Defeating Darkness

[DASH=plum]Kimberly felt a little less nervous when Mrs. Sheppard replied kindly to her, saying that Tom has spoken to his mother about her before. It came as a relief to her, now feeling that they really were friends enough for Tom to mention her to his mother. However, the woman went on to compliment her, saying she was just as beautiful as Tom had described her. That nervous feeling she thought she had lost came back in a wave, blush coming up over her face. "Beautiful...?" Kimberly muttered to herself.. Did Tom really think she was beautiful?

Instantly Tom moved to defend himself, saying he never said that sort of thing. Quickly, realizing what he said, he turned back to Kim, telling her just because he didn't say she was beautiful to his mom didn't mean that he didn't find her beautiful. He was getting flustered, too, and Kim stayed silent for a moment and looked over at Mrs. Sheppard. Kimberly began giggling, realizing his mother was a bit of a trickster. Two could play at that game. "Tom has told me about you, as well, now I know what side of the family he gets his good looks from." Kimberly said, giving Mrs. Sheppard a warm smile.[/DASH]

Tom just gave up, stopped trying to defend himself. With and impassive look on his face he listened whilst he heard Kim reply, saying how now she knew where he got his good looks from, good looks? Bah. Understanding the joke.
His mother smiled at Kim "Tom, you do know how to pick them," She said with a smile, Tom shot his mum a deathly glare "Well, I better let you two love-birds get along, why don't you help her with whatever she's doing?" She suggested, walking around an isle, laughing to herself.

Relief finally finding it's way into him, he looked at Kim, who seemed to have calmed down slightly too. "I'm sorry about that, I could just leave if you don't need any assistance." he said to her, noticing the array of fruits she had in her basket.

[DASH=plum]Tom seemed to give up after his mother succeeded in embarrassing him, and Kim couldn't blame him. She probably would have done the same thing if Laura did something like that. This woman had an odd sense of humor, but once Kimberly got to know her she was sure they would get along just fine. His mother teased them further, calling them love birds as she left, laughing to herself. Why was it that everyone is making suggestions like they should be dating? Was there something going on that she was missing completely?

When the woman left them, the two of them relaxed a bit, having been a little tense around her. "Your mother is quite the character." Kimberly said to Tom with a slight laugh. Tom apologized for his mother's actions and told her he didn't have to help her if she didn't need it. Kimberly looked down at her basket, considering a few things. It wasn't heavy, and she could manage walking back to her house by herself... But the thought of encountering Cole again by herself gave her the chills. "Uh, would you just mind walking me home? I could use the company." She smiled to him.

Kimberly paid for the fruits and veggies Laura had asked for and left the store with Tom. After a few moments of silence Kim sighed, "Listen, uhm, about Cole..." She started slowly, rubbing the back of her neck due to being nervous. "He kind of came onto me.. Pretty strong." Ugh, how was she going to get this out? "I.. Told him I had a boyfriend so that he would back off." Alright, now just spit it out! "He asked me who, and I told him... You. I'm sorry.." Kimberly finally spit out, looking up at Tom with an apologetic look.[/DASH]

Kim told him how she needed someone to walk her home, Tom smiled, glad she hadn't waved him away, he genuinely enjoyed spending time with her, though he sometimes thought he might be annoying her. After she had paid for the food, Tom took the bag out of her hand, insisting he would carry it for her, though reluctant at first, realizing he wouldn't give in she gave it to him.

It was then she told him about how she had gotten Cole to back of of her, how she had told him she was with Tom, Tom stumbled down the path a little "Haha, what?" He said, rather excitedly, this gave Tom a strange feeling inside, this means that she didn't feel attracted to Cole, awesome! "No need to apologize, I would've done the exact same thing if he ca......" Not finishing that he changed it to ".... If I was in your shoes." He looked into her eyes, "So, you're not attracted to him then?" He enquired, adding "I doubt he'll lay off you for long."

[DASH=plum]As they walked out of the shop, Tom asked to carry her bag. Kimberly told him she could manage, but he insisted and she finally gave up and let him hold the bag as they walked. He really was quite the gentleman, holding doors open for her and walking her home. She wondered why in the world a guy like him didn't have a girlfriend. Perhaps all the girls around here were unlikeable? Or maybe he did have a girlfriend and they were just friends hanging out. And if he did that meant saying he was her boyfriend to Cole would be a huge mistake.

