Destructed World Cacophony (Steampunk/Urban Fantasy)

Right or Left?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ERode

Shadow and Truth
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Anything that actually has, you know, a good plot. I prefer RPs with fantastical elements, however, so generally, a bit of fantasy goes a long way.
World is all steampunk-ish, what with steam-powered carriages and dapper clothes. PCs will be relatively normal students in a super elite univer-city that rests on an artificial island, before their relatively normal lives are disrupted by a supernatural influence. More information on everything will be divulged as IC events reach those areas.

Inspiration is taken from Gahkthun, Wixoss, and Under Night In Birth.

fbsTPeZ.png

Destructed ✧ World ✧ Cacophony
The Cabals and Covens of Eurasia call it the Purged Bell of Sonathas, the otherworldly being that dwells within another world, granting true Power at a whim.

The Orders and Guilds of the Americas call it the Bloodless Grail, the sacred relic that lends its might to those who bare their fangs at their tragic fates.

The Sects and Societies of the Oriental call it the Divine Mandate, the bell from the heavens that chimes at the birth of a true Emperor.

But, for many others, it is but one rumor amongst many, proliferating all across the world. Ring the bell at midnight and your wish will come true. Confess to your loved one on top of the bell tower and your feelings shall not be denied. Baptize your child beneath the bell and they will live a long life. Those ordinary myths and those extraordinary truths never intersected, two sides of society never intersecting, never fusing.

Not until the Bell manifested.

Until the Bell rang.

Until the Bell selected.

On a restless summer night, the Gate to the Destructed World was opened once more.

1wGd9GB.png

Gas lamps light up the night as steam carriages putter alongside horse-drawn ones. Two lovers swing out of a bar, an elaborate music box signalling their exit with a bawdy tune out of its horn.

On the other side of the street, a young courier rushes out on bike, a bag of telegrams periodically bumping against her body. Though radiophones have been gaining traction recently, cinema's love for written messages still have a certain sway over public perception, and the courier was glad for it.

An overworked Steam Engineering student clears up his fogged up goggles in a back alley, examining the busted power generator. The blare of a far-off tram briefly distracts him, before disappointment settles in. It was the last train of the night, and he would definitely be heading back to the dorms on foot.

Off in the distance, the clocktower rings out the witching hour as a young lady bids her guests 'good night'. Her home is empty now, strange for a noble once surrounded by servants, but photographs of her homeland stave off the loneliness. She turns to the window, inspired. A flash of powder, and another image captured: that of an unsleeping, ever-shining city.

In the background, a sea of thick, unceasing clouds rolls on, forever obstructing the radiance of the sky.

VdAVKxs.png

The Offshore Academy City of Ringrange rises above the dark seas as a scholastic jewel, an international university that has become a city-state of its own accord. Housing over one hundred thousand students and home to many who live on the razor's edge of technological advancement, Ringrange is, first and foremost, a microcosm of a country, replicating its most splendorous highs and its most depraved lows. The hundreds of student clubs run the majority of services present, from clockwork repair to restaurant dining, and, outside of senior officers within the Student Disciplinary Committee or faculty members, Ringrange is a city completely managed by students.

Though the average age may merely be in the early 20s, each student is, at the bare minimum, honor students who have passed three sets of entrance exams to be admitted into Ringrange. There is not a single individual who could be considered 'ordinary', and, in recent years, it has become expected that any scholar of real merit would have graduated from the Offshore Academy City.

And yet, despite that fact, there is still a clear divide between 'prodigies', 'aristocracy', and 'merely unordinary'. The scholarships available are reserved only for top scorers, snatched up by true geniuses so they can focus on nurturing their talents. The aristocracy can pay off tuition in full, relying on coffers of wealth that their family name unlocks. But for everyone else, there is little choice but to join a club, granting safety akin to being in a union, or, if no club takes you, work as a freelancer, taking on any work that others are unwilling to do.

Under such pressures, it is no wonder that many first years crumble.

Those that crack fall into the gutter, wasting away their days in the Dropout District, an euphemism for the slums. Though individual professors may beg to differ, as a whole, Ringrange has no patience for children and their fragile little egos.

For all its magnificent highs, Ringrange is balanced by its devastating lows.

fvnYzTC.png

Much has changed since the advent of the Clockwork Renaissance and the Engine Revolution, as governments change and alliances are formed.

To the Far West, the Americas stand in stalwart rebellion against their former masters, colonies unifying to form the Continental Alliance of the New World. As if taking every opportunity to snub the Great Morceban Kingdom, the Americas embrace change and progress, being the nation to benefit the most from the Engine Revolution.

Within Europe, the Island-Bound Great Morceban Kingdom, the Grand Duchy of Eirchenstadt, and the Sea-Ruling Roman Empire are constantly butting heads as the three Old Powers. Though tensions between them have reached a boiling point already, under the watchful eye of the Transcontinental People's Regime of Kievan Rus, none are willing to pull the trigger.

In the Far East, the Heaven-Blessed Yu Dynasty has all but subjugated surrounding nations, either absorbing foreign territory or turning them into vassal states. Unchallenged and unparalleled, their strong trade relations with the three Old Powers have elevated them to the greatest dynasty in Tian Guo. And yet, the impotency of their Golden Emperor has led to questions of whether or not the Yu Dynasty is still in Heaven's good graces.

