“It’s not like I have anywhere to put it. Joseph was right in the sense that I’m... certainly not made of money. I’m currently housed in a hotel for now but I hope to move to a proper flat within the year. I would feel horrid if the painting were stolen, especially if you put so much work into it,” he charmingly admitted before leaning forward a tad for the pose.

“I just want Joseph to stop being mad at me so we can focus on... work,” he explained before pursing his lips. “Ah, I’m just rambling. The subject is supposed to remain still, yeah?” He confirmed, only to shyly laugh.

Reactions: potassiumboron
"Oh no, you can talk. Try not to move so much but talking is fine. I prefer it. It'll help me capture you in motion, I think that's how I'd like you to be painted; as lively as you are in real life. It'd be such a waste if your portrait was static and lifeless. So no, you talk away, that'd be rather helpful," he admitted over the canvas, offering a quick smile before falling silent for several minutes as he made his first few lines, his head tilted as he examined how best to proceed further.

"Joseph's a stressed man, but he won't hold a grudge against you for too long. As immature as he can be, he always drops things with those he cares about. I'm sure it'll be as right as rain soon enough. Before dinner, preferably. I want to enjoy our meal and have a good time. If Joe is still moody, I'll set him straight. I've known the man since our university days; I know how to get through to him"

“Well, I need him to keep me around for a plethora of reasons,” he explained with a nervous laugh before looking up briefly to the second level of the home, apologizing quickly once realizing he had moved. “I really do enjoy Joseph’s company, he’s... stable, I suppose, and my life certainly isn’t ‘stable’ at the moment, yeah?” He explained before sitting up a tad.

That being said, I might move again. Once I have enough money, nothing will be keeping here outside of Joseph. I heard another cholera outbreak hit Dublin so I think avoiding the main cities might be for the best. I’ve seen what it does and I don’t want the fate to be the same for me, not when I’ve just started to get things in motion.”

"Oh, now why would you want to move? Edinburgh is fantastic, I adore it. I don't think I'd want to live anywhere else - maybe I'd go to Italy but that's only because so many poets seem to move there and discover inspiration. I'm sure it'd help my work if I visited there for a few months, see what all the fuss is about," he laughed, briefly glancing away from the canvas to examine Ricky. He could always say he was memorising his features for the painting, even if, in reality, he was simply admiring how handsome the man was, especially in the natural sunlight with the scenery behind him.

"...Yes, well, Joseph's very stable, I admit that. He's also an extremely lovely man. As much as we bicker sometimes -he thinks I'm too free-spirited-, he's someone I couldn't do without. He's always there to tell me what I need to hear; he isn't false. I suppose I need that. Most people are happy to tell me what I want to hear," he shrugged, pushing his hair back with a tired sigh. "...So even if you're arguing with him, see through it; don't let it impact what you both seem to have. I'm no fool, you two are clearly very close."

Ricky couldn't help his blush at the mention of their 'closeness', his cheeks growing rosy as he tried to casually scratch his chin. Looking away, he let out a nervous laugh before sitting up in the chair. He didn't really know what he and Joseph were exactly, whether they were still just acquaintances with some benefits or in a proper relationship but if it was the latter, it would be his first one.

"Yeah, I suppose we're close, huh? I mean, not... really. I wouldn't mind getting closer but between you and me, Joseph sort of scares me," he admitted with a nervous laugh before looking up at the mansion. "This whole thing is intimidating if I'm to be honest. The extravagant building, the beautiful land - I'm not, ah... used to it. Hell, Joseph's home was intimidating as is."

"You're scared of him? That seems awfully... sad, actually. You have no reason to be scared or intimated of Joseph. Sure, he's rather well-off, but it's hardly like he shoves it all in your face, hm? He clearly didn't want to bring you here, I suppose he didn't want you to think he was showing off. Oh well, I wouldn't think negatively. Think positively! You can visit here whenever you want, I'm sure Joseph will gladly accommodate you. Like I say, he seems... smitten with you," the artist continued, smiling positively across the canvas. He was no fool, after all, and while he had no intention making it clear that he knew the two were intimate (purely from guesswork, admittedly), he also felt he owed it to the other to be as honest as he could, if it helped him to loosen up and feel more comfortable.

