Demographics 07: Role Play Genres. (Huge poll!)

What genres do you look for and enjoy role playing in? (Multiple choice, lots of options.)

• High Fantasy: Swords and Sorcery, dragons, wizards, et cetera.

• Low Fantasy: Little to no magic, sometimes also referred to as "medieval fantasy."

• Hard Sci-Fi: Story conforms largely or entirely to real world science as we know it today.

• Soft Sci-Fi: Story happily disregards large sections of real life science in favour of technobabble.

• Science Fantasy: Literally wizards in space. Space Wizards!

• Post Apocalyptic: A story set in a world after some form of the apocalypse. Ex: Zombies, nukes.

• Dystopia: A world which is dark, brooding, and hopeless, typically filled with corruption and decay.

• Utopia: A world and/or society which is perfect, or as close to it as possible.

• Military: Role play directly involves itself with heavy emphasis on military aspects.

• Real World (Strict): Role plays set in the real world. There are no supernatural elements.

• Real World (Loose): Role plays set in the real world. Supernatural and magical things exist.

• Historical: Set in Earth's past, in a real period of history. May repeat history or change it.

• Alternate History: Set in Earth's past as a "what if" event. Ex: What if the Nazis won?

• [Insert]Punk: Steampunk, Cyberpunk, Dieselpunk, et cetera. See: Neuromancer, Hardwired, et cetera.

• Anime: A universe set in cartoon physics, typically with eastern influences, though not always.

• Fan Fiction: A universe set in an official work which is not your own.

• Nations: A role play whose focus is around entire nations instead of individual characters.

• Western: A story set in the American West. Clint Eastwood starred in a lot of movies in this genre.

• Crime/Detective: In any era of human civilization. Story focuses on the criminals or the detectives.

• Erotic: Stories with distinctly and unabashedly adult sexual themes, wherein it's a core part.

• Education: Stories with a heavy emphasis around schools, teachers, students, et cetera.

• Religious: Stories with distinctive and overtly religious themes and connotations. Literally Jesus!

• Eastern Fantasy/Wuxia: A story set in an ancient oriental land, with Chinese & Japanese mythology.

• Vampires/Werewolves: A story with a heavy emphasis on vampires & werewolves.

• LGBT: A story which has a heavy focus on LGBT characters and conflicts.

• Other: THAT'S A LOT OF OPTIONS. MY EYES!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
@Staff: Keep in mind that (with Diana's permission and Astaroth overlooking it) I'm posting threads in GC first, leaving them there for a week, and then moving them to RP Help & Discussion after! This way, my demographics threads can have the widest breadth of community input without asking for unfair administration favouratism. Thanks. :ferret:

Demographics threads are, essentially, an attempt to record the community's thoughts and feelings on RP-related subject matter via a series of votes. Iwaku's tastes, habits, et cetera. If you want further information on prior demographics threads, you can find the demographics hub thread here. (There are six other Demographics Polls to check stats on & vote in so far!)

Demo threads are not an appropriate place for hardcore multipage debates. You can ask questions about each other's positions, but keep them professional in tone. Otherwise, the spirit of the demographics threads will be lost. They're meant to sample the community and put it into an easily digestible form of numbers that anybody can look at later when creating their own RP threads or when curious about Iwaku's general demographics. If you're really interested in discussing the subject matter, create your own discussion thread. I would be delighted if demographics threads started to spawn further topics of interest by the community itself.

