“Relax, I’m just teasing. If I can survive having my hand cut open whilst working, I think I can handle being a bit chilly,” he reassured dismissively, holding up his hand with the large scar for evidence. Neatly tucking his button up shirt into his pants, he took in his look with a smug smile. It was no top had and coattails but he looked like a proper gentleman nonetheless.

“My ma, she got sick and it was a bloody fuckin’ miracle I hadn’t gotten sick as well,” he proudly announced, shimmying on a nice warm wool sweater before tugging on a warm cap. “Like hell am I going to let a silly little breeze make me some poor cadaver... granted, I’m sure you’d have fun poking and prodding at me.”

Reactions: potassiumboron
"Is that some sort of innuendo? I mean, I... have had fun with you, of course. Granted, I think I was too drunk to fully appreciate what we were doing, but I suppose there are plenty more opportunities, providing I stop messing up and ruining the relationship before it's even begun," he laughed, the sound dying down so he could listen out for Beatrice, the woman's voice, however weak it was, managing to carry all the way up to the bedroom. He didn't want her heading out with them, but he knew he'd just end up feeling guilty if he left her out again - she had almost had a breakdown over being left out of the party, after all.

"I might have to have Bea come and stay with me in the city; it's better than leaving her alone. Charles' place is full of his art and he's too... I don't want to say irresponsible, but that is the right word. He wouldn't be able to care for her as well as I could, so-- that isn't a problem for you, is it? She won't be an issue, she'll sleep most the day anyway."

Reactions: saturnia pavonia
“Joseph, please...” Ricky whined childishly as he moved towards the doorway, carefully cleaning his shoes before slipping into them. “I want to be able to spend some alobe time with you so if I can’t do that here in this expansive mansion, how am I supposed to do that in your home?” He asked in a whisper. Shrugging it off, he headed down the stairs with a yawn.

“Let’s just figure this out in a little,” He suggested, mostly to keep a fight from starting again. “I’d love to enjoy the walk for now. How much longer will we be here? I’m just eager to spend more time with you, Joseph.”

He could argue all day about the situation; about how dear Beatrice was to him and how much he wanted to help her, but Ricky was right; it was best to talk about it and figure it all out at a later time. He had had enough of bickering and wanted to enjoy the surroundings with someone he clearly cared about, daring to take his arm to head down the stairs alongside him.

"Just for the weekend; two more days, really. I need to return to work on Monday, after all. Sort out the situation with the lack of cadavers. I... I'm sure it'll all resolve itself without you needing to involve yourself in it anymore. I can... well, I'll have to make it work, won't I?"

"I have no problem getting back to work for you if I need to," he reminded under his breath, even the smallest interaction between the two making him smile wide. "Relax, we'll be fine either way. I was thinking that perhaps I'll start a job as a bartender. My pal at the one I live above is retirin', saying that his healths been failing him. Worst comes to worst, I can do that... though I'm sure your friends would scoff at the idea," he drawled, mocking the many voices he had heard the night before.

"That's why I like Beatrice. She doesn't really pretend to be as houty-touty as the others. She's much more realistic," he praised openly, giving Joseph's arm a squeeze. "I'm sure she would be far less judgemental towards the occupation."

"...That sounds like it'd be a worthwhile job for you. Beneficial, too. Not just financially, but... well, you're clearly a social butterfly, aren't you? I'm sure you'll enjoy the social aspect the job has. I'm completely supportive of whatever you choose to do, no matter what my friends think. Charles certainly won't care, of course. I'm sure he'd like visiting you; he's as social as you are. And Beatrice won't mind, of course not. Like you said, she's not judgemental," he agreed, lowering his voice upon seeing the woman waiting patiently by the front door, bundled up in her fur coat. She hadn't changed out of the nightgown she was in, deciding that it hardly mattered when they were in the country with nobody around to see her and write up slanderous articles in the newspaper about her.

"Oh, at last! You both took your time," she grinned, absently noting their closeness. She knew all about Charles and his sexuality, but Joseph hadn't told her about his yet... not that she hadn't already guessed. "Well, come along then! Charles said there are deer around; and wild rabbits, too. I'd love it if we saw some, it'd be wonderful."

"Oh, don't mention rabbit - you'll just get me hungry," he teased, finally (and reluctantly) letting go of Joseph's arm as he politely opened the door for the others. "My mother would make the best rabbit and mash, it was fantastic. Perhaps I will make it for you mates in the future if I can make some time to head to the butcher. I don't want just some chef making it, it wouldn't give my ma justice, yeah?" He offered before taking in the brisk, fresh air happily - it was better than the smog he often breathed in from his home.

"I've never tried deer before, far too expensive for my family. I would love to, though - I've heard it's delicious and not too greasy," he continued on casually now that his mind was locked on food. "Anyway, enough with the whole talk of food! Let's just enjoy the pleasant weather, yes? Joseph, would you mind leading the way?"

