<Student District>
The evening came once more, restaurants kicking into high gear while many other stores closed for the day, ending early in consideration to the festivities that all Sundays brought. Set up in the Student District, the colorful tents of the Carnival Club stood tall over the adjacent buildings, as powerful gas lamps reflected a multitude of colors into the clouded skies. Balancing between buildings, acrobats leapt and tumbled on thin wires, while a muscled luchador lifted a tall log up vertically, a clown on a unicycle wobbling hesitatingly at the peak. A woman with roses in her hair and a man as tall and skinny as a young tree waltzed to the maddening music that rang from large phonographs, scattering fliers in their wake as they wove through the Sunday evening crowd of students.

The Carnival Club's Shining Festa, the first big event of the year, was looking to be an impressive on at the very least, if the performances they used to grab the attention of onlookers served only as an appetizer. Already, people were forming lines at self-made ticket booth, the uniformed man grinning so wide that it was obvious he was stressed from the volume of individuals. A separate gate was open for those who had purchased tickets previously, guarded by a half-naked man from the Dark Continent, perfectly calm despite the massive boa constrictors that coiled all around his body.

Over tallest tent that the Carnival Club had set up, a bodacious woman in a scandalously short dress and a too-large witch's hat flew on a broom. With a snap of her fingers, all the spotlights were aimed in her direction, as she called out, "Heyo, everyone! Our Shining Festa will be starting in an hour! Line up fast, or you'll miss out on all the best seats and food! Enjoy the spectacle and support the debut of our genius sophomores! Once again! One hour left! Forget about your week and immerse yourself in miracles!"

<Roaring Surf Street>

A smoky haze upwards in a warm, dim parlor, the result of many gentlemen lighting and puffing their expensive cigars. The fireplace, wholly unnecessary considering both the weather and the invention of gas heaters, crackled in a charming fashion, as quiet discussions rushed through the gathering place. Upon a wall adorned with paintings, various esoteric images were pinned up, circles and symbols and so many more. It all contained a specialized knowledge that even most students within Ringrange would not understand, written in a dead and forgotten language. Table space was a scarcity, filled bottles of preserved lizards or multicolored tinctures, while the floor itself was cluttered with large diagrams and maps. A bottle of brandy was passed around, filling crystalline tumblers as they strode around, discussions becoming heated as the clock ticked on.

Sunday was a day of rest, after all, but for the gentlemen of the Order of the Golden Dawn, it was the only day that they could ensure they had time to all gather in one place. Off in one corner sat a human-sized doll dressed in mourning clothes. Though unadorned, it was made of fine silks that matched the same lustre as her raven hair. A veil covered much of her face, but the thin, transparent material wasn't enough to hide one important detail.

The glassy, golden eyes that shined, even through a veil that grieved the deaths it had caused.

<Union Arch Plaza>

At this distance, even the advertising of the Carnival Club could not be heard. Uncharacteristically deserted due to all the attention grabbed by that gathering of eccentric performers, only a few couples strode through the pathways of the Union Arch Plaza. Lined with large maple trees and streetlamps that gave a soft light upon the cobblestone path, there was a different type of peacefulness and tranquility that differentiated the location from Roaring Surf Street. Individuals, away from the eyes of others, could plan trysts here, stealing kisses here and there underneath a green canopy.

But, just as trysts could be arranged, so could meetings of a more sinister nature.

On top of the marble arch, a young lady looked upon the rest of the offshore academy city, disdain brewing within her golden eye. A cold wind swept by her face, pushing away locks of brown hair, but she hardly noticed, gazing into the lights of the city, the revelry that intoxicated even the brightest of individuals with materialistic pleasures.

"Disgusting," she muttered.

"Oh?" a pale-haired woman responded, an embellished eyepatch hiding her aureate iris, "I find it beautiful myself."

"A beauty in excess can only serve as entertainment for the unwashed masses."

"But humanity's beauty is found in its greed and desperation, no?"

"…enough." She turned, eyes narrowing. "Why did you call me here? How di-"

"All will be revealed in time. For now though…my allies have tasked me with inviting you into an allegiance. You are, after all, the one blessed with the attention of the Purged Bell, yes?"

"An allegiance? When that gray sun seeks conflict between all?"

The pale-haired woman laughed. "Oh, you aren't aware of anything, are you? Just like how that 'gray sun' had taken interest in you, so has another power has taken interest in someone else."

That amethyst eye lit up with a dangerous edge.

"This is an allegiance for the sake of killing the one who houses the Primordial Incarnation of Destruction within his body."

Those thin lips curved into a mirthless smile.

"Surely such a task is aligned with the new identity you have been given, Heidemarie Krupp."

4StHGrz.jpg

A confined, dark, place but warm and soothing, that's just how she liked it. Eva hugged her knees closer to her chest as she sat hunched on her bed, clad only in her one-piece dark purple nightwear and her blanket covering her form like a hood. Her somber mismatched eyes stared blankly at the wall before her. The festivities being held just outside her dormitory didn't interest her at all, she had just been murdered twice within the span of less than a month, no one in their right mind would still be fine after experiencing those. A sigh left her lips as she buried her face, contemplating what the fortune teller told her.

Those cards... they revealed her fate. Was there ever any chance for her to escape her destiny? The strange power she received, cutting the table clean in half after she uttered that word. "Eviscerate..." Eva muttered but due to her closed eyes, she saw nothing so there wasn't anything to cut. She didn't want anything to do with the twisted murder game but if anyone ever attacked her... she'd not hesitate to defend herself, she'd not repeat the same mistake and get her heart impaled again.

"..." The carnival was getting too loud for her liking... loud, so loud. Eva gritted her teeth, her palms pressing hard against her ears. They... they were coming after her, didn't they? Using the fiesta to disguise their approach then... then they would barge through her door or crash through the window, that sword-wielding bitch, she couldn't wait to kill her again. A-... aaaah!" Gasping hard, her breaths became ragged and short as Eva's eyes shot open, whipping her head left and right, looking out for threats hiding in the shadows. I-... I know... I know you are there!" Eva stuttered out, tears forming in the blanket and on her nightwear as her mind spurred into a paranoid panic.

"Y-you won't...! You won't kill me again!" She faced her door, someone was there, she knew it, she could feel it in her gut. "E-eviscerate!" Eva swiped her hand swiftly. Precisely a second later, the space between herself and the door ebbed as the wooden object split vertically into two symmetrical pieces. "Haa... ha..." There, there she scared the intruder off. No... no, they were still here, more of them?! She mustn't stay, move, move, she had to move! With a scream, Eva threw her blanket as she scampered off her bed, went through broken door, and out of the dormitory.

Still clad in her nightwear, the panicked blonde ran through the busy street, shoving through people watching the festivities. They wouldn't get her if she just kept moving!

Collab between @Jakers and @Izurich

Carefully placing a red bookmark inbetween wide pages, and closing the leatherbound book shut, Yohan gave a small stretch as his mind had finally reached the point where he couldn't take in any more studies. It was great to refresh the mind every now and again, especially whilst enjoying the pleasant temperature and ambiance provided by a space like the roaring surf. Popping the thick book under his arm, Yohan gave a brief yawn. Perhaps he'd settle for calling it a day a little early tonight.

It was a shame he couldn't find Onyx or Alina quite yet, but... he was sure they'd be just fine. As cruel as the Destructed World was, it didn't bring any harm to one's real self. He was sure of that now.

Weaving through the walkways of the Roaring Surf with a slight, relaxed smile on his face, he'd pretty much only just entered the Student District before he noticed something strange. Extremely strange, in fact.

Is that...

The awkward glances of what few people were around the area helped him spot this... girl, running around in...
Oh, Christ almighty!
Yohan blinked twice, before abruptly averting his eyes. Two seconds of seeing that pretty much gave all the information he needed to know. Her hair was long and of a mousy blonde, and looked like it should've been much more well-kept than it was. Just like the situation with Onyx, she was lacking clothing. Whilst her clothing situation wasn't as disastrous as Onyx's that fateful day, running about at speed certainly wasn't doing her any favours. But despite that, the feature he'd been paying most attention to was that one, unmistakable, gleaming golden eye that he himself possessed.

She was coming this way. Fast. He really didn't understand the context of the situation, but he could make one firm guess: Marionette. Whilst he didn't want people to get the wrong idea about him, he knew one thing for sure: he damned well wasn't going to leave her to run around and eventually get a thump from a Student Disciplinary member for acting in such a way.

Thinking fast, Yohan whipped off his jacket
"Excuse me! Miss!" Yohan boldly exclaimed, puffing out his chest and putting a hand out to try and stop the girl whilst deliberately looking away from her. "I'm not going to... you know, so don't panic, all right? Besides, you can't just go running about like that... you're going to get yourself arrested!"

Yohan offered the jacket to her, before speaking in a quieter tone as he gave her a glimpse of his aurellion eye.
"...I'm like you. So, please... just take the jacket?"

It seemed like he wanted to say a lot more, but he didn't have the time to do so without the risk of her just running past like a headless chicken. The girl looked beyond terrified, so perhaps she was beyond saving.

But he'd still do his damnedest.

It was the duty of any fellow student to help someone in such a dilemma, rather than just stare of laugh... which seemed to be just about what everyone else was doing.

"Goodness! To think I'm the only one who'd help out of the crowd here!" Yohan spoke up loudly, giving a fake glare to the crowd. "Why don't you all move along? It's clearly not her day." It sent most of the glances away, slowly, but surely.

In her mindless charge through the street, she could feel eyes upon her, each one glaring daggers, each one just waiting to claim her life. Fully giving into her self-preservation instincts, her slender legs carried her onwards, stumbling a few times but kept her pace, weaving, and shoving. However, sooner or later, her luck ran out as she literally bumped into someone. "Aaah!" Eva yelped, trembling in taller stranger's presence. Was this the black-haired red-eyed assassin disguising as a Disciplinary Committee member? "E-... evis-...!" The blonde stopped her stuttered chant when she heard his voice, far too gruff and deep for a woman, this one wasn't her murderer.

"Ha..." Heaving a sigh of small relief, she looked up at him, widening her eyes at the sight of a golden eye, the very same eye she had. "You..." This was enough to pacify the panicked girl. Eva stood still, slowly taking the offered jacket then covered her body, blushing hard as she became incredibly self-conscious of her indecency. "T-... thank you." The blonde murmured. She stuck close to him as the fellow blonde dismissed the gathering crowd.

Breathing deeply a few times, Eva's heart somewhat calmed down as she took her time to process everything. Likely there was nothing in her room, she freaked out on her own much to her chagrin. "You're like me so... so can you tell me what's going on? What are those visions? The maddened world? And... and why are there people trying to kill me?" She rambled but there was no way she would pass up this chance. It greatly soothed her to know someone else was stricken with the same curse. This meant she wasn't going insane.

