Disillusioned

P

PoetLore

Micah sat high atop the pinnacle of the Hexell Building looking down over the city. Lights flashed and sirens echoed through the night as his ears heard the hateful and cruelty of the humans below. Why was he even there anymore? His mind begged for the millionth time for leave to return to heaven and leave these men to their foolish fates, but as always the same silence was heard echoing in his soul. He knew the sound of a no from God.

Drawing up on knee to his chest, he wrapped an arm around it and unfurled his wings to relax a bit. Maybe he was trying to force things, his mind cast about for a reason for the long stretch of inactivity. His head fell back as his chin lifted to the starry night sky. At least the heavens still shone with glory to ease his tired and weary soul as he endured the work he was given to accomplish. His eyes slid closed as he drew in a breath of night air, filling his lungs with the myriad of human indulgences, food, pollution, so many others. It often made him wonder why God endured them, but that was not his place to question. They were not his creation. Perhaps if they were, his compassion might be a little more long suffering. Maybe...

His head lowered as he became aware of another presence nearby. "Speak your peace....I would rather be alone..."

Emellia exited the bar she had been in for the past thirty minutes, growing bored quite fast and making her way up the fire escape of a nearby apartment building. She didn't enjoy walking the crowded sidewalks, especially not at this hour when men decided to drink till they dropped and women were loud and obnoxious. She shook her head as she made it up to the roof, walking easily along the ledge, her hands in her pockets of her jacket. At least she was free to wander the city without being cooped up inside some room for hours, or even days, on end.

As she hopped over to another rooftop, she noticed someone sitting atop the Hexell Building. Not just anyone though, it was an angel. I thought they didn't like being noticed... She thought to herself as she moved to sit on the ledge just across from where he was. She looked him over, admiring his wings mainly. Sometimes, she wished she could see what it was like to be an angel but then she frowned and sighed. Angels were thought of to be high and mighty and that was something she didn't like very much.

When he spoke to her, she rolled her eyes. "Thinking too much is bad for you, ya know." she said, resting her hands beside her and kicking her feet lightly, her heels just barely hitting the building. "And being alone is no fun. Why don't you come and vent to me? I'm a good listener." she added with a grin, a set of sharp canines now exposed. She didn't mind though since it was all part of being a demon. She didn't endure too much hate as she got older, being who she was. At least, not from humans anyways. Angels were a different story but, she did her best to be kind to everyone.

Micah lifted his head and turned to look at the one sitting so close to the edge of the other building. He knew what she was, occupational hazard. And since he had not felt it necessary to hide what he was atop the tallest building in the city, she knew what he was...partly.

He rested his arm atop the knee of his bent leg and then rested his chin upon the arm. His wings folded behind him and he lifted a brow, "What would I have need to vent to a demon?" he asked quietly, though his voice traveled to her just fine. His wings flutter behind him a second time as they positioned themselves and settled to lie flat to his back. He was wondering why she was attempting to converse with him. Most demons ran from angels, especially one of his kind. Though his abilities were not as powerful as say, Gabriel or Michael the archangels, they were still considerably stronger than most angels that roamed the face the of the earth.

She didn't particularly like the way he looked at her but, who could blame him? Demons weren't known to be good company in most situations. She gave a smile though, despite wanting to go over and slap him or something. No, she needed to be calm and well behaved. The last thing she needed was to go against the rules.

"I'm not really surprised you know of me." she told him, waving her hand dismissively. "But, venting to anyone is helpful, even if it's about them. Could help you feel better." she added.

She wasn't good when it came to giving advice but, she just said what she believed was right. If it wasn't something that helped, she would change what she said or just give up. She wondered if he was one of the angels who actually despised demons. She had a good guess but, she could also be wrong. He didn't seem to be in the greatest of moods so, she took that into consideration.

He watched her flash the smile and felt wariness well up within him. demons and smiles were not generally compatible unless they were trying to tempt you into something that would in an undetermined amount of time, be your eventual ruin. They were crafty, sly and very versed in the weaknesses of humans which they exploited with deadly acumen.