• A. Longevity: 2
  • B. Pace: 2
  • C. Romance: 3 (Loser--Coin Flip!)
  • D. Genres: 3 (Winner--Coin Flip!)
  • E. Politics: 1
  • F. Mechanics: 0
  • G. Story Themes: 1
  • H. Surprise me: 0

Apologies about this being a couple days late, but a game called Stellaris completely consumed my life for a couple days. I've had my fun binge though, so I'm getting back on schedule now. :ferret:

This is the first multiple choice poll! Statistically, this means that answers now show how many people who voted on the poll found X to be interesting, as opposed to "persons belong to group X" stat. For example: If 60% of people are interested in X, that means that 60% of all voters included fantasy, and 40% did not. Multiple choice allows for multiple options above 50%, whereas single choice does not. Multiple choice stats are harder to pull into reasonable statistics. (Because if you total the percentages up you can get [number of poll options] * 100 as a percentage point. Ex: If I had 7 poll options and everyone voted in them all, I would have 700% of the votes. See how silly that is?) However, some polls would simply make no sense without multiple choice, so in this instance, it's being used.

Also, yes, there's a ton of options. This is not the norm generally, but genres is a disgustingly humongous topic, so this many options is inevitable unless I cut out core genres.

Question: What genres do you look for and enjoy role playing in?
Clarity: When you're creating a role play or looking through the interest check/1x1 sections, what catches your eye and excites you? What are you specifically looking for?

Additional Questions
  • Q. How many options did you vote for on the poll? Optionally: Which ones?
  • Q. Do you have a favourite genre among your choices? Why?
  • Q. How often would you say you join role plays with genres that you don't normally look for?
  • Q. Did you know there were this many genres out there? Because there's a lot more of them.
  • Q. (GM's): Do you ever mix and match genres? If so, give an example!
  • Q. (Players): Are there any genres you refuse to ever join? If so, why?

Community Choice Poll:
  • A. Longevity. (How long an RP lasts.)
  • B. Pace. (How fast RP's go/how fast you and the rest of the community post on average.)
  • C. Romance. (As a follow up to "sexuality" and "genders.")
  • D. Politics. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how politics manifests in role playing.)
  • E. Mechanics. (New topic expansion: Polling to see the community's general interest in how artificial mechanics like dice rolls and stats influence role playing.)
  • F. Story Themes. (As a follow up to "Tone" and "Character Ownership." Has to deal with what themes people find most appealing in a story. Would be the first multiple choice poll by necessity.)
  • G. Character Archetypes. (As a follow up to "Genres." Has to do with the basic tropes and structures that Character Creation often follows.)
  • H. Surprise me. (None of the above.)

Additional Questions
High-fantasy, Low-Fantasy, Soft Sci-Fi, Science Fantasy, Military, Alternative History, Fanfic.
I usually gravitate towards fandoms because they're often worlds I'm rather interested in the setting, and putting in roleplay format makes it dead simple for everyone to understand exactly what the world's like, what's going on, what to expect, and so on. You can really just hit the ground running instead of having to painstakingly explain to readers that a c'uthaka is an 18 legged dog scorpion with stringers that shoot harpoons and to memorize what 18 other made up species are.
  • Q. How often would you say you join role plays with genres that you don't normally look for?
Very seldom. Games last a long time for me, ideally, and I try not to do too many, so I stick to what I know I like. A few times I've gone off the well worn path and found it lacking for what I wanted.
  • Q. Did you know there were this many genres out there? Because there's a lot more of them.
Oh yeah, that's just a small sample platter. Shit can get ridiculously specific.
Not usually, I play it straight most of the time, but then again, most things I would mix up are already existing genres (e.g. space Westerns)
If the tin says anime or school on the tin, count me out. Also, it takes a lot of convincing to make a supernatural RP appealing to me.

Community Choice Poll:
  • A. Longevity. (How long an RP lasts.)
  • F. Story Themes. (As a follow up to "Tone" and "Character Ownership." Has to deal with what themes people find most appealing in a story. Would be the first multiple choice poll by necessity.)
  • G. Character Archetypes. (As a follow up to "Genres." Has to do with the basic tropes and structures that Character Creation often follows.)

