Demographics 09: Roleplay Longevity!

How long--on average--would you estimate the role plays you joined in 2015-2016, survive?

• Less than one month.

• 1-3 Months.

• 4-6 Months.

• 7-9 Months.

• 10-12 Months.

• 12+ Months. (A Year or longer.)

• I didn't join or create any role plays in this time period.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
Yep, I fucked up and made the poll multiple choice instead of single choice. Absent mindedly set it to multiple choice like the previous two polls. Herp derp.

Please vote for one poll option only!

Thank you.

@Staff: Keep in mind that (with Diana's permission and Astaroth overlooking it) I'm posting threads in GC first, leaving them there for a week, and then moving them to RP Help & Discussion after! This way, my demographics threads can have the widest breadth of community input without asking for unfair administration favouratism. Thanks. :ferret:

Demographics threads are, essentially, an attempt to record the community's thoughts and feelings on RP-related subject matter via a series of votes. Iwaku's tastes, habits, et cetera. If you want further information on prior demographics threads, you can find the demographics hub thread here. (There are eight other Demographics Polls to check stats on & vote in so far!)

Demo threads are not an appropriate place for hardcore multipage debates. You can ask questions about each other's positions, but keep them professional in tone. Otherwise, the spirit of the demographics threads will be lost. They're meant to sample the community and put it into an easily digestible form of numbers that anybody can look at later when creating their own RP threads or when curious about Iwaku's general demographics. If you're really interested in discussing the subject matter, create your own discussion thread. I would be delighted if demographics threads started to spawn further topics of interest by the community itself.

• A. Longevity: 3 (Winner--Most votes!)
  • B. Pace: 0
  • C. Romance: 2
  • D. Politics: 1
  • E. Mechanics: 0
  • F. Story Themes: 2
  • G. Power Levels: 2

"BROVO YOU WERE LATE AGAIN GERD DERMIT!" Yeah, I know. I fell off my horse for about a week and fell behind in everything in order to fight with government bureaucracy over a security certification course and deal with family affairs. First thing I addressed when I came back was my role plays, now I'm hopping back up on the horse that bucked me and putting demographics back on its regularly scheduled feet. It will become a weekly affair starting Sunday. Consider this and the next thread the last of the four day rush, seeing as how I'll have my ten thread objective completed at that point. :ferret:

Announcement: I do have one helper lined up already (thanks @Hana ) but I will be looking for 1-2 more people over the next couple of weeks. If you're interested in statistics and helping me run the project as it grows, please let me know with a private message! Thank you.

Question: How long--on average--would you estimate the role plays you joined in 2015-2016, survive? (DO NOT LIE TO YOURSELF! The poll will only be as accurate as the responders allow it to be.)
Clarity: On average, how long do you think the role plays you created and joined survived from January 1st, 2015, to today's date? An "average" is simply about how long you think the role plays you are part of survive. So if you have a role play last six months, and another role play last two months, then the average lifespan of your role plays is four months. :ferret:

Additional Questions
  • Q. Do you have any role plays started on December 31st 2015, or earlier, running today?
  • Q. When you look at the average length of your role plays, do you think it could stand to improve?
  • Q. Do you think the length of your role plays is more determined by you, or others around you?
  • Q. If you participate in 1x1 role plays and group role plays, which do you think lasts longer on average?
  • Q. (GM's): When looking for players, do you consider previous role play experience before accepting or denying them? (Ex: If a player has a tendency to drop RP's, do you give them another chance?)
  • Q. (Players): What does it take to cause you to drop a role play?

Community Choice Poll: Vote for the topic of the next poll! (You can choose multiple options. To vote, simply post in this thread which option(s) you want.)
  • A. Pace. (How fast RP's go/how fast you and the rest of the community post on average.) (Single-choice poll.)
  • B. Romance. (As a follow up to "sexuality" and "genders." Has to deal with topics of a romantic nature.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)
  • C. Politics. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how politics manifests in role playing.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)
  • D. Mechanics. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how artificial mechanics like dice rolls and stats influence role playing.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)
  • E. Story Themes. (As a follow up to "Tone" and "Character Ownership." Has to deal with what themes people find most appealing in a story.) (Multiple choice poll.)
  • F. Power Levels. (As a follow up to "Genres" and "Character Archetypes." Has to do with the average level of power player characters possess.) (Single choice poll.)
  • G. RP Completion. (As a follow up to "Longevity." Has to do with how many have successfully completed role plays, and/or how many completed role plays they have.) (Single choice poll.)
  • H. Surprise me. (None of the above.)

