Demons Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kei loved being active and reading, but sometimes his brain needed a break from going a mile a minute. Being a Hunter meant he wasn't as calm as he appeared on the outside. That calm came from years of practice and control. Hunters were bundles of energy and magic, and needed far less sleep than humans, so they were always on, on, on. Sometimes Kei just really needed something that would let him turn his brain off. Not that was didn't watch stimulating movies, too, but at the moment he wanted something fairly fun and mindless. Watching Peter's reactions was just a part of that.

Plopping down on the couch, Kei turned on the TV and called out a few titles to Peter, seeing what he'd like to watch. They all had something to do with demons or hauntings and exorcisms. Any of them would do, really.

"Oh, and I think there's some microwave popcorn. I'll make some once you're out of the kitchen." The space was far too tiny for more than one person. Kei theorized that this old house had been built for skinny munchkins.

Apparently they settled for a movie called 'salvation'. It had to do with an exorcist being possessed and spreading the possession while building an army of possessed people. Fun stuff.

Peter finished off the dishes and stacked them to dry, rubbing his arms down with a towel to dry them as well. "You want popcorn of kettle corn?" he offered, having bought some of his own as well. If Kei had cooked dinner, he could handle popping the popcorn.

After filling a bowl full of the burst kernels Peter claimed the opposite sofa-- the love seat-- and sprawled across it, letting his long legs hand over one arm, while his back and neck rested on the other. He reached over, placing the popcorn bowl onto the small coffee table with little effort. He was all limbs-- his current position showing that off more than just standing had.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Kettle cork sounds good- thanks." Kei had no problem with Peter taking over the kitchen if he wanted. It was nice to have a roommate who was so easy-going, and didn't bitch and moan about doing the smallest task. Kei had roommates who had been lazy, alcoholic, drug-addicted, sex-addicted, party-addicted, health-food obsessed or just plain nuts. He supposed it was the college atmosphere that brought out the crazies. After all of that, Peter was a breath of fresh air.

Kei was a little more body than limbs when compared to the blond, but somehow the two managed to fit themselves into the tiny room, on the smaller than average seats. The lumpy old couch was actually quite comfortable. Kei lounged in a similar manner to his roommate, enjoying his little space, and turned the movie on while grabbing a fistful of kettle corn. As casual as he looked, however, the Hunter was watching Peter very carefully. Just a bit of tension in those long limbs, the slightest flinch of his face at odd times, anything to let Kei know more about him without asking.

As the movie progressed, Peter seemed rather bored. He chuckled now and again, when the possessed woman went to grab a cross and could cry out in pain. The Hollywood theatrics didn't seem to impress him as another mans hand caught on fire when he was splashed with holy water.

"You know..." he commented about forty minutes into the movie, "The main exorcist in this movie must not have been good at his job to get possessed..." he mused, glancing over to Kei. "Hi-- I'm gonna kick you out of this guys mind so you can live in mine." he imitated the failing priest with amusement. "I think he should have killed the demon and been done with hit-- rather than just freeing it."

Kei had to laugh at Peter's accurate assessment, but then, he never watched these things for the 'reality' anyway. It was rather like watching a soap opera without the sound- pure, brainless amusement.

"Yeah- it's like priest-surfing, but with lots of dramatic music. I get the impression that movie makers think demons can't ever be destroyed. Of course, then they could never make any sequels, or use up their special effects budget."

His eyes went from Peter to the screen and back, amused but still sharp. "I always thought the whole point of exorcists were to send demons back to Hell, but I'm not a priest, so what would I know?" He took another handful of kettle corn, fingers scraping the bottom of the bowl.

"I think in actual practice that's what they're supposed to do. I think in reality you have priests and clergy who think they know what they are doing and just botch it up." he mused. "I remember hearing about a protestant pastor who attempted an exorcism and ended up being brought to the psychiatric ward in my home town."