"You're quite welcome; no need to look so bashful! We've had worse cases of public indecency in Ringrange. One of my other friends would be delighted to tell you about that, if he were here..." Yohan jested in a chirpy tone. However, his look turned to a serious one as the girl finished talking. She didn't... she didn't know about anything? "...Of course," Yohan nodded, before looking around him. "but first, let's go somewhere less... public. Otherwise people will think our conversations are fueled by hallucinogens. And, er... to put it politely... could you not stand so close?" the young student cleared his throat, "I don't mean that to be rude, it's just that I don't want people to get the wrong idea, that I'm... you know. Being devious."

With that out the way, Yohan made a small gesture for the girl to follow, heading to somewhere that wasn't absolutely heaving with people.
"It's curious that it's only just started affecting you... I assumed everyone 'started' at similar times. Curious indeed..." Yohan pondered aloud as he led the female student somewhere a bit less crowded. Once he was satisfied the density of people wasn't so sparse, he turned, giving a slight smile as he began to explain.

"Well then! I'll explain this as simply as I can... you're going to have to forgive me if this all sounds very strange." Yohan stroked his chin as he looked for the words. "...What's happening is currently unexplainable and defies all logic. I have no answers for how it's happening. Every now and again, at seemingly random, short intervals... your body is going to be 'transported', to some sort of different, dreamlike world. It changes every time, and there's always some sort of... ticking. I'm not sure what it all means. None of us really are. But it's almost as if the world is implying for everyone to..." Yohan struggled to find the words. "...Kill each other. Before 'time' runs short. If the dangers of the world doesn't do that already."

"Don't worry too much, though! Whilst it's true you can feel pain in there, and it's also true you're bound to go through some sort of... 'nightmare'..." Yohan's face creased up at the memories of his own, "...You just have to keep in mind that the injuries you obtain in there won't affect you here. As long as you keep yourself safe in real life, nothing bad's going to happen to you. Always keep that thought in mind, and it'll help you pull through, however long this lasts."

Yohan turned his head downwards from his thoughtful look, offering a hand for the young woman to shake.
"It's true some try and kill others in those 'fake worlds', but I think the most of us are still sane at least. And they'd know better than to try and hurt you here. As reassurance, you have my word I won't harm you, if I meet you in that place." He paused, remembering his manners. "I'm Yohan Rye, by the way. A pleasure. I've been murdered three times so far! How about you?"

Easier said than done, just because he said there were worse offenders in the offshore academy didn't mean her situation was any better. She went out into the streets, out in the public, clad only in her nightwear! What truly helped her was his coat, it was oversized enough to cover her whole body as her hands kept it close to cover her front. "I-... I'm not sure I want to hear that story..." Eva murmured then silently agreed with his initiative to a more secluded location. "Ah?! Uhm... sorry."The shorter blonde stepped away from her male counterpart upon his request, she didn't even realize she was violating his personal space until now. People might get the wrong idea, yes, the last thing she wanted was them being taken by the disciplinary committee for public indecency.

Following her unlikely new ally closely, Eva looked up at his back, "So there are more people like me... like us?" It seemed whatever affecting her wasn't new, further proven by the sword bitch's remark of this being her first time. "Tell me more." By now, she had calmed down as they take a spot in a quiet corner. "H-hehe... I'm sure... you can hardly surprise me after what I went through."Unexplainable, defying logic, laughing in the face of all established science. Indeed, these words portrayed the world of madness she was forced to experience.

"Transported... Kill..." It made sense now, why the whole world went mad, why she was shot in the head the first time and stabbed through the chest the second time. "Everyone went insane... just like the world itself." In the end, however, it was all a dream, a very lifelike dream but a dream. It still didn't explain why their 'powers' stayed with them in the real world. The nightmare just added more salt to her mental wound. "A-alright... yeah, keep myself safe..." So when it happened again, she must defend herself with all she's got. The supernatural ability she received, the power to cut objects clean in half with just one word, it could be useful.

Eva flinched at first from the offered handshake but after a short moment of hesitation, she shyly took his hand, "I... appreciate that." So they could be back each other up, huh? Or was he merely gaining her trust just to kill her later, like that woman? She had no way to find out, not right now. "I'm... uh... you can call me Eva." Three times?! He got it worse than she did, assuming he was telling the truth. "Twice..." She sighed, "What did I ever do to get into this mess?"

Placing his hand back in his trouser pocket with a slight smile, Yohan gave a nod as he memorised the name.
"Eva, you say? That's a nice name," he commented. In truth, he was sort of indifferent to how it sounded, but any sentence that calmed her down was probably worth throwing out there. Although she was certainly looking much better than before, something about her demeanor was still... on edge.

Was he catching suspicion in some of her glares, or was that just his imagination? Either way, it was understandable.

The male student's eyes squinted a little in thought as the festive sounds of a distant carnival roared every now and again in this otherwise quiet alley. Leaning against a wall, he slid down into a seating position against a dirtied, brown-brick wall.

"The chances are you didn't do anything. At first... I thought it was a 'punishment' as well. The memories are faded, now, but... I believe I've done things I wouldn't be proud of. We've all done bad things, I'm sure, but me..." Yohan stared at the floor, resting his hands on his knees. His smile faded for a moment. "If there's a heaven, I don't think I'd be going there. Let's just say that."

"But I know decent people who are in the same predicament as you and me. To my knowledge... they haven't done anything to 'deserve' the torture those nightmares can provide. We haven't been picked because we're 'sinners'. In fact, it all seems so... random," Yohan paused, "...But, for some reason, maybe that ever-changing world picked us. I don't know why they would. What victims I've seen are so... different from each other. It's not like there's a theme. Perhaps we're just unlucky?"

His eyes widened a little. Wait, 'unlucky'...? He shouldn't be using words like that. For all he knew, such negative connotations could be unjustified. Swiftly, he corrected himself.

"Well - maybe 'unlucky' isn't even the word to describe it. It's unpleasant when you're in there most of the time, there's no doubt about that, but we're still okay now, aren't we? And... in truth." Yohan scratched the back of his head. "After all the times I've died... I've felt 'better' and 'better' each time. Not 'better' as in 'stronger'... I couldn't give a monkey's about my power, as bizarre as it is. But 'better' as in... 'happier'...?"

He looked up with a smile.
"So don't worry. Maybe it's not all despair. Whatever you decide to do in that place... I think the best thing to remember is to keep a clear head and don't lose yourself. You know?"

"...I hope that's all helpful. I have a terrible habit to drone on a bit sometimes..."

There was no need for her to give out her full name. If this... 'Yohan' was someone who wanted to kill her, he'd likely already know everything about her anyway. It didn't sit right with her to just blurt out her identity to someone she knew barely an hour ago. So it wasn't some divine punishment, merely a product of chance, then why did that fortune teller seemingly knew everything. Most likely explanation would be that she was one of them too. Then again, she didn't have the golden eye, the gypsy must've covered it somehow.

"I-if you were just defending yourself... I'm sure they are justified." The girl gave Yohan a small smile, "Had I known better, I'd... do what was necessary to survive. Even if it's just a dream, the pain I felt was vividly real." She might not remember every exact detail but the sheer pain was definitely among them. She didn't believe in God, even if there was one, the concept of the Creator wasn't something so simple that humans could just personify in a robed bearded figure floating on a cloud.

"Hmph..." Eva spat, "The person who last murdered me certainly enjoyed every second of it. Just because we are sane doesn't mean there aren't psychopaths out there." If she saw that sword bitch again... she'd eviscerate her in half, yes, make her feel how it was like being split in two. "M-maybe... I certainly don't want to experience any of it if I have a choice." She turned her mismatched eyes away, facing towards the end of the alley where the lights of Shiny Fiesta adorned the main street.

"Huh?" He felt 'better' because he 'died', what kind of delusional statement was that? She knew it, he experienced 'death' so many times, he became desensitized. It made sense since he had no say when he'd be pulled into the madworld again. "You just got used to it." Damn, that statement felt so wrong, getting used to being murdered. "Easier said that done but thank you." She hugged the coat closer to herself. "I... I should get back, I'm borrowing your coat for now, please."

"...You're quite welcome. It's nice to help a fellow student in the same sort of predicament. And, you should know..." Yohan brushed his hair to the side, getting up back onto his feet and wiping particles from the back of his trousers. "...I can't confirm it, but I believe if you end up as the last survivor... you get 'something'. What that something is, I'm not sure. But know this: people aren't killing you just out of spite. One of my fellow 'gold eye's told me something about an 'Empress' of such, but... it's all too vague to know for sure. Power is bound to be at the root of it all, sadly."

With that, it seemed he'd told her everything he had to say. It had been nice getting everything out, but it seemed Eva had to take her leave for now.

"Oh, ah... of course... rather late, isn't it?" He kept quiet for a while. It looked like he wanted to say something else, and eventually - whether it mirrored his thoughts or not - he got it out. "Just... erm... if we meet again... please try and remember to return that old thing. I'm rather fond of it. Guh... uhm... good night."

Yohan's parting words stumbled out somewhat awkwardly as he gave a small nod and smile of departure, holding his leatherbound book tightly under his arm.

With that, the two parted from the quiet spot within the Student District, sounds of festivities distant in the cool, night-time air.

Reactions: RedArmyShogun
Alina was very ready to sit down. Carrying a paper bag around with her, she wouldn't have thought she was using that much energy just walking.
That said, there was always the issue of lack of sleep and food.
Actually, now that she considered it, she probably hadn't even managed breakfast, let alone lunch, but she wasn't even sure herself. The days had already reached the point that they were blurring together. Was it that losing parts of herself caused some absentmindedness from time to time? Maybe that was just her not looking meticulously at every last detail anymore as well?
Well, it didn't really matter, she decided, but that did mean that she had something to voice.
"I want to sit down," she said in a fleeting sort of way, a minor enough statement to simply get lost in the sea of stimuli that was Roaring Surf Street.

Ever since they left the Dragon's Den, Onyx had been unnaturally quiet, a far cry from his normally boisterous self. Not only due to his own embarrassment over how he handled things with the shopkeeper, but also because he was spending most of the time just thinking. While he was essentially following Alina on auto-pilot, he hadn't even been paying attention to where they were going - he was far too caught up in his own thoughts.

"Huh?" He questioned dumbly, snapped back to reality when she finally spoke. "Oh. Then… Shit." Onyx shrugged before looking around, finding a few benches here and there but nothing that actually looked comfortable. If Alina wanted to sit down, then why not just sit down? He really didn't see the point in announcing it unless she was just trying to make conversation to break the tension.

If there even was any tension.

"Want to try some cafe or whatever?"
"Maybe," she admitted. "I am kind of hungry. Actually, I'm generally just a bit uncomfortable all over. Better out here than in there though, am I right?"
With a brief shrug, she started planning a route out in her mind.
"Actually, there is somewhere I know for a brief stop before getting something to eat, if that's alright with you," she suggested.