Last edited:
Yep, I fucked up and made the poll multiple choice instead of single choice. Absent mindedly set it to multiple choice like the previous two polls. Herp derp. Please vote for one poll option! Thank you.

Because I have only started doing PBP RP recently, my answers also include tabletop RPs
Voted for: 4-6 months

Additional Questions
  • Q. Do you have any role plays started on December 31st 2015, or earlier, running today?
    • Nope :( I had a few D&D start ups but nothing more than a few months
  • Q. When you look at the average length of your role plays, do you think it could stand to improve?
    • For sure! The last tabletop RP I dropped because I was playing with younger people who had all the time in the world to post (we did weekly meetings, but they also did some PBP during the week) and I felt left behind. Other times, our RPs were abandoned because people stopped showing up.
  • Q. Do you think the length of your role plays is more determined by you, or others around you?
    • It depends, honestly. If clear lines are established early, I will be less likely to drop out due to life, as the expectations are set and I can comply to them.
  • Q. If you participate in 1x1 role plays and group role plays, which do you think lasts longer on average?
    • I tend to try and be faster-paced in 1x1, so I think group RPs will last longer.
  • Q. (GM's): When looking for players, do you consider previous role play experience before accepting or denying them? (Ex: If a player has a tendency to drop RP's, do you give them another chance?)
    • If I was a GM, I would want to give them a chance, but would advise them that I'd keep a close eye on their participation. It's not cool to deny someone else a place in this situation, because the RP is full, and then a month later someone drops out :/
    • Too much activity. If the players are constantly posting, daily, and developing plot ideas without consulting with everyone. I don't like to feel excluded because I was at work. So I only join RPs that fit my schedule and availability. You can usually see it early on in the OOC if this particular group is super active, or if they have a life, like me. xD

Community Choice Poll:
  • B. Romance.
  • C. Politics.
  • D. Mechanics.
  • E. Story Themes.

No, but I've been rping with the same partner and using the same characters since December.
Oh god yes. I have trouble making things last.
It's a group effort. If one of you isn't into it or some other block come up, then the rp will suffer regardless. Communication between partners and players is key if you want something to last.
maybe groups, if you have a steady influx of interest and good GMing ( props to fandomstuck for staying alive so long)
I'm one of those types that drops a lot of rps sadly. I just can't keep writing for something that isn't working, but that doesnt mean i don't want to keep rping with that person if it's a simple fix. Luckily my main partner and I are really good at moving to new ideas if one gets stale.
Losing motivation to write a character/becoming bored with the plot. If I'm dreading writing a reply or it takes days to write even a paragraph, then I know it's not working. And if it's not working, I'm not going to make myself and others suffer through it longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kagayours
Do you have any role plays started on December 31st 2015, or earlier, running today?
Yup! Fandomstuck, which started in January of 2015. It's actually the only RP I've started or joined in 2015 or 2016. o.o I'll be starting another soon, but, so far, this is the only one. I realize that means I'm working from an incredibly small sample size, but, the only other RP I'm in right now is even older than Fandomstuck, sooo...

