Destiny's Path. (HollowEastword and DoughGuy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That same familiar warm feeling krept over her face she leaned on Marcus, she avoided eye contact with him and only focused her eyes on the camp sit. Not soon enough they stood in front of the white animal he lifted his head and made soft sound "We're back" Akane answered him. She went to sit down by his head to stroke his ears, she felt bad, the original idea was for Marcus to rest But sleep took her before she could protest.

Marcus draped a blanket over Akane as she fell asleep. He was very relieved that everything had been resolved and she'd be ok for the trip tomorrow. He was feeling ok himself now, the adrenaline seemed to have washed away his aches. And though he was a little tired with it gone form his system he had things to focus on and it kept him going.

Night passed slowly for him but there were no further surprises and soon the sun was rising. When it was halfway up he started rummaging through their packs, looking at their meagre supplies for breakfast.

Akane woke to a rustling next to her, she slowly opened her eyes and waited for them to adjust to the bright morning light, she pushed herself up into a half sitting half laying down position. She saw marcus look through their stuff "What are you looking for?" She asked softly rubbing her eyes.

When Akane woke up Marcus looked over to her. In answer to her question he gave a small chuckle and said, "Food. We're uh, a bit low." He managed to find a few strips of dried meat that probably wouldn't taste the best but they'd give them some energy. He split them into two piles and have one half to Akane. "All we've got I'm afraid." Thankfully at least the sandstorm had finally died down as the sun rose and they were free of the grit flying in their faces.

"Its better then nothing" Akane answered as she got up and ate her breakfast. She stood staring in the direction they were headed the day before. She saw that their ride had already gotten up and was munching on some dry looking desert plant "How long till were in the next village or city?" She asked while bending down to look at her leg. The bruise looked bigger and very dark she quickly pushed her pant leg back down before Marcus could see the bruise.

Chomping down his food Marcus was looking at the beast when Akane spoke. He was glad it had found something to eat, it had become more important than ever. "Hopefully by the end of the day." he said, glancing over at her and just missing her examination. "We should have a decent meal tonight with hat money we have left." He stood up and gave her a worried look, "How is your leg feeling?"

"We should find a way to get money" she spoke walking over to their mount "even if we go out to hunt something, its been ages since we were went on a quest" she said as she grabbed the reins of the animal and led him back to Marcus, jus then he asked what Akane was trying to avoid "My leg is fine Marcus all I needed was rest" she smiled and grabbed her sword "Shall we" she asked and got onto the beast's back.

"We definitely should." Marcus replied as Akane hopped aboard their ride. "Hopefully they'll need a couple of mercs in the settlement ahead. Maybe they'll have an ant problem." he chuckled. He then climbed onto the beast behind her, "Glad your leg is better." he said with a smile, "But I'm still a bit tired. Do you mind if I try to sleep a bit on the journey? You'll have to keep a lookout yourself."

a soft chuckle passed her lips because of his little joke "you should rest, I will be fine keeping the look out" she smiled at him "I will try an avoid any trouble if I need help I will wake you up" she looked back at him and nodded. "Come on then" she said to the animal and put him into a trot, it wasn't that hot yet so the beast won't be as tired.

• Thank You
Reactions: Doughguy
"Thanks Akane." Marcus said. He rested his head on one of her shoulders and wrapped his arms around her waist for support. Though the sun was up it was not uncomfortably hot yet and he hoped he'd be able to fall asleep quickly before it got so. Without the sandstorm getting grit everywhere it wasn't bad even with the animal's movement. Soon enough he had fallen asleep.

Akane smiled at her friend when she realized that he was asleep. There was no sandstorm and she could travel easily, she kept her eyes open for any movement it was easier now that sand wasn't all she could see.
Just before the sun fully set their destination came into view, it looked like a city it was far to large to be just a village or a town. She looked back at marcus and shook his hand gently to wake him "Hey, we arrived" she said softly she was to excited to be tired, she loved to see new things but was worried that Marcus might be sick. Him being so tired.