When Kimberly told him about what she said to Cole, Tom seemed surprised enough that he stumbled a bit, and laughed. Tom didn't seem mad at all, in fact he sounded a little happy about it all. Was it really that rare for Cole to be rejected? Tom looked at her, asking if she was attracted to Cole or not and she scrunched up her nose. "That guy is repulsive..." Kimberly said truthfully, just the thought of him making her feel like she needed a shower. Tom said he doubted that Cole would leave her alone for long, and Kimberly frowned and groaned. "Really? Even though I told him you were my boyfriend?" She crossed her arms, feeling uncomfortable with the guy on her mind. "He actually asked me if I was a masochist." Kim mentioned, running a finger over one of her stitches.

They were at the edge of town when she spotted him walking out of the shop. Cole hadn't looked up yet to see them but Kimberly's heart jumped out of her chest. Without thinking, Kimberly grabbed Tom's hand, hoping he would see Cole, too, and understand. They walked as if it was normal, hand in hand, but as Cole walked toward them with a weird look on his face, Kimberly tightened her grip on his hand slightly. "Tom, I didn't know you were into S and M." Cole sneered with a wink.[/DASH]

As they continued their conversation, Kim told him how she had found him repulsive, much to Tom's delight. What that meant was, she wasn't the usual "Impressed by big muscles and crappy smooth-talk" girl. "A Masochist, what a douche" he said as they walked, thinking how inconsiderate that was, making a comment like that. Cole was a vile excuse for a human being, and right on queue, there he was, walking out of a shop, no doubt he'd just been with another girl.

Kim grabbed his hand, softly at first, then harder as Cole noticed them and approached, clearly showing her anxiety. Cole was near them now, he made the last few steps very egotistically, clearly trying to show off in front of Kim. Cole made a crude remark, involving Kim's marks, not wanting to start a fight, and probably lose Tom replied, "Cole, you're not wanted here, just find someone else to pester." Cole looked very annoyed at this remark, getting up in Tom's face, enough for the spit out of his mouth to reach his face, and replied, "Tom, I think you've forgotten who I am? You don't speak to me that way, don't forgot, me and my boys know where you live." with that, he gave Kim a wink, and walked off, looking like one leg was slightly shorter than the other, "Swagger" as he like to call it.

Cole turned to look at them as before he turned the corner, and Tom put his arm around Kim and waved at him in response, Cole spat on the floor and turned the corner.
"Damn, that guy never gives up" Tom said to Kim.

( I have a brilliant idea for the next time Cole and Kim meet up. >:) Kim is gonna go all badass. )

[DASH=plum]Tom seemed pretty happy about the fact that she had absolutely no interest in Cole, she caught a glance at the grin on his face when she had called him repulsive. When she told him Cole asked if she was a masochist, he insulted in openly, and honestly Kimberly didn't mind at all. Cole was pretty much the definition of a douche.

Thankfully Tom spotted Cole at the same time Kimberly did, and he made no fuss as Kimberly took hold of his hand. As Cole approached he slowed down and walked in a 'cool guy' kind of way, trying to impress her or something. The only thing it did was make her sick to her stomach. Kim was all for ignoring him and continuing walking but Tom spoke up, telling him to get lost. Cole got frustrated, and got up in Tom's face, threatening him. This made Kimberly mad, and without even thinking she shoved Cole in the chest with her free hand. "Buzz off, cockroach." She growled.

Cole only winked in response and walked away in a way that made him look like he had a wooden leg. The two of them watched as Cole sauntered down the street, turning to take one last look at them. Tom gently placed his arm around her and waved at him while Kimberly gave him a death glare. Finally Cole turned the corner and left their sight, and now the two could continue on the rest of their way. Tom commented on how Cole never gives up and Kimberly scuffed. "Yeah, we'll see about that." Was the only thing she said, knowing exactly how she would deal with him the next time she came face to face with him.