Hah. You know, it's funny -- I've always said that I didn't know how to define my RPing tastes and that I thought they were kind of all over the place, but, weirdly enough, this poll actually made it a lot easier for me to see my preferences for myself, allowing me to just look at which of these things I tend to gravitate towards and which ones I tend to skim past when looking at interest checks. :P

How many options did you vote for on the poll? Optionally: Which ones?
6 (7 if you count the final "other" option :P). I voted for high fantasy, soft sci-fi, real world (loose), anime, fan fiction, and Eastern fantasy. They all stood out to me as things that I either tend to RP most often, things that most easily catch my attention when browsing for new RP's, or, in the case of a few of them, just things that I've been itching to RP for a while now.

Do you have a favourite genre among your choices? Why?
Not really. Like I said, these are just general trends of stuff that I like -- none of these are something that I specifically go looking for first and foremost.

How often would you say you join role plays with genres that you don't normally look for?
Eh. I wouldn't say I'm normally looking for any particular genre in the first place? Whenever I look for a new RP, I tend to just skim the whole list of interest checks indiscriminately, just to see if anything pops out at me as something I might like.

That said, though, how often do I join RP's outside my preferred genres? Not often. There's a reason why they aren't my preferred genres -- they just kinda... turn me off. They don't really spark my interest or inspiration, unless there's something about them that I still really like for whatever other reason. That doesn't mean I don't ever glance at them, though -- I just wouldn't join an RP that I don't find interesting.

9 Options! ^_^ High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Post Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Real World (Loose), Alternate History, Eastern Fantasy, Vampires/Werewolves, and last but not least, Other.
High Fantasy is my number one favourite. Why? Hm, I suppose I've always liked stories to be in unknown lands with different species and races.
More often than not, to be honest. Mostly when I'm invited to an rp, however. Otherwise, I tend to skip over them if they aren't brought to my attentions.
Yes but I never really thought much of it or looked much into it.. I usually just zone in on fantasy and stay there, unless I'm looking for something different like post apocalyptic or horror for example.
Hm, in my most recent rps? Not really. But I have had mixtures of post apocalyptic/ supernatural, for example.
The only times I've refused to join an rp is when I don't know the genre/subject matter well enough.

As for the next topics, Longevity or Romance! ^_^

*Gulp.*

That's a lot of words. Words that make sense and are educational, so I like these words.

I voted for literally everything instead of Science Fantasy/Utopia, Anime/Fanfic, and LGBT/Education. The first two being a bit boring, the second two being generally too hard to control power levels and limiters for (thus resulting in horrifying acts of powergaming and metagaming), and the third two because the subject matter is controversial and too dangerous for a quick fix of fun.
Western because I can identify with cattle ranchin' and banditry.
A neck-and-neck race between Low Fantasy and Soft Sci-Fi. There's something satisfying about slaying a horrid beast with nothing but steel and shot, and science bullshit being allowed opens the door for a wide array of exciting possibilities.
Autarch is an internet craven and generally does not join roleplays enough to provide meaningful data.
Yes, actually! I've had experience at least passingly with each of these listed, but the extra genres provided in the link go a bit far, even for me.
Hell to the yes, it makes it much more fun. Dystopia and post-apoc can be mixed with literally anything, and one of my most enjoyable adventures as GMing ever was a SciFi Western that took place entirely within a single town.
Any RP dealing with a modern issue in a specifically one-sided view. I'd never join "Liberal Crime Squad: The RP" or "Conservative Combat: The RP" specifically to avoid the controversy.

• 5. High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, [Insert]Punk, Alternative History, and Other. I probably could have voted for one of the sci-fi options and a few others as well, but I didn't.
  • I'm really into the Punk genres. There's just something so appealing about it that I can't quite put my finger on.
  • Rarely. Occasionally, I'll give something new a try just to see if I'll enjoy it, but those times are few and far between.
  • Yes. And, as you pointed out, more.
  • I don't typically GM (mostly because I don't play in group Roleplays) but I enjoy the mixing of genres from time to time.
  • I don't write fandoms. This is for several reasons.
    • I want original characters and original ideas.
    • I'll never be able to write the characters as well as their original creator. For characters that I like enough to even consider this I feel it would be a slight.
    • Personally, fanfics are too close to theft for my liking. You can say "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" or whatever but it doesn't sit right with me. To clarify, I'm not saying it is plagiarism, I just think it's walking a really fine line. If it's done well, that's great, but it's not for me.

