1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
[fieldbox="Adam Smith, blue, solid"]
The sky was dotted with fluffy, white clouds taking turns acting as hiding places for the sun. The call of a skein of ducks sounded as they flew over head. Adam paused and looked up toward the birds as he straightened up after dropping a suitcase into the trunk of his car. He had always been envious of them. There were no restrictions, no limitations, and no freak accidents that seemed to plague him every time he planned a trip out of town. But this time was different. He had every route outside of town marked off on his map. There would be no stopping him this time.

“Are you sure you want to go, Adam?”

He sighed as he watched his mother exit the house and start down the sidewalk connecting the driveway to the building, “Mom, we’ve already talked about this,” he closed the rear passenger door and rounded the front of his car, “All I’ve ever known is Willow Hill. I’m ready to see what else is out there. I wanna see mountains, and the oceans, visit D.C. or even another country that I’ve only ever seen in pictures or on the internet.”

“What’s wrong with pictures?” she replied, her eyes red from crying.

“Let him go, Anne,” the baritone voice of his father sounded from the door. A few steps later and he was standing beside his wife, “We both knew this day would come. We just need to trust that while he’s out there, he’ll make the right decisions and come back to us in one piece.”

Adam flashed a grateful smile, “I’ll be back, I promise. It’s not like I could stay away from you guys forever. You’ve done so much for me.”

Fighting back tears, Anne nodded as she reached out and smoothed her hands over Adam’s red t-shirt, “You be careful,” she finally said, “and come back to us.”

“I will,” he told her as he embraced her.

“Where to first?” his father asked.

“I think I’ll go to D.C. first. It’s the closest.”

“D.C.’s nice,” his father spoke as he reached around and opened the car door for Adam, “Bring us back a souvenir.”

“You bet,” Adam returned with a smile before sliding into the car, “I’ll call you when I stop for the night.”

“We love you,” his mother spoke as he started the engine.

“Love you guys, too!” he returned.

The drive was as peaceful as he thought it would be. The cool breeze rushed in through the open window messing his hair as it passed through. His radio played, and he sang along with it despite the fact that he was probably off-key. He had elected on taking the eastern route out of town as it was the quickest way to get to the interstate, and so far, there were no disruptions. This time was different from all the times before when he had tried to leave Willow Hill. He’d pack up the car, get on the road, and something would inevitably keep him from leaving. He was starting to think the town was cursed..or maybe he just had horrible luck..and he was trapped there.

This time was different.

There were few cars on the road, and he was hitting every light green. Even the gas station was empty, so he could go right in and fill the tank of his car. Nothing, it seemed, would stop him from his trip this time.[/fieldbox]

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
FRANKIE

"You know what's at stake here. You need to make this work. At all costs, Frankie... At all costs."

As Tina Turner sang on in the background, Francesca's thoughts blared, a screaming claxon in her head, the words she'd been remembering revolving over and over again like a bad dream cranked to eleven. She knew, ultimately, what she'd signed up for wouldn't be easy, but somehow somewhere between the act of agreeing and the act of carrying out the task, her spine had shriveled up inside her like cooked Ramen.

There was a fine line between passion and crazy, and as she neared the sleepy little town ahead of her, she was fairly certain she was toeing it. Yet she was still following through.

Her mother had once told her she would never go far in life if she never learned to put aside her constant doubts and insecurities... If she never pushed past her comfort zones or leapt before looking. She'd lit up like a Christmas tree when Frankie had told her about the work she'd taken. It was the first time in twenty-two years her mom had ever seemed genuinely, completely proud of her. Idly, she had to wonder if her mom would still be proud or not, if she knew all the details...

Her GPS gave a small ping and Frankie glanced down for a moment as the small screen in front of her. It was nearly time... One mile to go. Her hands gripped the wheel until her knuckles turned white, her eyes flickering back to the road ahead of her. Five-hundred feet... Two hundred...

Suddenly, from the corner of her eyes she could see a off-white blur streak out across the road and with a small cry she jammed her foot down on the brakes, cranking the wheel hard to the left. It happened so fast that velocity and gravity seemed at war and with horror, Frankie felt the car tipping, tipping... Two wheels... Then none... Along the small incline, the car flipped two more times, before coming to rest with an ear splitting shriek of metal between two towering pines. The world was upside down and filled with a noxious, cloying odor of the deployed airbags... And a soft hissing sounded from the front of the mangled machine as smoke poured white and thick.