It took an awful lot to make Kimberly mad like that, but when it happened she could get mighty scary. The girl sighed and tossed away her frustration, upset that Tom had to see her act like that. "Let's just forget about it and enjoy the rest of the day." She offered a smile to Tom, not wanting to stay mad for long.[/DASH]

(Haha, okay, can't wait)

Kim told him to forget about the previous encounter and just enjoy the rest of the day, which he intended to, with her, hopefully. They where approaching Laura's house now, he opened the gate for Kim, then the door as the entered, Laura greeted Tom as he entered, and he greeted her back. As Kim went into the kitchen, taking the bag, Tom went into the living room with Laura, "Erm , Laura, I have a request if you don't mind." He popped.
"Oh sure Tom, what is it?" She replied, waiting for a reply.
"Well, I wanted to take Kim to the flower festival next week, but I want it to be a surprise, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell her about it." He whispered, barely loud enough for Laura to hear.

A massive grin formed across her face "Sure, sure. Y'know, she seemed genuinely happy the other night, after spending it with you." She returned, at the same volume. This time, it was Tom's turn to smile, as this was good news. He was glad he could make Kim feel happy, and forget, at least momentarily, the abuse she'd suffered.

[DASH=plum]They approached her home, Tom held the gate open for her and the door to the house as well where Kimberly took the bag of groceries from Tom and headed to the kitchen where she put everything away, completely unaware of the exchange taking place in the living room. Once everything was put away Kimberly let down her hair and kept the hair tie around her wrist. By the time she was done in the kitchen Laura and Tom were already done talking. "Okay, well, Kimmy and I need to make dinner, I'm sure your mom is expecting you home." Laura said to Tom, beginning to lead him to the door.

"Oh, bye Tom," Kimberly smiled to him as he walked toward the door. "Thanks for everything today, see you soon!" She waved before Laura closed the door. The rest of the afternoon the girls made dinner and had enough chocolate to dip all the strawberries she bought today. It was a simple dinner of pork chops, corn, and salad but they were both pretty full by the end of it. They each only ate about two of the strawberries, leaving a ton left over.

A while after dinner Kimberly put on a pair of shorts she didn't mind getting wet and decided she would head out to Willow Lake and relax under the stars. She told Laura where she was going and took about a dozen strawberries with her and left the house before the sun down. Kim had no problem finding the muddy road that lead to the lake, and she was relieved to see no one else was there. She sat on the bench and enjoyed the view while the sun was setting.

She looked out over the lake and saw something interesting. A few fireflies gently floating over the water's surface. Kimberly smiled and kicked off her shoes and socks, hurrying to the water's edge. She slowly walked into the water, only going up to her waist where she tied her shirt up and exposed just a little bit of midriff. The fireflies floated around and one came near her, she snatched it out of the air and opened her hands to watch it crawl over her palm.[/DASH]

Kim waved at him on his way out, Tom waved back saying "Goodbye" back. Tom walked back slowly, appreciating the sun whilst it lasted, then he tripped, or did he? He turned to see Cole, laughing as he walked away. He would've started something there, but stopped, hearing a crackling in hiss pocket. Pulling out his Ipod he looked at the screen, cracked. This annoyed Tom deeply, he loved his music after all, he'd find a way to get him back.

He took a slight detour home, picking some flowers down the mud path to Willow lake, placing them in a vase of water when he got home, his mother wasn't home yet, though she'd brought the shopping back, he decided to but the shopping away and he took a packet of crisps out, salt and vinegar. He then went into the front room, flicking on the TV and watching Mock The Week.

(British show xD)

[DASH=plum]Kimberly enjoyed the warm water and the cute little fireflies, remembering that Tom told her that he hadn't seen fireflies here in a long time. She wondered what brought them back, but her mind wandered back to Tom again. The last time he was here with her, she saw him cry. Looking out over the water she wondered what had caused something like that. Maybe... something bad happened to him? She never remembered him mentioning a father, but maybe he was away often or even left like her mom did. If something like that happened... Kimberly wanted to help him, after all, he had already helped her so much.

The firefly flew out of her hands and into the darkness that was quickly taking over. Kimberly walked out of the lake and over to where she left her things. She picked up the little bag of chocolate dipped strawberries and picked up her shoes, not putting them on since her feet were still wet, and walked barefoot back to the street. The grass along the way dried her feet enough to put her shoes back on, but now that the sun was gone her legs were getting cold. She could not get her mind off of Tom, however, and found herself walking toward his house. Her aunt had made sure she knew which house was Tom's, and the mailbox that read 'Sheppard' on the side confirmed it.

