Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. No Preferences
Hi there! Since this is a website basically based on the concept of creative writing, I've decided to ask for your two cents on a matter closely connected. It's really simple, really: I want to write a book, a novel, really.

I hope this doesn't come off as too cocky, but I do realise that it's not an easy feat and I am fully aware of the efforts and the amount of research it takes to write one. I also have a concept and a story I want to tell. I just want to be precise and say I am not planning on writing a best-seller or even publishing it at all, it is more the case, that I almost physically need to tell the story I have in mind. In other words, I am doing the writing for the sake of myself, not for the sake of anything or anyone else.

What I lack is... well, the title says it - discipline. Practically I could start writing right now and I could finish a chapter. But it's so much easier to just turn on a game, talk to someone on skype, read a book etc. etc. etc. In the age of information the distractions are endless and since I write on my laptop, I am constantly exposed. It has often happened to me, that I doze off into mindless scrolling despite being on a promising, exciting chapter in my story. So, I guess at least some of you are doing writing apart from roleplaying here, I'd like some advice on how do you cope with such issues.

Thanks!

Honestly anything I could say would pale in comparison to something that I recently read.

I suggest you, hell anyone who has issues with getting focused on something give them a read.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Routines can be helpful. Tell yourself you're going to work on something from X:00-Y:00 every day (or every weekday, or whatever you think would work best), and stick to it. That way, you know that after that time is up, you're free to goof off guiltlessly. In the meantime, though? This is the time you've set aside to write. Use it. Plus, knowing when your designated writing time is over means you have a goal, and you can tell yourself, "I only need to keep this up for X more minutes", and then you can relax and do whatever. It's a good way of being able to look back at your progress each day, too.

Oh, and it doesn't need to be one solid chunk of time, either -- break it up into smaller chunks throughout the day if that works for you. Or, perhaps, do a lot of work on X, Y, Z days of the week and relax on the others. Do whatever works best for your schedule and habits -- just so long as you set aside specific hours and make sure you stick to them.

Hah, thank everyone, this was actually useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.