He didn't despise demons. They were minions of the dark one, doing as bidden, and in his mind at least, they were to be pitied. Decision made eons ago meant that they would spend all eternity separated from God and anything good once the end of this time came. Whatever joy they could attain and derive in this flawed world was all they would ever see. That fact alone, tempered his treatment of them. Still, they made his job so difficult.

"So you wish me to tell you how your very existence in this world vexes my spirit and hinders my appointed role?" he asked lifting his head to regard her, "It would seem obvious, I think. Anything we would be attempting to achieve would have at its very core a diametrically opposed ideology and aim." His hand swept out over the city, "I try to inspire people to faith and holiness, and you to their ruin and death. Yes, I wish you were not present in this world. Are you happy now?"

Emellia frowned as he spoke, taking some offense to his words but, she had asked so she had no logical right to be upset. She huffed once he was finished, crossing her arms across her chest. "Well, your feelings are your own and, I can't say I agree one hundred percent. Angels and demons have things in common but, they are also different. Well, we are different I should say." she spoke, changing her attention from him down to the city below. From up where they were, it looked beautiful due to the lights.

"You don't seem like most angels I've met." she told him when she looked at him once more. She stood on the edge of the building before tilting her head in a curious manner. "Are you sure you're like...full angel?" she questioned, honestly curious, not trying to make him angry or anything. He didn't seem to hate her so, that was good.

Micah listened and chuckled a bit, "We have things in common?" he asked, "I would be interested to know what they might be?" And he was. She was the strangest demon he'd ever encountered. He watched her curiously, making not of her slight anger at his words, but how she backed off from it afterward. How odd. most demons he'd ever encountered were ready for a fight at all times.

Her next comment though had his chin lifting from his arm, "I am all angel," he replied, "What is different about me?"

He laughed. That was a good sign in her opinion. "Well, for starters, you seem to enjoy thinking a lot on your own. Then there's the way you feel about my kind. The way you feel is how I feel sometimes but, it's mostly towards the ones who are evil without reason to be." Emellia said, shrugging. "Plus, you find me to be different than most demons. Probably finding me odd and, I'd have to agree."

She shrugged. "Most angels would ignore me or tell me to 'go to hell'." she rolled her eyes and easily hopped over to where he was, offering her hand to him as a handshake. "I'm Emellia." she introduced herself, feeling like they could at least try to be mature.

Micah listened to her list, though short, and nodded. "I will not dispute this much." He wasn't necessarily agreeing, but he wasn't going to argue over it either. "Thinking within myself is uncommon among angels?" he asked, wondering at her observation. How very strange. Was it odd among his kind? Musing within himself for a time had him concluding that perhaps it was. Most angels followed their express orders and did not take the time to consider if it was expedient or even good. He knew all God's edicts were good, and for the good of those He chose to send His angels to in assistance. Still, he knew that personally he spent a lot of time wondering why God bothered.

She hopped over to his building ad extended her hand, "Micah," he replied accepting the token of civility at face value. "Do you often attempt to befriend angels Emellia?"

She shrugged. If anything, she tried to be decent to everyone who she crossed paths with, demon, angel or human. Hell, even other non-humans if there were any. She didn't want a reputation like her father. At the thought of him, she sighed. "I just try to be nice to people, human and non-human. So, you could say I'm not entirely like other demons despite me being one-hundred percent demon." she said with a grin. "Besides, my dad got pretty much told never to be around anyone ever again except my mother due to his...terrible attitude and I'd rather not end up like him. Angry and bitter." she added, opening the locket around her neck and humming.

"Hey, if you don't have anything to do, you wanna go down into the city and relax? I don't know if you drink or not but, there's a nifty little bar I want to go to plus, it might help you to stop thinking so much about the negative stuff."

She didn't normally ask to go for drinks but, thinking of and mentioning her father seemed to cause her to become a little...bothered. Hate was a strong word and what she felt for the older demon was close to it. Now she needed a distraction from those thoughts before she picked a fight with someone to release the anger. "Or we can walk around. I'm not opposed to that."

Micah tipped his head and listened. He was very good at listening. Listening, combined with his angelic powers, allowed him to hear not only what was said, but what was not said as well. She hated her father, because he was angry and bitter. Wasn't that the basic underlying emotion of all demons? He would have said yes, a few moments ago.