"You know, I thin he rather adores you - and I'm fine with... you know, all of that. I think we're friends by now, aren't we? So yes, I know you and Joseph may be more than that, and... well, I don't doubt that he cares considerably for you. I'm sure it'd upset him to learn you feel like this, so talk to him, hm? He's not a monster. Joe is a good listener, if anything, and he's quick to admit his own faults."

“I... don’t know, I can’t help but feeling pathetic around him. He’s this smart, handsome lad giving me a chance for a proper life and I’m just some punk from Ireland who decided to start up some trouble, yeah?” He replied, rubbing his face in thought before letting a shy smile creep to his lips, a blush following. He was a pretty expressive person and more often than not, he couldn’t keep his body from telling the truth even when he didn’t want to himself.

“Yes, well, our situation is still... questionable. I’m sure he doesn’t want to speak to me after our little fight, definitely won’t want to hear me out. We got into a bit of a tizzy because of... reasons that I’m sure you wouldn’t understand, aha... anyway, yes. Hopefully he will lighten up as I will too once getting something in ‘me stomach.”

"Oh, I have no doubt that things will lighten up. Joseph is a stubborn old fool sometimes, but if he is as smitten as I believe he is, he won't be too miserable for long. He'll get himself worried that he's driven you away and then he'll inevitably come crawling back with apologies," he promised with a faint chuckle beneath his breath, turning his complete attention momentarily to the painting and, in doing so, fell silent. It did give him time to think about the relationship, which he wasn't too concerned about, even despite his and Joseph's romantic past. If anything, that was mere experimentation and the two were better as friends and, being good friends, he was happy to see him find someone he apparently liked.

"...I feel I owe you the truth about Joseph and I - gosh, 'Joseph and I'. We were never an item, I shouldn't have phrased it like that. It was barely an event; just a few days of... experimenting at university, I suppose. I like you, Ricky. I don't want this to come out at a later date and have you feel I was being deceptive in some way. I can assure you that nothing really happened between us - he's a good friend and that's all he'll be to me," he continued bravely. After all, despite the hints and insinuations, Ricky hadn't openly stated that he was with Joseph in a romantic sense. Charles was taking a huge step by admitting clearly that he had been with a man, but he felt it was necessary to be open. "Yes, well... that's that. Joseph was nothing to me, romantically at least. I'm sure he'd say the same; we were never meant to be. Unlike you and him, hm~? You seem awfully compatible."

“You think? I know we’re complete opposites, aye? I just don’t... I don’t want to embarrass him, y’know? I wouldn’t be surprised if I did, on account that you two are of some higher class. I’m not someone who can pretend very well, as you can obviously tell. I knew Joseph didn’t want to mention... ah.... our current situation,” he explained awkwardly, cracking his knuckles.

“I don’t really know what we are right now. Work companions with some added benefits? I’m not sure. I would... I would love to expand this whole thing he and I have but... there are a handful of complications,” he whispered, his eyes locking on a swaying tree in the corner of his eye.

"Oh, if you're careful about it, I can't see there being a huge problem. Of course, be cautious, but Joseph's the most cautious man I know. He doesn't delve into adventure without assessing all of the consequences that might arise first. It's a good quality to have when... well, when his relationship with you could get you both imprisoned," the artist continued as seriously as he could. He was the opposite to Joseph in many ways with his cavalier philosophy, but even he knew the seriousness of the situation. He knew Ricky wasn't naive and he knew of the risks, but Joseph wouldn't forgive him if he didn't try to be serious about it all.

"But, look... you're not stupid, are you? As long as you're careful, you can both have fun and be the cute lovebirds you are~ I'd certainly enjoy your company more if you managed to lighten Joe up a little. You'd be some sort of miracle worker if you can just make him relax a little."