"Cool with me." He really didn't care where they went at this point. Onyx felt as though he was just along for the ride more than anything else. At very least if they got dragged to the other side, they wouldn't be separated. Safety in numbers and all that. "Where are we going exactly?" He raised an eyebrow, curious as to where Alina had in mind. He really hoped it wasn't one of those places where people ate snails.
Seeing the reluctant expression slip slowly onto his face, Alina waved a hand dismissively.
"Nothing objectionable. I'm not dragging you down to the Dropout District just yet. I made an appointment with a certain someone who might be of help to us yesterday. Or perhaps it was earlier today," she added quietly. She hadn't exactly been keeping track of time nor date. What mattered was stitching the pieces together as soon and smoothly as possible.
After all, they had an enemy to defeat now.
"Well that's reassuring I guess. Does this certain someone have a name or is it meant to be a surprise?" He inquired as they continued to talk with Onyx just following Alina. Maybe she had met another person who had been to that hellhole? Though, that made Onyx wonder what that place was even called. Sure, he had several, not very flattering ways of referring to it, but he figured they'd need something concrete. "So, what do you think about that place? Y'know, where we're sent to die and all that? Like… 'Where' do you think that is? Or is it probably just magic bullshit?" He inquired, not even really expecting an answer.

At this point he was just talking to talk. It provided him with a pretty nice distraction from his own thoughts and it provided him with insight into Alina's.

Alina pulled a thoughtful expression.
"In my head, I'm calling it the Far Side. I think it's like a mirror of some sort. We're on one side of the mirror, and sometimes, we fall into the reflection. But it's only a reflection. It's not quite real. So if we die, we have to come back. It's like dying in a dream. You don't die in the real world. It's just a theory though, and it's looking less and less like it's correct now that certain people have powers on this side too," she admitted.

"I did speculate for a little while this morning about it being Sion or Limbo or something like that. Yeah, I know, I'm dumb, shut up," she grumbled. "Either way, it's past six, so there's no way we're going somewhere like that, I guess. The Bell would have rung by now otherwise. So I don't think it's anything… religious."
For lack of a better one, that was the unfitting word she used to summarise their situation.
As much as she prided herself on her vocabulary, she couldn't think of anything better. Perhaps there was no word to describe it. Concepts that mankind had never needed to entertain before; the curious case of "reality" being a spectrum. There was not the simple switch of "real" and "fake", no "true" and "false", just a thermometer in between the two.

"The Far Side, huh? Sounds better than everything I've been calling it." He admitted, deciding to just be honest. He hadn't been really creative or thoughtful when he referred to the Far Side, choosing more emotional ways of describing the place. "But, that's an interesting way of thinking about it. Also, if it's any consolation, I only know what Limbo is - no idea what Sion is. Can't take my title of the 'dumb' one just yet." He joked with a slight chuckle.

"Still, do you really think we can just keep dying over and over again? If this is supposed to be a test, I think we can only fail so many times before we're actually eliminated. How long do you think before we're… Y'know… Pitted against each other? Since we're supposed to be competing or whatever." Onyx spoke, getting quieter during the latter half. It was something he had considered but didn't want to bring up. He figured it would be inevitable, though, so best to just address the topic and get it over with.
"I think we already have been, in a sense," Alina observed. "There's just no referee to make sure we're actually fighting. Before… Back then, if either of us had caught the other off-guard, we could easily have gouged each other's eyes and taken them as a trophy. We'd have won, we'd have got stronger. That's why I don't think that we can just keep going for eternity. Each time, I've come back, and I've lost a piece of myself, but… Well, you're as whole as when we met. You haven't died since we've met either. I don't know how many times we can die, but it's finite. So we have to defeat the others. But I wonder…"
She trailed off.
No, that was too convenient.
But on the other hand, it had no evidence against it.
The only way was to try it.
Could she do that though?
She shook her thoughts aside for a moment. There was too much wrong with it to begin with.
"Never mind," she decided. "We'll need to deal with as many people as we can in that world. That said… I don't exactly have any kind of special power to do that with. So that might be difficult for me."

"I guess you have a point…" Onyx considered Alina's words. There hadn't been anything actually stopping them from fighting and subsequently killing each other. But now Onyx could only wonder what would happen if they did. Would they take the abilities of the others? That was both a scary and enticing idea. "Looks like I'll just have to keep you alive them. You're probably the smartest out of all of us, not gonna lie. And so long as we meet up with Yohan, if the two of us work together with you guiding us, we should be able to make it. Hopefully." He commenting, choosing to be optimistic. He had faith, even if it was pretty untested, in what he could do with Terminate.

But, he was still curious about the limits of his ability. What was the max 'size' of what he could Terminate? If the situation arose again, would he have been able to 'stop' the giant from last time? How many targets could he even Terminate at one time? He had so many questions, all of which he'd need to try and answer before returning to the Far Side. The last thing he needed was to get bamboozled by his own power.

"I'll have to keep testing it, though. I still don't know its limits yet, which is pretty dangerous in all honesty."
Alina nodded. "It's a pain that it's not something simple that you would just know instinctively. If it were a second brain or something ridiculous like that you'd at least get a feel for some boundaries," she complained idly. "What a pain that we have to wait like this, huh?"
She kicked a pebble across some paving stones to relieve herself of her indignance.
Wait, a pebble? Where from?
Ah, that was the fountain just there.
"Looks like we're here," she pointed out the obvious. Well, obvious to her at any rate.
She made a cursory glance around to see if she could spot that girl.

"I don't think I have enough room in my head for two brains." Onyx blurted out somewhat dumbly, probably raising the question if he even had enough room for one brain. "Oh, the fountain. You think Yohan'll show up? I mean, there's quite a few fountains, so I guess if we wait here long enough he'll show up. Makes sense for us to just wait for him seeing as how he's the one that can teleport."

As the hours passed and the Machine Girl reached the fountain, it was a rather enjoyable walk, what was not enjoyable however was waiting on the stone cold benches for a further hour, with only the sound of her own voice for company. Though it wasn't too surprising all things considered. The first meeting in and of itself had been problematic, with Alina not bothering to tell exactly which fountain she needed to go to, nor a direct time in this case.

Somewhat hungry she however does keep from eating the pastries, while likely cold at this point they still would be somewhat fresh and she did intend to bring them for those she would meet, as a sort of peace offering. Somewhat disappointed she would miss to show and was now waiting here cold, hungry and alone, she half wondered if Alina had simply lied to her, or had no intention on coming for one reason or another. Until when she was about ready to leave she spots the white haired girl from before, with a man no less, he had to be one of the two she mentioned before. Was he the one that talked funny, or perhaps the other one?

Waving to get their attention with both arms, Alice remains seated, with the bag of pastries next to her. "Hey! Over here! Ah, where is the third?" She asks plainly, shouting out to the pair.

Alina raised a hand, waving as she made her way over.
"Can't find him," she shrugged.
Not that she'd really looked, but whatever.
"This is Onyx. Onyx, this is Alice. You probably don't need any more introduction than that," she assumed out loud.

"Oh… Uh… Hi." Onyx said semi-awkwardly, raising a hand in greeting. He had never met a girl that looked as… Curious as her before. How much of her was a machine, exactly? God, he wanted to take a peek at her… Chassis. 'Fuck.' He remarked mentally; Onyx was curious about way too many things now. Like, how did her gears work? Was it clockwork?

"So… How many times have you died?" He asked bluntly. "What can you do?"

Watching the duo approach Alice felt somewhat uneasy with the whole situation, but they all were in this together, right? Watching the male's gaze, it was a look she had noticed among the more elderly professors, well least it was better than a look of disgust, she reflects mentally. His rapid fire questions however caught her a little off guard.

"...eh.." Awkwardly grabbing the bag of pastries that first question did not set well with her, but he likely died as well. "Once.. And I assume you mean those...powers Alina mentioned, I don't know yet. Ah, here I um bought these earlier. One for each.. Well if they other guy shows up.. I'm sorry I don't know much about this..other world, or why I'm in this like you two." Holding the collection of baked goods up, she did feel more than a little useless in the current situation, as her face takes up a slight frown.
Alina sat down next to her, accepting the pastry with a nod of gratitude. It was getting a little oxidised, but oh well.
"Relax, we don't exactly know anything either. As it happens, Onyx does have his power. We were, uh, testing it this morning," she explained. "If something comes up, stick with him. He also happens to be an expert when it comes to clockwork."

"Expert is pushing it, honestly. I mean, I'm good, but…" He trailed off, feeling somewhat modest about his skill as clockwork engineer. At least that's what his father called it - preferring to use a fancy title instead of something rudimentary like 'clockmaker'. While he was pretty happy as a horologist, he couldn't deny that he had been considering becoming an engineer due to his father's insistence. Sitting on the other side of Alice, he took the pastry with a smile. "Thanks. Anyway, my power is 'Terminate'." He said before taking a bite of the pastry, his eyes scanning the crowd before he settled on a guy that was slowly unwrapping a sandwich. He waited for him to raise the sandwich to his face, mouth open and tastebuds watering in anticipation of the delicious deli sandwich he had purchased.

"Terminate." Onyx said and the man froze in place as if he were a mannequin. "I can… 'Stop' people. And things. Haven't really tested its limits, but yeah. Our friend, Yohan, can teleport. There's also this bitch, Marionette, that can make you do anything she says. Speaking of, I'll try to explain this as… Simply as I can. Basically, we're getting pulled to the Far Side to compete in some sort of 'trials' designed to select a new Empress that's supposed to rule the world. There's also this… 'Purging… Purged Bell' or whatever that's supposed to be the source of our powers. It's all really fucked up, honestly. Not only am I really not the Empress type, but killing others for power doesn't really appeal to me" He was blunt and to the point, deciding to just tell her everything he knew for certain. He took another bite of the pastry before looking back to the guy he had terminated. He had completely forgot about him. As soon as 'Terminate' ended, Onyx felt bad when the guy just dropped his sandwich and ran off screaming.

Alina sighed as she witnessed this.
"Could you not have, I don't know, frozen your falling pastry or something?" she asked. "Not like it'd be inedible after. Come on, have some courtesy to the mere mortals."

As Alice listen's to the explanation of who this man was, and his story on what all of this was about, her one human eyebrow arches slightly in response. Though the power was real, something didn't add up with it all to her, voicing her concerns as the man was frozen in time, her clockwork shutter causes her golden eye to blink. "I take it you aren't a fan of sandwiches? But are you sure this all isn't just the ravings of a lunatic and someone isn't just having fun with us? Plus if it was just about killing others to gain powers, then why have some who have only been killed gained anything? Plus this bell..if it is the source how does it work here.. Not that i call you a liar, just how did you learn all of this.. And a girl that can make anyone do as she wants, that's..frightening." Concluding her thoughts aloud the Mechanical girl still had much more she could mention in this regard, but truly the whole situation was just bizarre, if not for that other world his chosen means of power display would have been odd as well.