Something wet ran down the side of her face, tick-tack drips on the roof beneath her head the only other sound as she fought through the wave of dizziness.

A huffing sound, like a soft whoosh sounded from the caved in engine and clarity woke Frankie like a slap to the face.. Fire made that noise. And fire was bad.

"Help!!!" She screamed, clawing for the the seat belt clip, "Oh God! Someone help!!"

"All costs, Frankie..."

This was not part of the plan...

• Love
Reactions: DarinValore
Adam sang along with the tunes that blared over the radio as the wind danced through his hair. His hand rose and fell in time with the beat as his arm rested on the door. His index finger drummed softly against the steering wheel as he held it loosely with his right hand. His head bobbed slightly as he took in the scenery on the highway once again.

He had driven down this road at least a half a dozen times in attempts to go out into the world, but never had he made it this far. Everything was more natural when you stripped away even the small buildings of the quaint town he’d grown up in. The birds sang as they floated effortlessly in the sky. The trees looked taller and undoubtedly served as a shelter for many animals.

It had been miles since he’d last seen a car, but off in the distance grew a dot that was heading straight for town. He smirked at the thought of someone going towards Willow Hill instead of away from it. He couldn’t help but watch the dot grow into a car and beyond that until something caught his attention. A deer had wondered to the edge of the road.

“Cute,” Adam spoke as he watched the animal look up...and then dart out right in front of the other car, “Oh!” was all he could get out as he slammed on the breaks. The tires squealed against the pavement, the car finally coming to a stop. The other driver was not so lucky. The last he’d seen, the car had turned and flipped. He could still hear the crunching of metal even though the whole event took a matter of seconds.

Both hands gripped the wheel. Adrenaline pumped through his body as his chest rose and fell, “Holy shit,” he muttered. Checking his rearview mirror, he saw the other car pinched between two trees, smoke billowing from it, “The other driver!”

Quickly, he jumped into action. Slamming his car into park and pulling his keys from it before exiting. He was fast-walking until he saw the flames peek out from the car and heard the driver’s voice cry for help. Sprinting the rest of the way, he slid into a stop beside the car, “Ma’am, are you okay?” he asked as he peered in assessing the situation.

As smoke filtered in through the vents, Frankie tried to hold her breath, to keep from inhaling the acrid odor, her mind reeling as she fought in vain against the belt. Gravity warred against her, and blood rushed to her head, dripped from the gash beside her eyebrow, and as dizziness stirred, so too did an muffled sort of sound.

It took her a moment or two to realize what she was hearing, and canting her head to the side with a grimace, she spotted the fuzzy shape of a man, peering in through the window. Tears streamed as she shook her head, “I’m stuck! The belt! I can’t get it undone!”

As soon as she started speaking, Adam was peeking inside the car. Why was she stuck? Did the belt get caught on something? Was gravity preventing a clean snap of the buckle? Whatever the reason, if he didn’t get her loose soon, she was going to burn to death in this car.
“Hold on,” he told her, “I’ll be right back.”

Panic came over her face at his words and paling, she shook her head with a sob, “No! No...please! Please don't leave me!”

He paused, “I’ll be back. I promise. I need my glass breaker so I can cut the belt and free you,” he reached out and touched her shoulder gently, “I’ll be back,” he reassured her.

Breathing in, squeezing her eyes shut, Frankie finally nodded, gripping the wheel she still held into just slightly tighter.

Adam returned, just as he had promised, a moment later. In his hand was an orange tool with a pointed metal end and a crook with a blade in it. The fire had intensified a little, kicking up more smoke as he leaned into the car, “Brace yourself against the ceiling as best you can, miss. When I cut this, you’re going to fall,” he warned as he hooked the waist belt where he could reach and began to saw away. When there was only one tug left, he spoke again, “Press your hands against the roof and your feet against the floor. That will keep you from falling. I’ll help you out after that,” he gave her a moment, “Ready?” he asked.