The Southern Dark Continent stands unmolested by Imperialism, remaining as the last continent without borders or close relationships with any major powers. Though rumors have spread about certain tribes making connections with the Americas, ultimately, the unforgiving landscape and the lack of natural resources leaves much to be desired.

The Offshore Academy City of Ringrange rests off the mouth of the Mediterranean, with oversea bridges connecting it to the Great Morceban Kingdom, the Roman Empire, and the Dark Continent. Once a symbol of truce between the three Old Powers, it now stands on its own as a city-state that finds independence through the technological advancements that it makes.

Within the stormy waters of the Atlantic Ocean, contact has yet to be made with the Remote Mist-Nation of Meganesia.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. There's gonna be expansions of information as the IC gets underway, but I'm totally fine with answering questions right now. As for what I expect out of players...

I want activity, at least something faster than one post a week. I also want characters who can make mistakes or suffer. And, finally, I want really flashy, badass scenes. The Rule of Cool is the best rule, and there's a reason why one of the inspirations for this was a fighting game.

Also, the ability to think up subplots or get your characters to do shit on their own is nice.

So yeah, questions, concerns, what-have you. Let's go.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Cry and Miya
Pretty damn interesting. I'm in.

Hey~hey!!

Looks coooooools!!

But! Regular rundown: what is posting level, max. number of RPers, can we play multi charries, is there dice/stats use?

Oh! And how much 'academy life' are we gunna be doing? Like what I mean is like are we going to start of in Uni and then leave cuz: ADVENTURE!! Or is the Uni like a home base and we go to class, go adventure, come back, go to class, go adventure, come back, go to class, rinse, repeat. Cuz if its the latter then yeeeeahhh... Boo out cuz Boo no likey :[

~Edz~ Boo voted left cuz she left wants us to 'left' the Uni life behind!!!! :333~~ Good luck with RP err'body^^!!

Last edited:
Sure, whatever. Fucking Rodey.

you son of a bitch i leave you guys alone for a couple months and then see this shit

its 4am you motherfucker and now youre going to keep me up until unholy hours thinking about this thing

@Click This No.
@Artorias Horrifying! D:
@CasketCase Ugly bless boring. I'm out.
@Asuras Yes.
@Psyker Landshark Bitch better go fast.
@Random Sucks to suck. 4AM is early for me.

@Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Posting Level: High Casual. A couple of high-quality paragraphs is all that you should really need for anything. Quality over quantity and all that.

Max number of players is 10. But I doubt I'll get that many.

If you mean multiple characters as in characters that have the same importance as PCs, then no. But I'm fine if you want to play a main character and then a bunch of randumb background peeps.

There are currently no dice and no stats.

That being said, yah, university is going to be home base. So I guess bai bai.

---

Also, banner be up. CS template also be up.

<Insert Character Image>
Anime Only. I don't need reality in muh RPs.
<Insert Character Quote>
A catchphrase that makes all the fangirls squeal.
<Insert Character Name>
Anything goes. You can even name them after historical figures, as long as you don't do something too stupid like making loli Hitler.
<Insert Character Introduction Text>
Start with "He/She (simple present tense verb)." From there, put out a fancy smancy paragraph-long teaser of what your character is like. For examples, check out these.
<Insert Character Theme>
Something that plays when your character becomes a true man.

Note that very little is actually revealed about your character. From here, PM me five nouns that serve as descriptions of what your character is. Examples would be 'A Revolutionary', 'A Model Student', 'A Pathological Liar'. Also PM me any particularly interesting aspects about their history. I don't care if they come from a rich family or whatever. I do care if that rich family has dealings with the mafia or if your character is a bastard child from that rich family.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Pretty groovy, not my cup of tea but props for creativity. Best luck finding your peeps.

You have my heartfelt respect and interest. You still have unrefined taste for waifus though.
I get laughs every time a Rem-lover talk about taste in waifus.

• Love
Reactions: Psyker Landshark
Rem is shit.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

I have an interest, I'll pm you the information SOON(tm).

Yes yes yes yes yes. I've been waiting for something like this to happen.

I know they have the same hair color and all, but 'Betelcheese' and 'Our Lady and Savior, Duchess Crusch Karsten' are spelled in completely different ways. Are you ok, Weisenhart?

Lovin' the theme/world/GM and such, but I've never really done something university-based. A few quick questions before I start developing character ideas:

>What sort of events will be going down through the course of the RP? Will there be a lot of combat, or will our chars mostly be chilling?
>Those three trials in the description: will we be doing those, or will it be assumed our chars have done them already?
>With a university of so many students, how will our PCs be grouped together? Will we just be sharing the same dorm building or will everyone get split into smaller groups?

@ERode Add in one more person, I told him to post here so you would know. If he doesn't later, I'll mention him in callout.

Don't worry he had an interest and a bio planned.

@Jakers
Whether or not things will be centred around fighting or living depends on the playerbase. I'd say that there's going to be more conflict than the average slice of life academy RP though.

Yes, your characters already passed. The RP starts one week after the first day of classes.

You get grouped together based off a common...interest. Or maybe, because of that common interest, you don't get grouped at all.

@RedArmyShogun is his name EmperorsChosen?

• Thank You
Reactions: Jakers
Status
Not open for further replies.