"Well, I'll take up the challenge," Ricky decided with a growing grin before easing back a tad, his eyes closing when the sun started to start to peek into his eyes. "I mean, he went to a tavern with me and that's pretty not-him, right? Oh, the whole thing was hilarious, y'know? Everyone was so surprised to see such a handsome, put-together mate coming into a sleazy monstrosity with a ton of lads low on their luck, yeah? I'm sure he wouldn't want to be seen back there again, though," he noted, ceasing his babbling after a minute to just smile up at the house.

"I don't want him to think I'm spending time with him for the wrong reasons. I don't mean to be rude perhaps, but I don't really enjoy this whole lifestyle. I would find nothing more enjoyable than being able to wake up in a warm home, have some good food and enjoy the day. I don't know - tell me to shut up, will you?"

"I wouldn't dream of telling you to shut up, Ricky. Not when I want to know about your little trip to the tavern with Joseph; I want to know every little detail. For my own curiosity, if nothing else. I can't imagine the man stepping foot inside such a place. Of course, I'm more adventurous; I'm happy to admit that I've frequented plenty of places like that. I write novels. I can't concoct characters from taverns without experiencing it for myself, can I? I think they're wonderful, actually. They're always buzzing with energy, I find it strangely warming," he admitted with an easy wave of his hand, smearing paint on his face as a result. He didn't mind getting his clothes a little dirty - it came with being an artist, after all.

"...It looks like it might rain, hm? Perhaps we ought to get a move on inside, have that tea by the fire," he recommended with a critical glance at the canvas, nodding firmly at the progress he had made with the initial paint strokes. "Mm, you're a wonderful subject, Ricky. This is going to be a masterpiece, I can sense it~"

"Are you being genuine or are you only speaking to me to get me all buttered up?" He questioned with a laugh before getting up, the loud crack in his back being so loud that it startled even Ricky. He was still incredibly sore, and the bruises around him were only turning darker, but that didn't mean he couldn't pretend to be alright. Picking up the chair, he carried it inside with him with a hum.

"Oi, Joseph! Would you like some tea?" He called, obviously not quite sure where the anatomist was. "We're going to brew some up, the painting is all over for now. Hmm... I would love a delicious Ceylon tea with some honey, that sounds lovely."

"...Fetch some tea in for us, would you? And some scones, that seems most appropriate," murmured the doctor to a maid once hearing his boyfriend's request, smiling at the two once they followed his voice to the main living room. He was still pissed off, but, to save causing a scene in front of his staff and in front of Charles, he was willing to put on a relaxed expression and pretend that he wasn't absolutely fuming. "You're actually painting him, then, Charles? That's... nice of you. I can pay for your time--"

"Oh, hush. I don't want pay for this, he's helping me. I need to practise and he's willing to give me his time," tutted Charles as he took a seat, sighing heavily at how stiff his own bones were. "...We should invite the old gang along this weekend, bring the party forward, Joe. Ricky would love to meet your friends, I'm sure? Oh, you'll love them, Ricky. Some are old fuddy-duddies, but-- oh, some are characters, I'm sure you'll find them interesting!"

"I don't know if your chaps would be my sort of tea, or vice versa," Ricky reminded as he moved to the livingroom, taking a comfortable seat on the couch. Letting out a yawn, he decided to lay back to rest himself up, his eyes closing as he took in the remaining bits of sun that he knew would be replaced with pure rain from the approaching storm.

"This is your home, though, so do as you please," Ricky added with a deep sigh. "I would like to spend a little while to relax, perhaps read. Do you have as large as a library here as you do at your other home, Joseph? I would really like to get back into reading, especially when I'm subjected to be around people far higher in intelligence than me," he drawled.

Glancing up from the newspaper he was lazily scanning, Joseph managed a smile at the request, thankful that their previous bickering had managed to go ignored for the time being. Setting the paper down on his lap, he calmly accepted the freshly brewed tea from one of his members of staff and, after a careful sip, finally turned his attention back to his boyfriend.

