“Well, we aren’t the closest but... as I said, Joseph is all I have left so it was natural for me to reach out to him, to his dismay I’m sure,” he replied, proud of himself with just how well he was at making up the lies. As he spoke, the compliments only made Ricky’s cheeks rosier.

“You’re the charmer here, Charles, not I.” He corrected easily with a laugh. “No wonder you and Joseph are friends, you’re so likeable. A little more talkative than I imagine but it’s a pleasant change of pace, I suppose... “

"Oh, hush. Though I won't deny that I'm charming, I'm not in the habit of refusing compliments," grinned Charles as he glanced once more towards Joseph, who he was slightly relieved to see drift to sleep. As much as he wanted to talk to the man about his work and about social responsibilities, he was also rather eager to talk to Ricky without the doctor's observation and potential ability to interject. Waiting patiently to ensure that the other was genuinely asleep, he turned back to Ricky with a smile.

"You know, I would adore the chance to paint you. I consider myself something of an amateur painter; I tend to gravitate towards natural scenery and the like, but I'd love the chance to delve into portraiture," he began slowly, his bright eyes scanning the other's features before nodding emphatically. "Yes, you'd be the perfect subject, I imagine. I don't think I'd do you justice, but I would love to try.

“... paint me?” He repeated quietly, startled by the mere offer. “Oh, Charles, no - that isn’t necessary. I’m sure you have much lovelier subjects waiting for you back at your home, aha... sure, I think I’m pretty handsome - I’ve gotten a few more... ah... high profile ladies to find me interesting - but I’m not worth a painting and all that time,” he quickly refused with his hands up, though couldn’t hold back an eager grin at the idea.

“Not to mention, it sounds time consuming. Wouldn’t you rather be enjoying yourself than painting me?” He continued babbling despite silently craving that experience. To be painted, even by an ameteur, was an honor.

"I enjoy myself whilst I'm painting; I find it extremely therapeutic. I adore my literature work, but it can be so stressful. Painting -for me, at least- lets my mind wander; I'd love to move along to painting human subjects and not just scenery. Of course, I'd require no payment; none whatsoever. All I require is your time and patience, I suppose - along with a complimentary nature, because I assure you I'm no expert. It's a bold new challenge, isn't it? For us both, it seems," the amateur artist grinned, deciding that he would ignore the other's reservations because, quite clearly, they weren't solid. Besides, he was downplaying his expertise somewhat, hoping that he could impress Ricky with his work, rather than boast about his talent beforehand. Actions spoke louder than words, after all.

"Ah, that's settled then. We'll organise something-- maybe you could visit my studio in Edinburgh? I have this quaint apartment overlooking the city where I work. I haven't painted there before, but we'll give it a try. I'm sure it'll turn out wonderfully; you're a handsome young man, Ricky. More than that, you have character about you; you're not just a pretty face, as the phrase goes. No, you'll be superb," he praised eagerly, his own excitement rising at the possibility. It was both out of professional interest, to see how he could adapt to painting someone, as well as a personal one. After all, he would get to spend some hours devoted to painting a beautiful man - there were really very little downsides to that.

"So I have no real choice, huh?" He snorted, his cheeks pink as he watched Joseph sleep. It was funny, always thinking that the doctor could handle dealing with little sleep. Running a hand through his light locks, he decided to keep his eyes from locking on the older man. The more he did, the more he questioned what his relationship to the doctor was.

"How much longer before we're there? I want to see just how lovely this place is," he whispered. "I... was in a bit of a scuffle last night, I'm a bit bruised up and whatnot," he explained with a grumble. "I'm going to need to rest up my injuries a bit more so I imagine the beds are fantastic. Oh, and some food I don't have to cook? Ugh, my mouth is watering at the idea," he groaned.

"Oh, a little while. Blame Joseph's parents for deciding to have this country house built so far away from Edinburgh. It is a mighty inconvenience, but trust me, it is worth it. The home is stunning; rather picturesque. I've painted it once; remind me to show you when you visit my working apartment," began Charles. The man was prone to hyperbole, being dramatic and fond of story-telling, but he hadn't exaggerated the beauty of the house. It was situated in lush green fields with flowers of almost every colour, a river flowing through the hills and completing the postcard perfect scene for the home. The house itself, as described by Charles, was stunning, being typically large and as grand as his parents had hoped. It was primarily used for parties, and so, with its construction aimed for that purpose alone, it was expectedly grand and lavish enough to wow the important guests that had stayed there over the years.