When you look at the average length of your role plays, do you think it could stand to improve?
Eh. Maybe? Having an average lifespan of at least a year (probably closer to two years if I were to count RP's from even further back than 2015) is rather satisfactory. I don't think it really needs to improve. XD Actually, I don't really think much about the longevity of my RP's at all anymore, nor do I really celebrate RP milestones like "Whoo! Fandomstuck is officially a year old!" or whatever, because... my RP's are stable enough now that I just sort of expect it, and I chug along without really worrying about my RP dying. :/

And I guess you could argue that that's really the best it can be. ^^"

Do you think the length of your role plays is more determined by you, or others around you?
Definitely determined by me. I admit that there's some luck that goes into how long an RP lives for, but I also maintain that it's largely up to the GM to deal with that bad luck. I believe that a strong RP is structured in such a way that it can deal with minor setbacks such as players dropping out, and that a good GM can handle these kinds of setbacks before they create too much of a problem. I also think that a good GM can structure an RP in such a way that it can keep interactions happening and keeps players engaged, so that massive holdups and players losing interest aren't things that happen nearly as often in the first place. And I pride myself in being able to do all of these things. Basically, my philosophy on GMing is: outside influences (such as the actions of your players) can affect the length of a roleplay, but only if the GM allows it to happen.

Basically, if a GM is doing everything that they should, then it would take some really awful luck to bring the RP down. XD Like, the vast majority of your players vanishing off of Iwaku without a word. o.o When an RP of mine doesn't do so well, I look at why it didn't do well. And I don't just say "oh, everyone started to lose interest around a certain point" -- I look at why people lost interest. Because individual players losing interest and dropping out is kind of inevitable, but when you see lots of players experiencing the same problems? There's probably something about the structure of your RP that's to blame. At which point, you just have to get through some trial and error and figure out what went wrong each time in order to improve.

When looking for players, do you consider previous role play experience before accepting or denying them? (Ex: If a player has a tendency to drop RP's, do you give them another chance?)
I occasionally look at past performance, but I'm pretty inconsistent about it. I mainly look at a player's track record during my RP in particular to decide how to deal with them. That's not to say that I ever turn anyone away at any point -- I always try to be as welcoming and encouraging as I can -- I just have to keep a closer eye on some people in certain areas, and sometimes place certain restrictions on them. o.o Or, sometimes, I give them extra help. It all just kind of depends on the situation.

If I have reason to believe that a player is likely to drop, then I'll be wary about sending them into a large group before I see how they can handle the RP. If I see that a player creates more characters than they can actually RP for, then I'll be more likely to place a stricter cap on how many characters they can have (whereas a player who is consistently on top of posting for a large number of characters would be allowed to play more, because they've earned my trust). If I see that a player typically misses important things because they don't read IC posts that don't directly pertain to them, then I'll be wary about merging a group they're in with any other group, unless I make it very clear to that player what's going on. If I see that a player has a history of pushing their limits with what their characters should be capable of, then I'll keep a closer eye on them to make sure they aren't overstepping any boundaries.

Basically, it's mostly based on interactions I've actually had with them as opposed to their participation in other games. Besides, who knows what the environment of those other games were like? o.o Just because they dropped someone else's RP, doesn't mean they'll drop mine. And I certainly don't turn people away at the door. I do have a sort of general wariness about new players, but I don't want it to come across like I'm limiting them, either. Instead, I just keep a closer eye on them until I know what kind of RPer they are. The longer someone RP's with me without issue, the more I trust them, and the more privileges they can have (usually not in the form of any official fancy perks, more like -- "You asked me for permission to do something and I don't have to think super hard about whether or not I should let you, because I'm pretty sure you'll be fine", whereas I'll be more hesitant to let problematic players have those same freedoms). And the longer you RP with me and you do create some sort of problem -- well, at least I'll know what specifically to look out for. People tend not to be "bad" RPers, they're just RPers with flaws -- specific flaws that I can recognize and learn to be wary of.

That being said, there's only one person I've ever RPed with who's been a long-time player and hasn't had any problems that I can think of. Everyone else -- even though you may be loyal, long-time RPers and I really do appreciate what you bring to the table -- you still have flaws, and those are flaws I watch out for and keep in mind when I'm considering how to treat you and your characters. o_o And if anyone here is actually a part of one of my RP's and wants to know what I think their flaws are, I guess you can PM me or whatever if you're really curious, lolol.

