Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. I'd imagine that around the hives and captured cities of The Mist there might be some communicative issues yes? Probably right up to the fronts the humans are defending, maybe a bit more toward territory. Just wanted to clarify as the current equipment I have for my character is semi-dependent on the disruption capabilities of the aliens.

Well I've always wanted to make an AI character who learns how to be more human, and learns from spending time with other people so he/she can learn social skills. If I was to make a character such as this, what are my limitations?
Not sure what you mean there. AIs would be limited to functioning about the same as humans, so no being some sort of cyberspace god or whatever. Most of them are probably secret enough that "don't let on you're an AI" might also be something to consider. Although, come to think of it, I'd meant limited more in terms of limited number of characters with AI-related things.

Quick question. I'd imagine that around the hives and captured cities of The Mist there might be some communicative issues yes? Probably right up to the fronts the humans are defending, maybe a bit more toward territory. Just wanted to clarify as the current equipment I have for my character is semi-dependent on the disruption capabilities of the aliens.
The monsters probably run some sort of jamming. There's definitely a general loss of communications for the usual reasons in war: destruction of infrastructure and so-on. And really, if you want to do stuff related to a thing they might do, then it's easy enough to say "yeah, that's totally a thing". So, what sort of stuff are you relying on? Outline it and we'll make it a reality.

Not sure what you mean there. AIs would be limited to functioning about the same as humans, so no being some sort of cyberspace god or whatever. Most of them are probably secret enough that "don't let on you're an AI" might also be something to consider. Although, come to think of it, I'd meant limited more in terms of limited number of characters with AI-related things.

The monsters probably run some sort of jamming. There's definitely a general loss of communications for the usual reasons in war: destruction of infrastructure and so-on. And really, if you want to do stuff related to a thing they might do, then it's easy enough to say "yeah, that's totally a thing". So, what sort of stuff are you relying on? Outline it and we'll make it a reality.
Alright, I don't plan on making it a god or whatever. I was thinking of something with the personality of bastion from overwatch. But nothing overpowered. I'll get started on it and I'll let you be judge of it.

The whole premise of her equipment was that she was a surveillance/information relay for blackout zones and patrolling the front. Nothing too much. Night patrols and her own radio station, and spying on some people/the aliens.

Last edited:
I've finally chosen an image so now I can work on my character ahh

The whole premise of her equipment was that she was a surveillance/information relay for blackout zones and patrolling the front. Nothing too much. Night patrols and her own radio station, and spying on some people/the aliens.
Sounds good. That's a pretty important role to fill, anyway. Someone's got to keep an eye on the entire battle, too.

@Kit-n-Kat

Hey so like is your charrie like more "eye in the sky" surveilance / espionage? Cuz for my charrie, I'm thinking of doing something similar but more along the lines of infiltrator? Like she is going to be along the lines of flier, stealth, jamming enemy radio, breaking and entering, close quarter combat too^^ Like a flying Black Widow but cute. Cuz my charrie is gunna be not so bad attitude and cleavage-y ;D

Acutally know what? I'mma see what you gots then I'll post mine k?

1.jpg

Name: Laarni Himig
Rank: Petty Officer 3rd Class (Originally from the Navy rather than army)
Nationality: Liwanag - An archipelago with close ties to neighboring countries and an extremely conservative culture due to religious influences. The northern (and largest) island has since fallen, but the southern provinces have managed to stave off invading forces due to natural terrain advantages and the assistance of its allies. The country's economy is one based around agriculture, craft and trade.
Appearance: Due to Liwanag's stance about body augmentations and improvements, Laarni appears to be largely human save for giant headphones around her head. It's still not unusual for her to hold an old-fashioned gun, as much her cybernetics are only meant to improve existing bodily functions, not add new features to it. As far as her figure goes, she's proud to say there was no augmentation done to create that look.

History:
Laarni grew up largely unconcerned with the rest of the world, only knowing about the monsters from news clips on television. Though her heart went out for them, it was all so far removed from her reality it never really left an impact on her life. They might as well not exist for the young girl, and for most of the population on Basilan, that was true.

But peace is never meant to last, and her picture-perfect road to adulthood was disrupted when refugees from the north came to their little island. This was when the world's reality came crashing down. Her own relatives - cousins she played with as a kid - came to their house with crystals on their arms and legs, telling her of the horrors of war. Guilt from the years of living her life with blinders on caught up with her, and she resolved to apply for the navy, with most of the battles against the invaders at sea.