For a man like Joseph, it as far too extravagant. He saw no need for the fountain outside the home, nor for the pond containing exotic fish that cost a fortune for his parents to buy. Everything felt like it was for show to impress others. It definitely did achieve that, with every guest Joseph had invited marvelling at the building's structure and its perfect placement, with acres of ground for them to hunt and shoot in. He just wasn't the sort of man to enjoy extravagance like this, much preferring something more intimate and personal.

"...Here we are. I... apologise for this, Ricky," the doctor murmured beneath his breath, almost embarrassed by the country estate as he climbed from the carriage, waving across at the servants that had opened the door to welcome their master back. They stayed permanently at the house to help its upkeep, and with Joseph visiting often to ensure everything was running to his satisfaction, it made sense for them to take permanent residence there, to save them the trouble of travelling to and from Edinburgh.

"It's... outrageous, isn't it?" He continued, grimacing at Charles' booming compliments. "I dislike it immensely, Ricky. It's... awful, yes? Be honest."

• Love
Reactions: saturnia pavonia
Ricky was shocked, taking in the picturesque property in silence. Living in an admittedly gloomy town, to see such a lovely home and having the opportunity to stay in such a nice home was clearly a bit overwhelming.

“It’s beautiful,” he admitted quickly, unable to hide his fascination. “It’s really lovely, Joseph. I... guess I didn’t really know what I was expecting but this destroys those expectations. I know I was teasing last night but I think I will need a genuine tour,” he whispered, cheeks reddened in surprise,

Joseph frowned at the remark, looking almost disappointed in the other's clear amazement with the house. Not wanting to dwell on it too much, he forced a smile on his face as he entered and exchanged brief pleasantries with the servants. He wasn't fond of having staff -it was why he only employed a cook in his Edinburgh home- but the staff had been around since his parents owned the home; he couldn't bare to fire them all, knowing how difficult it would be for them to find other employment.

"This is Ricky, he's a guest. I want him to be treated well; as well as any other guest. I'm sure they'll do a great job tending to you, Ricky.My staff are... not to be hyperbolic, but they are the best in the country, I imagine. Maybe I'm biased," the doctor grinned, exchanging a chuckle with a young maid he'd recently employed. He didn't want to be seen as the tyrannical master his father had been around the home; he wanted to be kind and approachable to them, so they could confide in him with any issues or problems they had. Being a friend to them was a better solution than being an enemy.

"So, where do you want to go first?" Charles smiled, hanging his coat up on the rack. "Oh, let's have tea in the living room, that'd be delightful. Some afternoon tea and scones, I can't think of anything better after a long journey."

“Well, I would prefer to get a tour by Joseph, maybe catch up with him a bit more now that I’m in such a calming place,” Ricky replied as he slowly stepped into the home, the tiles on the floors startling him. He had never seen such pretty tiles on something as dirty as a floor, it was surreal. Shoving his hands into his pockets, he offered an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry, this is all... very overstimulating,” he admitted before moving to check the stairs and the ivory railings that accompanied it. “Aha, wow... this house is worth more than my entire life, tenfold.”

"Oh, that's not a problem whatsoever. I ought to go out for a nice stroll anyway. I'm here to get inspiration. I can't achieve that whilst stuck indoors," laughed Charles with an easy smile, taking no offence from the rejection. In fact, he shrugged it off with ease, smiling effortlessly at the two men opposite him. "How about we convene for dinner at around 6? That'd give your staff ample time to prepare us some nice meal to devour, hm? It'll give me time to explore the grounds, and you can take your cousin for a grand tour of the place. I think that sounds like a plan."

"...Sure. 6 is fine," nodded Joseph, sighing to himself at Charles' consistent enthusiasm, as well as the general irritation he felt at the situation. He didn't want to spent time in the country estate; he'd rather be at home in Edinburgh, working in preparation for a class with his students. Instead, a substitute would have to step in, all because he had made a brief promise to his friend he had failed to remember.