"There's a few books, yes. Plenty, in fact. They mostly history books, I'm afraid. War history. My father was a General, you see, before he became a doctor in his retirement from the force. He's always had such a fascination with war and history, so it's all his collection up there. But you're welcome to take a look if you fancy it. I can't say I'm too enthused about reading about war, but... I suppose it's important," he shrugged casually, returning to the paper with a grimace. Inevitably, news of the grave-robbing had hit the papers and while he knew nobody had any evidence yet, the very fact attention was now drawn to the matter did make him wary.

He was in demand of bodies, understandably, but he hardly wanted to put pressure on Ricky to continue the job when there was now so much attention on the issue.

"Awful, isn't it?" Charles piped up as he took in the front page of the paper, tutting. "It's so... inhuman, don't you think? Immoral, as well, of course. Gosh, imagine that madman tries to bring you a body, Joe? Of course, you'll refuse and call the police, you aren't idiotic. Nor are you that much of a risk-taker."

"...Mm. Terrible. I... suppose I'd say no; course I would. It's... a crime," the doctor replied slowly, casting Ricky a knowing glance - though there was a faint smile on his face nonetheless. The fact he had taken the risk and was actively involved in it did make him a tad proud, knowing he was doing something most would never assume he would be capable of doing. "I find it too macabre, Charles. Let's not discuss it."

Peeking an eye open, Ricky also met eyes with Joseph briefly before letting out a deep yawn, rolling to his stomach to properly face the other men. With his own tutting, he shook his head for emphasis. It was true, it was all incredibly bad and immoral but he had gone to church and prayed to the lord, so he saw his sins absolved.

“Truly is a frightful act, eh?” Ricky piped in as he watched the two curiously. “Like you said, Joseph here would never take such a dirty deal. Hm... this is good tea, by the way,” he noted as he sipped the cup.

"Joseph has morals - and while I understand the low body count is an issue, it won't be an issue forever. People are always going to die, Joseph. It's inevitable, isn't it? It's one of the only certainties in life, in fact. Besides, there are plenty of other things you can teach your students if you are low on cadavers. Teach them using good old fashioned blackboards; it didn't do me any harm when I was at college," sighed Charles dramatically, resting his chin in his hand as he took in the shared glances. Fortunately, he didn't assume it had anything to do with the body-robbing; he simply assumed it was a loving glance between a loving couple, which at least made him smile hopefully that the tension between them had been alleviated.

"...It's wonderful, isn't it? Joe always has the nicest tea. One of his friends owns a company, you see, so he gets the top quality tea," he continued with a light tone to his voice, sipping at the fine china cup happily. "You'll meet him at this party I insist Joe organises. Our friends will adore you as much as I do, Ricky. We're not all elitist, judgemental fools, hm? Some are rather... old-fashioned in their views, but I enjoy a good debate so I'll gladly fight your corner alongside you, no worries there."

“That’s incredibly sweet, Charles, though I’m sure you treat any strapping young man like me kindly,” he teased, jokingly deepening his voice. It was true that he could throw a punch and that he was pretty strong on account that he had dragged plenty of bodies along, but he was no burly bearded lumberjack. Hell, the fact he couldn’t grow a beard at all was good evidence.

“Yeah, invite some of your mates over. If I don’t enjoy it, or they don’t enjoy me, I can just relax up in the bedroom for awhile. I’m quite the social butterfly but even I can’t handle too much. Not to mention a bar full of drunkards is far different from a room full of scholars.”

"Oh, hush. How do you know I don't just have a soft spot for you, Ricky? Maybe it's true that I'd do a lot for a nice young man, but maybe you're special? Of course, you're special on account of you being Joseph's... friend," he murmured, ignoring the quick glance from said man at the hesitation. Before the doctor could question him on it and demand whether he was insinuating something, he moved the conversation on, eagerly babbling about a party Joseph was reluctant to throw.

"I'm not sure," he whispered, returning his eyes to the paper. "It's awfully short notice and some of the guests will be... well, judgemental, Ricky. I know you don't like that; who does, hm? I don't know why you're eager to invite people who will judge every inch of you."