Question: How long--on average--would you estimate the role plays you joined in 2015-2016, survive? (DO NOT LIE TO YOURSELF! The poll will only be as accurate as the responders allow it to be.)
Clarity: On average, how long do you think the role plays you created and joined survived from January 1st, 2015, to today's date? An "average" is simply about how long you think the role plays you are part of survive. So if you have a role play last six months, and another role play last two months, then the average lifespan of your role plays is four months. :ferret:
Taking into account the roleplays I joined last year, I think they only lasted at most around three months. These are mostly group roleplays, and after a while I took a break from group rps. If you take into account my one x one rp record, though, I have two RPs with @Sen that have lasted since December 2014 and January 2015, well over a year. I just don't think my group roleplay experience is long-lasting.

Nope.
For group roleplays, yes I think it could stand to improve. But I handle 1x1s better, since I find that my specific partner (@Sen) is focused, committed and consistent. And it suits me perfectly.
For group roleplays that I'm not GMing, yes, I think the length of the roleplays I join is determined by others around me. It might also apply to anything I GMed in the past.
1x1s, definitely, in my own experiences. I know this doesn't apply for everyone though. x_x
I do inspect or take a look at their previous RP post or RP resume, and I tend to choose people who look like they can have consistent posting times. But I still make a mistake in picking sometimes. x_x
Lack of activity, even in the OOC. If the IC takes a moderate amount of time to update or get posted in, that's ok so long as the players still talk together and to the GM in the OOC thread or OOC in general.

• A. Pace. (How fast RP's go/how fast you and the rest of the community post on average.) (Single-choice poll.)
  • E. Story Themes. (As a follow up to "Tone" and "Character Ownership." Has to deal with what themes people find most appealing in a story.) (Multiple choice poll.)
  • F. Power Levels. (As a follow up to "Genres" and "Character Archetypes." Has to do with the average level of power player characters possess.) (Single choice poll.)
These three look good.

- No, unfortunately not.
- Yes. I want my roleplays to always be long term commitments and having them be 1-3 months average needs much improvement.
- I would say, it is a little bit of both. I try my hardest to incorporate fun perks that will draw people to stay, but it is also the player's duty when signing up a character to at least see the IC through to the first major plot point. (unless they really have life problems or what have you. I won't make them stay if they don't want to, however. )
- Mainly 1x1 roleplays but I want them both to have longevity.
- I do give them a chance but if they do it more than three times I won't accept them anymore.
- Well, mainly it is how much I want to focus on other things. If the roleplay doesn't hold my interest enough, I will drop it to focus on other things. :)

I vote for
Next!

Earlier, yep! It's on another forum. Me and my friend had started it way back in November 2014.
Well it depends wholly on who I'm role playing with and what type of role play it is. Some have small plots, some have ongoing ones.
Others, for the most part. However, if I feel something is getting stale, I'll try (keyword try) to end it.
1x1 always last longer than group role plays for me. I think almost every group role play I've been in has died, unfortunately :/.
I definitely consider previous experiences. I've had a lot of bad experiences, and hey, my policy is forgive but don't forget. At least in role plays, because this is something I do to relax and ease my mind.
When the other player continuously god mods, makes characters OP, when trope upon trope are used. Bad grammar and typos (I can excuse them when I know someone is trying. But pure laziness makes my teeth grit in irritation). Wanting insta-pairs is also a no-go for me.

As for the next poll- Romance :heartbeat:

Yes.

At some point you have to accept the inevitable truth that most games weren't meant to be.

In theory two people can carry an RP, the question is, do they want to? It depends on everyone, but it takes someone to step forward to take responsibility and initiative. This gives me and others the same amount of responsibility.

Haven't played enough 1x1s to give you a decent assessment.

I rarely look at player histories. I admit I think about it if I have had previous experiences, but I do not let it affect my judgement. Early dropouts are to be accepted so as a GM you prepare for that anyway. If you talk about players known to harass others or something, then it will however influence my decision.

Getting bored or busy.

Another question I can't figure out which one to click. We all have ones that come and go when you and other people are figuring out if the story will work or if you two will work together as rp buddies. But when it does work it lasts a very long time. For those people I've clicked with we've still got active rps, haven't switched plots. Sometimes added another rp to move along side the first one. So I don't know how to answer this. Because I forgot the ones that may have died fast or someone lost interest, but the ones I remember are still active and going. . . sooo yeeaaah. Plus all my rps started at different times so there really is no average at this point. And I'm far to lazy to actually go look up the rps I started since 2015.