"You don't eat rabbit, do you? That's terrible! They're so cute to look at and--and they're not food, I don't think they ought to be eaten," cringed Beatrice, staring at the other in horror at his admission, and apparent indifference towards it. She didn't suddenly hate him because of it, that would be ridiculous, though she did fall silent in disappointment nonetheless.

"...There's a path that goes around the grounds, we'll just follow that. No need to venture off into the fields, we'd just get lost and it can be quite dangerous; there's plenty of traps out there to catch deer and whatnot. I'd hate for one of us to break an ankle standing on one," smiled Joseph as he quickly changed the subject, taking Beatrice's arm to help her along. "This is nice, hm? The country air. I prefer the city, but it's nice to get away."

"O-Oh, ah... I..." Ricky began anxiously before offering an awkward laugh, shifting in his feet. "I was... joking, Beatrice, I would never eat a rabbit," he reassured while shooting Joseph a nervous glance, stiffening. "I apologize, that wasn't very appropriate, was it? Ah... yes, of course, I don't eat rabbits. A-Anyway, yes! The air is beautiful here. My lungs haven't tremored once since being out here - even Joseph's office hurts my breathing," he admitted, rubbing his chest for emphasis in reference to his asthma.

"Oh, there's a trail? I'm sure we would be fine venturing off the road just a tad, hm? Though I understand that it might be a bit too dangerous... perhaps you're right," he babbled, desperate to bring attention away fromt he rabbit mention with a small smile.

"We can go off path if you're adventurous, sure. As long as we don't stray too far and watch out for ditches, I'm sure it'll be alright. What's life without a little risk?" Joseph winked, forcing back the urge to take back his words. He was worried that Ricky would go off him if he didn't show just a little adventurous spirit, and, all things considered, wandering off from the path wasn't all that dangerous. The fact he was up for it, he hoped, would show Ricky that he could do things out of his comfort zone.

"I'd like that. We could pick flowers and berries then. See a few wild rabbits up close," gushed Beatrice, seemingly forgetting all about Ricky's words, or simply choosing to ignore them in order to keep up the happy atmosphere. "Charles is painting, isn't he? That's an awful shame, I like it when he's around. He's so funny and charming and... did I tell you that he once proposed to me, Ricky? This was before my husband won me over, of course. I should have said yes, I suppose. Charles is wonderful..."

“”Oh, Joseph! You’re really willing to go off the beaten path? That’s startling,” drawled Ricky, his eyes sparkling at the other’s attempt at some rebelliousness. It wasn’t much - he would much prefer to traverse into the woods for awhile. Giving the doctor a playful nudge, he then brought his attention to Beatrice.

“Oh, really? Charles? I mean, I’m sure he’d be a lovely husband,” Ricky admitted once softening his smile. “He’s quite the gentleman, isn’t he?” He praised easily before cracking his back wearily. “A lovely painter as well.”

"Yes but I don't think I'm quite his type. I've seen him bring countless men to his quarters at night when I visited him. I doubt they were in there all night for business; I'm sure it was pleasure. You both don't have an issue with that do you? I certainly don't; it'd be awful to judge someone for that, I think. Now, my husband would have told the police immediately about that, he was so callous," she smiled, taking in the fresh air happily. It was just what she needed; the peace and quiet of the countryside, rather than the loud hustle and bustle of Edinburgh.

"...Yes, well, Charles is entitled to do what he likes, I won't judge. He's a dear friend, Beatrice." Joseph nodded slowly, smiling to himself at the woman's words. "So, Ricky... you like it here, don't you? I'd love to bring you again, just you, so I can... show you around properly."

“Oh, it’s lovely here. I never expected to enjoy it so much since I had left my small town as quickly as possible for the city. I guess something like Edinburg can be draining rather quickly, hm?” He offered, his soft smile growing to a grin at the suggestion of finally being alone with his boyfriend, something he had wanted for the last few days. Even though Beatrice admitted to being comfortable around people who had... different taste in partners, he still wasn’t willing to show much physical contact with Joseph nonetheless despite being desperate to do so.

“That being said, I do miss just how social the city is,” he admitted, chuckling. “I’m a social person more often than not; I like to go to taverns, chat in the street. While there are no people I would rather spend my time, I am excited to at least return to a bit more energy.”

"We both know you like the taverns. I... suppose I see the appeal. I won't pretend to be the biggest fan of the places, but I've only been once. I'm sure repeat visits will change my mind. The alcohol was surprisingly cheap, that's a point in its favour. I wasn't fond of being stared at like an animal at a circus, but... still, I'd be up for going again with you if that was something you'd like to do, Ricky. You came here with me so I... well, I can compromise and give your favourite places a chance, can't I?" The doctor nodded. Having seen how Ricky reacted so positively to his 'adventure' off the path, he wanted to capitalise on that and take more adventurous action, like going back to the tavern. He clearly didn't fit in that sort of surrounding, and he wasn't entirely comfortable there, but he wanted to suggest it, knowing he won either way.

Either Ricky liked the idea and he made his boyfriend happy, or Ricky declined but Joseph still managed to make him happy by showing he was willing to do that for him. It was a win-win situation.