Peter had his eyes back on the television, shuddering slightly when a woman arched her back and walked on her hands and feet like a spider. "I also highly doubt any real demons, if such a thing exists, would be making such grandiose displays. I think they would be more subtle about possession. Otherwise it would be like Daffy duck holding a big 'shoot me' sign in the air."

A pastor in his hometown and a failed exorcism? It may have been nothing more than coincidence, but Kai wasn't so sure… Maybe there was more to the story.

"You had possessions in your home town? For real?" he asked, keeping his tone light and half-teasing. "But they were orderly possessions, right? No one walking on the ceiling or anything? Hollywood has been lying to us this whole time!"

Kai was silently glad Peter didn't fall for the usual Hollywood version of demonic behavior, which bordered on the histrionic at best, and was just plain wrong and misleading at worst. Most of the movie possessions were like what they saw in the movie, though Kai had to admit he'd seen some pretty weird stuff in his time. What had Peter seen? In spite of how he talked, with true amusement at the stupidity of the movie, Kai was hoping Peter would elaborate.

Peter laughed awkwardly, clearly either embarrassed to have admitted he believed in possessions, or hesitant to go on. "It was a while back. Small town-- people overreact. I think the pastor just went nuts is all. It's convenient in the South to blame it on demons when people are so ready to believe it."

He looked back to the television, running a hand through his hair and pushing his bangs aside.

The blond didn't want to talk about it. The moment you start to talk about the supernatural as if it were natural, people labeled you a loon. He had no desire to be thought of as such. What was more-- it brought up bad memories. Bad enough to drive him to college in another state and his brother overseas.

Poor Peter was far too open for his own good. Kei read between the lines fairly easily, and knew he'd hit a very deep nerve. The problem now was how to get Peter to tell him more without having the other close up on him. People tended to do that, and it was something that irritated Kei no end. How was he supposed to do his job when he had to play the diplomat? And an ignorant diplomat, to boot.

"I didn't know Floridians were that into demons and stuff." Kei said in a neutral tone. "I guess people will believe anything." The Hunter noticed how his companion kept smoothing back his bangs. It seemed to him to be a significant tic, given Peter's suspected abilities, and the weird scars on his hairline. Maybe Peter had seen this pastor fall prey to a demon?

It wasn't so impossible for the pastor to have lost his mind as well, though a demon would have had to wait until after the insanity to jump in. Human beings were innately gifted with the power to repel demons, otherwise every last one of them would be possessed all the time. Demons were, in many ways, far more powerful than the humans they sought to hurt or control. What so many humans forgot was that possession didn't just happen because a demon decided it wanted to jump into a body. Humans had to first weaken or relinquish that barrier which separated them from demonic power. The insane made good targets because they could be easily persuaded to do things that would invite demons in.

That was the point, though- powerful as they were, demons could never go where they weren't first invited. So many humans remained oblivious to the fact that they had their own brand of individual power against demons. Exorcists possessed an outward extension of that power, not just to personally keep themselves clean, but to protect and defend others. They were needed, as were Hunters. Far too many humans gave up their inherent protection, not understanding the forces they were playing with.

Even those who made the right choices and kept themselves free of possession still suffered the effects of demonic power, especially when they lived in hot-spots of activity. They weren't free from the consequences of others' choices, even if those consequences were more emotional than physical. The students here may not have known why there seemed to be an increasingly bad atmosphere in the neighborhood, and the school, but Kei and his superiors had their suspicions. Get enough people to unwittingly, or even willingly, let the demons in and everyone suffered.

This was one of the reasons Kei had been sent, and now he was wondering if it was truly coincidence that Peter had come here, and ended up as his roommate. Humans tended to call it destiny or happenstance, but in Kei's experience, the word 'balance' seemed more appropriate.

(Question- when should Kei's true nature be revealed to Peter? I was kind of thinking it would happen in a way where Kei didn't have a choice, like having to fight off demons with Peter being right there.)