"Fuck that. What if right as I dropped the pastry a rock fell from the sky and hit me on the head? I probably wouldn't be able to Terminate the pastry and then it'd be ruined." Onyx said matter-of-factly, staring at Alina with way too much seriousness before his gaze swapped to Alice. "Also, sure, maybe it is all the ramblings of some crazy bitch but it's all we got for now. And she knew shit she shouldn't have known. We had just gotten out of the Far Side when I ran into her, and she wasn't there. But she knew everything that happened. So, I'm tempted to believe her." Onyx spoke simply as he finished off the pastry.

"Marionette is the one that told me all this, but I doubt it was even actually her. It was just… Creepy. If you see a girl with an eyepatch, cover your ears or just get as far away from her as you can. Also, I have no clue how any of this shit works. I'm just telling you what I've been told because it's the only information we have, so it's best to assume it's truth until we learn otherwise."

"Well, even so, taking a grain of salt would probably be wise," replied Alina, "especially since there's nothing that says Marionette can't influence our thinking either."
Having already finished, she instead occupied herself playing with the hems of her paper bag.
"It would be all too easy for her to make us forget what she doesn't want us to remember. Any of us might have already encountered her. I'm not saying paranoia is healthy, but…"
She considered for a moment or two as to how to put her point into words.
"No, actually, I am. Some paranoia is definitely healthy regarding this particular subject."
Deep in thought for a moment or two, she eventually rooted through a pocket, producing a pen.
"Keep a tally on your skin. Every time you see Marionette, make a mark," she suggested. "Keep it subtle. We can't stop her from making us erase it, but it will at least let us know when we're being manipulated. If we never have to make a mark, fine. But I think it's a decent precaution. If anyone sees Yohan, make sure to let him know too."

Listening to the clarification and reasoning behind taking this Marionette's word at face value, Alice was more than a little skeptical, but the logic was sound, they truthfully didn't have more information to go off of. No matter how absurd and insane it all sounded. Though it did strike up a thought in Alice;

What if she used her power to force out the answers then erased their recollection of it..

But that would be absurd… Wouldn't it? Next there was Alina's recommendation to address.

"Eheh..I'm afraid I don't have much skin left for that purpose, I'll scratch something into the metal of my arms though, unless she wants me to sand and buffer the plates every time I see her, I should be able to get away with that. Yohan? Ah, he must be the fourth.. I'll just stick with you two if I can, I don't know him.. I mean I could tell anyone that doesn't outright try and kill me and isn't her.." A bit nervous or perhaps disappointed in her own lack of knowledge in regards to the students of the academy, Alice is reminded of the early reprimands given to her by Namie, speaking of;

"Ah yes! We might want to keep an eye out around us, that reporter ran into me earlier, said to tell you, you're cute… But I wonder if he'll take to following one of us, I...don't want to drag others into this madness.."

"I mean, I guess that's a good idea. Don't see why it wouldn't be… Effective. And if I see Yohan, I'll be sure to let him know." Onyx said in response to Alina's suggestion. Though, the very thought of even being around Marionette made him uneasy. Though, anyone with the ability to take away his free will would make him uneasy, in all honesty. He still remembered the sensation of being a 'passenger' in his own body as he ran around naked, having no control over his own actions.

"Woah, Alina has a fan? Damn, looks like I may actually have competition." He remarked with a wry smile, staring at Alina with a bemused expression. "Anyway, what all does this reporter know, or is he just your run of the mill weirdo?"

Alina's pale face had taken on a clear shade of red. "Well, he can think what he wants about me. It's none of my business. More importantly, I haven't told him anything myself," she said. "Unless Alice knows more than I do, I doubt she'd have an easy time explaining anything to a random journalist. Not like he has an eye either."

"Uh, I don't think he's a weirdo maybe.. But he is very inquisitive, and if any of us he's seen get's another golden eye, I'm pretty sure he'll notice, he among others. We might want to make up a story for that.." Running her left hand under her chin as gears shifted and whirled, Alice remembers her other trump card. "Ah yeah, this time I might not be so helpless." Reaching around to her back, the Machine Girl grabs the bag on her hip.

Opening it and pulling out a large glove like mechanical hand, she holds it awkwardly in her right, sliding it over her left, moving each of the claw like fingers, she nods, satisfied.

"Well, one way or another," Alina said, "he's definitely a prime target for Marionette's manipulations, so be careful around him."

"Hm… Well, we'll just have to be careful. Anyway, maybe it's best we head out? We've been out all day and it's possible someone could have been following us or watching. It's a bit paranoid, but maybe we should try and think of an actual place to meet? I work at Timeless Curiosities, it's a pretty small shop but we don't get constant traffic. We can meetup and discuss stuff in the break room. I doubt any of my coworkers would actually care because they tend to be caught up in their own little worlds. Heh... " Onyx chuckled when he realized what he said and he couldn't help but wonder if the same could be said for them when they were on the Far Side. How did they look in public? "Anyway, I think the shop would be the safest and most consistent place for us to meetup. Alina, if you see Yohan you should let him know. Trying to coordinate what fountain we should be meeting at can be a total hassle. And it'd probably be better if it wasn't in public, y'know."

"--Let me know about what, exactly?"

The voice suddenly seemed to appear out of nowhere, deliberately raised and coming with a quick grab of the shoulders, with clear intention to make Onyx jump on purpose. Almost as if freakishly on cue, the tall figure of Yohan Rye was standing right behind the white-haired male, a brief grin appearing on his face. Whether he'd actually used his ability to get here or not was unknown, but either way, it was almost as if he'd come out of nowhere.

Letting out a short laugh before continuing, to those who knew him before, his tone of voice seemed… different.
"My apologies, my apologies… I shouldn't have waited to do that for as long as I did. But finding you was surprisingly easy. I followed a trail comprising of a screaming man, and a mysterious fallen sandwich. I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't avenge him; isn't that the second time?"

It was almost chirpy, in a way, compared to his old mellow and miserable monotone. Even his appearance, to some degree, was somewhat different. For whatever reason, Yohan was missing his beloved, long coat, and his wide cap lay much looser atop his head. Looking up, across the table in two other seats, Onyx wasn't alone. One very familiar and unfamiliar face was accompanying him, in fact.

"Alina! Thank Christ…" his joking smile faded as he struggled for a moment why he was so glad to see she was still here, in the real world. Something happened to her… but… he couldn't remember the exact details. "It's good to see you're okay. And… oh…?" he studied the other girl for a moment, looking equally puzzled and amazed as he did so. Never before did he think he'd see such incredible craftsmanship attached to a human being. Whatever her story was, he figured it was rude to stare. "...Greetings, I don't believe we've had the pleasure. I'm Yohan. Yohan Rye. And judging by that eye of yours… I'm guessing all four of us are in the same predicament." He bowed.

"I'm sorry I didn't put more time into finding you all. I've been a little sidetracked with… various things," he paused for a moment, before nonchalantly adding in a quiet voice, "Oh, by the way, I perished… again. But… I don't actually think it's all that terrible. Either way… were you fellows thinking of heading elsewhere? I'd be happy to tag along, whatever your plans were."

@Random @Jageroux @RedArmyShogun @Jakers
With the four united, it soon became less of a matter of what they should talk about and more a matter of what they were going to do with their new alliance. Information had been more or less shared at this point, and, with nothing better to do, a perfectly balanced group of young first years did what every other equal-gender group of first years did: go see the carnival.

Forsaking the elegance of Roaring Surf Street for the revelry that descended upon the Student District, it was fairly easy for the four of them to locate the large tents of the Shining Festa, where gymnasts defied gravity with slacklines and tamers from the Dark Continent played with ferocious beasts. Up above, the scandalously dressed witch blew a kiss that looked as if it was especially aimed at the quartet, before continuing her lazy circles over the tents. A man juggling what looked dangerously similar to Molotov cocktails smiled at them, before wheeling out of their path.

With only twenty minutes left until the show truly began, the lineups at the ticket box was long, the poor youth managing the station exhausted from having to process all the visitors himself. An empty pot of coffee stood beside him, and at least fifty students stood in front of him, their excited chatter turning into a headache inducing torrent of words.

@Izurich
Now 'properly' dressed, with her nightclothes concealed beneath a men's coat that was too large for her small frame, Eva's appearance attracted much less attention as she strode through the cobbled streets, her bare feet slapping against the uneven ground. The pain incurred from dashing so recklessly through the cobblestone was beginning to make itself known, her feet throbbing unpleasantly. There were a few taxis on the main road, steam engines whirring and putting out vapours, but with no money, there was nothing she could do but walk.

If nothing else, the distance to her own dorm suite wasn't that far off, and with that small bit of encouragement, combined with the recent encounter with a person who empathized with her plight, Eva's mood remained pleasant.

Pleasant all the way until she saw a familiar face, patrolling the streets.

Long, black hair.

A piercing red eye.

A white, lacy ribbon.

The sword that plunged through spine, out of her chest.

Across a calm street, empty of steam cars and bicycles, with the music of the Carnival resounding over the entire area, the woman that killed her turned, slowly, calmly, methodically.

Their eyes locked.

4StHGrz.jpg

After her brief but fortuitous encounter with the blonde stranger who shared her 'curse', Eva made her way back towards her dormitory. She hugged the borrowed jacket tighter to her body, the apparel's oversized nature made it possible to cover her from neck to ankle in which she was really grateful about. Damn it, now the toll of running on the streets barefooted came to take its due. Jolts of irritating pain grated her nerves with each step she made. Unfortunately, she had no choice but to tough it out until she arrived back at her dormitory. Thankfully, it wasn't much further.

However, her unpleasant, yet steady walk would come to an abrupt halt as her gut knotted, goosebumps flared behind her neck. Eva gulped as she slowly turned her head towards the street, focusing on a strangely familiar figure across it. Those raven locks, sharp red gaze, and most importantly, the damned sword that impaled her in the dream world. Her. It was her. The faker of a disciplinary committee, the deceiver, the traitor, "Murderer..." Eva gritted her teeth, growling under her breath. Her pupils dilated as hatred flowed through her veins, gripping her, overpowering her moral inhibitions from her well-groomed upbringing.

With her breaths growing ragged, the girl clenched one fist as she raised her other arm, swiping it in the air, "Eviscerate!!" She declared, voice dripping with wrathful vengeance. She wouldn't allow her to live, wouldn't let her take any more innocent lives. This monster wearing a human disguise must die, right here, right now!