Unfortunately, she was the first to understand that she was ill-suited to be on the forefront of war. Laarni accepted an education based around language and translation, acting as an armed liaison between Liwanag and its allies. At that time, her country was still vehemently against cybernetics as a whole, saying it was a crime against god to change what he created. As more of Liwanag was lost to the monsters, and more of their neighbors pressured them to accept the technology, eventually they gave... with a lot of reluctance.

The young woman volunteered as one of their more "elite" tests, citing her experience of interacting with foreign militaries and familiarity with their tech as her selling point. They bought it. However, Liwanag's facilities and technology, as well as their principles regarding augmentation, limited their cybernetics. Everything except for the changes to her spinal cord is very standard of any cyborg soldier. For Laarni, this was fine, as she was able to appear non-threatening to their allies even if her combat abilities were lacking versus others of her kind.

Despite the fact that she was now trained in cyborg-specific battle, much of the diplomat in Laarni hasn't changed. She's still an extremely amiable entity, with a playfully flirty attitude to those within her team, regardless of gender. However, she keeps firm ethics and carefully distinguishes between times where more serious behavior is called for. A sense of competitiveness keeps her in top shape, but she's not one to desire more than what she can do. Her country's beliefs have left a lasting impression on her. While she won't openly criticize or judge someone who's fully embraced their cybernetic side, Laarni continues to feel many reservations on the matter.

Gear:
Much of Laarni's gear is standard for any augmented human (improved limbs, eyesight and hearing), save for a few adjustments that make her a member of the "elite" team. Most of these are sensitive and internal, making her body somewhat fragile and delicate when it comes to changes and improvements.

First is her spinal cord, Liwanag's pride and joy when it comes to cybernetics. Many have tried to improve what connects the brain to the rest of the body, often with disastrous results. For Laarni, it has improved her flexibility to the point an olympic gymnast would feel envy and heightened her own reflexes as the nerves themselves were changed to accommodate a faster relay time.

Next is her lungs... or rather, somewhere along her respiratory track that has enabled her to breathe indefinitely underwater. They've yet to test it on other things (such as poison gas), but many call it a step in the right direction.

And lastly, the headphones, courtesy of Front Line Heavy Industries. Her headphones further improve her hearing capabilities, while also recording what she sees and hears and relaying the information to the command center if possible.

Here we go, tell me if anything needs changing. I think I might have gone a bit overboard, but still, it's fun.
@R-9 Pilot @Sir Pinkleton I hope what I wrote was pretty good. Considering what the GM wrote about influences from Strike Witches, I thought that something like the below might be necessary. If you'd like to discuss more in private, or here even, I would love to.
EDIT - Slight edits, nothing major.
EDIT 2 - Screw it. Here's the photo just to mix with the other posts.
EDIT 3 - Minor edit to equipment.

konachan-com-195294-blonde_hair-blue_eyes-bodysuit-long_hair-mechagirl-original-ugume.jpg

Name: Lucy Morrison
"Spire" "DJ Morri"
Nationality: New Victoria (Got a better name? Throw it at me.)

Formed on the large islands off the coast of the mainland Europe(Name Required), Victorian citizens haven't been hit all too hard by the war due to the quality of defense forces they have. While they themselves aren't too industrious, New Victoria has a strong economy due to the scientific trade between international companies and nearby countries, along with luxuries and being a midpoint for trade. Most of their cyborg elite are created in different countries or nations, in exchange for testing grounds and assistance in R&D for weapons.

Appearance: Photo here (As for some reason I can't resize photos)

Lucy stands at 5'6 without her flight-gear on, as the rig takes 3 inches off her legs and replaces them with secondary thrusters. She has a notable figure, despite being somewhat young for enlisting. It is partially due to her reconstruction, though she thought that it was worth it. Lucy's equipment, after the initial combat tests and deployment, has since changed color scheme. Most of it is black with blue accents, with the New Victorian Flag (Pardon my trash, but I tried) on her shoulders and on each of her wings. Her usual 'bodysuit' has the same color scheme as her flight-gear, as does her headset. Her more casual clothing all varies depending on weather and whatnot.

History:

Lucy grew up on the coast, native to New Victoria. Her childhood was pretty simple, nothing really outstanding. A bit of a fascination with tea and other cultures exposure to technology, the Internet, music. Her older brother, David, enlisted in the Victorian Army, not too short before the war started. He didn't last all too long, defending the country with his all. But it gave her something to work forward to, her own drive for the war.