Q. How many options did you vote for on the poll? Optionally: Which ones?
13: High fantasy, low fantasy, soft sci-fi, science fantasy, post apocalyptic, dystopia, real world (loose), alternate history, anime, fan fiction, nations, erotic, and other. The "other" is for comedy, which is not a very popular roleplay genre but one I enjoy when I can find it.
Q. Do you have a favourite genre among your choices? Why?
High fantasy. I basically grew up on fantasy stuff and it definitely stuck. I never get tired of the genre as a whole, whereas my interest in the others I selected come and go in phases usually.
Q. How often would you say you join role plays with genres that you don't normally look for?
Rarely. Like maybe once a year average over all the time I've roleplayed?
Q. Did you know there were this many genres out there? Because there's a lot more of them.
Yep, I knew there were shit loads, and I thought there would be more in this poll since you gave a warning in the title. I'm surprised you don't have an option for romance, since that's the bulk of the non-libertine one on one section roleplays. :P
Q. (GM's): Do you ever mix and match genres? If so, give an example!
I don't do a lot of GMing, but I've got some ideas for mixing high or low fantasy with elements of post apoc and dystopia.
Q. (Players): Are there any genres you refuse to ever join? If so, why?
No, I don't have any genre blacklisted because there's always a chance something will pull me in despite my aversion, but there are some that will probably never catch my interest. Military, historical, and strictly real world stuff don't really do it for me because, as a lifelong fantasy nerd, fiction grounded in strict realism is basically the opposite of my preferences. Western just doesn't interest me much. Vampire/werewolf and education are things I avoid because of past experience with the kinds of people who play them frequently.

And for the community choice poll, Character Archetypes.

17! ... I'm not picky, I love a wide array of genres. I picked:
    High fantasy, low fantasy, hard sci-fi, soft sci-fi, science fantasy, post apocalyptic, dystopia, utopia, real world (loose), alternate history, [insert]punk, fan-fiction, crime/detective, erotic, vampires/werewolves, LGBT, and 'other'. By 'other' I mean psychological, dark fantasy, mythology, folklore, grimdark, fairy tale, paranormal, magical realism, general supernatural, and horror.

Probably grimdark, paranormal, psychological, crime, magical realism, and high fantasy. I don't get to do a lot of high fantasy role-plays, but I adore them, and always have. Normally I gravitate towards psychological and crime role-plays, whether they be light-hearted or dark with little light at the end of the tunnel. I love broken characters. I love breaking them even further.

Since I have such a wide array of interests, not often. If I dislike something, there's a good reason for it, and there's about a zero percent chance that I'll go for a role-play outside my interests. Like, I have no interest in animals, or family/pregnancy role-plays, or anything super modern/slice-of-life. I have a hard enough time motivating myself to write for something that does interest me.

However, there is the odd genre that I don't play simply because I don't know very much about it, I.E. most things history related. It's not because I have an immense dislike for them.

I sure did!

I'm surprised you don't have an option for romance
I struggled with this for a few minutes, and ultimately chose not to include it because it will come up in multiple other polls later down the road. Plus, I'd then have to include other genres like comedy, horror, and other "emotions" genres for a lack of a better term. With this poll I aimed more for settings-based as opposed to emotions-based. (Though all will likely get their turn in the poll some day.)

Clarity: When you're creating a role play or looking through the interest check/1x1 sections, what catches your eye and excites you? What are you specifically looking for?