• Thank You
Reactions: Doughguy
Marcus's eyes fluttered open as Akane shook him awake gently. Raising his head off her shoulder he shook it from side to side then let out a large yawn. Rubbing his eyes clear of their own sand he looked forward and saw the city ahead. A bright smile instantly took over his face. "Perfect! The maps didn't lie. We should be able to get some work here. And some money." he glanced up at the sun and saw it was close to ducking below the horizon. "Think we can make it in before we stop for the night? Or should we camp here and head inside tomorrow?"

"Good morning..or goodnight" she smiled at him as he yawned. She made sure to keep an eye on him just in case he showed any signs of being sick "What are you crazy" she answered his question "And get attacked by more ants no way!" She exclaimed. She could feel leg hurt at the memory of the attack "We go in now" she said and put the beast into a run.
In no time they were in front of two large gates with guards in front "What do we say to them" she asked once she brought their ride to a halt.

"Oops, good uh, evening to you to." Marcus replied. "In we go!" he said as the beast started running.

As they arrived at the gate he looked at the guards. They were well equipped but not overly so. Perhaps a little numerous considering he saw a few archers in the windows above the gates. It looked exactly like a city worried about monster attacks, perfect. "I'll get it." he said to Akane and slid off the beast, walking up to the guards. One of them came forward, his eyes glancing at their ride occasionally in a combination of suspicion and jealousy.

"State your business." he demanded.

"We're traveling mercenaries looking for new work." Marcus replied, putting on his professional tone. And then he took a guess based on everything they'd seen, "We heard there's a problem with a nest of mutated ants here."

One of the guard's eyebrows rose but he nodded and signaled the gates to open. Marcus swung around and mounted the beast again, "We're in." he said happily.

Akane remained on the back of the beast and watched on as Marcus did what he was good at, she couldn't help the chuckle that escaped her lips when she heard him speak in that tone of his, she found it silly mostly because she knew who he really was.

"Good job as ever" she smiled to him as he climed back on behind her, they entered the gates and to Akane's surprise the place wasn't as broken down as the other villages. It still had the same city smell and buzz but it was cleaner. "It doesn't look like a place with a monster problem" she said looking around her "Where do we go now" she asked marcus looking ahead at all the buildings.

"It does look like its recovering pretty well." Marcus said looking around and smiling at Akane. "It's got some nice walls though so that probably helps keep everything orderly." He looked around at the buildings spotting where the crowds were converging. He could see a few spots and pointed them out to Akane. "Those looks like bars or inns. We should try to find one with a stable or ... lots of spare space."

"Yeah, big guy has to rest* she smiled and patted the animal getting a grunt in return. She jumped down and grabbed his reins deciding it would be best to lead him by hand. "Do you think they will ask for money if we want a stable" she looked worried " I don't think we have enough" she looked to marcus.

Marcus also slid down off the beast's back and started walking next to Akane. "They probably will. We might have to settle for a pretty cheap place until we get some more money. I doubt they'll take an IOU for people they just met." They had no idea what the prices in the city were like. Looking around he spotted one of the inns that looked more run down than the others and had a smaller crowd, "Let's try there." he said, pointing.

"No I don't think an IOU at any time is good" she said walking further besides we don't really need a place to stay we can stay with him she smiled while petting the beast. After pushing thru people that looked at them as if they had two head they finally reached the inn "Looks pretty dead" she said, there wasn't even a sign with the name on it "Should we both go in or call them out to see that we don't ride a normal horse?" She asked smiling a bit at Marcus.

Marcus glanced up at the beast then looked to the door of the inn, "We should be fine just going in. We'll tie up our ride out here and go speak to the innkeeper." After they tied up the beast on a nearby pole Marcus led the way into the inn. It was quiet inside indeed, there were very few people in there. And about half of them were already passed out at tables from a day of drinking. Walking up to the counter Marcus laid their money on the counter. "We need a stable for an animal as large as two horses and two rooms." he said very confidently.

The innkeeper, a short, fat man with balding black hair picked up the metal strands and counted then. "Twice as big as a horse?" he said in a gravelly voice, "This'll get you the stable and one room. Or two rooms and now stable."

Marcus glanced at Akane, letting her decide what they chose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.