Her schooling was pretty generic. She was never a star athlete, she didn't stand out during her school. She was pretty average with her grades. She got into music and photography quite a bit, just as more of a side thing. She enjoyed the art of photography, taking pictures of the water and what scenes she could find. Lucy owned a relatively older camera as she found it 'classier' than some of the much smaller cameras used today. As for music, she always had a habit of keeping some playing in her ears.

Before long, she too was given an opportunity in the military. The country had a project they were working on, and needed a small handful of people to test out some equipment. They didn't care all too much for age, only really willing people with proper genetics willing to mirror the successes in those countries hit much harder by the war, and those countries with much larger funding. It was smaller than some other programs, and this particular project wasn't all too interested in heavier weaponry. As science based as New Victoria was, they were looking for some more applications for advancements other than heavy weapons. There were more than enough cyborg soldiers out in the front. Doesn't mean she isn't interested in fighting.

At first terrified and reluctant, Lucy's initial experience was one of doubt, quite obviously. There had been many companies which had done this before, and they were primarily assisting the New Victorian government on this, but barely about to turn 18, she had doubts. She was slowly turned after the two weeks before the surgery by the memory of her brother and Victorian Pride, figuring that entering the military would help quite a bit. She was one of the more capable of the candidates, genetics wise.

Skip to past the initial surgery, Lucy's proper recovery has been relatively smooth, save for a few restless nights of dreams of detachment. She had to get a few more additions to her rig, particularly for the basis of the flight-gear she was to be equipped with later on, but other than that it was pretty okay the first time around. As per the Victorian ideas of when she started, she was mostly intended to be a support type for communications. After receiving the initial rig for her flight-gear, her own input was taken into consideration with test results in mind. Her own gear was finished, ready for any simple changes needed for fights. After that, she was deployed to an assortment of bases on the front for scouting and communications assistance.

She's been adjusting pretty well to the life, although somewhat lax when she's off on her own for night runs or for patrols, although she's slightly been changed by both exposure to people and the war. She has some new pride for New Victoria, as most militaries shape their recruits, though it comes from many sources. She was able to continue her photography and music through her career, even better now that she has the enhancements.

There's a small bit of rivalry between some Victorian and Kenshimanese cyborgs, nothing too official or branded by the government or supporting corporations. It's more of a subtle culture detail, these new types of people are being branded as marketing techniques over in the east, suddenly a few Victorian cyborgs pop into the picture as war propaganda. Maybe it's Victorian pride, maybe it's the way that the easterners hold themselves standard wise and create such high images of themselves of superiority to those others with similar combat experience. Lucy and a few others just share the same disdain for their culture. Despite that, Lucy herself used her augmentation as a bit of advertisement for her own podcasts, radio station and DJing which she usually hosts from the front when possible.

Lucy herself finds it kind of irritating, hearing about the sensations from the east basically using staged combat experience to keep getting funding for their projects. While she can't complain, as she's somewhat guilty of it herself, Lucy sees how some Kenshimanese cyborgs take it to heart, take it to attitude, and that's the part that irks her. Sure, she has her own internet persona and the elites are relatively well known, but she doesn't try to let her pride take over. Keyword is try, because with her exposure to the military and other cyborgs from around the world, it was somewhat hard keeping in her thoughts.

Cyberware and Gear:

Lucy's main equipment is a higher altitude platform designed for a supporting role in communications and in artillery. Her Nova R-Mk.VIIc primarily is a communication relay and scouting unit for those situations where satellite arrays or drones are incapable of gathering information or relaying information effectively. Usually for threat of destruction of the equipment. She usually oversees the front or any battles from the backlines while using her unit for keeping communications up. The basis of the Nova platform stays the same through the family, two primary wings behind the shoulder blades, attaching to two rear hardpoints on the spine accessible to most, with a tail rig which involves secondary thrusters, secondary armaments, and power supply. Usually shields. The primary modifications involve the rear hardpoint on the upper spinal rig..

The R-Mk. VIIc (Relay Mark 7 Custom) is Lucy's modification, primarily with a more powerful transmission for communications and a stronger primary thruster for higher acceleration and top speed, with maneuverability issues at higher speeds. To cut down to the weight restriction, Lucy had to remove most of the armor and shielding, along with most secondary armaments. The three secondary thrusters on the rear also double as transmitters and receivers. As thrusters, they are mostly used for staying in the same relative position in the air, and same altitude. For weapons, attached to the main rear thruster module, is a Front Line Redeye Beam Cannon, fires over the shoulder for long range strikes. It takes a bit of charge time and sometimes tends to shut down Lucy's communications for the charge, as she suffers from some overuse issues with power. (Blame her musical habits). She is capable of switching out the Redeye for other weapons, although strongly prefers it for it's range. Her mediocre secondary weapons are two small missile launchers which is quite below par, cheap and mostly used for self defense. (Blame the weight constraints).

