Deep Shadows and Creaking Floors

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Eh, I'm lazy and don't like making more than one trip." He snickered, then started looking around. "Upstairs or down? Everything's dusty anyways, so we'll probably want to clean out a little bit, or we'll be choking—" The young man cut off and looked back. He almost hadn't heard Adam over his own chatter, and as he looked at him, he tilted his head.

"Don't you worry, as long as they're not telling you t' off me, they're just voices. Can't do anythin. Hell, yer probly so scared you're imagining even scarier stuff. S'not unheard of, ya know."

He grinned broadly in the gold light of the candle's flame.

The cold air continued to tease and prickle at Adam, slowly seeming to grow thicker.

Adam chuckled a bit. "Okay then, I'll give you a fair warning if they tell me to take you out. If you keep me in a good mood I might even give you a sixty second headstart." He grinned.

No, so far the voices hadn't made demands. They were just saying weird things he couldn't understand. They didn't seem to fit into the context of the situation. Maybe that was proof of it actually being all in his head. His mind might just hear the wind making noises it wasn't actually making. If that was the case it would have to choose words that were close to the wind sound, they couldn't be too out there, thus they probably wouldn't fit the situation. Okay, that ... that made sense. Probably.

"Let's go upstairs. Heat travels upwards, so the top floor will be best to keep our temperature up." He said, turning towards the stairs. It was too cold down there.

"So, what were you doing before you woke up here? Remember anything special?" He wasn't specifically thinking of suspicious memories, he just wanted to small talk. But if they got some clues to how they got there, that would be great.

The other man laughed at the reassurance, then began to lead upstairs. "Up we go, then. Wanna explore before we pick a room? There's two halls up there, the one where we were, and one on the other side." He then pondered a bit in silence, trying to remember.

"As for me, I don't really remember. Kinda fuzzy." He continued up the stairs as they creaked loudly beneath his feet. The chill in the air seemed not to affect him, but it followed after Adam, breathing right on his ear in the dark house, illuminated by a single candle that cast ever-flickering and shifting shadows with Everest's every movement.

"I have nothing against exploring if it's daytime. Night exploring is not my thing." Adam replied, not caring if he would be called boring or whatever by this man. Though which corridor had they come from again? Quite frankly, Adam had been so afraid in the beginning, he had no idea what turns he had taken.

"I... I think we came from the right hallway." He said pointing. At this point he just forced himself to ignore the cold chills that seemed to follow him around. It was just a draft, he tried to convince himself. "I mean, right is always right, right?" He chuckled nervously. If only that could be true. "I know this house is old, but gosh, it's cold." It was the end of spring and the nights were getting much warmer. How could this house have lower temperature than the outside?

"Ha, fair." Everest shrugged, then looked down either hallway. One of them was on the other side of the picture gallery, and the one to the left was closer, with a door that had deep claw marks on its outside and a few other familiar sights.

Everest began towards the hallway on the right, though, past the small gallery of paintings that spanned the area at the top of the stairs, separated from a fall to the lower floor by only its ancient railing.

"You said this way, right?," Everest asked as he looked back. The shadows brought by candlelight brought demented distortion to his smile and a sense of hunger to his gaze.

The cold breeze paused with a drawn sound of an inhale, but the air didn't move away from Adam: the cold merely lessened.

"Y..Yeah. I think." Heck if he actually kept track of where he was running around. Why were they stuck in such a creepy and cold house? He just wanted to get home already. "So, got any plans for tomorrow? Once you get back to civilization. You thinking bout strangling someone or are you just gonna sleep for the rest of the week?" Keep talking. The more they talked, the less scary things would be.... He hoped.

At this point he was fairly certain his friends hadn't done anything, so screaming for heads was out of the option once he got back. If anything he would definitely go to the police and report this kidnapping.

The other man simply laughed and shook his head. "First thing, I'm gonna hug my sister, then I'm gonna find the best way to profit off this, cuz the best revenge is living well, ya know? If I turn this into money, well, that counts, don't it?"

He shrugged and turned his face forward, then looked down the hall ahead. "Hm, not the same as before, is it? The other had that clawed up door, didn't it? Man, if anything that door is a little creepy."

With a shrug, Everest reached toward a knob, then paused as he realized how full his hands were. "Lil help?" He looked back and laughed. "I'd kick the door, but man, this place is too dusty for that!"

The cold air continued, just one one of Adam's shoulders. It followed and remained close, and as Everest waited for help, something icy and wet dripped onto Adam, too thick to be water.

Status
Not open for further replies.