Nodding again, more firmly this time, Frankie pressed her palms into the roof and jammed her feet down where they still rested on the floor of the vehicle, “Ready…”

One final tug cut through the belt. Adam quickly shoved the glass breaker into his pocket before reaching out to the woman, “Alright, lower yourself to the roof,” he told her. A sudden pop under the hood grabbing his attention though he tried his best to remain calm.

“What was that??” Frankie asked, her voice raising a little with concern. The belt was loose, but her mind was foggy, and as she lowered herself, she felt another wave of dizziness when gravity resituated. Pushing, forcing herself forward, she tumbled out in an ungraceful half roll, groping through smoke and through tears for the arms of her rescuer, to pull herself the rest of the way.

Adam remained low, crawling back as she exited the vehicle. His hands hovered over her shoulders just in case he needed to steady her or help her, “There you go,” he coached until she starting grasping for his arms. He let her find them, and winced slightly at the grip she had on them, “You’re alright,” he told her as he helped her slowly to her feet and began to guide her further from the car. He took her to his car where he opened the driver’s door, “Here have a seat, I’ll call an ambulance.”

Outside was almost worse than being trapped inside. Seeing the wreck… the smoldering mess that had been her truck was somehow so much more intimidating and terrifying. He led her along, and it was probably a good thing, because her legs quaked as she moved, and when she’d finally sat down, she still did not release her vice-like grip on his arm, his words washing over her, barely audible through the blood pounding in her ear. Her free hand reached up and she touched the back of it to the gash on her forehead, grimacing.

“...You saved my life…” She murmured softly.

“I just did what anyone would have done,” he told her as he squatted beside the car because she was clearly not willing to release him yet. The right corner of his lip turned up slightly as he continued, “Those deer...they come out of nowhere, don’t they?”

“It wasn't supposed to…” Blinking, Frankie trailed off, her eyes shifting to the man with a small, anxious smile, her voice steadier, but still quaking, “They really should put up signs or something. And I'm not so sure there… most people don't have glass crackers… or common decency.”

He patted his pocket as he spoke, “I only have this thing because my mom insisted that I take one wherever I go. You’re right, most people probably don’t have one, but I’d like to think that common decency is..well, common,” he studied her head wound, “I might have a shirt or something we can press against that to help stem the bleeding, but you gotta let go of me long enough to get one.”

Staring at him for a moment, she seemed confused, until her eyes flickered to her hand on his arm and her smile grew ever so slightly, “Sorry. Didn't even realize…” Her grip softened, but did not relinquish entirely as her eyes moved to his again, “Don't need to ruin a shirt, though… I already owe you a hell of a cup of coffee.”

Tenderly, she touched her fingertips to the gash, and her throat tightened as she considered how close she'd come… “I'm Frankie, by the way.”

“Adam,” he returned, “and it’s just a shirt, Frankie. It’d be better than you bleeding all over yourself,” the faint sound of sirens fell on his ears, “but it seems like help’ll be here any minute, so maybe we can spare my shirt,” he paused and looked down the road before looking back to her, “I might just take you up on that cup of coffee by the way.”

Smiling, a sense of ease coming over her as the sirens grew closer, Frankie shrugged, “You say that like I was gonna give you a chance to get out of it. My momma raised me right there, Adam. You don’t let a man go and save your life without repaying him, somehow. Though hell if I know where any decent coffee places are around here. And I think my phone might be roasted…”

Adam looked down the road toward his destination. He was so close to leaving this town behind and just when he was about to be successful, it looked like another obstacle had been thrown in his path. As badly as he yearned for what was beyond this small town, he couldn’t leave Frankie in a town she had apparently never been to.

“Don’t worry, Frankie,” he convinced himself to smile, “When you’re all better, I’ll take you to the best coffee joint in town so you can buy me that cup of coffee. But don’t rush it. Heal up. I’m in no hurry to go anywhere,” he glanced once more down the stretch of road before the arrival of the ambulance distracted him, “I’ll follow behind and meet you there if you’d like?” he asked.