[You can let it be known whenever you think he's ready or needs to. ^_^]

"People believe in weird things-- but I wouldn't say it's all false. Some stuff just can't be explained yet by science. There's a big native population in Florida, so there's a lot of old superstition and practices that involve spirits-- not necessarily demons." Peter pointed out. "I think it's like leaving out a plate of cat food. Yeah, you might get cats-- but you might also get a few fox or racoons in the process. But, really, who knows?" he glanced over, away from the television as the priests head was ripped off.

(Maybe there's a demon attack during class or something? Or maybe while Kei is making his rounds? And it targets peter and Kei has to rescue him? Peter's powers could manifest then, too. Whatever you think!)

The Choctaw, the Creek, Miccosukee, Apalachee… Yes, he knew the native populations; more willing to believe in other things being out there, but sometimes prone to superstitious hysteria. Then again, even hardened atheists weren't above that sort of thing when faced to face with a demon. Kei might find it somewhat amusing, but really, he supposed he couldn't blame them, either. Anyway, he found most things about humans amusing.

"The world is more populated than people think." he said quietly, eyes flickering to Peter, then back to the screen. Kei didn't so much as flinch at the decapitation. It was so much different in real life- more messy and visceral, without so much screaming. Usually a gurgle or two, that was it. Clearly he'd become desensitized.

"Someday it might be interesting to check out a haunted house…you know, see if it's real or not. I'm definitely open to the possibility." Set the hook, gauge Peter's reaction… Kei had been to more "haunted houses" than he cared to remember, most of them being completely empty of anything but normal drafts and uneven doors. But he was going to play naive college kid for the moment to see what Peter would do about it.

The muscle in Peters jaw tensed and released. "Just be careful. You might invite something home." He said simply, watching as the movie ended with a child laughing manically. The credits began to roll to a slow high pitched piano solo.

"I think that's it for me." The blond announced standing up. "I've got a morning class I need to be at. If you want a ride, I'm leaving around Seven-thirty." he offered, stretching to loosen up his muscles.

Kei's eyes went to Peter, and though he didn't say anything for a moment, something close to a genuine smile played about his lips. The movie was forgotten, but Peter's warning, though not needed in reality, raised Kei's estimation of him.

"Sure, if you're willing." the Hunter said, standing likewise and turning the TV off. He cracked his neck loudly- an old habit- then heading for the bedroom. He was going to go building-hopping, or what humans liked to call 'parkour', though their version was very watered down.

As he reached the small hallway, the Hunter stopped and turned to look at Peter, that same smile on his face.

"You're right about inviting things home, by the way. Keep defying 'stupid college kid' stereotypes and you should be just fine." Having said this, and in a manner which suddenly made him sound older than he looked, Kei went to put on his running clothes.

Peter blinked back at his room mate, a little surprised by the seemingly random statement. "Uh, yeah, okay." He stayed in the hallway for a moment after Kei retreated into the room, pondering the odd comment before following him in. He went straight to his bed, sitting down to do what had become somewhat of an evening routine, silently praying the rosary before getting ready for bed. He didn't bother to question Kei about heading out so late for a run, instead opting to turn in early himself.

That night, he had weird dreams. It felt like an odd mix of uncomfortable memories and imagination swirling together, creating scenes and fleeting emotions on every range of the spectrum.

He gasped, around 4 in the morning, sitting upright with a start. He was covered in a cold sweat, and it felt like his heart was trying to crawl it's way out of his throat. His hands shook slightly as he tossed his covers aside, anxious energy kicking in as he grabbed his rosary, wrapping it around his hand, before leaving the bedroom in favor of the sofa-- as though leaving the room would leave behind the nightmares.