It honestly depends on my mood. I generally stick to rps that I can get something romantic out of. These are my romance novels that I get to help write. So the setting can change depending on the plot someone and I come up with. I'm usually up for about anything that isn't sicfi, but above I also saw military. I have no interest in that either.

Additional Questions
    Too many of them
    Currently I'm leaning more towards realistic or realistic with hints of supernatural.
    Never >>
    haha I know there are tons
    I only do one x ones soo maybe?
    See answer above.

High fantasy, soft sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, dystopia, real world (strict), cyberpunk, and eastern fantasy. That's a total of 7.
My absolute favorite would have to be post-apocalyptic. I like depressing things. I like writing about them, I like reading about them. Catharsis, man. And usually rps & stories set in post-apocalyptic settings have this sort of bleak atmosphere that just lures me right in. Like Wolf's Rain.
Honestly, I'm always on the look out for new things. I like to expand my horizons. That's not to say there aren't any genres I don't like, because I usually stay away from anime, fandom, high school and superhero-themed rps. But I HAVE joined anime role-plays. Heck, I'm even in this one role-play that's all of the things I dislike minus the superheroes, so there can be exceptions to the rule... provided that the plot is interesting enough to catch my attention and that the role-players are active, reliable members.
Yes!
Not as a GM, but as a writer. I wrote this one story that has supernatural, scifi, as well as religious elements. Basically, the story is set in a futuristic world where angels exist and live among human beings. I intended to turn it into a role-play once, but it never took off (because there were too many details to address, and I was lazy as fuck)
I don't think I would ever get into furry and erotic role-plays. Furry, because I have an aversion for mascots. I'm not sold on the idea of rping as an animal with human traits. I guess it's because I like at least some semblance of realism in role-plays. I just can't get into it if it's not believable.

Erotic, because often it's just a lot of sex and not much else.

I'd then have to include other genres like comedy, horror, and other "emotions" genres for a lack of a better term.
I noticed horror wasn't there last night! ^_^ At first I thought I hadn't read correctly and went back to reread the list. But your explanation makes sense. :3

I voted for six options and was contemplating on voting for more, since I like just about a bit of everything except Religious, Military and Nation. xD So long as the premise and the plot is engaging I'm up for anything! Character development and interactions are my candies.

Voted for: High Fantasy, Real World (Loose), Anime, Fan Fiction, Eastern Fantasy/Wuxia, and Vampires/Werewolves. I just gravitate to roleplays with supernatural and fantasy themes the most.
Hmm, Real World (Loose) because it's the closest to Modern Fantasy.
Once in a while when I see a really neat premise and plot summary, and it draws me in. For example, Science Fantasy normally wouldn't draw me in and it's not something I normally look for, but I once joined a group roleplay with it since the plot and the background was very interesting.
Yep, I know. xD I was looking for a few others, but the ones listed here cover those as well.
Since I'm only GM-ing the first roleplay I ever would GM on Iwaku after a hiatus in group roleplay, I'm attempting to mix Real World (Loose), Anime, Fan Fiction, and Vampires/Werewolves with a dash of Crime/Detective since the roleplay begins with a murder.
Religious and Erotic. I'm alright with writing sexual themes or scenes, to be honest, but I don't like roleplays where only sex is the focus. The only reason I even enjoy writing in sexy scenes is because I'm entertained with seeing how the characters act in the heat of the moment or the intimacy between the couplings.

These three would be great. xD I think I voted for Romance as well in the last poll, but Story Themes and Character Archetypes are going to be really fun to see.

• A. It all depends on the plot.
  • A. I haven't really joined many roleplays at all, so so far never.
  • A. Oh, I'm aware.
  • A. I haven't GM'd much, but I like sticking with one genre.
  • A. I have a strong dislike for dark, sadistic, or sexual themes. I also stay clear of furry, and a lot of romance.

Those that I voted for (detailed below).