"Do you really want a tour?" He asked Ricky quietly, waiting for the poet to wander off before addressing the other. "I... I mean, I'm rather angry at you, Ricky. I don't want to continue an argument, but... well, I can see things being tense if we don't clear the air. I apologise for this situation, but you haven't been... remotely understanding about it either."

“I know why you did it, I’m not a moron,” he replied only once Charles was gone, his smile dropping instantly. Letting out a deep sigh, he turned to face the other with a growing frown. “I’m not even mad anymore, Joseph, I’m just disappointed. Did you really need to add the whole implication that I’m some lower-class, wayward mess? Couldn’t you have just stated that I was a cousin stopping by? That’s what bothers me. You’re a smart bloke, Joe, it just makes me feel like that was an added insult,” he admitted before moving to step up the staircase curiously.

“You have no right to be mad at me, I did nothing wrong here,” he continued, taking in the paintings with fascination. “Now that I’m at this luxurious estate, I fully intend to get some fresh air. It’s what I’m supposed to do, yes? Or would you prefer I be miserable?”

"I have no right to be mad? You insinuated I've never had to fucking suffer, which is... far from true. I find it unbelievably stupid to assume I've never had to struggle just because I was... born lucky," he grimaced, more so at his swearing than at anything else. He made a habit not to use that sort of language, for obvious reasons, so using it even when he was this angry didn't sit well. He was just thankful Charles or any of the servants weren't around to hear it.

"...I'm not in the mood to take you on a tour around the place," he continued flatly, his eyes drifting away to the window. "I'd rather meet up with you at dinner and... hope the tension's disappeared. I doubt it very much. I'm angry at you and even more so now you fail to realise how... how idiotic you can be."

“Oh, I suppose that’s not surprising for someone like me, huh?” He countered, though the anger in his tone was lacking. In fact, the more he though about it the more upset he became. He wouldn’t admit it as he trudged up the stairs, indifferent to whether or not Joseph followed.

“I hope you brought some clothes with you because I don’t have any and I highly doubt you would like to see me walking about naked, hm?” He commented, at least a sign to try and joke a tad. He was still furious but he was growing tired over it. “I’m sure Charles would find it suspicious.”

"I'm not entirely sure Charles would mind if you walked about naked. I'm incredibly certain he'd find more pleasure in it than embarrassment," he remarked bitterly under his breath, only realising how low that comment was a few seconds later. He hadn't wanted to expose his friend's sexuality, even to Ricky, because it wasn't his place. He could pretend he hadn't said it, gloss over it by changing the topic, but that didn't sit well; it was better to clarify his remarks in the hope that Ricky would be convinced by it.

"I mean, he's rather bohemian, isn't he? He's a free-spirit, he doesn't necessarily conform to most ideas. It's what I like about him, actually. He sees things differently; he's rather romantic with his world view. It's nice. It's why I'm sure he'd shrug indifferently if you strolled about unclothed. He'd probably think it perfectly natural," he smiled, doing his best not to overdo his comments, even if he was desperate to protect his friend from the secret of his sexuality being leaked out. He trusted Ricky completely, but it wasn't his place to start talking about a good friend's sexual preference, was it? Charles might not want anyone to know, for understandable reasons.

"...Anyway, let's not worry about Charles. He'll be busy wandering about outside for inspiration, trying to get into the zone," he drawled, rolling his eyes dramatically. "I don't understand his methods, but he always comes up with marvellous works, so... I suppose I can't criticise him."

"Bohemian, huh?" He replied slowly, a brow raising in disbelief. "Yes, well, he's certainly much different than you, Joseph. How you two are friends is beyond me, but maybe I'm just not bright enough to understand," he drawled before taking in the second level of the house, taking in more of the delicate and expensive paintings.

"Wow, this is mad!" He commented once inside one of the bedrooms, a wide grin on his face. "It's so bright and open, you can really see the fall leaves. I will admit, this is definitely a good place for artistic inspiration... I assume we'll have to share separate beds, hm?" He confirmed, his smile fading a tad at the thought. "That's disappointing.