Kai didn't need to sleep more than a few hours a week, but he still had to maintain some outward appearance of normal sleeping patterns. Bothersome questions tended to come his way, otherwise. Usually, he just lay in bed reading, or going through old case files, that kind of thing. Nighttime when he had to pretend he was asleep was probably the loneliest time for him, but he'd gotten used to it. Anyway, the supernatural world was more alive, and as a Hunter, he could tap into the ether and feel things that were going on close-by.

For the last hour or so, he'd been feeling an entity inch closer, though he couldn't be certain what it was doing. Kai listened and felt with the innermost part of himself, until he was fairly certain of what was coming. Something strong, making a sweep of the area with unseen tendrils of power. Whatever it was, its 'search' for victims was causing Peter's dreams to turn sour. Kai could hear his roommate's breath quicken and become uneven. In the dark, which was no barrier to the Hunter's eyes, he could see the human's face pinch, his brow furrowing deeply. The rest of the humans in the neighborhood were probably going through similar sleep patterns, unless their homes had other protections. Kai had not dared to call attention to himself by using full barriers, which left Peter open at night. He didn't like that.

Slipping noiselessly out of bed, Kai moved across the tiny room to Peter's bedside and looked down at him for a moment. Kai's Hunter instincts were on full alert, still 'sensing' what was out there. In his human form it would pass over him as nothing more, but it might come after Peter, whose lingering trace of power, or something like, would draw it like a moth to light. Kai had to do a little something extra to shield his roommate, and hope the thing would pass on.

Closing his eyes, Kai reached down and just touched Peter's forehead with the tips of his fingers, afraid to use a firmer kind of contact in case the other young man woke. Contact was needed, but this should be enough for now. Kai focused within himself, murmuring words as a faint blue light emanated from his fingertips. The thing was getting closer, but as he finished his shielding spell, the Hunter was relieved to feel it move on, passing over their home after only a little pause.

He didn't have long to feel relieved as Peter suddenly woke. Kai had to drop to the floor quickly, skittering into the shadows between his bed and the nightstand. He only came out when Peter had stumbled out of the bedroom and into the living-room, apparently without seeing that his roommate was up. Then again, Kai was very good at being almost invisible, especially in the dark.

As sounds of squeaking springs and rustling from the living-room met his ears, Kai let out a breath and slipped back onto his bed, not bothering with the pretense of sleep when he was alone. His guard was still up anyway after all that. Kai grabbed his phone off the nightstand and contacted Iris, his face lit by the blue glow from the screen, making him look like some kind of grim spectre. The news he had to relate wasn't the kind to make anyone smile- they had a wraith on their hands.

"Evening, Kei." Iris answered, the red heads voice sounding as calm as ever. "It's late for you to be calling. What's happened?" She asked, cutting right to the chase.

"Here you go, Ms. De'Leathe." Someone else in the background said. It sounded busy where ever she was. Beyond the second voice a distinct tinny third voice announced an arrival landing. An Airport then. She was on the move.

"Thank you." She interrupted her conversation with Kei for passive formalities before her attention returned to the call. "Sorry, just grabbing a cup of coffee before the flight. Now, then, what did you call for?" She asked, this time sounding a little sheepish for interrupting her charge so rudely.

---

In the other room, Peter lay on the sofa, staring up at the ceiling. Sleep suddenly felt just so much less appealing of an idea after the nightmare. Nervous energy sat in his chest, making it imposable for him to sleep, even if he dared brave it again. He glanced at the inside of his wrist at his watch. 4:10 AM. It was an early start to a day, but he figured it was better than laying still and letting that adrenaline go to waist. He slept in his shorts, so there was no need to go back to his room...

The blond stood up, keeping his rosary wrapped around his wrist as he moved to the door, pulling his hoodie off the coat rack and over his head. He stuffed her feet into his shoes and picked up his skate board, not wanting to make noise and possibly wake his room mate up. Some fresh air would do him good, he decided, opening the door and disappearing out into the night.

