Destiny's Path. (HollowEastword and DoughGuy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akane unexpectedly started laughing, no matter how hard they tried to avoid these things they always ran into them. She crawled over to Marcus and sat downs next to him leaning her head in his shoulder "unexpected and strange it was" she said smiling "Who else can say that they fought a mutated ant" she smiled at him.

"Hopefully not many people." Marcus replied, a smile still on his face. He suddenly looked at Akane, a bit of worry on his face, "It didn't hurt you did it? I haven't even checked where it hit you." He knew the ant had hit her on the leg and she'd run away fine but adrenaline could make the body ignore a lot of things. He looked to her leg but it was hard to see if there was a wound in the dark.

Akane looked down at her leg, it hurt, it hurt a lot but wouldn't want to worry Marcus at all. She reached down to touch her leg, she winced but tried to cover it up with a small smile at Marcus " Its fine really, we've been through worse" she smiled at him.

Just as Akane could tell when he was more tired than he was letting on, Marcus could tell that she was in more pain than she wanted him to know. He didn't want to embarrass her though. Instead he smiled back and said, "That's good. But let me teak a look at it anyway, ok?" Gently lifting her head from his shoulder he shuffled along the ground until he was next to her leg. Carefully lifting it a little he rolled up her pant's leg so he could look at where the ant had hit her. Seeing the deep purple bruise it had left he started to softly massage the area around the bruise. "Hopefully this will help." he said.

Akane let a sharp noise pass her lips when Marcus touched the wound "ah!" She let out and tried to pull her leg away but stopped pulling as the massaging sent a sensation through her leg. It still hurts but made it feel better.

Marcus's hands almost leapt off Akane's leg when she cried out in pain, but she quickly relaxed and so did he. He looked up at her with an apologetic face, "Sorry." he said, hoping he wouldn't hurt her again before turning his attention back to her leg. After a few more seconds of massaging he looked back up at her, "So uhhh, any idea where we are?"

"Its okay" she said and bit down on her lip when he started to massage again. She let her drop backwards as she tried to relax but lifted it again when marcus spoke "I don't know" she said looking around her, it was still very dark "Do you think we'll find our way back" she asked their beastly friend and some of her belongings were still back there.

Marcus slowed his massage and became a lot more gentle, worried he would accidentally touch the bruise. He wished he had something cold to put on her leg to stop any swelling but cold things were hard to come by in the desert. "I hope we can find it. But as long as this sandstorm keeps up I don't think we'll have any chance of finding them." He glanced around at the desert hoping to catch a glimpse but couldn't see anything. Not even any more lights fortunately. "What do you think, should we wait till it clears or try searching now?"

Akane knew there was a big chance of never finding the things. She looked around her but could see nothing but sand everywhere "I think we should start looking" she said, she knew her leg would be a problem but if they wait till morning something bad might happen.

"Alright then." Marcus replied. Stopping the massage he carefully rolled Akane's pants leg back down and stood up. Brushing some of the sand off his clothes in a futile gesture he reached out a hand to help her up with a smile on his face. "Are you going to be ok to walk?" he asked her, ready to lend a shoulder if her leg was too painful.

Akane felt herself blush a bit at Marcus concern, she put her hand in his and gave him a small but reassuring smile "I will be ok" she said softly "We can always stop if it gets to hard to move" she said.

Fortunately for Akane in the dark and sandstorm weather Marcus couldn't see the blush on her cheeks. But he could see her smile and was glad for the look of it. He slowly pulled her up, giving her plenty of time to adjust if it started hurting. When she was on her feet he looked at the boulder nearby and his position to it. "I think we came from that way." he said, remembering the boulder had been behind and to his right when he sat down, "If we find the corpse we might be able to backtrack from there."

Akane steadied herself, she could feel her leg protesting against the movement but pushed it down. She followed Marcus line of vision to the boulder, nothing looked familiar to her it was far to dark "we should go look for the monster" she said "I don't know how far we ran, or in which direction we ran" she said softly looking around her "you don't think the dead body might attract predators do you?" She asked unsure.

"I had thought of that." he replied, "But we'll definitely avoid them if there are some. They should be happy with the body and ignore us." He started walking back in the direction he thought they had come from, checking over his shoulder to make sure Akane was with him and slowing his pace so he was walking next to her. He kept an eye on her in case she needed help, but also drew his sword again with his right hand. "If something attacks us I'll deal with it." he said in a promise.

"It should distract them long enough for us to get away" she added, she felt a chill run up her back at the thought of more monster. She tried to walk a bit faster but the sharp pain in her leg stopped that from happening, she was ever grateful when marcus slowed his pace, she didn't want to be a burden for him especially not in a place like this. "How far from our things do you think the body is?" She asked and looked at Marcus when he drew his sword she wanted to tell him that protecting her wasn't necessary but another sharp pain made her realize that it was.

"It wasn't far from our stuff. We only crept a short distance to it. If we're lucky we might spot it before we see the body." He wasn't too hopeful about that though. As they were walking he noticed Akane wincing occasionally and knew they had to find their stuff. If they found the beast she could ride it all the way to the next settlement and she could rest her leg. When he wasn't making sure she was ok he was constantly scanning the horizon, looking for any shadows at all that might give a clue.

Akane tried to help by scanning for any threats, even if it was hard with her leg wanting to give in, "There" Akane said pointing to what looked like the dead mutant ant "I don't see any other animals " she said in a bit of surprise.

"Good catch." Marcus said to Akane when she pointed to the corpse, smiling at her, "We should be close then. Let's get to it and look around." He led her up to where the shadow was. It was indeed the body of the ant. He remembered that it had been facing them when they had come form the camp and he turned in that direction. He let out a sigh of relief as he spotted another large shape a short distance away. "Looks like we got lucky." he said as he pointed to their ride.

"Lucky indeed" she breathed in relief, the sight of the still resting beast made feel even more tired and he body even harder to move. She gave the dead beast one last look and let the shiver run up her spine again, before grabbing Marcus hand and starting to walk back to their things.

Marcus held onto Akane's hand as they walked towards their ride. He could tell she was very tired by now. Even though it was only a short distance away he put his sword away and took his hand out of hers, but then wrapped his arm around her waist so she could lean against him as he supported her. Soon enough they were standing back at their original camp. "Rest now." he said, "I'll keep watch."

Status
Not open for further replies.