Dice Games

Do you play dice games? Would you use a Dice Game roleplay forum if we had one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it was a statement to people who don't want to try it, and/or are ragging on the idea, in general.
It's the players choice what they use, so why should it matter to other people?
Damage: 4
Range: 2'
Base Probability of Success: 12%
Rolled a 3, Probability raised to 15%, and the attack missed.
I never have a problem with dice games I played them before (not the rp kind) becasue I just got to negative likes on both my posts. I was wondering why I have negative votes.

@Atmo

The post function? It has to be done with an existing post (to prevent people from refreshing and making a new post if they get a bad roll). Go to any of your posts and look at the bottom right-hand corner. There will be a link that says "More Options" after "Bookmark" and "Reply"; click "More Options" and select "Throw a dice" from the drop-down menu that appears. You can then enter the number of dice and number of sides you prefer.

It's a little hard to find, I know. If we have a dice forum, this explanation will be included in the sticky.

@Caramon Zero

It looks like a fair amount of people are on board with this and the overall response has been very positive. I can't promise anything just yet, but things are looking good.

@Zackymas

Even if we don't put up a forum, you could definitely run something simple here! If you have any questions about how, there are a number of people who can help you.

I think it was a statement to people who don't want to try it, and/or are ragging on the idea, in general.
It's the players choice what they use, so why should it matter to other people?
Damage: 4
Range: 2'
Base Probability of Success: 12%
Rolled a 3, Probability raised to 15%, and the attack missed.
I wouldn't mind help with one, it just depends on what all you'd want to incorporate into it. XD
Heck, I had a lot of plans for a forum I put together, but no one wanted to join, so most of my ideas for it ended up in limbo, andI think Mech and Monsters might be able to make a comeback as a dice game. XD
I really hope more people jump onto this idea, because there's a lot of potential to be had in playing like this, and I've honestly wanted to perfect my own die system for such an occassion. XD
Of course I would like some help; I'm creating my own battle system right now to incorporate into the RP, it's very long and complicated, but if you want to help please PM me ^-^

there should be a vote that says "Ive never played a dice roller, but I have always wanted to!"

...but yeah I'd like to try one out, see where it goes...

I personally want to start an online DnD game using skype or google hangouts. I think that would be really fun, and iwaku would be a great place to organize it!!

A QUESTION FROM THE ADMINS!

How many of you guys voting YES for a dice-based roleplay forum are going to be GMing (not just playing in) dice based games?

We need these for purposes. >:3

Reactions: F0X
I'm game, Di. XD

Probably I could open my atelier with some systems I'm interested in trying.

How many of you guys voting YES for a dice-based roleplay forum are going to be GMing (not just playing in) dice based games?

I will most likely DM a game, but I'd also like to play a PC as well.

I'll try it out since my rp friends kept telling me to adventure out.

Nope, not at all. The forum would allow any game using any kind of dice system. Dicebox lets you roll however many dice of however many sides you specify, as does the post function. Roll20- the offsite option- lets you choose between d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and I think a roll plus modifier as well.
The forum dicebox actually doesn't allow however many sides you want. It seems to only allow two digits, so trying to roll anything 100 or over isn't possible. Not a huge problem, but I know 100-sided die are used in various systems, so it'd be nice to have that available one way or another.

Also, I just tested it with this post to confirm it. When you try to throw a d100 it comes up with an error message saying that the maximum number of faces you can use is 100, thus not allowing you to throw a 100-sided die. Anything above that also gives an error message, unsurprisingly.

I might. I've had some ideas for tabletop campaigns that I haven't gotten around to doing because organizing such games online is a pain, but if there's a section made for dice games that gets some decent traffic I'll probably try my hand at GMing some.

@Jorick :
Wouldn't the way around said problem be d10x2, using the first roll/die as the tens place and the second as the ones, with 10/0 representing the opposite depending on its slot, with double 10/0 being 100?
-----

I use different type of cards as a way to determine certain things throughout my games, making each enemy encounter, quest, environment, and item obtained, be unique and original. XD
I make 'CSs' for each individual thing, based off of what each card does, having everywhere from its appearance to its stats be based off of its original source material, so they may or may not follow the same rules as the mainstream TTRPGs, it just depends on what system I impliment and what setting they're in. XD
Heck, I might even throw in a scifi section in a high fantasy setting, saying that all the awesome tech's powered by magic, steam, coal, or something else entirely. XD

Wouldn't the way around said problem be d10x2, using the first roll/die as the tens place and the second as the ones, with 10/0 representing the opposite depending on its slot, with double 10/0 being 100?
That's possible, and in fact one of the roleplays I'm participating in uses 100-sided die rolls to decide things. When it was discovered that we couldn't actually roll 100-sided die, that was something people came up with to get around it.

But then instead of having to do that for everything (which by the way would be especially irritating if you're trying to do something like roll 8 100-sided die, which I just had to do recently) the GM made a room for dice rolls on Roll20 so people could actually do the intended rolls with no nonsense. Whatever happens with the dice stuff, it'd be nice to be able to actually do a 100 roll on the site without needing a janky workaround.

Also, for staff folks, I found another thing with dice that would be nice to change. So far as I can see, there's no way to roll dice in a private conversation. It would be really nice to be able to roll dice in them, both for the sake of being able to do dice games entirely through private convos and to be able to do little one on one bits amidst a larger dice game in private (say for instance one player is off fighting a bunch of guys and you need to do rolls for fight stuff) rather than having to resort to off-site rolls or doing silly stuff like making a post in the game's out of character discussion thread solely for the purpose of rolling for a private bit.

Is anyone here familiar with CORPS, the Complete Omniversal Role-Playing System, and, whether you are or not, would anyone be willing to try a game or two with it?
The main reason I'm asking is because it might help people unfamiliar with dice games be able to have an easier introduction to them that doesn't require as much rolling as a normal TTRPG would.

I also have the first and second parts of the Wolfmoon Adventure series if anyone'd be willing to play through it with me. ^_^

Last edited:
Reactions: Astaroth
@Jorick

Huh, I wasn't aware of that problem with the on-forum dice function (because I don't use it much). However, the Dicebox chat DOES allow you to do this. Example:

[Test has rolled 1 100-sided dice with results: 54 [Total: 54 Average: 54]] -

So an on-site solution is to use the Dicebox for rolls and to copypasta or screenshot to your thread/convo. I will mention the problem with the forum dice function to our code-y Admin, but she might not be able to fix it as it's a third-party add-on.

Likewise I don't think there's anything we can do to add a dice function to Inbox Convos, because of the way XenForo is set up. However, tagging @Diana and @Vay for input on these requests.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jorick
We can't add dice to the inbox convos, no. D: But I was looking in to seeing if it was possible to bump the dice sides up in the forum dice code.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth and Jorick
You know, if I can get my hands on a copy of Folklore I'd be willing to run a game of that....it wouldn't be that hard for me to do.......maybe..... <.< >.> I just wish the game wasn't $84~ on Kickstarter.... T_T

We can't add dice to the inbox convos, no. D: But I was looking in to seeing if it was possible to bump the dice sides up in the forum dice code.
So... No dice based section? TT-TT