Additional Questions
    Ehhhh, most likely. I joined in December of 2014 and I know I have some active rps on skype that I started in the year of 2015. Not sure when they were started but yes. It was a thing.
    As I posted my confusion above, not really sure? Since the ones that matter to me are still going. This also brings up the factor of if you were the one who dropped it or someone else. Dropping an rp is huge in the rp world. In onexones, you can have the whole plot worked out, amazing characters, write up the intro and BAM. They are just gone. Not your fault, so would have really count into your average?
    It's a teamwork thing. There are always slow points for some people at different times. That's when you've gotta take more control so the other person doesn't lose interest. Another thing to help keep a role play alive is to TALK. Talk to him often. It makes them not feel forgotten, it also helps you spring up random plot ideas.
    There was a reason I quit joining group rps. They never lasted.
    Ehhhh, if I'm seeking rps, it honestly depends on my current mood. Sometimes I'm rather picky and I'll state that in my interest check. If I'm craving something I have to play then I'll take a few of the same rp and let them weed each other out >> as horrible as that sounds.
    Writing style, their personality sometimes (as in I can't handle it @_@), something SUPER weird happened in the rp and I'm not okay with it, or I've just gotten bored. Very rarely will i drop because I took on too much at once. If your cool with waiting I'll at some point get you a post.

Q. Do you have any role plays started on December 31st 2015, or earlier, running today?
Yes. One role play that has been running since September :)
Q. When you look at the average length of your role plays, do you think it could stand to improve?
For group rps, yes. For 1x1, so far I haven't run into any problems with it :)
Q. Do you think the length of your role plays is more determined by you, or others around you?
Depending on what type. If it's a 1x1, I've seen it's determined by me and how much I try to communicate with my partner. If it's a group, it seems to be determined more by others around me like other players dropping out of the rp.
Q. If you participate in 1x1 role plays and group role plays, which do you think lasts longer on average?
1x1. Definitely. I want to say it's because I can handle them better because it doesn't move as fast as a group rp, plus communication between my partners is more consistent and I'm not dragging anyone due to my busy schedule. Although in group rps, I have tried to make faster posts.
Q. (GM's): When looking for players, do you consider previous role play experience before accepting or denying them? (Ex: If a player has a tendency to drop RP's, do you give them another chance?)
If a player has rped with me before, whether it be in my own rps or someone else's, then yes I do consider their track record into accepting them among other things. I also consider whether or not they follow rules set forth by GM, if they have a habit of posting one liners without notification or if they just have a bad attitude even after having tried to resolve any problems.
Q. (Players): What does it take to cause you to drop a role play?
In my entire time of role playing, there have been only two rps I have dropped and they had at least one of these reasons:
  • Accepting any and every single character created, no matter how OP or Mary Sue they were.
  • Everybody posting one liners. Even the GM was posting one liners; this wasn't even a 1x1 rp. After about 2 pages of one liners from the GM and whoever their character was conversing with and not one post that would move the plot forward, I was done.
    • Exception: I am much more lenient to one liners in a 1x1, reason being that it's between me and one other person instead of five+. But only if my partner has told me why they posted a short post and they don't do it often.
  • The GM constantly constantly posting to the point where players can't even respond to in-game events anymore.
The list above are events that happened in two rps I've participated in that led me to the decision to drop. In general, however, I do not drop rps. Instead they DIE on me ;A;

Community Choice Poll: Vote for the topic of the next poll! (You can choose multiple options. To vote, simply post in this thread which option(s) you want.)
A. Pace. (How fast RP's go/how fast you and the rest of the community post on average.) (Single-choice poll.)
B. Romance. (As a follow up to "sexuality" and "genders." Has to deal with topics of a romantic nature.) (Single or Multiple choice poll.)

I mostly participated in group rps that were, by design, between 1-2 months. Some of the one ones last longer than that, but most ran shorter than one month.

