Dictionary Use

Choose the option which best describes you

• I own and primarily use a print dictionary (old)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own and primarily use a print dictionary (current ed.)

• I own a print dictionary (old) but primarily use a search engine

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • I own a print dictionary (current ed.) but primarily use a search engine

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I own a print dictionary (old) but primarily use an online dictionary or wiki

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I own a print dictionary (current ed.) but primarily use an online dictionary or wiki

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I do not own a print dictionary and primarily use a search engine

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I do not own a print dictionary and primarily use a search engine

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I do not own a print dictionary and do not know how to use and read one

• I do not own a print dictionary but I know how to use and read one

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I use an online dictionary and have premium membership

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Despite exhaustive efforts, I am once again directed to the comments by Mini's incompetence.

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minibit

Returned from the Void
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
Terms:
  • Print Dictionary: A printed, physical dictionary which you can hold in your hand
    • Old: It is not the most recent edition of this dictionary
    • Current ed. It is the most recent edition of this dictionary
  • Search Engine: something like Google, Bing, or Yahoo
  • Online Dictionary or Wiki: examples include Urban Dictionary, Mirriam-Webster Online, Wikipedia, etc.

• Knowing how to read/use a print dictionary:
    • You can quickly and easily find the word you are searching for
    • You can understand the printed pronounciation for each word
    • You can understand the various symbols and abbreviations.
    • When a word which has multimple definitions, you can understand which one to use for your purpose.

I know how to use a dictionary, but do not own a print one. I use online dictionaries usually, when the need arises.
However, there are instances when I need multiple language dictionaries and for that, I have a few offline dictionary apps on my phone between a few languages.

I use online dictionaries. They're simply faster to browse. They also give out all the same information old print dictionaries do, and are free, and all of their updates are free.

I have and use both ^_^ Mostly online, but when I'm with kids, I use an actual book.

I'm sure there's an old print dictionary somewhere in this house. >.> But I really have no need to use it. Simply googling "[word here] definition" is much easier. In those rare instances where Google doesn't automatically toss up a definition for me, one of the first sites listed usually has what I'm looking for.

Where's the option "My parents/friends are my dictionary because not only do I not know the definition of the word, but I also can't spell it enough to find it in print or online."?

But, I do own a print dictionary and know how to use it. I mostly use online dictionaries though.

I honestly prefer thesauruses. Helps me understand a word beyond a definition.

Reactions: Greenie
Where's the option "My parents/friends are my dictionary because not only do I not know the definition of the word, but I also can't spell it enough to find it in print or online."?

...Your spelling is so bad that even Google can't help you?

That's... rough. :/

...Your spelling is so bad that even Google can't help you?

That's... rough. :/
Big words can be hard. The good thing is once I learn and find the definition, I remember. Another good reason of using any sort of dictionary. Once you spend the time looking words up, you won't forget its spelling/meaning.

Big words can be hard. The good thing is once I learn and find the definition, I remember. Another good reason of using any sort of dictionary. Once you spend the time looking words up, you won't forget its spelling/meaning.

Eh. I find myself doubting my spelling on a lot of the same words over and over and wind up looking them up, so... Yeah. I wouldn't say that looking a word up means I'll always remember how to spell it. XD

I have old written dictionaries but prefer to use online dictionaries and search engines. Usually, when I just want something fast I use google, but when I want something more extensive I use online dictionaries and wikies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh. I find myself doubting my spelling on a lot of the same words over and over and wind up looking them up, so... Yeah. I wouldn't say that looking a word up means I'll always remember how to spell it. XD
Heh, there are some words I'm like that too. And still end up getting wrong, like seperate. Yeah, I wrote that wrong, but I always end up writing it like that before going back to correct it to separate.

I've got an old dictionary in the box of books I never unpacked when I moved into my current home a few years ago. I could still use it proficiently, but I prefer using an online dictionary. All the benefits of a print dictionary without the annoyance of having to leaf through the pages to find the one word you want amongst a bunch of esoteric crap.

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
Heh, there are some words I'm like that too. And still end up getting wrong, like seperate. Yeah, I wrote that wrong, but I always end up writing it like that before going back to correct it to separate.
A few words that I have had trouble spelling correctly (but that I can get right after a try or two) I've actually incorporated into passwords that I use semi-often (but am able to get wrong once or twice without being screwed).

I started it in high school and having to type it at least a few times a week and make sure that I type it correctly eventually helped me.

• Useful
Reactions: Greenie
When I was in college, I studied in history, and we were allowed 1 Internet source for 5 "book" sources... So I learned to use all kinds of encyclopaedias, thematic dictionaries, census books...

Honestly I prefer something printed out where I can highlight and write in the margins for any work / research purposes -- but for everyday use? Yeaaaah I use online versions.

I have an old college dictionary, but I rarely ever use it, Google is just so much more convenient.

Growing up, my parents bought me a lot of thesauruses and dictionaries to supplement my academics. Though ironically I never used them. I was able to expand my vocabulary through simply reading a lot, enough that I can participate competitively in spelling bees. I can guess at the spelling of a word just from hearing the way it's pronounced, and I usually got it right. For meanings, I am able to glean those just from looking at a sentence and how it's used in a passage.

I'm sure I have a print dictionary and thesaurus, if not two or three, lying around somewhere, but with the internet right there...why rustle it up and flip through the pages?

Plus, you can't get lost for hours searching the etymology of the inquiry through links with a printed copy.

Reactions: Kitti
I use urban dictionary

It's really useful! !!
I can explain the password thing, if you thought it was confusing.
Say I have trouble spelling the word "purple". I don't but if, say, I could usually spell it right after a few tries (perple? purpel? purpal?).
I set my computer to be password locked to get past the home menu, so I type it every day but it doesn't care if I fail a few times.
In this instance, a tactic I started using in high school to force myself to remember how to spell things would be to create a password from "purple", for example making my login password "butterfliesRpurple".
Eventually, through being forced to type it so many times, think about the word daily, etc. it stops being difficult to spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.