---

A shielding spell was useful in the way Kei has used it-- though it did little to protect or cover someone when they went and walked right into the territory of the beast they were supposed to hide from. Peter had done just that, without realizing.

As the door to the house opened and he stepped outside, it was like a flood light had been turned on, aimed into the sky. Someone had opened the refrigerator door to a feast for the supernatural.

But it could have been a trap. If it weren't for that hesitation, the blond would have been as good as dead. Luckily for him, he carried enough power with that rosary of his to cause pause in the predators of the night. It was enticing-- and it seemed suspicious. It would have to investigate before deciding to engage.

(Is Pete still just standing on the porch, or has he gone out already?)

Kei placed a weak sound barrier around himself, though it was plenty strong enough to guard against Peter hearing anything. Leaning against the pillows on his bed, he balanced his phone on one knee and let out a harsh breath.

"There's a wraith in town." Kei's voice was grim, and well might it be. The presence of a wraith anywhere was enough cause for alarm to even the most skilled Hunters. Wraiths could only exist in places where negative energy was already strong and plentiful. The vampiric creatures feasted on the residue of demonic presence within a population, almost like a fecal-eating scavenger in the animal world. The stronger the demonic presence, the stronger the wraith. Its usually wispy, invisible form would solidify into a black mass, and the wraith would become strong enough to roam over large areas, visible even to humans. As demons grew stronger, and created more negative energy among the human population, wraiths would absorb more and more of it, encouraging more negativity to take the place of what was there before. The humans who unwittingly fed it would become weaker, physically and emotionally drained, and less able to create the positive energy that would keep a wraith away. Eventually, it could become powerful enough to destroy even large cities if left unchecked.

To have one already so strong in the small college town meant that the demons in the place were already very powerful. The fact that they had enough power to mask it was of deep concern to Kei, and would be to Iris and the others back at HQ. That was why he'd made the emergency call to his Handler.

Briefly, Kei told her what had happened, and what he'd felt. As innocuous as the incident sounded, to an experienced Hunter it was anything but. He told her, also, of the wraith's effect on Peter, and the shielding spell he'd had to use on his roommate. They might need something more permanent for Peter, given his possible background, but for now it would do.

Kei was on the point of asking for further advice when he heard Peter moving around again. To his horror, the quiet noise of the front door opening, then softly shutting again, broke the silence. Kei's sound shield was one-way, and that proved all to the good here. Otherwise, he would not have known what Peter was doing. Vainly, he hoped that his roommate had just stepped out onto the porch, but the next moment he could hear skateboard wheels skittering along the sidewalk outside.

Cursing violently under his breath, the Hunter waved a hand, disarming the sound barrier and leaping out of bed. "I'll have to call you back. Peter's just gone AWOL." he growled into the phone, hanging up on Iris abruptly. No time for polite good-byes. then again, given what they'd just discussed she would likely understand. Kei didn't even bother with shoes or a jacket, not actually needing them, and leaped out of bed in only his boxers and a tanktop. He gave his phone three taps and it vanished into a holding space for later as he rushed out into the hallway and toward the door. All the while, Kei snarled under his breath about idiot roommates. And this one had seemed so level-headed, too…

Throwing the door open, Kei was suddenly confronted by an almost sheer wall of night which, in his human form, was nearly blinding. Peter's cross acted as a deterrent to such darkness for the blond, but in Kei's case he had to focus to see anything past a few feet. Even sound couldn't be trusted, so even though he heard what he thought was a skateboard moving off to his right, he didn't run after it at once. Instead, the Hunter shed enough of his human disguise to use his speed and strength, and his senses. To do more would mean revealing himself, and even this much was risky. But Kei needed that edge if he was going to save his foolish roommate.

