Disappointing movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening scene in Spectre was brilliant.

The rest of it... oooh boy. I got the distinct impression that Daniel Craig was totally done playing Bond while filming this.
I couldn't agree more. They really drag you in and get you excited for the film, only to slap you after thirty minutes with a rag freshly pulled from Bond's bum hole.

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
Oblivion with Tom Cruise. I was expecting a lot more. The preview pulled me in but when I watched it I was very disappointed.

Batman VS Superman - Just finished this about 30 minutes ago tops. Just feels rushed as a result of going straight to the rivalry and not giving Batman his own movie first to have a proper backstory. So even just among the two of them alone the movie was juggling too much. Then they added Wonder Woman, who granted wasn't as rushed as the trailers led me to believe but... For Gods Sake I wish her and Batman could have just had their own movie BEFORE this one happened.

The Last Airbender - You condense an entire season into a single movie? That almost always ends up bad, even more so when it's an anime to live adaption deal... But dear god did this movie manage to even fall below THOSE expectations.

Star Wars Episode 7 - I already tackled this one in great depth but to cut it short? Save for Kylo Ren the only marginally interesting characters were from the Originals (shame since John Boyega's a good actor), but even Kylo Ren had a number of problems. The movie overall was rushed, and lacked ANY originally. It feels more accurate to call Episode 7 "A New Hope Fan Film with high budgeting" because they copied that movie almost scene for scene. And yes, I know many people are going to cry out and defend it with "They just needed to bring back the fans. Respect the roots before being creative!". BULL, FUCKING, SHIT and you know it! If they cared to be original they'd do it at the get go, you don't need an entire damn movie to prove you like it's history, just a couple of references would have done it just fine.

Godzilla - To this movie's defence, it just isn't my style. Godzilla is one of those simple movies, you have a giant lizard, giant lizard destroys shit, humans react. Simple concept, nothing that deep or complex about it. Which is completely fine, just not my own style. However, that's not the reason this movie is here. It's here because considering what I mentioned above, this movie really should have focused on Godzilla. But it didn't, in fact Godzilla was more of a side show to a lead who did some of the most idiotic shit including telling his wife to stay in the city being destroyed... like WTF dude. No hate on the actor though, Aaron Taylor is amazing in Kick Ass. Though speaking of actors, they also really shouldn't have killed Bryan Cranston early... Like why? He practically carried the movie when he was around and it all just fell apart afterwards. Like, if you're going to make Godzilla a side show WTH are you doing killing your best actor so quickly?

Space Odyssey 2001 - *Braces for hate comments if Godzilla and Star Wars didn't already provoke it*. This movie is a hell of a lot of fun to dig into for deeper meaning and such. But... It really lacks pacing, at all. The first 30 minutes is following apes for gods sake. That combined with a good portion of the rest of the movie filled with completely quiet (though scientifically accurate in that part) and prolonged space ship operating scenes? You've got not that much content in the movie left that's... well, engaging.

Twilight - No I didn't come in with any expectations. My family roped me into seeing this movie almost immediately after it was out, so all I understood about it at the time was that it had Vampires... God damn did they butcher Vampires. o_o

Jupiter Ascending - No expectations with this one either. This was the result of a spontaneous road trip without making plans ahead of time. The only positive I can give this movie is that it's main villain is laughably horribly acted the way he switches in and out of yelling and having a sore throat all the time. This entire movie just gave the general impression of "If someone who never watched Sci-Fi before tried to write Sci-Fi fan-fiction".

Mad Max - Like with Godzilla, simple movie, not my kind of taste. Nothing wrong with that. My disappointment in this one was from people highlighting it had a history, and that they had such a good female lead. So I went in expecting some great writing mixed with simple heavy fun action... But writing ended up just being, there. All the characters were just, there. Bodies to fill a fun car chase. I did actually like the movie though, this was more just a disappointment due to hype from others. My overall rating of this one would have to be MEDIOCRE!!!