Reactions: potassiumboron
"Yes, well... I'm not trying to perpetuate the argument, but I'm in no mood to share a bed with you anyway, Ricky. I don't like you at the moment. I understand I'm being dramatic, but I feel very strongly about... defending myself and my corner, actually. Your insinuation hurt and the fact you fail to acknowledge you did wrong is... staggeringly hurtful," he mumbled as he hesitated in the doorway, only glancing away to catch sight of his friend heading into the guest bedroom down the corridor, managing a faint smile to ease Charles' concern that something was wrong.

"You can have this bedroom; I'll take a spare room. I'm sure it'll all be fine between us tomorrow, but I think a night apart would do us some good; me especially. I'd rather be in your company when it doesn't provoke anger in me, and that's... how things are for me at the moment, so... get settled in, enjoy yourself. I'll be around if you need me."

“Well, I guess there’s no better time than now to ask Charles for that portrait, huh?” He replied as he stretched himself, yawning quietly. His body was still incredibly sore but the day was still young. He didn’t want to just waste away for the rest of the evening, it wasn’t in his nature. Sitting on a comfortable chair being painted seemed easy enough.

“Oi, Charles! Are you feelin’ creative? ‘Cuz I want that painting started,” Ricky called with his usual grins, hiding his upset from both Joseph and the new friend. His attempt at a posh accent was over, preferring to be honest just a tad. “Oh, with the trees behind me? It’d be lovely.”

"...Charles is painting your portrait? He... you can't be serious, can you? I don't think you'd be able to sit motionless for hours, Ricky. You want to annoy me, so mission accomplished--"

"Ah, you want to start now, do you? I have nothing to say against that; I'm finding this place is working wonders for my creativity," beamed Charles, arriving on the scene almost as soon as he had heard his name. He could sense that Joseph was far from pleased -the stormy glare he sent the artist being proof of that- but he wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. He cared about his friend, but he didn't think he ought to give up a chance to practise his portraiture skills on a handsome man just because Joseph was irked by it. In fact, Charles made a deliberate effort to piss him off further, grabbing Ricky's arm to head out the room beside him.

"He's so moody, isn't he? Doctors, I suppose, are - at least in my experience with them. All stern and serious. Joe is marvellous man, a real inspiration to me, but by god, he can be rather dull," the artist grinned once far enough away from the room to speak openly, easing himself away out of respect; the closeness had only been to annoy Joseph, after all. "...And I'm aware that I'm not badmouthing family. I'm many things, but I wouldn't count myself as oblivious; he's not your cousin, is he? There's no family resemblance, for a start. Besides, he made you out to be some drug-addled pauper, and you're not; you're rather pleasant, Ricky. I find you to be wonderful company."

“For starters, I’m not some desperate addict beggin’ for change in an alleyway, no. I’ve been making my own pay for a bit and I’m doing well for myself. Sure, I’m not some member of the elite nor do I ever intend to be but I certainly am not what everyone seems to perceive me to be,” he urged after pursing his lips. Running a hand through his light locks, he took in the drawing room curiously. He had never seen so many rooms in one house before so it was a bit nauseating how much space there was. Pulling up a chair, he sat down and spread his legs with a small smile.

“Well, Ah... no, I’m not family,” he whispered while avoiding Charles’ eyes. “To be honest, I don’t really know what I am to Joseph. A work acquaintance at the least but... I’d say we’re at least friends,” he admitted with a nod. “Unless he decides to kick me out, that is.”

"Well, if our friend does decide to kick you out, there's always a bed going at my home for you. I don't mind lending a hand if Joseph decides to be petty. Unfortunately, the man can be quite immature sometimes, it wouldn't surprise me if he did something like that. I hope he doesn't, of course. He does seem to care a lot about you," he pointed out with a growing smile, making his way outside to the large garden behind the home, deciding that the perfect place to start painting Ricky would be outside, with the large oak trees and vast fields of wheat and flowers as a scenic background.

"We'll get started out here. I can paint from memory surprisingly well, so I'll sketch out the main details and finish it back in the city if I don't manage to finish it in the two days I'm here," he explained, setting down the small stool for Ricky and returning to his blank canvas, setting it up as neatly as he could. "This will be your portrait, anyway. I'm happy to give it to you when it's done; I won't be selling it. It doesn't seem quite right to profit off your patience and generosity in helping me."