Sprinting out onto the wet grass, making sure the door was latched behind him, Kei turned and leaped onto the roof in one bound, using it as a vantage point from which to spot Peter. Even with his vision only enhanced by half, he found his roommate at once. Peter stood out like a flickering candle in a dark room. Kei was only half-surprised to find that his roommate's soul shone more brightly than the average human. Had he not had some idea that Peter was more than ordinary, it would have been cause enough to warn Iris. Now, he was more certain than ever that his roommate was more than he seemed.

However, that would not matter in the slightest if he didn't go and save Peter from his own unwitting stupidity at once. Kei could see the darkness hanging back from the blond, and even if he could only guess why this was, the Hunter knew it wouldn't last for long. The whole atmosphere was heavy with the wraith's shadowy vapor, and this town had very little light with which to fight back. The Hunter would have to do for now.

With a noiseless bound, he propelled himself into the air, and landed on the neighbor's roof with ease. Kei barely touched the tiles before he was off again, his gaze locked on Peter, and the black mass that tailed him. It was gaining speed, but still hanging back, still unsure of this inexplicably powerful human.

Kei decided he would try and convince Peter to turn back, rather than confront the wraith head-on. He had power enough himself, but giving it away so soon could blow the whole operation. He would if he had to save Peter's life, but for now he was taking a calculated risk. keeping an eye on his roommate and the mass, Kei leaped quickly from roof to roof, even using tree branches and cars to make his way ahead of Peter's current path. Sliding through an alley, he went out to the curb and sat down, returning to his full human form just as Peter rounded the corner. Behind him, still visible to the Hunter, even in his current state, was the massive wraith. It was gliding along noiselessly behind the blond, its outline hazy and shifting. Kei felt no personal fear of it, but for the sake of his roommate, he was ready to leap in and blast it literally back to Hell. Every muscle was prepared to act, though as Peter got closer to him, the Hunter looked utterly calm.

"A bit dark for skateboarding, don't you think?" he said, his voice carrying in the stillness of the dark night. There wasn't even a breeze blowing, and the crescent moon did little to illuminate the dark streets. Kei's eyes glittered in the darkness, fixing on Peter. Did he truly not feel the wraith behind him, or notice the way the street lamps flickered out at its approach?

Peter pushed himself forward on the skate board, feeling more like he was running from something than burning uneasy energy. From the moment the wheels touched the asphalt, a headache started to creep up from the base of his skull. The shoddy old town lights seemed to flicker with effort, the electricity running through the wires hardly enough to keep the dim bulbs lit. Most people, he realized, feared the dark when they were alone like this. They didn't like being alone, and vulnerable when it was hard to see. It was something else entirely to be fearful of what was in the dark though.

Rather than putting the unease to rest, it only seemed to build as he moved, like something were stalking him. "This is what you get for watching horror movies before bed." he muttered, turning a corner-- only to fumble and nearly eat the curb. Needless to say, he hadn't expected to see anyone else out at this house, much less Kei standing there. He swore as he fumbled, half stepping off the board as he came to a sudden halt.

"A bit dark for skateboarding, don't you think?"

Peter frowned and kicked his skate board up, eying his room mate incredulously for a moment. He could have sworn the shorter man had gotten home earlier in the evening. Seeing him out at this hour for some reason or another raised all sorts of alarm bells to the blond. They didn't do any good for his already throbbing skull. For a moment, the blond didn't look like the carefree college student Kei had seen during the week. He looked more like someone who had just been ruffled form a fight-- indignant at being questioned by the police. His eyes were guarded and sharper than usual. Evidently, he felt something-- he just must not have known what.

"Bit late to be out in your boxers." The blond countered. The hood of his dark jacket was up, though as he pulled it down, his blond hair seemed to catch the dim flickering light of the street lamp a little too well. "What're you doing out here?" He asked, looking around the abandoned street.

As he spoke, the wraith shifted around them, like a wolf circling it's prey. It lingered for a moment behind Kei before an eerie breeze caught the dark mans hair. It was a laugh-- eerie and low, hardly audible. The saint was blind, it seemed...

Status
Not open for further replies.