"Whatever you decide is fine with me. I'm happy to engage in your world, like you do with mine. It's no good being separated from it; doesn't make for a well-rounded person, hm?"

“Oh, you’re welcome to come if you’d like!” Ricky quickly gushed, his happiness only growing at the suggestion. He knew it was a major leap for Joseph, the lifestyle being nothing like what a pampered doctor imagined, but it was his lifestyle. “I do more than just drink, though. I would love to spend a proper day in the city with you, Joseph. Perhaps peak into shops, enjoy a nice stroll by the shores... something a little less stuffy than your office,” he suggested, almost completely forgetting Beatrice as he suggested genuine dates.

“I know you are a very busy man, I’m sure spending a lovely evening away from your work to spend time with such a handsome lad like me might be tempting enough to perhaps break from something as important as your studies,” he drawled teasingly as he watched a rabbit scurry off by their voices.

"I would ask if I could come along but that all sounds rather intimate," the woman smiled as she absently noted the closeness between the two. It didn't take a genius to work out what was going on, and while she could eagerly coo to Joseph about how happy she was for him, she also knew that it wasn't what he wanted. She could drop a hint that she knew about it to help them relax, but not shout it from the rooftops to avoid embarrassing them both.

"It's beautiful out here, though. I may stay here, if that's okay with Joe. This is the perfect place to recuperate-- and you both will visit, I assume, so that'd be something to look forward to."

"Would you be alright alone?" Ricky quickly asked to bring attention away from his soft blush and his nervous chuckle. "Or is Charles going to be with you? This place certainly is amazing for an artistic muse, I suppose, and I certainly want to see that painting done as quickly as possible. Perhaps I'll hang it on the wall of where I'm staying, wake up to see myself looking back at me to say good morning," he snorted, rolling his eyes at his clear sarcasm.

"It's very peaceful, yes. I would love to just sprawl out on the grounds with a blanket and enjoy the sun... if it weren't so windy. I can only imagine how beautiful this place is in the summer, I would love for you to take me here again, Joseph. We could have a picnic, watch the rabbits jump about," he suggested, sighing at the idea.

"I'd love to hang it up in my home, actually. You might not fancy the idea of staring at yourself day in, day out, but I certainly wouldn't mind it. In fact, I think it'd be nice; so you're always around, even when you're physically not. Maybe I can get Charles to make a small portrait for me of you, something personal," the doctor murmured beneath his breath, his lips pulling into a smile at the idea. It did feel intimate and, if anything, consolidated their relationship status without explicitly saying so.

"Where is Charles, anyway? Painting again? Your portrait, I gather," the woman began as she glanced over at Ricky thoughtfully. "His artist friends might discover the portrait instead and want to pay him for it; wouldn't that be marvellous? To have all those rich men clambering for your portrait, gushing about you? It's the stuff of dreams, I'd adore that."

“Why enjoy the painting when you can have the real thing?” Countered Ricky quietly with a bashful smile, his eyes rolling to try and hide just how sweet the offer was to him from Beatrice. If they were alone there was no doubt he would be showering Joseph in appreciative kisses. Tragically, it wasn’t quite the time for said kisses.

“Yes, you’re right! Where is Charles?” He questioned, genuine concern rising. When he met someone he liked, Ricky had a tendency to cling onto them tightly. Charles was his friend now and the fact that the man hadn’t decided to follow suit on their little walk was concerning. “Oh, if the painting sells I know it’ll just be s strike to my ego. Imagine groups of people rushing to buy a painting of me. I’m sure you’d be jealous,” he teased to Joseph.

Reactions: potassiumboron
As if on cue, Beatrice happily pointed out the artist just a few feet away from them, almost hidden away amongst the foliage he had ventured in. His moments of inspiration did cause him to wander into situations without really acknowledging what he was doing he hadn't, for example, noticed that he had wandered so deep into the woodland bordering the home until hearing Beatrice's eager calls and glancing about in bewilderment at his current state.

It was clear that whatever state he had ventured into didn't concern him too badly; he had evidently been having fun. The expensive clothes he often donned had been replaced by simple linen fabrics; clothes a peasant would often be seen wearing in the cities. He had no qualms displaying clothes like that; it was much cheaper to wear them and get them splattered with paint than the usual items he preferred to don. Currently, the clothes were covered in paint, having opted for a much more liberal painting stroke than the careful, precise ones he was used to applying. The mess it created over his clothes and face (and the surrounding greenery) didn't bother him too much either. It all felt far more free and less stressful to just let his hand work without his mind interjecting into the process.

"I was hoping you'd all stroll along and find me. I'd get lost around here, easily," he laughed, leaning against the tree as he absently glanced at the canvas, covered in colourful paints in some random, nonsensical pattern. "It's pretty, isn't it? I enjoy it; the process of just picking up a brush and seeing what happens-- I've finished your portrait, completed it from memory. I'm rather good like that; I couldn't have you sitting for hours in boredom, Ricky. So I finished it. You're welcome to see it later on, I'm rather proud of it, actually. I think I've captured you well-- what are you all doing, anyway? Just walking about?"