@- Falcon - @The Mood is Write @Valkyria Hi. Just pinging y'all to ask if you would kindly fix your votes on the poll to a single vote. It'll make it easier for me to count later if I don't have to remove multiple people's votes, thank you. :ferret:

Sorry, @Brovo, I had a lot of RPs and they varied a lot in longevity. I'll go alter my vote.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
@Brovo - which would you like me to change it to? Of the four I joined/ran two lasted just shy of 3 months, one finished at a year and two months, and the last is still going (since 2013)
I wasn't sure how to choose an average for that since they're split down the middle.

@Brovo - which would you like me to change it to? Of the four I joined/ran two lasted just shy of 3 months, one finished at a year and two months, and the last is still going (since 2013)
I wasn't sure how to choose an average for that since they're split down the middle.
Whichever you feel is the most appropriate average. Albeit the RP from 2013 wouldn't count since this poll specifically asks about 2015-2016.

So probably about 4-6 months or 7-9 months.

• Thank You
Reactions: Falcon
I'll split the difference then ^_^

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
Aaaaand time to play catch-up on these polls! XD
(If it's too late to have these be counted I understand, but I still have fun filling these out regardless. If it's not too late, check for one of these from 9-11 @Brovo in case you've unsubscribed or something.).

I voted for both "1-3 Months" because all the really long RP's I'm in were made in 2014.
That being said, the amount in 2015 that died are minimal, most actually having started and successfully finished over a few months.

The reason for this being the nature of them of being smaller RP's in a bigger Universe.

Q. Do you have any role plays started on December 31st 2015, or earlier, running today?

No, like I said earlier everything post-2014 are shorter RP's part of a larger Universe. So all the RP's I'm in now are either made in 2016 or are the long ones having lasted from 2014.
If you'd rather count a Universe RP as it's entirety though and not it's smaller parts? Well, in that case they are all made in 2014 or sooner anyways, so my answer would still be no. XD

Q. When you look at the average length of your role plays, do you think it could stand to improve?

Not at all. Considering they either survived for quite a long time already, or ended precisely when they were supposed to in order to carry future RP's.
That being said, my experience with longevity on the Guild is vastly different so I realise I've been hit with quite a bit of fortune in this regard.

Q. Do you think the length of your role plays is more determined by you, or others around you?

Definitely others. The two really long lasting one's are ran by Kaga.
Murder Games timeline is mostly pre-planned by a group of people almost a year of advance (I say mostly because wrenches always seem to happen).

Meanwhile Otherverse is the only one I have much of a say for that stuff, but that's a group decision really so my voice isn't any stronger than the others (expect Raz, he's the main voice).

Q. If you participate in 1x1 role plays and group role plays, which do you think lasts longer on average?

If we go by present experience I HAVE to say Groups cause outside of one or two quicky Universe RP's that's all I'm in.
Which makes me need to evaluate my longer RP experience from the Guild, in which case I'd have to say 1x1's.

My Iwaku experience is very much an anomaly (likely caused by how picky I am with RP's these days) while when I used to be the guy who grabbed RP's left and right without thinking the group ones were great, and those that survived had great memories, but they were rare. 1x1's however although had a high failure rate also had more of them that lived to last quite some time.

Q. (GM's): When looking for players, do you consider previous role play experience before accepting or denying them? (Ex: If a player has a tendency to drop RP's, do you give them another chance?)

If they have the tendency to drop I won't turn them down, but I won't throw anything big/vital their way until they've shown some consistency.

Q. (Players): What does it take to cause you to drop a role play?

Usually disorganisation and/or lack of communication in the OOC. If it's hard to keep track of the scenario because everything constantly derails (in a manner the GM can't easily redirect when needed) then that tends to set a ticking time bomb.

And yes, I know the Irony of a shit poster complaining about derailment.
My General Chatting standards are different from RP standards. XD

Otherwise, it's just if the RP starts moving too fast *looks at MG* for me to keep up with if RL suddenly pops up for a bit. That being said, I don't really 'drop out' in those cases but just become slow for a while as I catch up in everything I missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.