“Would you?” Her cheeks colored as she considered his words for a moment, “I… I probably sound like a mess, but I’m not exactly good at traveling on my own as is. It… it’s my first time away from my hometown. Doing a hell of a job, right? And, well… hospitals kind of freak me out.” Biting the edge of her lip, she chuckled, “I’m making a great first impression, aren’t I?”

He smiled and let out a chuckle of his own, “You’re doing fine. Truth be told, this was going to be my first trip outside of this place. Born and raised here in Willow Hill. Thought I might take a trip and see the world. Have to put a pin in it, I guess,” he shook his head, “Don’t worry about your feelings about hospitals,” he cringed, “they freak me out, too.”

Just then, the paramedics arrived, “Excuse us, sir,” they spoke and Adam complied.

“I’ll follow behind you,” he reassured her.

“Thanks…” She noted, before giving the paramedics her attention. It wasn’t half as long, incidentally, as she’d anticipated. The gash wasn’t deep, and by the time they’d put a strip across it to keep it sealed, the emergency crews had put the fire out in her vehicle and the police arrived to take an accident statement. All in all, less than half an hour had passed before she was told by the paramedics she was free to go.

No hospital was, by no stretch, a small relief. She found Adam where she’d left him, and hands slipping into her pockets, she shrugged, “...Apparently, I’m cleared. They… they offered me a lift into town, but it all feels a little sterile in the back of the ambulance. Think… think I could take you up on that coffee offer, and bum a ride?”

“Oh,” he said as he leaned against the rear fender of his car, “Sure! I could use a cup. Who knew answering questions for police reports could be so boring,” he spoke sarcastically, “Come on,” he continued as he motioned for her to follow him around the car. Popping open the door, he continued, “I know just the spot.”

Hesitating, Frankie eyed the opened door for a moment. She never quite figured she'd be getting into a moving vehicle. So soon after totaling her own, but there was little else she could do and standing around was only going to delay the inevitable.

Her purse, which the emergency crews had managed to extract for her, switched to her other shoulder and breathing in deeply, she eased her way into the car, “Don't figure I need to warn you to watch out for deer?”

“After all of that,” he said as he started to shut the door, “I’ll break for love bugs.”

Moving to the driver’s side, Adam slid into the seat and started the car. With one last look down the stretch of highway, he turned around and headed back toward Willow Hill, leaving behind his plans and the accident.

FRANKIE

Apart from what was sure to be a raging headache, and despite her momentary lapse into apprehension prior to the drive, Frankie seemed to have recovered from her near fatal accident with a sense of dignity and a measure of courage. She rode with her fists balled so tight she nearly cut off circulation to her fingers, and was fairly certain her frantic pulse was beating loud enough to be audible, but she held herself together, and by the time they arrived at the cozy little coffee shop she couldn't help but feel a modicum note of pride in her bravery.

Still, outside of the car was ultimately far better and with a exhalation of the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding, she followed Adam inside, “So…” she started, as they made for a private table in the corner, “You grew up here? In town? It's pretty cute… Why'd you wanna leave?"

“Yep, Willow Hill’s been my home since birth,” he answered her first question, “It’s nice here. The weather’s predictable, the summers are hot, and the winters are cold enough, but I just wanted to see what the rest of the world had to offer. Call it simple curiosity,” he leaned back against the chair, “What about you? What brought you to Willow Hill?”

Chuckling, Frankie shook her head, “I'm not even sure, honestly. I guess when you're in it, the rest of the world doesn't seem so great. I just… I was going through the motions. Every day, driving myself crazy, trying to have everything perfect and controlled… It got to be so overwhelming, and I guess I just… needed change. So I threw up a random small town search on my GPS and I just started driving.” Raking her fingers through her hair, she breathed out, “I don't even have luggage. I just got in the car and left. Flaming vehicle in the woods… not exactly where I expected things might end up…”

“I suppose not,” he returned, “I’m pretty sure no one would have expected any of that. Well, if you’re looking for a simple life experience, you’ve come to the right place. Willow Hill doesn’t have anything super exciting. The people are really nice. The schools are great, and the jobs pay well enough to make sure you can make ends meet. Cost of living isn’t too bad either. You looking to stay long or what?”