Kimberly walked up to the door and knocked, unaware that Tom was the only one home. She stood outside, cold and feeling stupid that she didn't bring a towel with her and hoped Tom wouldn't mind her just dropping by.[/DASH]

Tom was still watching TV when he heard a knock on the door, he knew it wouldn't be his Mum, as she had rang saying her sister was sick and she would be staying around their house for the night. Apprehensively, he went to the door, upon opening he saw that it was Kim, in wet clothes, shivering. Without waiting for an explanation he said, "Kim! You look cold, come in!" taking her into the living turning their open fire on. He ran upstairs saying, "Mum's not here for the night, her sister's not well." Coming back down with a couple of towels, giving them to her before going into the kitchen and making her some hot chocolate, pacing back into the living room he gave it to her, turned the TV up, took one of the towels and helped to dry her her.

[dash=plum]Thankfully Tom answered the door. Kimberly was shivering at this point, feeling very foolish for not grabbing a towel. Even though only her bottom half was wet she was still freezing. She opened her mouth to explain herself but Tom just mentioned she looked cold and invited her in without hesitation. She kicked off her shoes by the door and followed him into the living room where a fire was going. "Ha, thanks, I'm sorry I dropped in unexpected." Kimberly said with a nervous smile.

Tom went off to get towels, saying that his mom was out for the night due to his aunt feeling ill. Well, at least she didn't have to fear being teased by the woman, but it did cross her mind that they were in his house alone together. Tom tossed her a towel and went to the kitchen to make hot chocolate while Kim dried off her legs, standing close to the fire. By the time he got back Kimberly had to second towel wrapped around her waist and he handed her the warm cup. "Thank you," She said to him with a smile before taking a sip, finding it was just the right temperature. "I was at Willow Lake, that's why I'm wet," Kimberly began to explain, a smile spreading across her face as she was getting to the point. "You told me that there were no fireflies, but there were a few there tonight. It was beautiful."[/dash]

Kim explained to him how there had been at Willow lake, she told him of the fireflies he had seen. He was sure he'd never seen fireflies their before, he thought to himself, as he sat next to her on the sofa, a smile across her face as she told him. "Well, I'm pretty sure I have never seen any there personally, though, I've never been there this late." He replied, getting up to close the curtains before sitting back down again, placing his feet on a footstall, laying his arms across the back of the sofa.

Tom was getting tired now, "If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask, you may as well stay here for the night, it's getting late." he said, wondering why she had chose to come here, rather than go back to her Aunt's, as it was further away, in the opposite direction. IT was then he actually clocked on to the fact that they were alone, he placed his arm around her shoulders, to offer his warmth to her. Not a single vulgar thought crossing his mind, as his head fell back on the sofa, and he fell asleep.

[dash=plum]Tom mentioned that he hadn't seen any fireflies there before, but he hadn't ever been out to the lake this late. He stood up from the couch to close the curtains and a yawn escaped from Kim, not realizing just how sleepy she was. He sat down next to her and spread himself out, getting comfortable. He told her to just ask if she needed anything and that she might as well stay the night, and Kimberly had to agree. She was too tired to try and walk back home. Kimberly took out her phone and shot her Aunt a text about where she was, thankfully receiving a simple message back and not something like "make sure to use protection" or something.

Without much warning, Tom placed his arm over her shoulders, in an attempt to keep her warm, and when she looked up she found that he was already asleep. Kimberly smiled to herself, looking over his facial features closely, she hadn't ever been this close to him before. He looked so peaceful in his sleep, and after a few minutes she placed her head gently onto his shoulder, and soon fell asleep.[/dash]

Light shining in through the curtains awoke Tom the next morning, though Kim was still, fast asleep, during the night she had placed her head on his shoulder. Slowly he got up, careful not to wake her, and turned the TV off as it had been left on all night, exiting the room. He waked upstairs, into his room, changing his clothes, and checking the time, 9am. He was usually up at this time, he checked his pockets, panicking, then he realized he had left his ipod in the jeans he was wearing last night. He pulled it out of them, cursing as he did so, remembering how the screen had smashed. After getting changed he entered the bathroom, checking himself in the mirror, he had a few cuts and grazes on him from where Cole had tripped him. He didn't really mind, he only hoped Kim didn't notice them, proceeding to shave some chin stubble off that had grown over the last couple of days.