Halo The Fall of Reach - If there's one thing 343 can mess up more than Halo Games it's Halo Movies... The voice acting is the lowest quality, the animation is... Almost anyone on YouTube could beat it. This movie is really just there for them to say they made one. I'd suggest Forward Unto Dawn instead, that one's not great but it's at least passable and gives perspective the games don't.
:P I don't think I even knew who Shyamalan was when I first heard about that movie.
To be fair, from my own understanding before the Last Airbender it was only people who were strongly invested into film who knew the name. While after the movie, it was so bad that seemed to be what changed his reputation to be just among hardcore cinema people to practically everyone.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: foodforpigs
Batman VS Superman - Just finished this about 30 minutes ago tops. Just feels rushed as a result of going straight to the rivalry and not giving Batman his own movie first to have a proper backstory. So even just among the two of them alone the movie was juggling too much. Then they added Wonder Woman, who granted wasn't as rushed as the trailers led me to believe but... For Gods Sake I wish her and Batman could have just had their own movie BEFORE this one happened.

The Last Airbender - You condense an entire season into a single movie? That almost always ends up bad, even more so when it's an anime to live adaption deal... But dear god did this movie manage to even fall below THOSE expectations.

Star Wars Episode 7 - I already tackled this one in great depth but to cut it short? Save for Kylo Ren the only marginally interesting characters were from the Originals (shame since John Boyega's a good actor), but even Kylo Ren had a number of problems. The movie overall was rushed, and lacked ANY originally. It feels more accurate to call Episode 7 "A New Hope Fan Film with high budgeting" because they copied that movie almost scene for scene. And yes, I know many people are going to cry out and defend it with "They just needed to bring back the fans. Respect the roots before being creative!". BULL, FUCKING, SHIT and you know it! If they cared to be original they'd do it at the get go, you don't need an entire damn movie to prove you like it's history, just a couple of references would have done it just fine.

Godzilla - To this movie's defence, it just isn't my style. Godzilla is one of those simple movies, you have a giant lizard, giant lizard destroys shit, humans react. Simple concept, nothing that deep or complex about it. Which is completely fine, just not my own style. However, that's not the reason this movie is here. It's here because considering what I mentioned above, this movie really should have focused on Godzilla. But it didn't, in fact Godzilla was more of a side show to a lead who did some of the most idiotic shit including telling his wife to stay in the city being destroyed... like WTF dude. No hate on the actor though, Aaron Taylor is amazing in Kick Ass. Though speaking of actors, they also really shouldn't have killed Bryan Cranston early... Like why? He practically carried the movie when he was around and it all just fell apart afterwards. Like, if you're going to make Godzilla a side show WTH are you doing killing your best actor so quickly?

Space Odyssey 2001 - *Braces for hate comments if Godzilla and Star Wars didn't already provoke it*. This movie is a hell of a lot of fun to dig into for deeper meaning and such. But... It really lacks pacing, at all. The first 30 minutes is following apes for gods sake. That combined with a good portion of the rest of the movie filled with completely quiet (though scientifically accurate in that part) and prolonged space ship operating scenes? You've got not that much content in the movie left that's... well, engaging.

Twilight - No I didn't come in with any expectations. My family roped me into seeing this movie almost immediately after it was out, so all I understood about it at the time was that it had Vampires... God damn did they butcher Vampires. o_o

Jupiter Ascending - No expectations with this one either. This was the result of a spontaneous road trip without making plans ahead of time. The only positive I can give this movie is that it's main villain is laughably horribly acted the way he switches in and out of yelling and having a sore throat all the time. This entire movie just gave the general impression of "If someone who never watched Sci-Fi before trying to write Sci-Fi fan-fiction".

Mad Max - Like with Godzilla, simple movie, not my kind of taste. Nothing wrong with that. My disappointment in this one was from people highlighting it had a history, and that they had such a good female lead. So I went in expecting some great writing mixed with simple heavy fun action... But writing ended up just being, there. All the characters were just, there. Bodies to fill a fun car chase. I did actually like the movie though, this was more just a disappointment due to hype from others. My overall rating of this one would have to be MEDIOCRE!!!

Halo The Fall of Reach - If there's one thing 343 can mess up more than Halo Games it's Halo Movies... The voice acting is the lowest quality, the animation is... Almost anyone on YouTube could beat it. This movie is really just there for them to say they made one. I'd suggest Forward Unto Dawn instead, that one's not great but it's at least passable and gives perspective the games don't.

To be fair, from my own understanding before the Last Airbender it was only people who were strongly invested into film who knew the name. While after the movie, it was so bad that seemed to be what changed his reputation to be just among hardcore cinema people to practically everyone.

You hit Jupiter Ascending spot on.

Krampus- I was expecting a horror movie, and while it did have some danger and monster-type stuff, for me it just kind of fell flat. The family was terrible which is what they were going for I guess, but it's hard to be invested when you actually want everyone to die, the moral was awful (basically, you're the bad guy if you get tired of your family treating you like shit), and I was disappointed.