Perhaps giving Onyx a banterous fright hadn't been the smartest of ways to introduce himself, but either way, he was just glad to see two familiar faces - and one new friendly face - once more. Not only were they fellow people who, even if they hadn't known each other too long, he could consider 'friends' in a way... but it also reinforced his theory that this 'curse' wasn't hurting them in the real world at all. Everyone seemed fine - just like they'd always been - and he was fine. Just like he'd always been. In the strangest way, deep within the discreetly crumbling mind of Yohan Rye, he was starting to believe that this 'curse' was actually some sort of blessing in disguise.

They'd settled for the carnival, and with the incredible feats that were as commonplace around here as were trees in a forest, it had seemed a fine choice for the group to 'hang out', in a way, and perhaps enjoy themselves before they got whisked off to some strange place again.
"Looks promising, doesn't it?" Yohan observed, laughing in appreciation at the bottle juggler, not really believing those were actual incendiary devices. Even if they were, half of a circus actor's days were spent practicing, practicing, practicing: enough so that even they themselves believed there was an absolute zero percent chance they'd mess up or fail.

...Practicing, practicing... zero percent chance... why did that all sound so familiar?

The thought drifted away as quickly as it had came, and the haze of chatter didn't seem to phase Yohan all that much as he spoke to the other three as the dense queue - slowly but surely - began to whittle down.
"Oh, before I forget. There was something I wanted to mention to you all. Not long ago, I met a girl by the name of 'Eva'. Like all of us, she had the..." realizing he was in a place that couldn't be any more public, his voice died down somewhat. "...you know. But what was particularly curious about her was that she didn't understand the concept of what was going on at all. ...She was just how we would act if we awakened from the first time we were pulled into that place. And by the looks of things, she'd been sentenced to a... similar fate as with 'the Marionette incident' you suffered, Onyx. But, back to the point about her seeming 'new'. It gives a scary thought," Yohan stroked his chin. "What if more and more people are being... 'pulled in'? Will there be a limit? Will it slowly affect everyone, in due time?"

Such were idle speculations, of course. But doing so was a fun way to stimulate the brain in a scenario that couldn't be explained by science or logic. By now, he'd just come to accept things didn't make sense. Rather than worrying about how to explain these issues, he found it more productive to figure out how to live a happy, successful life, despite those unpleasant experiences. Perhaps tomorrow morning, the Order of the Golden Dawn could be a key to finding his real purpose in life.

It didn't seem to be long in their wait, however, when a problem presented itself. They needed tickets to get in, and the only one who had one of these tickets was the curious girl laced with machinery Yohan had yet to learn more about. The situation seemed dire, until seeing that ticket caused Yohan's eye to twitch as he remembered something. ...Didn't he have something like that? He could remember a sly yet friendly man handing him a little bronze strip; a consolation prize, presumably, of some sort... because he lost at 'something'? As faded as the memory was, he was sure he obtained some kind of 'special ticket' in the past.

That 'ticket' of hers... it's different from the one I have. Could this bronze design of the one I have mean that... Yohan paused in his thought for a moment, before waiting a while to observe further in the queue. People headed in one-by-one as normal, the tired boy at the desk likely praying for the day to be over, but suddenly, a whole group consisting of five people shot through the crew inexplicably. Or at least it seemed it explainable, until he saw that same bronze ticket being issued.

A grin appeared on the student's face, the young man seemingly absorbing the lively and happy mood around him.
"Fear not, fellows. I have just the thing up my sleeve for a situation like thi...s...?" Yohan cut off slowly as he checked his right trouser pocket. Not there. He checked his left trouser pocket. Not there either. Right-back trouser pocket...?

Oh, blistering bollocks! That ticket I obtained, I must've left it in one of my coat pocke-- the mini heart attack faded as he felt a small slither of material in his left-back trouser pocket, and he let out a beyond relieved sigh. Presenting this ticket to the other three with a victorious smile, once it came to their turn in line, he was sure to utilize this kindly-gifted 'freebie'.

"The four of us, please, my good man." He swished the ticket through the air, treating it as if it were some sort of powerful object, before presenting it to the ticket counter. "This should cover it, correct?" He gave a joking laugh, before raising an eyebrow as he noted an empty coffee pot next to the child, and a look of complete exhaustion on his face. Such was the toll of a busy night's work. "Long night, I presume? Tonight seems quite the event... hopefully all ends smoothly and no petrol bombs are dropped, eh?"

The laugh Yohan ended with was good-humored and friendly, but for those who weren't a stranger to his presence, there was something almost unsettling about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pondering all he had to say in regards to this Eva girl, Alice's human eye narrows in response as they moved on from their fountain meeting spot. Deciding to chirp in with her own response on the subject she begun to wonder why they weren't taken in as of yet.

"I'm not so sure, it's a big city I mean.. and I myself was out for longer than you guys, maybe the same happened to her?"

Watching Yohan rather carefully, it seemed he was attempting to barter with his single bronze ticket. Keeping her clipper hand behind her back, she ponders taking it off and placing it back in it's sack. While no one had yet to pay it attention, she did worry about having another breakdown with that thing attached. Though she didn't figure they would go here of all places, or that the other world had yet to take them, all the same she couldn't just leave him to take care of it all.

"U-umm.." With a soft smile to her face that almost seemed to be a pout, the Machine Girl moves ahead of Yohan, pulling out her own ticket, being a little larger than a standard ticket, the material it's self seemed to be rather cheap, caked in dust with a faint metallic sheen more akin to silver or gold embroidery, of note the body of the ticket was white rather than the commonplace bronze.

Presenting the ticket with her right hand, Alice smiles softly leaning her head towards the other three. "If his ticket isn't good enough for us all, I received this one when the weight performer and some clowns were doing an act in the city this morning... I don't know much about what the ticket is for." Hoping it was at least worth enough to get them all in with Yohan's ticket, she felt a little nervous with the situation, never mind with this group being made of two sets of two made the situation all the more awkward, simply going in on her own could be dicey, more so if they were taken into the other world.

Then there was Yohan's bizarre laugh moments before... Doing her best to keep up a smile, she finds her thoughts colliding on how best to help out this man who was little more than a stranger to her. He was an ally for now regardless of that, wasn't he? "Ahahah.. Don't mind him, he's always been like this." While pondering to grasp his hand or arm as if they were on a date, she makes some effort of doing this, but hesitates stopping short of attempting to take her cover that far. In place doing a semi put her feet kick up dust from the ground as she kicks her left leg back and forth awaiting some form of response.

@Jakers @RedArmyShogun @Random @Jageroux
With fifty others in line, the wait was truly a long one. Slowly shuffling through, Yohan and his group made it to the front of the ticket box twenty minutes after the show began, a woman's voice ringing clearly through a microphone as she announced fascinating spectacles such as the existence of an actual Amazon, taming a string of mighty stallions, or the Kiev Rus twins that feared not the jaws of gravity, leaping from one end of the tent to the other while holding onto only the thinnest of strings.

Honestly, it sounded like an accident just waiting to happen, considering how these performers all must have been students as well, their actual scholastic careers limiting the amount of practice they could put in a day.

And yet, the danger was part of the charm, and those who purchased their tickets were quick to rush over to the gates, where another two members of the Carnival Club punched in the tickets and let them in.

Such an arrangement, however, proved…troublesome for those who had waited in line, yet already had tickets. As Yohan showed off his own bronze ticket, the young man, no doubt a new addition to the Carnival Club, looked from his group, to the group of five that had just ran off earlier, and squeaked, "…uh…sir…I truly apologize for this…but…"

Another ticket pressed to his face, the high-strung, stressed out solo-warrior lurched back, not sure what exactly was going on, before he made some wild motions towards the gate, hoping to just get them out of his hair. Why would they go to a place to buy tickets, when they already had them? What sort of harassment was this?!

@Izurich
Space rent one second after the declaration, slicing through the ether as a two dimensional cut emerged across the space that separated the two. The air seemed to temporarily shimmer, the faintest of cuts emerging in the slightly smoggy atmosphere, but for all of Eva's hatred, nothing else happened. The red eyed woman observed the lack of an effect, and shook her head slightly, side from side. Her hands reached for the collar of her uniform, before pulling it up, obscuring her mouth.

And then, just like that, the woman disappeared, not a trace left.

Others on the street, eyes drawn towards Eva, looked at her curiously, but after a few moments, went on their way, not wanting to get involved with someone that was clearly drunk or drugged.

4StHGrz.jpg

Then, nothing happened...

Nothing except for slight distortions in the smoggy night air. "..." For the first few seconds, Eva blinked her mismatched eyes, still waiting for anything else to happen. Why wasn't the killer woman cut in two? Hell, she didn't look hurt in the slightest. Shit, was this sword-wielding murderer immune to her powers? It wouldn't be far-fetched if she did, she was clearly more experienced in this cursed 'game' than Eva.

Hatred and anger giving way to fear and regret as the blonde took a step back, another step back, and another until her back hit the building wall behind her. She had done it, she screwed up... again. If only she could just play ignorance and be on her way but no, she just had to mess with a serial killer without any preparation. Now the fake disciplinary committee was going to kill her. This being the 'real' world meant her death would be for good. The thought sent Eva reeling back even further, pressing herself against the wall.

She wanted to run, run as fast as she could but her legs were shackled in fear and exhaustion. Even if she could run, the various cuts and wounds on her soles would make her efforts futile. "Haaa..." Resigning to her fate, she turned her gaze away from the vanishing psychopath and just sat there against the wall, hugging her knees, closing her eyes as she prayed the red-eyed assassin would make it quick and painless.

"This is... Interesting. I guess..." Onyx sounded extremely uncertain about everything. It wasn't that he wasn't interested in the carnival, per se, but Yohan was just weirding him out. It was unsettling, in all honesty, to watch someone's entire personality change over the course of a few days. It was so unnatural and uncanny when he thought back on how Yohan was when they first met and how he was now. In all honesty? He preferred Yohan when they first met. The one before them seemed more like a bastard imitation of the original.

While yes, he seemed 'happier' and more 'content', it felt fake. The laughs and the smiles; none of it really seemed genuine. Or perhaps that was just Onyx being unnaturally pessimistic. From the few stray comments Yohan made, it was almost as if he thought the changes the Far Side were making were good. But if those changes were being forced upon him, then how good could they truly be? Onyx couldn't believe they were anything to be content with; anything or anyone that forced change upon you wasn't something he 'liked'.

But, in the same vein, he enjoyed the power that had been granted upon him. Terminate. The ability to 'stop' things; the possibilities were endless. He could use them to take almost anything he wanted with little repercussion if he was smart about it. But wasn't that little more than a trap? Like a serpent in a garden beckoning you to eat from a tree you know you shouldn't? Onyx huffed, his eyes scanning the area. There were so many people... And to think most, if not all, were ignorant to the happenings around them.

How long had this been going on? This... 'competition' to be crowned empress? What was the explanation for any of it? He didn't know, and that bothered him. But, he couldn't do anything about that. Maybe in time they'd learn more, hopefully without running into Marionette. Looking beside him as they were ushered forward to the show, he focused on Alina, leaning beside her as he spoke in a whisper.