[dash=plum]Shortly after Tom got up, Kimberly slowly stirred awake, missing his shoulder as a pillow and the warmth of his arm. A part of her wished it would have lasted longer, or at least enjoyed it while conscious. The house was quiet as she sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and stretched. Silently she wondered where Tom was within the house, realizing she had no real idea where anything was. Slowly she got herself up onto her feet, thankful that her shorts were no longer wet and for the peaceful sleep. Most of her nights consisted of her tossing and turning but last night she hadn't moved at all. Kimberly only then realized that she had not only spent the night over at his house without his mother present but spent it in his arms. A blush crept onto her cheeks and she stared at the floor, wondering if all these people who were insisting they should be a couple weren't crazy at all.. Sure, she liked him, but was it more than friends now?

Kimberly decided that she would slowly find out if this was really a crush she was developing, and pushed it all out of her mind for now. The kitchen was easy enough to find, and after a few moments she located a glass in which she poured orange juice she found in the fridge and walked toward the dinner table where there were three big windows, and she stood in the sun, looking out into the day.[/dash]

Tom heard some noises downstairs as he finished shaving, he noticed the warm spot on his arm, where Kim had been laying, was fading away. He walked down the stairs into the kitchen, finding Kim there fixing herself a drink, walking behind her he gave her a quick jolt making her jump, laugh he said "He sleep-head, have a nice sleep? Did you let Laura know you were here?" Walking over to the kettle and turning it on, ready to make so tea. He walked over to another cupboard pulling out the teabags and the sugar, then to the fridge, pulling out full cream milk, placing them all on the side.

He looked straight at Kim for a moment, as she drank, he thought about how quite beautiful she was, although she had only just woken up, natural beauty. Before she turned and saw him gawking her turned again, looking at the ingredients on the side, "Y'know" He started, with a smile on his face, "We could make some pancakes for breakfast."

[dash=plum]Kimberly finished most of her glass of orange juice as she was enjoying warming herself in the window, a small amount of orange juice still at the bottom of the glass. Without her knowing Tom had sneaked up behind her and gave her a quick jolt in the sides. Kimberly shrieked, almost losing control of her grip on the glass, if it was full it would have been all over the floor. "Why would you do that?" Kim whined as she rubbed her sides where he poked her. Tom just laughed and smiled, asking if she had a nice sleep and if she told Laura where she was. "I told Laura last night before I fell asleep," Kimberly answered, realizing she hadn't answered his first question. "Last night was... nice." She said softly, shyly smiling to herself as Tom was beginning to make tea.

Kimberly finished her glass of orange juice and moved to the sink to rinse out her glass as Tom smiled and suggested they make pancakes for breakfast. She froze for a moment, pondering the last time she had homemade pancakes and couldn't remember. The only ones she had ever had were the ready made kind. Kimberly turned to Tom with a smile, "That sounds great." She thought about pancakes with strawberries and... Oh, she had brought chocolate dipped strawberries here last night! Kim hurriedly walked back into the living room where she found the small pouch of a dozen chocolate strawberries, and they didn't seem to have melted and she sighed with relief.

She brought them back to the kitchen with her with a smile. "I was going to share these with you last night, but I think they would go well with pancakes." She said showing him the strawberries.[/dash]

Tom watched as Kim left the kitchen, wondering if he like her more than a friend, he wasn't sure. Perhaps in the future he would feel more strongly for her, only time could tell, after all, they had just spent the night together. Kim came back with strawberries, wait, chocolate strawberries, telling him how she was going to share them with him last night. However they would be just as nice with pancakes as they would on their own.

Tom nodded his head, agreeing, proceeding to take a mixing bowl out of the cupboard. Putting some flour, salt, and cracking some eggs into it, whipping them together with a manual whisk, "I've always liked cooking" he said with a smile, "Sometimes my mum will teach me a recipe or two" pouring some water into the mixture, wait, he'd forgot something.... "Could you get the milk and pour some into the bowl please?" He asked, politely.