For personal equipment, Lucy has a detachable headset which is a link for communications and for an enhanced HUD, which forms a hologram in front of her left eye. The headset has a small but powerful camera on it, though she keeps an older camera in a small storage box in her flight rig.. Her arms also create projections for when she does her whole music demonstrations. It tends to help her when she's in the air, sorting through the airwaves. Her internal gear already helps her with sorting through multiple audio channels. She prefers the headset for its style and ease rather than implementing everything into her eyes, already augmented for vision. Between her flight-gear and her own augments, Lucy has a tendency to constantly sort between various information waves, sometimes browsing the internet, streaming video of the beauty of captured cities, and often times just messing around with music. Her lungs and rest of her internal organs are slightly altered for survivability in high altitudes. That doesn't mean she doesn't like to wear a scarf sometimes when she's high in the air.

Last edited:
Fortunately, Iwaku scales down images that would otherwise break the formatting.

Also, characters are looking solid so far. I'll probably wait a few days for any more to trickle in, then close sign-ups for now and get the IC started. So, that in mind, it may be good to discuss a bit about where you might want to be based (even in a general sense like on the front lines, or more a defensive garrison elsewhere, or whatever else), how and if your respective characters would know each other, and so-on.

To add my own few cents, I can see some fun rivalry between the not-Japanse girls and the not-English one. Including fighting over who has the best tea, in Aya's case. Marisa, being in a less active role, is likely to be more NPC-like most of the time. Not that it doesn't mean you could know her somehow which might mean she'd pick on you or work well with you, etc.

My other important question would be for rooming. Because forcing characters to share space is fun, it's probably dorms with 2-3 in a room. Not sure if it'll be randomly assigned (within gender boundaries) or not. But if you can think of someone you want to spend more downtime with, it's an option.

So my character will be up soon, I just want to add his personality because it wasn't shown in the background. That and his gear needs to be done.

Cool deal. No actual rush, but I figure getting the ball rolling on other discussion is good, now that we have characters to talk about and such.

• Love
Reactions: ~\The Talentless/~
When Laarni learns that the not-Japanese people are being constantly filmed, she'll probably throw a peace sign and a wink for shits and giggles, likely to the ire of Masako. :') She enjoys pushing people's buttons gomen

It'd probably be hard not to photobomb them once you know that's what they're trying to do, so no problems. And pushed buttons are fun anyway. I once ran a game that involved an ongoing prank war between roommates during the downtime. Which included such fun events as fake tentacles and beds being destroyed via fire magic (in overreaction to said tentacles).

When Laarni learns that the not-Japanese people are being constantly filmed, she'll probably throw a peace sign and a wink for shits and giggles, likely to the ire of Masako. :') She enjoys pushing people's buttons gomen
Masako will probably just try to pose harder!!!

I need to catch up on bios, there's a lot of ground to cover!

I feel Sylphie would try to resist the live stream craze in her own ways but warm up to it with peer pressure. Voskadi muscle festivaaaal!

Unsure if they'd censor live feed because of secret tech, probably not. If they were censoring her appearances she'd probably be lowkey bummed out, lol

@TuttyTheFruity
Laarni would tell her she's too cute to share to the rest of the world

im already having fun just imagining her interacting with everyone
Masako's already kind of a tryhard, so it shouldn't be hard, haha.

She's supposed to be the friendship-equivalent of tsundere.

@ TuttyTheFruity

Not sure if you're referring to the Kenshima cybers, but they don't livestream. Too many odd angles and chances to look unappealing. All the footage and photographs are sent to an editor who then edits things together to look good. You know that thing where editors can use editing software to make someone look unrealistically gorgeous? Basically that.

Last edited:
As for prior relationships, Sylphie's quarantine probably makes everyone a stranger to her. She doesn't actually need a bed either, though once she's cleared for contact they'd probably stick her in a room anyway (without giving her a bed, cuz penny-pinching rude dudes).

Maybe @R-9 Pilot 's Aya might've heard about some of her piloting exploits if she has any interest in air combat. Figure Sylphie might be a good mentor for her

Status
Not open for further replies.