"How you feeling?" He inquired, eyes actually focused on Yohan as he spoke. "And what do you think of... Yohan's 'change'. It's a bit out of left field, don't you think? Do you think he's died since the last time we saw him?"

Onyx was hardly alone in his suspicions. Alina had already attempted to revert to her stony-faced former self to see if she could throw Yohan off any, but...
Dammit, this is hard!
Since when was it so difficult to keep a poker face?
She was so focused on it that she very nearly leapt out of her skin when Onyx spoke, but calmed herself just short of yelping.
"U-um," she stifled. "Ahem. Well, now that you mention it..."
She trailed off, only partly of her own volition. Yeah, this was just as difficult to admit as she had suspected it would be.
"It's funny you say that, but... with that ghost thing... I might have flattened him," she mumbled. "It's not my fault. He killed me too, so we're even."
Of course, she had already considered that. She was certain that it weighed into this sudden shift in personality, but that in itself posed another problem.
"He probably is like this because he died," she noted, slipping her hands into her pockets uneasily, "but this is a big change. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just that simple, so I don't really care about why he's changed so much as what. As he is now, this is too stark a difference to reliably tell if he's acting out of the ordinary. If Marionette is here and exerts some sort of control over him, it'll be extremely hard to notice. Much more so than me or you."

Alina, naturally, was still Alina. At least, to a greater degree than certain others were themselves. She'd already constructed countermeasures in her head.
"Alice hasn't got any powers yet, so I can handle her. You keep your eye on Yohan. You're his perfect counter after all. Just make sure you don't let anyone know you can do the mind thing. Keep it between us, got it?" she ordered in a stern, commanding tone, poking him in the chest as she spoke so as to drive the point home, or... something like that.

With the addition of this 'mechanical girl''s ticket, Yohan was feeling absolutely confident they were all going to get in. Although, he did feel somewhat confused as to why she was acting as if he'd done something weird. Was laughing weird? ...He'd just been trying to get in the mood of the carnival. Perhaps he was misunderstanding.
"Eh? I've always been like... what? Wait, haven't you known me for only approximately thirty min-" Yohan's inquiry was cut short as he noticed the young ticket counter non-verbally screaming at the two to go elsewhere.

Wait, this wasn't the place where you handed in tickets?

"...Oh. Erm-"
with a brief cough, Yohan cut off, trying to hide a slightly flushed face by tilting his hat downwards as he thundered forth to the actual ticket hand-in area.

"Sorry about that, chaps... in truth, I've never really been to a place where you have to 'hand in' tickets, as such,"
Yohan apologized to the trio accompanying him, though it was hard to speak above the booming, amplified sounds of an announcer introducing and explaining new and unfathomably bizarre acts. Although he wanted to feel annoyed at himself, Yohan tried to look on the bright side of things. At least he wouldn't be making that mistake again. Even though the wait had been quite long, and they'd missed some things, nobody seemed to really mind.

Whilst completely oblivious to the conversation between Alina and Onyx, he couldn't help but feel a little... unnerved, as to why they were barely talking. It could've been - and he was hoping - that it was his imagination, but they almost seemed slightly scared of him. Why was that? It wasn't like he was a dangerous individual... and in comparison to the other powers he'd seen and heard about, his 'power word' wasn't exactly one to be feared.

It had always been like Alina to not show her emotions, from what he could remember, but Onyx had always been there to give a little witty comment, at the least. Now, though... he was receiving little but weirded-out looks. Whilst he'd never been the most popular guy in the universe, regardless, he felt somewhat puzzled.
Is there something stuck in my teeth? I... have bedhead, perhaps? My breath doesn't smell, does it? Perhaps I should ask them what's the matter- Yohan paused in his thoughts for a moment. No. Perhaps... perhaps they had a rough time of the 'broken world' as well. It'd be rude of me to bring it up; perhaps they just want to forget. There's nothing wrong with me. Nothing wrong at all.

Clearing his throat, Yohan tried to not let it get to him. It really was a nice occasion to see familiar faces in the same predicament alive and well, so... before the next 'broken world' came, perhaps they'd get a chance to enjoy themselves.

Bright-eyed as he looked for an appropriate array of seats for the four, the cluster of various sound effects brewed from the mixture of an amazed crowd and incredible feats from performers was pleasantly overwhelming. The area surrounding the main stage was colourful and tirelessly decorated - each angle of the show was like looking at an abstract painting, in a way. The amount of effort that had gone into making this whole thing happen seemed unbelievable.

Turning his head back to talk, Yohan tried to ignore the fact Onyx and Alina seemed to be hanging back and talking in private. ...Likely nothing, right? He'd be doing nobody any favours if he got paranoid about it.
"Oh... erm, guys? Before the next act starts. What was that thing I overheard that you wanted to warn me about at the café? Was it important?" he paused for a moment. "...Because, there was actually something I wanted to tell y--"

His sentence was cut off; it seemed another act was about to begin.

@Jakers @Jageroux @RedArmyShogun @Random
Regardless of what conversation could be had inbetween the acts, the four students still found their attentions captivated by the many wondrous acts that spanned through the night. Dark-skinned men, their muscular bodies oiled up, tamed giant flames, while wonderful displays of equestrianism moved hearts with the bond of man and beast. Vendors constantly milled about, shouting the prices of treats both sweet and savory. Acrobats revealed their full ability on thin wires, a three dimensional defiance of death. Clowns burst out one by one from a box that was much too small, while savage beasts pranced about to the tune of a man's voice.

And, as the night continued on, the performances only became more and more fantastic. The man that Yohan had encountered in both the Dropout District and Roaring Surf Street pulled off nigh-impossible acts of sleight-of-hand, large objects appearing and reappearing in different places, a burst of flower petals floating down upon the ladies and gentlemen in the front seats, only to disappear before they could reach out and touch them. With that closing act, a ballerina with the motif of a white swan twirled across the grassy field, scattering feathers that floated gently and yet could be thrown with such accuracy and force that the bells suspended up above could be made to ring with each successive strike. Amongst the pealing of the bells, two men dressed in animal skins, one with a lion head and another with a tiger head, fell from the very top of the carnival tent, somersaulting and landing dramatically, the force of their descent felt all the way up to the middle rows. Like beasts, like berserkers, they launched themselves at each other, roars that shook audience members to the very core sounding with each clash. They leapt the entire width of the area, their exchanged blows sounded like thunderclaps, and if not for how it was clearly a dramatized fight, complete with superhuman, superfluous movements, it was most definitely a deathmatch.

But before the beasts could shred each other apart completely, a burst of light shone down into the arena, gas lamps doused all at the same time as the carnival top rolled back, exposing the illuminance of a massive disc, white with irregular gray splotches. From that disc, the final act emerged, heralded by the jubilation of the showman.

"Hallo everyone!" The voice of a woman in a pink variation of a witch's costume rang clearly, as an unseen band swelled. A storm of cherry blossoms rained down from nowhere, as she floated down on top of a broomstick. Though her one-piece dress barely reached the mid-point of her smooth thighs, her undergarments could not be seen, and though her wide-brimmed hat cast a dark shadow over her face, her emerald eyes still glimmered, as if giving a light of its own.

"We've reached the final climax of the Shining Festa! Did everyone have fun?" A thunderous applause was all she needed, as she dropped down onto the broom she had been standing on, legs squeezing against the long shaft. "Alright, let's end this off with a bang and a boom!"

What followed was a light show that could only be described as miraculous, fireworks exploding within the tent, their dying embers instead forming the images of animals, both real and mythological. A sparkling menagerie danced about, brilliantly twinkling before poofing into the ether. A trail of stardust followed her path within the airspace of the massive tent, dragons giving chase only to be dispelled with a meteor shower. Under the light of a celestial object long forgotten, the witch danced to and fro, a blindingly joyful expression on her face as she let loose with marvels that caused the audience to 'ooo' and 'ahhh', temporarily forgetting about the world outside of the Carnival. At the finale, silver dust pervaded the entire area, and for one never-ending moment, they were striding through a sparkling sea, the dust parting and poofing into a kaleidoscope of colors as people reached for them.

Then, the lights flickered on, the disc disappeared, and the entire cast of the Carnival Club reappeared on stage.

One last hurrah. One last sign of gratitude. And then, just as quickly, they disappeared once more.

Standing alone in midair, the witch blew a kiss, and flew off into the heavens.

@Izurich
Pressed against a wall, covering, the golden-eyed girl waited for her demise.

But it never came.

Seconds became minutes as her prayer continued on to a God that she did not believe in, hugging her knees as the terror consumed her. And yet, the reaper that loomed still chose not to strike. Was she enjoying the situation? Enjoying the power she held over life and death, the scythe she wielded in her hands? The shadows encroached, the music from the carnival distorting into a sickening parody of joy, while she could hear it now, the click-clack of boots against cobblestone, the imminent arrival of the one that would take her life.

"Excuse me,"
a boyish voice sounded, "Are you alright, miss?"

Emerald eyes peered at her through round-rimmed glasses as a young boy, his voice not yet cracked, stood before her. With a beige-and-green hat and dirty blonde hair that was meticulously straight, he looked to be quite the scholarly individual, one of the younger prodigies of the world that had been admitted to the Offshore Academy City at an early age. In one hand was a brass cane, while the other hand was offered towards her.

"Is something the matter?"

Watching the scene at the ticket counter, Alice couldn't really say anything in regards to Yohan's ignorance of the situation, though it didn't make her feel any the less embarrassed as the situation corrected it's self, then he had to of course mention, or nearly did the fact she didn't know him all that long.

Who is more the fool, the fool, or the fool who follows him..

Chiding herself with that bit of conventional wisdom Alice follows along to hand the ticket in to the correct booth. Watching the interplay between her allies she could not hear what they were saying, but judging how the trio were behaving, then the whole fingering jab I am the boss! seeming manner of being from Alina set her on nerves. From past experiences and observing others, it would be a good idea to not count so much on these allies.. More so if the madness of power coming from killing others was true.

Reflexively curling her claw hand her one human eye scans the three, if need be she wouldn't be dying again..

With a brief if not somewhat creepy smile to her face Alice quickly catches herself, pretending all was fine she joins the four in the stands. Keeping her hand casually hidden it seemed no one had noticed or just didn't give a single care in the world. If that's how it was going to be maybe she should just wear both next time, though that seriously hampered her ability to open doors or to grab things that required a delicate touch among other things.. Though maybe for the best no one had taken issue to the claw hand.

Many of these acts were fairly impressive, from the bodybuilders, acrobatics, clowns. Each act more impressive than the one before it, finally came a witch, possing a figure to be jealous of, Alice frowns sullenly at the display, half wondering if the Witch knew some trick to hide her undergarments, or simply wasn't wearing any and her vibrant green eyes shone brightly. Perturbed by this thought her mind soon wanders off to others, not in the least smiling with the closing act.