“I dunno, to be honest.” Her smile waned a little, as she looked down at the tabletop, “Do you ever just… You plan ahead and have this huge scheme in your head of how things are gonna work out and then you get there and it just makes no sense at all?” Looking up, she smiled faintly, “I’m kind of there, right now. I just feel like I’m wandering, and I have no real bearing… It’s pretty scary. God, I probably sound like a homesick eleven year old at summer camp.” Laughing, she rubbed her hands over her face, before settling them in her lap again, “You aren’t wrong, though. The people really are nice.”

He offered a small smile, “Willow Hills is definitely made up of friendly people,” leaning back in his chair and idly spun the cup in his hands, “I get what you’re saying, though. I have plans that I’ve tried to make, but every time I go to do them, something comes up. Construction, an illness in the family,” he glanced up at her, “a car accident,” Adam stole a quick glance out the window before he continued, “I know I was born for something other than being stuck here. I don’t want to be one of those guys who never leaves their small town. I want to see other things. Do other things,” he shifted and sighed, “One day.”

Bringing his coffee to his lips, he allowed the warm liquid to wash away the inward struggle before placing it on the table again, “How long you wanting to stay? Not that I want to see you go already,” he smiled, “Just that I could see about helping you out with a place to stay and such until you get back up on your feet.”

“Oh…” her smile brightened a little as she seemed to consider the offer, “That's really nice of you. I honestly never thought how long I'd stay. I guess I was just gonna… I dunno… crash out in my car. Oof…” laughing, she shook her head, “Guess I went a little too literal there. But yeah… That'd be great. Crazy how you're looking to get away from the small town life and it's something I'm sort of desperate for. Hopefully you stick around little longer, anyway…”

He joined her in laughter before taking another drink of his coffee. With a shrug he answered, “It doesn’t look like I’m going anywhere anytime soon. I know the guy who manages one of the local hotels. I’m sure he could get you a discounted price per night considering all that’s happened?”

“That'd be perfect. I think I'd like to stick around, at least for a few days. Who knows… maybe it was fate, you know? The crash. I don't really buy into all that stuff… but maybe there's a reason other people do. Or maybe I hit my head harder than I thought.” With a grin, she shrugged and fumbled for her purse, “At any rate, I owe you a cup of coffee… And I won't hear any argument otherw-- oh…”

Frowning into the open purse she blinked, “Oh no…”

“Oh no?” he replied, a look of confusion on his face, “Everything alright?”

“Augh…” Pinching the bridge of her nose, she straightened, laughing dryly, “They grabbed my purse… but my wallet must've fallen out when the… when the car flipped. Your hotels here take IOUs?”

Adam whistled and shook his head with an apologetic look, “Afraid not,” he replied, “We’ll have to find you another place to stay for the night,” he thought a moment before he continued, “I could see if my parents would let you stay in their spare room?”

“Oh. Geez. Adam, no… look.” A sigh escaped, and she shook her head, “You have done so much as it is. I couldn't impose. Maybe just… I could use a shower. And then I'll figure something out.”

“Nah,” he shrugged, “I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem. My parents would never turn a person in need away,” he started up from his seat, “Here, let me give them a call real quick.”

Biting her lip, Frankie hesitated, before nodding, “It'd just be for the night… until I can call my bank and get a new card ordered.” Reaching out, her hand covered his forearm, and she smiled warmly, “Thank you. Really.”

Pink dusted his cheeks beneath the short beard as he smiled, “It’s the least I could do. Couldn’t leave you to sleep on the street,” Adam said before he slipped out the front door of the storefront coffee shop to call his parents. He reappeared at the table a few minutes later and wore a disappointed look on his face as he slid back into his chair, “My parents are a no go. They are doing some last minute remodeling. Guess they’re tired of looking at my old room as if I was coming back. They’re repurposing it.”

Adam let out a sigh as he thought about a solution. His brow narrowed as he came up with one, “I, uh, I have a bed you could sleep in.”

Looking up, Frankie smirked, unable to help the teasing expression as it curled its way along her lips, “Do you, now? Why Adam… Was this all some elaborately designed scheme to get me to shack up with you?”

Immediately, embarrassment washed over him. Still, he had to save what face he could, “Did it work?” He plastered on a smile in an attempt to hide the embarrassment.

