Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Food

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I come from a three generation family on my mothers side of chef's two had owned their own restaurants. I think from what I learned that Dinner and supper have been used as much as the other. I tend to say supper when I'm making a grule type of meal like grits, or soup, or Gumbo's, and stews. but when there is mainly solid foods I tend to call it Dinner...not sure if i'm making any sense ~rubs her eyes~ yup. thats what I do, I demand a 'both' option :p

Reactions: 2 people
I used to exclusively say dinner. My ex got me into the habit of saying supper. Now I use both interchangeably.

In my family, we use dinner & supper interchangeably. Sometimes, we use phrases to announce whenever the meal is prepared, i.e. "Soup's on!" or "Sooey!" (jokingly) but yeah. I prefer to use 'dinner' as it sounds much more proper, but I slip up from time to time.

Most of the time I never say anything like supper, dinner, etc. I just say, "Holy shit I'm hungry." Then I eat. Simple.

Reactions: 4 people
SUPPER! D:<

Which is kind of a weird word if I think about it.... :D

In my family dinner is the largest meal of the day. I eat my biggest meal after I get home from work in the evening so that, for me, is dinner. My parents do the same thing.
When I go visit my grandparents we have dinner whenever the family is most able to be all together. Sometimes it's at six, sometimes at noon, sometimes at four, but it's always dinner because it's the largest meal we eat together. Any meal after that is called supper.

Hopefully that made sense :)

Anyone who calls the last meal of the day "supper" is everything that's wrong with America. Even if they're from somewhere other than America. :v

Reactions: Lady Sabine
Anyone who calls the last meal of the day "supper" is everything that's wrong with America. Even if they're from somewhere other than America. :v

I'M CANADIAN AND DON'T LISTEN TO AMERICAN RULES! D:< Don't judge me with your American-ness! >________>

I'm Irish, and it's dinner if it's my main meal after about four-ish and tea if it's something lighter. I didn't think people used supper anymore. o_o

Supper can refer to any meal eaten after noon. Late lunch, dinner, late dinner, midnight snack... it's vague. But the evening meal is dinner. No question about it.

We call it Dinner as a meal but when calling everyone down we say "Supper!!" But yeah. I'm one of those people who respond to the question "What do you want for dinner?" with food. Unless I want something specific.

In Swedish I say Middag, which is translated into Dinner. Supper is translated into the word kvällsmat (=Evening food if you direct translate it) (Supper can also be translated into supé, but no one uses that word). I do use kvällsmat bit now and then, but more rarely than middag. In English I only use the word dinner. I always forget that the word supper exists xD

Status
Not open for further replies.