In the not so recent past she would have tried figuring out the trick to this all, while some acts did in fact likely have human brawn and brain behind them, she had learned a hard truth that she had to admit.

Some things in this world could not be explain by logic and reason and in the shadows did terrible things lurk. Then there was the question that Yohan had left the group with before the back to back acts cut him off. Looking at the three as her mechanical eye "blinks" Alice knew better than to just trust them all, but all the same Yohan should know something so important.

"It's thought that Marionette Girl I was told of can manipulate the memories of others maybe. So if you run into her, make a marking on something or yourself that can't be easily removed for each run in." Saying this flatly and blankly the girl gets up from her seat, half wondering when or even if that other world would take them.

"We shouldn't... hang around crowds.. I'm nervous that place hasn't taken us yet.. I need to find something to eat anyways.. Oh.."

Looking down with a somewhat sad expression she had totally forgotten, the Pastry she had bought for Yohan, she never gave it to him, it likely was left on the bench after she had put on her clipper hand.. Well at least someone or something likely ate it..

I could have eaten that..

"Ah..haha..um, well Time to look around at what's closing up might can get a lucky discount."

4StHGrz.jpg

Either the murderer loved toying with her prey or she thought this particular fool was so helpless that she wasn't worth staining her damned sword a second time, one thing for sure, Eva was living on a borrowed time. Whether soon or much later, she'd die, just like all of the killer's previous victims. "..." The Morceban girl sighed as she stared blankly at the foggy street, heedless to everything around her... that was until a young voice called out to her from the side.

"Nnn...?" As if reduced to the reactive capability of a snail, the blonde only stirred after a few long seconds, facing her mismatched eyes towards the younger student. He dressed fancy, must be one of those wealthy prodigies, rich and smart, definitely someone to envy. Though he looked Morceban, just like Eva, his accent revealed him hailing from the New World, descendants of those colonists.

"No, I'm not." Eva answered dryly, sarcasm or no, no one would seriously believe a student clad in ill-fitted clothes curled on a street hugging her knees to be alright. Turning her eyes away from the boy, she stared at the ground for a few moments before meekly taking his hand, pulling herself up. The blonde hugged the coat close to herself. "I need to get back..." Just a single step later, Eva winced, agony marring her features as she buckled down, holding her left feet. "Aaaah...!" Curses, the cuts were bleeding, "I'm sorry, but do you have some disinfectant or bandages?" She grunted, "I-... I can't walk like this."

Incredible.

Watching everything truly made him feel like he was in some sort of... 'dream'. The vibrant lights; the faultless performances. What sounded like real beasts, real sounds of impact; feats that made you feel like a child again in blissful dreams. One could've talked about the sheer variety of the acts for hours; each lined up in a way that made the following one seem even more impressive than the last. Just when you thought 'nothing could top that, that must've been the finale', the next act stormed in and did something even more outrageous. The show truly had been something to behold.

As the magenta, emerald-eyed performer rose, shrunk, and disappeared into the veil of a starlit night, Yohan was left open-mouthed as the surrounding crowd clapped, whistled, and cheered at what had been an incredible show. It was clear he wasn't the only one dumbfounded after the performance; many of the crowd were absolutely baffled, shaking their head in disbelief as the more academic types desperately tried to explain the logic

But who cared about explaining? That was the fun of magic, after all.

At least, that's what the young man was trying to tell himself. Repeatedly.
Could... could 'powers' be at work here? I didn't see any lip movements. It's the main part of magic acts to trick the viewer into thinking what the magician does is impossible, but... that was ludicrous!

After being given a power that allowed him to defy all known laws of reality, and being introduced to a whole series of 'broken worlds' that 'couldn't exist', it was clear an ethereal, inexplainable element in this universe did exist. Were some of the actors in that performance using 'powers' as well? Were they performing actual magic, far beyond the complexity of his comparatively simpleTranslocate?

Thoughts continued to spew and brew around in his head until he was being left with existential questions to himself such as:
Is this even reality? Am I even real?

Perhaps that was the true magic of the show. Not only to entertain to an unforgettable extent, but to leave the viewers truly thinking.

Broke out of his thoughts, the question he asked earlier was answered by the purple-haired, brass-clad student.
"...Marionette?" Yohan echoed, tilting his head a little, not fully understanding the point behind 'marking himself'. "Is she really that much of a threat? I know what she did to Onyx was quite terrible, but, well, to put it simply, couldn't she have just got Onyx to..." he bit his lip a little; the thought was disturbing, but he managed to say it straight. "...just kill himself? If she meant true harm, she could've done much worse, so... perhaps she was just having a grand - if somewhat heartless - jest? In the real world, I think people know when things are being taken too far." He paused, before adding with a light chuckle, "Not to say I'd like the same treatment, mind you. But, that aside: hopefully you all won't actually encounter her in the 'real world' again, if you're that worried about her."

Alice mentioning the topic of food at a time that was around ten o'clock bought somewhat of a light-hearted tone back.
"Something to eat? Good grief..." Yohan chuckled softly to himself, voice quiet as it looked into the distance, "How are you able to manage? I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep food in me; I can still see colours dancing about in my eyes." Pausing for a while on that note, Yohan seemed to be in deep thought as the cool night air began to become more and more audible as the crowd dispersed, and things began to get packed up. "Oh! ...I'll catch up with you guys in a little while. There something I need to do."

With that, Yohan got the attention of one of the after-stage assistants, working hard to clean up the remains of the wild show. When he asked if he could know where the sleight-of-hand performers had gone off to, a raised eyebrow and a suspicious look was all he got in return at first. After a short while, however, with the assurance that he wasn't looking to court any female performers, the assistant seemed satisfied enough to point him in the direction of the tent, although it came with a warning that any 'funny business' wouldn't been taken lightly.

Peeking into the tent's entrance for a moment, it seemed most of the sleight-of-hand performers were packing up, grinning and celebrating after what had been a very successful show. It only took a while to locate the man that had given him the bronze ticket - and lucky for the plan of Yohan - he seemed to be facing away from the tent's entrance.

Waiting for the perfect moment when nobody was watching the crooked-smiled magician's back, the student soundlessly appeared behind him, quietly lobbing a little something over his shoulder. It wasn't much, but considering the student was on a serious budget, it was more than enough to show he cared. The small amount of folded cash housed a little, simple, scrawled note within:
' A little 'magic' of my own, in return for the true magic that bronze ticket provided. '

Instantly as he let go of the cash, Yohan disappeared from the inside of the tent as quickly as he'd arrived, hurriedly heading back to regroup with Alina & Co. A small smile on his face, he liked to have thought he'd created even a little confusion, and made it seem like cash appeared from nowhere.

Rejoining his trio with a brief smile, Yohan kept quiet to hear the other's thoughts. Even if the show had been brilliant (or at least he thought that), it was clear that there was still a lingering, bigger picture in the back of everyone's minds. He wanted to be reassuring; to share his opinion that as bad as those 'fake worlds' were, they could still get along with their daily lives. But he imagined such an opinion would be seen as 'deluded'.

'...'

Why did he feel - in the back of his mind - that nobody trusted him anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a matter of fact, Alina had never seen a magic show before.
It was indeed an entertaining spectacle, and she couldn't help but gasp and squeal with the rest of the crowd.
She had been wholeheartedly absorbed.

Right up until that final act.

Even now, she wasn't quite sure what it was about it that had put her off so, but she had gone far beyond suspicion. She was practically disturbed.
Seeing Yohan running back, she gave him a brief nod.
"You went where I think you did?" she asked. There was something dark in her tone, but it was far from hostility.
Was it concern? No, perhaps it was anxiety.

"You know what I'm going to say, right?"

Mellow thoughts were broken by Alina's usual, unreadable tone. Not sure what to think of it at first, other than the question was directed at him, Yohan's head was still buzzing from the fair as he fumbled over a response.

"Huh…?" Yohan glanced upwards, a slight part of his look reflecting that of a child who'd been caught doing something naughty. The part of his glance hurriedly faded, however, the student adjusting his cap as he cleared his throat. ...How did she know?

"I didn't go anywhere special," Yohan half-lied in defence. "I just had to… you know. Repay one favour with another. Getting us all in for free struck me as a pretty big thing, right?"

Though he was pretty confident he hadn't been spotted in his good-hearted antics, the way Alina was glaring at him was starting to make him doubtful. Another question came in hot on his position.

'Know what she was going to say…?'

"..."

Even though he'd known Alina for a few days, he was far from understanding her. She couldn't tell if she liked, hated, or was downright indifferent to him. So how was he supposed to know what she was going to say? His response to her second question couldn't be simpler.
"...No?"

Alina was this close to letting slip the slightest twitch. Had he not been paying attention to the only thing that she had been talking about this entire time? In the first place, if she had known where he was going, even if it were for the wrong reasons, wouldn't that be enough of a hint to tip him off?
Poker faces weren't easy anymore, but she was fine without. Even if she could not mask emotion with a lack, she could mask it with another.
A disappointed sigh clouded her otherwise aggravated, on-edge manner, and she shook her head, stepping a little closer and lowering her voice.
"That clearly wasn't normal. That last act was created somehow. It wasn't a natural phenomenon or sleight of hand. That was real genuine… uh, magic…"
Okay, so it wasn't as convincing phrased like that, and she knew it. But still, her point stood. It was clear and obvious, so just bringing it up should convince him fine, right…?

"...Oh." Yohan replied simply, still not really understanding how he was supposed to know she was going to say that, but continuing nonetheless, "...I was thinking that pretty much through half the show, actually. Glad we're on a similar mindset, because… the act of the witch, in particular, was almost too incredible to exist. What you're implying - another power - 'Create', we'll dub it for now, existing, is very possible."
Pausing, however, the student shrugged.

"The lack of golden eyes, or any mouth movements, however, gave me my doubts. Maybe a word was being used from behind cover, by a person we didn't even see?" an even bigger shrug, "Either way, they seemed to be using their power with a good intention," he turned to her with a flash of a smile, "Magic or no magic, don't worry about it. ...Um, well, not in the real world, at least."

He looked like he wanted to say a bit more, but one reason or another, Yohan cut off, looking at the floor with somewhat of a discomfort on his face.

Talking to Alina always felt… difficult. It wasn't out of dislike at all. He wouldn't have tried his best to save her from that 'bloodied spirit' in the second world if he disliked her. It was just out of a... failure, to understand what she was thinking, and further, what she thought of him.