Q. How many options did you vote for on the poll? Optionally: Which ones?
  1. High Fantasy
  2. Soft Sci-Fi
  3. Science Fantasy
  4. Post Apocalyptic
  5. Real World (Loose)
  6. Anime
  7. Fan Fiction* (Usually with OC's though, exception Murder Games. I also outright avoid self-insert/Mary Sue styled Fan-Fiction).
Q. Do you have a favourite genre among your choices? Why?

Those in pre-made universes of shows/games I like are first, simply because I already have a good understanding of it. And the detail of the RP isn't reliant on both a random persons ability to write, and/or requires me to read an essays worth of content to have the same understand I already have beforehand.

Regardless as to if it's based off another thing or not though, the order of genre's follows this list:

Sci Fi > Science Fantasy > Fantasy > Anime > Real World > Post Apocalyptic

*Fandom wasn't added cause that falls under the 'pre-made universes' bit... usually.

The reason for Sci-Fi being on top is because I'm a technology enthusiast. I love playing with future tech, imaging where scientific advancements might take us etc. I go for the Soft version though because when it comes to RP's I prioritize writer/player flexibility, which being beholden to realism just get's in the way of more often than not.

Q. How often would you say you join role plays with genres that you don't normally look for?

Friend Invites, granted that's the same for any RP these days.

But if it's outside my usual genre I usually dig into it more before saying if I'm in or not, and it's never something I would ever join via Interest Checks on my own accord even before I made the "Invited Only" switch.

Q. Did you know there were this many genres out there? Because there's a lot more of them.

I never bothered to learn all the specifics, but yes I knew there were a shit ton of genres out there.

Q. (GM's): Do you ever mix and match genres? If so, give an example!

I think that's kind of unavoidable, simply due to the Main Genre/Sub Genre deal.
But ideally? Yes, I often find myself mixing several Genre's together back when I used to GM on the Guild, and during tabletop RPs I DM.

Q. (Players): Are there any genres you refuse to ever join? If so, why?

I wouldn't say there's any that I'd always refuse to join, but there are certainly those I'd be cautious of:

1. Utopia

Like Characters, settings and worlds are usually only interesting with flaws. By removing flaws you remove development, change and greatly increase the odds of the RP simply being a "Mary Everything" sort of deal.

2. Nations

I can't bother with heavy mechanics on a forum RP. That's a luxury that usually only works when doing it real time with something like Roll20 or face to face. That and Nation RP's have the added issue of a lot of the time you're not even roleplaying a person, but a nation. Which either means RP'ing just end results of a nation, which is strictly mechanical thinking, or you RP politicians being politicians... No thanks.

3. Erotic

It's not something I have a strong interest in any more, I'd rather focus on making a story than typing out sex scenes. I know there's a crowd that's going to jump in and go "Erotic RP is nothing like typing out sex/sexting! It is so much higher class!". But... It really is the same thing, you might treat it more seriously than the two horny people wanting e-sex, but it's the same actions at the end of the day. And if you truly just wanted to sex as a plot tool you'd be using fade to black and not bothering to put in so much detail into it it becomes the main genre of the RP opposed to anything else. Like really, when the sex scenes take priority of genre over the world your in you're doing it for the sex, there's no way around that.

4. LGBT

Just because when LGBT becomes the Genre it usually indicates poor priorities. A story, good characters, a good world should all take priority. I'm all for LGBT characters, or hell an LGBT cast if done well and with respect to everything else. But when you look at your RP and decide "Is the world more important? Or is who my characters want to bone more important?", if you're choosing the latter then you're very much entering the same issues I detailed with Erotic. You're not focusing on a story or world, you're looking to write out a private fantasy.

And if anyone's reading this and getting angry, thinking something like "How could you be so ignorant/homophobic etc?". Let me ask you a question, if I made an RP and had the genre "Straight RP" where everyone had to be straight? Wouldn't that also seem unnecessarily restrictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.