“I mean… The deer was a bit much. You really didn't have to try so hard.” She offered with a small wink, before absently, teasingly, returning to her coffee.

Chuckling, Adam took up his coffee and took another drink before answering, “I meant that you could stay at my place...just until you get back up on your feet. I don’t mind taking the couch for a bit. Again, just trying to help.”

“You're sweet. But I'm not gonna kick a man out of his own bed after he went and saved my life. I can take the couch. Least I can do… Since I didn't even get to buy you coffee.”

“We’ll see about that. Finish your coffee, and I’ll take you over to my place so you can settle in. Sound like a plan?”

“Sounds like a plan.” She agreed, with a nod.

Adam enjoyed coffee with Frankie. She was quick-witted and seemed to have a kind spirit. While the rest of their conversation centered around what was next for the now stranded woman, Adam thought it best, after a little over an hour, if the two of them made their way to his house so that she could get settled in and even relax a bit. Even though she had come out of the accident relatively unscathed, she would be sore soon enough.

After pulling the key out of the apartment door, he pushed it open and led the way in, “Well, you can stay as long as you need to, Frankie,” he told her as he led her into the living room where a couch, table, and entertainment center greeted them. Pointing down the hall, he continued, “The bathroom’s the second door on the right. The first door is the closet with the towels. You’ll stay in my room,” he flashed a look that told he he’d not have an argument, “If my mom ever found out I let a guest - let alone a woman - sleep on my couch, she’d kill me.”

Dropping his keys, phone, and wallet on the countertop, he then moved into the small kitchen, “It’s not much and there isn’t much in it right now. I wasn’t planning on being here for a while,” he admitted with a smile, “I’ll go out later and get some groceries. Will you need anything specific? Tylenol or something?”

Moving inside, Frankie hesitated by the door for a few minutes, taking in the apartment with a measure of sudden insecurity. She wanted to insist on taking the couch, and it briefly reflected in her eyes, but he left little room otherwise and with a tentative smile, she shrugged.

“Probably gonna want some, yeah. Thank you for doing this, Adam. Honestly… it's more than decent of you. Men like you… they're kind of a rare commodity these days.”

Smiling shyly, Adam shrugged, “Mom and Dad insisted on being kind to others, especially to those who found themselves in a hard spot. That’d be you, and as long as you aren’t going to stab me or smother me with a pillow at night, we’ll be good,” he paused as his brow narrowed, “This all isn’t an elaborate ruse to do just that is it?”

Laughing, she shook her head and her lip twitched up as her attitude relaxed, “No, no. I can promise you, that's not gonna be a problem. Besides… something tells me you can probably handle yourself, and I'm not exactly a force of nature, here.”

“Alrighty then,” he replied, “Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way. Since I was supposed to be gone, I don’t have work tomorrow. You need to head anywhere in town?” he asked as he headed down the hall and opened the small closet. He reemerged with a blanket, “I could give you a lift if you’d like. It wouldn’t be a problem.”

“I think I'm a little ‘car'd’ out, right now. But I tell you what. I make a pretty mean lasagna, so if you get the ingredients, I could whip one up for dinner… It's not much, but I wouldn't feel like such a complete mooch…”

“Say no more. Ingredients for a lasagna coming up,” Adam dropped the blanket on the couch and moved to the counter to pick up his things, “Noodles, sauce, meat, cheese,” he stopped, “Oh! Do you use ricotta or cottage cheese? Mom always made it with cottage cheese. Also, anything else you put in it?”

“Cottage cheese it is… I never mess with a mother's recipe. And everything else sounds about right. Oh! Garlic bread. Can't have lasagna without it.” Smiling, she shrugged, “No self respecting Italian would, any way.”

“Right, who could forget the garlic bread,” he tossed his keys up and snatched them out of the air, “Make yourself comfortable. There’s some drinks in the fridge, and you might be able to find a snack in the pantry. The remotes on the table in front of you,” he snapped his finger before grabbing a pen and scratching something down on the back of an envelope, “Here’s my number. Give me a call if you think of anything else you might need. Essentials even. I’m sure you lost some stuff in that fire.”