The maskless masked girl pulled a face that didn't quite match a single emotion. Concern, anxiety, thoughtfulness, depression, the vaguest hints of a realisation.
"You're right," she admitted. "We can't say for sure why they're using it, especially in public, potentially in front of other ability-users, but so long as they aren't affecting anyone…"
It could have been a lot of things. Glorified training, maybe? Perhaps a side effect existed to the ability?
At this stage, it wasn't precisely worth mulling over with bigger problems like Marionette, but…
Agh, no matter how she sliced it, there was no way she could relax knowing something like that existed!
In the first place, wasn't that way more flashy than anyone else's abilities? Even Marionette's supposed mind control was nowhere near a scale like that, at least not what from she had heard from Onyx. There were too many factors, too many known and unknown unknowns for it to not bother her.
What bothered her more was how much it bothered her. She couldn't prioritise like this. Couldn't she take some time to sort out what was actually important?
No, that was right. Prioritise.
"Yohan. Can I… Can I ask you something?" she said, trying to keep a stony expression and failing just enough to notice a little nervous curiosity though a crack in the porcelain.

"...Of course." Yohan replied after a pause, his tone hushed, yet suddenly supportive and caring. Seeing someone like Alina look concerned was enough for him to know she was truly a little anxious about this… 'something'.

Slowing a little in his pace, Yohan waited for the scattered crowds of other students who'd watched the show to disperse before turning his head to hear a reply.
"You probably already noticed it, but…" she murmured, "Well, recently, you've been acting a little different, and I… Everyone. Just Onyx and I, really. We just thought something was wrong, but I wonder… Is this my fault? Are you alright?"

"..."

A long pause.

"...I… I'm not that different, am I?" Worried. Somewhat defensive. Those were but two of the many confused emotions displayed by Yohan, after he broke out in a somewhat nervous laugh. "I don't… feel like I've changed. All I'll admit is that I've been a bit more… forgetful… recently, but other than that, I'm absolutely normal…! R-right? I'm absolutely normal…"

Another long pause, and the emotions of the student were clearly starting to become somewhat… conflicted. He was almost positive he was acting almost how he usually would. But…

"Either way… please don't worry about me, Alina. Nothing's wrong, and… if there was something wrong, why would it be your fault? That… 'thing', was holding you against your will; I fought it to try and 'free you'. So I'm just glad you're still here and well." He chuckled a little, shakily yet warmly, tilting his cap over his eyes slightly. "...Just worry about yourself, Alina. You're… clearly a talented person, who deserves better than this. You all are. That's why I won't hold anything against people that happens in that... 'fake world'."

He looked down, with a slight sad-ish smile.
"I'm becoming desensitised to 'fake death', anyway."

Alina became another whirlwind of thoughts and feelings blurred on top of each other.
He didn't blame her, and even if she did, it made her feel just a little better.
But at the same time, there was something bitter surfacing.
Why?
It was the best answer she could have possibly hoped for. He was fine. He was not resentful.
And yet, somehow, at this perfect situation, she couldn't help but feel like it was some exotic cruelty exacted on her.
She shook it away as best she could.
To fake survival for the sake of living. It was childish and recursive reasoning, but on some level, she could admire it.
She shook her head this time.
"I'm not someone who can just take a narrow mindset like that so easily, but…"
But what?
She'd try? She knew full well that was a lie.
She would focus on everyone and everything until she understood. Such was her way, as it had always been.
It was not some kind of lofty purpose or unwilling bad habit that compelled her to do it. It was neither cynicism nor idealism that kept her watching.
It was just thirst. The most base human drive for knowledge. Perhaps for power, to a degree.
And yet somehow, seeing Yohan speak with such positivity for the first time since their very first tentative encounter mere days ago, she could not help but feel as if she had trampled him somehow.
"I'm not as simple as you are," she admitted. "And I mean that in the least demeaning way possible."
A complex mind, no matter how organised, cursed her to this ever-dissatisfied fate of focusing on others just enough to understand them, but never quite enough to care until it was much too late, it seemed.
To complicate meant to slow.

Complicate, she said to herself in a silent venomous tone. What a vindictive power I ended up with.

"I'm sorry," she said finally. "But more than that… Thank you."

Nothing but footsteps slowly paced; echoed, on paved ground for a short while.

"It's alright. I just… want everything to end okay for you. For everyone. And it sounds sappy, I know, but… it's the truth." Yohan replied quietly. "I don't take offence to the 'simple' thing, by the way. I know what you mean; I know that… thinking that everything's fine, might be naive. But whether there's light at the end of the tunnel or not… enjoying what 'daily life' I have left, and staying true to myself and what I really want, deep inside, even in those 'fake worlds'... that's just my simple outlook. I don't expect anyone to pay any attention to it."

"All I know - or hope - is that it might give me some sort of purpose."

Purpose.

Redemption.

"…"

For no reason at all, he almost felt like his eyes were welling up a little.

"...Ah…" he paused with a quiet chuckle, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. "Sorry… I… I think the carnival's still buzzing about in my head and causing me to spout things as usual." he tilted his head up, "...Should I expect to meet you and the others someplace, some time tomorrow? And… er… if we get 'pulled in' again and I don't see you… good luck."
She gave a small, quiet nod.
"Let's go for that bench again, shall we…?" she murmured, almost amused.
If he was meant to be the naive one here, he probably needed to step up his game.
Because from just listening to him talk, she had already decided to do everything she could to find a way to break that Bell.
"Don't die again without my permission, got it?" she frowned.

He smiled simply; a quiet nod.
"Bench it is. And… alright. I'll try not to. I'll run from trouble as fast as my 'Translocate' can ca--" He cut off with a slight yelp, realising he was standing in a place he wasn't before. Right. He couldn't just 'say that'. Good thing nobody but fellow 'gold-eyes' watched that blunder. Uh… right?

He at least thought he'd waited out most of the crowd earlier. Hopefully any confused onlookers would think he was part of the previous carnival doing magic shenanigans.

Returning to her side again with a slight, embarrassed blush, Yohan cleared his throat.
"Uh… a-as fast as my 'thing' can carry me," he corrected with a brief chuckle, nervously glancing around. "Double-offence-not-taken to the simple mind thing," he added with a joking laugh.
Alina looked like she really wanted to say something for a moment, but held off.
"Yeah," she smiled.

4StHGrz.jpg

Collab with: @ERode

"No, I do not," the boy said, genuinely apologetic, "Should I find a Disciplinary Committee member to help? Or do you have a friend who lives nearby, miss?"

"No! Not the committee!" The blonde girl recoiled in an instant, almost losing her balance once more. The vivid memories of a murderer clad in the committee's uniform still scathingly fresh in her mind. "Ah-..." However, this boy didn't know anything, she must've looked like an idiot, well, even more than she did. "Forgive me but it's fine… I just need some bandages and antiseptic." She sighed, "I'm afraid not, however, my dorm is just nearby so might as well go there. It's just that I can't walk like this."

"Just nearby?" He contemplated that for a few moments, before pushing up his glasses, a decision made. "Well, it can't be helped then."

Twisting the knob of his cane, the youth collapsed it into a baton instead, before clipping it onto the leather belt he wore. He kneeled on one leg, before offering his back to the slim girl in a man's coat. "If it's nearby, it should be fine. I'll carry you there, miss."

"...pardon?" Eva blinked her blue-golden eyes as mixed emotions washed over her. On one hand, she was grateful that someone was trying to help her in whatever ways he could, on the other hand, the exact method he chose didn't exactly... make much sense. It would if he was a little bit more grown but as things stood, Eva was a good head taller than the young prodigy. Unless he had some kind of unnatural strength, they would fall over together and just make things worse.

"Apologies but uhm… I have a better idea." She cleared her throat, "Can I borrow your cane instead? I'll use it as a walking stick."

"Your feet would still be injured though," he pointed out matter-of-factly, "And don't worry about me. I'll manage."

A reliable smile emerged, as he remained where he was.

Since the whole 'otherworld' madness started, nonsensical events just popped up one after another, this must be one of them. A young boy offering to carry a taller girl. "Uh…" Even if she didn't worry about him, she'd still be worried about herself. Like she said, if he fell over, Eva would be adding even more injuries to her already wounded exhausted body.

"Nnn… can I just lean on yo-..." Know what? To hell with it. "Okay… uh, so how do you want to do this?" She'd let him pick her up first, see if he indeed proved to have a hidden Herculean strength.

"Just get on my back, you know?" A slight blush emerged on his face as he began to describe it. "It's like a piggyback. Oh, but I'll have to place my hands on your...thighs or...so I'll apologize for that ahead of time."

"O-of course, sure…" A rosy tint would spawn on her cheeks if she wasn't already flushed from all the stress and pain. Let's just hope he wouldn't question on why she was wearing a nightie underneath an oversized brown coat made for men. "Here goes." The girl bit her lower lip to stave off the agony as she moved behind him, placed her hands on his shoulders before hunching forward to anchor herself there.

"Alright, here we....go!"

With a grunt, the youth stood up, surprisingly stable despite the weight of the older girl on him. His small, soft hands pressed against the thin fabric of Eva's nightgown, the warmth of flesh felt through that layer, but those hands did not stray any further than necessary.

"Which way?"

"Ha…" The blonde stifled a small yelp as her skin was pressed by his palm and fingers, the nature of the situation didn't warrant any risque thoughts, but it was still rather embarrassing to be seen like this. Most importantly, he turned out to be strong enough, what a small surprise. "It's just two blocks from here, straight ahead. The building to the right."

"Understood."

Setting a brisk pace, the youth carried Eva through the quiet streets, further and further away from the festivities of the Carnival Club. Within ten minutes, they were standing in front of the dormitory that she resided in, and gently, he lowered himself to the ground again, breathing thinly.

"You're…" he coughed, wiping the sweat off his brow, "...going to be fine from here?"

They arrived, they actually arrived without any incidents in the way. Wow, that was quite an achievement considering all the insanity so far. "Ha… yes, thank you." She climbed down from him, using her uninjured foot first. "I'm grateful… oh, I'm… I'm Evangeline by the way, may I know your name?" She fidgeted shyly, it was the least she could do. She would invite him in but… considering the state of her room, specifically the door… unlikely, not now at least.

"It's really nothing much," he said as he scratched the back of his head, looking down at his feet. "Anyone would have done it, really. Only makes sense, right?"

His own face was still flushed, unwilling to really look Eva in the eye after he realized she was just in her undergarments beneath that coat of hers. But still, he managed to raise his head up enough to offer his name.

"Daniel Steele, Erudite Scholar. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Evangeline, even if the circumstances are…"

He fiddled with his collapsible cane, extending it once more.

"...I should get going. Yup."

In a 'normal' social situation, Eva - and anyone else really - would think he was the usual pompous insufferable genius fellow from the way he introduced himself. Right now, she giggled in slight amusement instead, it'd be even more pronounced if only she could notice the blushes on his cheeks, at least she wasn't the only one embarrassed. "A pleasure to meet you, Daniel. Once again, thank you, I hope we can meet again in the short future. Farewell."

She hugged the coat closer as she shuffled her way into the dorm. It was so close yet so far away. This was going to be a long, long night.