The smile that curled his lips was accompanied by a slight sparkle in his eyes. "No, I do not drink alcohol...but most of those places have coffee don't they?" He pushed up from the edge of the building and in a blink, his wings were no longer visible. A pair of blue jeans, a blue button-up shirt with the top two buttons undone and the sleeves rolled up a few times and black and blue running shoes became his attire just as quickly.

He motioned to her, "Lead on."

Emellia giggled. "Of course. They have coffee and tea plus some nice cakes too." she told him, her dress changing from it's purple color to black as she stretched her arms above her head, smiling as she hopped down from the edge of the building, landing rather lightly on her feet. She tucked a lock of hair behind her left ear, making her way down the sidewalk after Micah was on the sidewalk as well. She folded her hands together behind her as they walked, gazing up at the sky. She knew how to get to the bar she was leading Micah to so, the walk would seem to be at ease.

"When you aren't doing your angel work, what do you enjoy doing?" she asked, glancing over to him as she walked beside him. She turned the corner and continued on her way. She knew she was probably asking too many questions but, it was helping her to clear her thoughts at the moment, not enough to calm her completely though.

It wasn't long before they arrived at the bar, the entrance down a short set of stairs. She walked down and the door was opened for the two of them and she smiled, giving her thanks and entering, walking down a hall and through a black curtain. The bar was beautiful, the tables organized in a pattern, people sitting at the bar and talking, laughing and enjoying their drinks and music playing.

"Here we are." she said as she walked over to the bar, sitting on one of the stools.

Micah followed her to the sidewalk, where like her his landing was graceful and silent. "I like to sing," he said, "Most angels do. And I enjoy reading as well...though I have little time for it while I am earth bound. What about you? What do you do when you are not doing whatever Demons do?"

He descended the few steps and had the fleeting thought that it was fitting that a bar went down below the ground, since that was where most people who partook of it ended up. He stepped through the door and then through the curtain and looked around. It was a very nice place, not a dump like some bars were, but upscale and tastefully decorated, "Nice place," he said as he sat next to her, "Do you come here often then?"

"I sing and play the violin. I also like cooking a bit, mostly meats." Her hobbies weren't the most interesting but, it was something to do when she wasn't working. It helped her relax after doing something stressful which was all that mattered to her.

"I come here almost on a daily basis, yes. Like I said, they have more than just alcohol and you can choose what music plays sometimes. It's a safe zone too." she explained before ordering herself some vodka. She didn't admit to him that she didn't always drink alcohol and would let him think what he wanted to. She didn't really care. "So, do you have a house or do you just wander around?" she asked, glancing over to him and taking a sip of her drink.

Micah smiled, "The violin is a beautiful instrument. I prefer the piano for its versatility, but music seems to come very easily in any form.. It is very relaxing and at time cathartic." He settled himself comfortably on his stool and nodded to her words about the choices available there. "Do you write songs? Or just sing things you have heard?" he asked obviously preferring that topic. He ordered Coffee black and then waited for her reply. He thought nothing of her beverage choice, and was not about to assign a meaning to it either.

"A safe zone?" he repeated, "What does that mean?"

Her next question had his head turning to regard her oddly, "Do Demons have homes?' he asked brusquely unable to hide his shock and curiosity. "I think some angels do, but not me. My work is a bit too transitory in nature for such a luxury. Honestly, until you asked, I had not given is any thought at all. Do you?"

Emellia was glad when he smiled, feeling more at peace even if for a moment. "I don't write songs. Sometimes I sing things I've heard or I make something up on the spot, depending on my mood or what I feel like doing." she shrugged, sipping her drink and setting it down with a sigh, closing her eyes. She hadn't had a drink in weeks and, it felt nice to have one, especially in good company.

"Safe zones are where people, humans and non-humans, can gather together or go and just relax, not worrying over work or problems and, those who are evil are no permitted so...no assassins, bounty hunters...you get what I mean." she waved her hand dismissively, taking another sip as she prepared herself for his next question which made her laugh, covering her mouth and blushing as a couple demons looked over to her.

