Difficult Video Games

M

Moonlit Blade

Original poster
Many of us here love playing video games. From RPGs to FPSs, new games are released every year. But nowadays, a lot of games are just too plain easy, and it seems games are made not for us die hard gamers, but for the money they'll make. Games nowadays seem to do nothing but hold your hand and guide you through every step of the game!

But, there are games that are truly difficult! Games that make you swear, throw your controller down, and shake your fist at God when you just can't figure the puzzle out, or when that damned boss hit you and took your last heart away, because either the game is just cheap or God is conspiring against you!

What are some difficult games you've played over your lifetime, or have seen played? And why?

My list (in no order of difficulty) is as follows:

1) Zelda CD-i games. While speaking of these games is in fact forbidden by the gaming Gods, and playing them for eternity is the equivalent of going to hell, these games can prove to be difficult. A friend played it, and in order to progress, you (as Zelda), need to go to the second half of a town. However, for some obscure and never explained reason, you must go to the second floor of a house, and jump out a window to get to the second half of town. Not only are you given not a single hint, but ever house has the same bloody window as well!

2) Fire Emblem Series. I just started playing, in fact (having installed several emulators and a ton of ROMs on my PSP), and that game requires utter cautiousness. If a unit EVER hits 0 HP, they're gone for good, and can never be revived. I lost my beautiful Pegasus Knight within the first 15 minutes of having her, because I didn't know death was permanent... >.<

3) Zelda 2. Arguably THE hardest Legend of Zelda game. EVER. Die, and you lose all your EXP. Points (but your levels won't go down), and you're instantly sent back all the way to Northern Palace! And until you figure out the secret to killing Iron Knuckles, you're screwed!

Well, that's just the tip of the iceberg! Now share your list and experiences with it!!! DO IT!!!

Super Meat Boy.

Or as I like to call it "GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I TIMED THAT RIGHT HOW THE FUCK DID THAT HAPPEN FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU" the game.

Dynasty Warriors, A.K.A. "GOD FFFFFFFF DAMMIT STOP FFFFFFF BLOCKING AND JUST FFFFFFFF DIE YOU FFFFFFFFF COCKHYDRA!!!!!!!!"

Ikaruga is a tough game

Both Koumajou Densetsu (a.k.a. Touhouvania games) games

Cave Story gets fairly tough later on, and in the hidden zone (forgot what it's called).

Any Ninja Gaiden game (especially II for the 360)

A good number of the Castlevania games (including a few Metroidvanias)

Devil May Cry 1 & 3 (2 & 4 were jokes)

Shinobi

Megaman X6

Megaman Zero 2

Touhou. >u< Also known as "OH GOD MULTICOLORED BULLETS COMING AT ME FROM EVERYWHERE!!!!!!"

Both Koumajou Densetsu (a.k.a. Touhouvania games) games

Cave Story gets fairly tough later on, and in the hidden zone (forgot what it's called).

Any Ninja Gaiden game (especially II for the 360)

A good number of the Castlevania games (including a few Metroidvanias)

Devil May Cry 1 & 3 (2 & 4 were jokes)

Shinobi

Megaman X6

Megaman Zero 2

Judging by your avatar, I think we both know you're referring to Castlevania: Order of OH COME ON!

N+ makes your Super Meat Boy look easy.

Actually been messing around with Order of Ecclesia. It's not too bad.

Oh just use Nitesco a couple times and he goes down like a punk.

Dwarf Fortress.... as the wiki so kindly puts it..... This is more of a fantasy simulation than a game.... and when you look at a picture dwarf standing next to a bronze colossus you know just how screwed you are.

dwarf-fortress.jpg

XD Nice, Grumpy. That's simply amazing.

2) Fire Emblem Series. I just started playing, in fact (having installed several emulators and a ton of ROMs on my PSP), and that game requires utter cautiousness. If a unit EVER hits 0 HP, they're gone for good, and can never be revived. I lost my beautiful Pegasus Knight within the first 15 minutes of having her, because I didn't know death was permanent... >.<
TRY 15 SECONDS >:[ I couldn't even keep her through battle #1...

I see a terrible failing, you have missed on of the utmost difficult games, said to transcend hardcore gaming into a theoretical 'masocore' level.

I speak, of course, about

I WANNA BE THE GUY!

and Demon's Souls, that's a really hard one too.

I Wanna Be the Guy is just artificial difficulty.

Demon's Souls isn't so bad except in certain situations where it repeatedly slaps your shit.

One of the few games I never understood was Dig Dug II. I mean seriously no matter how many freaking levels you go through there is always more!

Also I don't see Jackal or Contra mentioned yet those games were impossible to beat without cheat codes.

Ooo and Toobin that game went on forever too. I mean c'mon!