Reaching out, Frankie took the number and with a smile, tucked it into her pocket, “Geez… You start thinking about necessities and it’s kinda hard not to freak out that your whole life burned up in the trunk of your deer-assaulted car. Maybe just a toothbrush?”

“Toothbrush it is. You hang tight and I’ll be right back,” Adam stepped toward the door and paused, “Oh, and, Frankie, really glad you’re alright,” he offered her a kind smile.

She reflected the smile with one of her own, which only faded when the door closed behind him, and softly, she muttered, “...Yeah. Me, too…”

Adam was gone for a about an hour when he finally pushed through the door, “Got everything we needed,” he placed the bags of groceries, he decided to carry in all at once, on the counter with a relieved sigh, “somewhere in here is all the ingredients for lasagna, some other things for lunches, and a toothbrush.”

When Adam returned, Frankie rose from where she had sacked out on the couch, slipping her cell phone back into her pocket with a small smile, “Let me help put away, at least. Gotta get accustomed to the locations, anyway, right?”

“Only if you feel up to it, Frankie. It’s been a rough day and I know soreness’ll be an issue soon,” he nodded and pointed with a jerk of his head, “Most of it’ll go in the pantry, but the cold stuff goes in the fridge. That’s important,” he smirked.

“I actually don't feel half as bad as I expected to…” She mused, as she started to unload the bags, a free hand pressed to the bit of butterfly stripping over the small gash near her hairline, “I'm beginning to enter that… glad to be alive stage. Besides… you bought me a toothbrush and you know… saved my life.”

Looking over at him, she grinned, before heading to put away the items in her arms.

“Anyone would have stopped to save your life,” he said, a small smile split his lips, “Just happened to be me,” he shifted through a bag and pulled out a toothbrush, “Speaking Of toothbrush, here it is!”

Placing it on the counter, he went back to emptying bags, “I don’t remember if I asked, did you need to call anyone to let them know what happened?”

“Ah!” Taking the toothbrush, she nodded, slipping it into her back pocket, “Perfect. Thanks. And that’s alright. I talked to my mom while you were out. Let her know I was safe, and being looked after. I may have left out the part where I’m staying in an apartment with a near stranger who could very well be the oddest serial killer in the history of the universe. But I’m banking on you being a nice guy, so…”

“Sure,” he smirked, “just don’t go in the attic or the basement and you’ll be fine,” he smiled wider and gathered up the last of the groceries to put away, “So, since I was was supposed to be on vacation, feel like sightseeing tomorrow, or do you want to play it by ear depending on how sore you are.”

Sticking out her tongue, she returned to putting groceries away with a laugh, “You’re not funny.” Looking back over her shoulder, she smiled a little softer, “I think that sounds like a plan. I’m sure I’ll be alright. Can’t pass up a tour of this fine little town.”

“Little. True. Fine. That’s left up to interpretation. I mean, don’t get me wrong, the people are really nice, but it’s just….I don’t know. To each his own I guess,” Adam replied, “Tell me a little about where you’re from. If you want, of course.”

Chuckling, she moved away from the fridge, to the counters, pulling herself up onto one with a shrug, ankles hooked together, “City life… Not a whole lot to tell, really, if you’ve ever seen one. Noise… crowds… dirt. Traffic. Noise. Did I mention the noise? I dunno… It’s just… it’s ugliness, everywhere. And not just the buildings and cars and trash. But the people. Not like out here… If I’d wrecked like that back home? No one would’ve stopped.”

“That’s not true,” he pulled back, “Someone would have stopped. You could have died if I hadn’t stopped. It really wasn’t that big a deal.”

“Yeah, Adam. That’s the thing, though…” Looking at him, she shook her head, “When you’re in a world where everyone’s too busy and crowded to think about anyone else, it’s not a big deal when someone falls to the wayside. They don’t see people in need.” Smiling, she glanced up at him again, “Maybe that’s why it’s a little bigger deal to me than you think.”

He looked at her a moment and then offered a tight-lipped smile before speaking, “Glad to help,” clearing his throat, Adam passed a hand over his head, “just like if you think you might need anything else while your here, just let me know. I’ll do what I can.”

“You sure you’re real, Adam?” She mused, with a small chuckle, “Cause I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone quite like you…”