Godzilla (1998)
Anchorman 2

That's about it, off the top of my head, insofar as movies I was looking forward to, yet was completely disappointed after the fact.

I raise you one.
Godzilla_1998_Movie_Poster_zpsxfdvtnqp.jpg
Godzilla (1998)

Godzilla (1998) maybe bad but the soundtrack was awesome.

Avengers: Age of Ultron, it was crap. Basically it was the same premise as the first one but with a robot army and no attractive villain.

Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp. Once again I was hooked by the preview, rented it, and ten minutes in I was asking myself what the hell is this.

Transformers Age Of Extinction

I knew the movie was going to suck
major balls going in but I never knew it would be sooo atrocious. You know a movie's terrible when it manages to leap past your negative expectations from the get go. I mean like even the lighthearted comedic aspects that the film series is quite good at doing is badly executed in this movie. Even Revenge of the fallen, the movie I hated so much had more redeemable things about it than this shiz.

Gravity

Now this movie wasn't by any means bad or dreadful to watch but considering my expectations for the film going in...it could've done a whole lot better. Sandra Bullock acting was nothing special, basically leaving it all up to George Clooney who only had small amounts of screen time after a certain point. I think the movie would've been way better if him and Bullock shared the screen but I can partially see why it was done in the way it was.

The opening scene in Spectre was brilliant.

The rest of it... oooh boy. I got the distinct impression that Daniel Craig was totally done playing Bond while filming this.
Ah, I had a feeling that someone was going to mention Spectre. It's okay, but really underwhelming when compared to the other 3 Craig Bond movies.
But it had the potential to be so much better. It's main fault, I think, is that they never really explain what Spectre actually is and does.

Movies that really disappointed me:
Watchmen- Man, I really wanted to like this movie. I wasn't a fan of the Watchmen comics, but I thought the movie could condense it into something bearable, but it's too long for it's own good. There's just a lull in the middle, and then the film just falls into a series of flashbacks. For example, the Funeral scene. 3 flashbacks, with one flashback inside a flashback.
The 'Times they are a'changing' opening credits sequence is still the best part of the movie.

The Hobbit-Great book, terrible movies. They just tried to drag out one book into 3 movies and turn it into Lord of the Rings 2. Martin Freeman as Bilbo was spot-on casting though. But really, they just expanded an enjoyable little adventure into a 12-hour slog through generic fantasy CGI, adding in foreshadowing for no good reason.

Hugo-The trailers promised Magic and it just...wasn't.

I can't think anything better than these two, even if it is the second one is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Scooby-Doo_poster.jpg

... The villain makes me hate it more than anything else along with those scenes. The video game had a better villain... 6 year old me hated it and so does 20 year old me.

Scooby_doo_two_poster.jpg

In my opinion, better than the orignal.. but that might just be the fact that the villains didn't make me scream/ the reveal of the main villain was okay... it's one of those so bad it's good.

Resident Evil 2 and all others to follow. I don't know what they were trying to do other than make Alice the ultimate fighter. I didn't enjoy any after the original.

Silent Hill 2. The first one I did like. The second was definitely forgettable.

Krampus- I was expecting a horror movie, and while it did have some danger and monster-type stuff, for me it just kind of fell flat. The family was terrible which is what they were going for I guess, but it's hard to be invested when you actually want everyone to die, the moral was awful (basically, you're the bad guy if you get tired of your family treating you like shit), and I was disappointed.
The only thing I honestly really enjoyed about Krampus was the adorable psycho murdering gingerbread men, I thought they were absolutely adorable. Other than that I thought the storyline was flat and I would have liked there to have been more horror, since it was categorized as a horror movie after all. Krampus also could've have been a bit scary, if I came face to face with him I would probably honestly just laugh because he wasn't the slightest bit terrifying.

The Revenant
I
know this movie was based off of a real story but I was honestly disappointed with it. Which is really odd for me considering that I am huge Leo fan, but the film itself was really hard for me to follow, too many subtitles for me personally, I hate reading while I am trying to watch a movie especially with how fast they flash by. The only part I really enjoyed was the bear scene, it was really cool how they worked it out, since part of the scene was shot with a real bear in all. Don't get me wrong Leo did a really good job in this movie and I know he most likely got a lot of hell for this role but he played the character nicely. It was just hard to follow at times...I guess it wasn't a terrible movie but I honestly expected more from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.