"Yes, demons have homes. I have a home since most of my work is set in town but, if I have to travel, I can just pack up and go." she said once she stopped laughing, the bartender sliding her another glass filled with whiskey this time. "If you ever get the chance to settle down, even for a few days, there are some nice places to stay that are also safe zones like my apartment. The building isn't too fancy but, it's cozy." She smiled as she looked into her glass for a moment before lifting it to her lips and drinking down half of it.

Micah watched her drink down the alcohol and held onto his coffee cup waiting for it to cool a bit before enjoying it's rich dark flavors. She explained what a safe zone was and he huffed looking around at their fellow patrons, "Are you saying the humans here know about us? Or just that those of our kind agree to be.. seen but not seen here?" There were rules governing their behaviors among the humans. Angels were strictly forbidden to show themselves unless given permission by an archangel. He was one of that type, so he could show himself if it would further his mission, or help someone find their way in the darkness of this world. He very rarely did so, because it was not always effective.

"It is good you have a home," he said as he listened and watched her closely. "What sort of work do you do then?' he asked, "You do not seem to be on the normal demon mission, if you will forgive my generalization."

She shook her head, taking another sip of her drink and raising a finger. "Nobody here knows who you are unless you tell. Everyone mingles here though but, be cautious just in case you have some sort of rule among whoever your people are...." she said, waving her hand dismissively and sliding her glass towards the bartender who filled it up again. She was glad that she was able to handle her liquor, knowing she'd probably end up shit faced if she was human.

"I'm glad to have a home too. As for my work.. I go and play music at functions specifically for demons. That and I'm a messenger but, I can't get into detail about the messenger work." she said, smiling and taking a long sip of her refilled drink. She sighed and cleared her throat. "Listen, if you aren't gonna be busy later on and early in the morning, you should totally come over. I don't have roommates unless you count a couple of pets."

Emellia was just starting to get a little buzzed, easily hiding it unless someone paid close attention. Someone walked over to them and whispered to Emellia who giggled and shook her head. "Not interested, pal." she told him, watching him glance to Micah then grumbling about how it wasn't fair and shuffling away.

Micah watched her drinking and wondered exactly how many of those she could intake without needing carried home. "I rarely tell," he said with a slight grin. "People in this time are unbelievers anyway, even of your kind. I find it an interesting phenomenon though." Humans were such an interesting lot, in general terms, but as a group they were pathetically weak minded and easily led about by any whim or notion of the wind. There were always those few exceptions, but they were becoming more and more rare to find.

He actually laughed then, "No, I would not expect you to elaborate on such a comment. And I would not in the reverse, hopefully we can agree to be private in such matters, at least for now." She was a messenger. That was interesting. He had little contact with the rest of his kind, as his work was of a different nature than most, and his direct line of communication with the Almighty was such as did not require a messenger. He did know that the Minions of the fallen one, were not privileged with such power since their leader was as himself, a created being, and one of equal power to himself, Michael and Gabriel. He honestly pitied Lucifer's minions, they had believed his lies, just as Eve had. He brushed the thought aside and drank some of his coffee.

He watched a man approach her and pretended not to hear, though he did. "I am ...waiting...at the moment, so I have no plans." He confessed, "What sort of pets do you have?"

Emellia gave a nod. It was good that he didn't tell people if at all. "You do have a point." she said, going to finish her drink but finding it empty. Did she do that without noticing? Oh well. She held the glass out to the bartender who promptly filled it once more with a smile.

His laugh made her look to him, a look of interest on her face. She liked his laugh. "Sure we can keep private things as they are." she shrugged, glad he didn't ask her anything more on the subject of her job. The last thing she needed was trouble for letting an angel know what went on with her kind. A sigh passed her lips as she took a sip of her refilled drink, closing her eyes. His next question brought a smile to her face and she turned her attention to him.

"2 cats, both black, a snake and I'm working on adopting a bearded dragon." she told him, clearly proud to have the pets she had and would get. "Thinking about getting a dog too." she added before downing her drink and turning to the bartender as she pulled her wallet from her pocket and pulled out some money, setting it on the bar top. He was surprised but took the money and refilled her glass before mixing another drink and setting that down as well. "Do you have any pets?" she asked when she turned her attention back to Micah, picking up the mixed drink and eyeing it before taking a sip.