Decline?

@Nydanna

See, now I'm just tempted to say PROVE IT. ...But I already have a fair share of RP commitments at the moment. >:[
That's easy. Just look at my roleplays. :P

@Nydanna

I was saying I'd be up for RPing with you if I had a little more free time.

Ah. That's a shame. I actually have two slots open that I'll be trying to fill after Wednesday when I get my internet cut on, since two of my rps were just buried in the graveyard, and one is on the way there. >_<

@Nydanna

Maybe it's a thought we can revisit later, if circumstances change. ;P

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
I KNOW WHAT'S WRONG! 8D

The roleplay system flopped, so there's been less roleplays coming out. O__O

ALSO it is the winter season, when we already have less activity than normal. The holiday season is the WORST for roleplays. @___@ It doesn't start picking up until... well... O_O about now and in march.

I've also noticed that people that have big issues finding partners/players/roleplays are not taking enough risks. Up above some people mention trying out people that are better than you so you can learn.... And now I am going to recommend that you try some people that you are wary of. 8D If you ever see a player and you LOVE their ideas, but aren't keen on their writing skills - play with them anyway. You would end up helping them improve their skills and molding another fantastic roleplayer for ALL of us.

There's a lot of good in being a mentor. >:3

Haven't written in an RP in.. A few months. My writing has really gone to shit.

Nothing I do really rekindles the spark anymore..

I KNOW WHAT'S WRONG! 8D

The roleplay system flopped, so there's been less roleplays coming out. O__O

ALSO it is the winter season, when we already have less activity than normal. The holiday season is the WORST for roleplays. @___@ It doesn't start picking up until... well... O_O about now and in march.

I've also noticed that people that have big issues finding partners/players/roleplays are not taking enough risks. Up above some people mention trying out people that are better than you so you can learn.... And now I am going to recommend that you try some people that you are wary of. 8D If you ever see a player and you LOVE their ideas, but aren't keen on their writing skills - play with them anyway. You would end up helping them improve their skills and molding another fantastic roleplayer for ALL of us.

I noticed the forum set up is really confusing.

I noticed the forum set up is really confusing.
Yeah it was a great idea on paper, did not work out in execution. D: But it's getting switched back just as soon as I can schedule a new day.

Yeah it was a great idea on paper, did not work out in execution. D: But it's getting switched back just as soon as I can schedule a new day.

You never know unless you try out stuff

I always figured Iwaku was terrible for getting roleplays off the ground because there's like 50 subcategories divided by genre. Most people aren't going to see the vast majority of games because they're just not visible unless you go through a dozen links, then you have to see something with appealing tags, and then you have to find one with standards you want. It's rarely worth the effort.

This happens quite often (to me) actually. I see ideas I think would be really fantastic to write out, but they fall flat because people are afraid of commas or don't understand that heterographs are a thing. And if you try to explain that, you're "rude." Either way, I've tried mentoring a few times. Once it worked well as the person was actively trying to improve their writing and it ended up being quite fun. Unfortunately, the other times just ended up a hot mess with people dropping out of frustration. I've since sort of lost my taste for it. If there's a thread for mentoring or the like I might give it another shot, but I feel like a colossal dick (not in a good way) just pointing things out to the general public.

I also agree with the general sentiment of length≠quality. I think many people do see it that way though, because I've gotten a lot of "advanced" writing samples that are just walls (with no paragraph breaks) of text that are easily 700-1000 words. Said walls are usually repetitive and lack all punctuation marks save for periods and usually don't accomplish much of...well, anything.

I just...idk. Blah.

Whining makes me feel like such an asshole, but I'm just sort of done with it.

//terrible person

I don't understand why there's hate against someone/something that has walls of text. I love to write wall of text, that flow with the setting and plot; but, don't focus on over detailing things. I write a wall of text, so I don't have to write several 'small' paragraphs per post (by small, I mean like two or three paragraphs). On an average post, I would write around five-eight paragraph or an essay to say.

Such, I don't have the best grammar around; but, I make such that my posts are interesting and worth the reading. I don't like people who bail out of roleplays over 'walls of text', that person should of asked what the other person's post length was or go and look at their past roleplays. I do that all the time to people that I am interested in roleplaying with and I reject some based on their grammar and spelling for past roleplays. And I also rejected some if they often leave roleplays without telling me. I'd rather have someone tell me that I have the worst grammar ever than leave without telling me.

And I use the resumes as well (unlike other roleplay sites that don't have this feature) to check on what the players likes and dislikes.

I disagree with some of your guys' opinions and I agree with others; I want a roleplay (that I made or I am in) to last for a long time). I guess that I am still stuck in the 'Neopets days' (even known I don't know who the user was). I'd rather have someone with a wall of text than someone with three-six sentences.

I should also say that I am no way have a douche or a prestige expectation levels. I am more of an advanced level. I just have different tasts than others.

Reactions: Hana
I don't understand why there's hate against someone/something that has walls of text. I love to write wall of text, that flow with the setting and plot; but, don't focus on over detailing things. I write a wall of text, so I don't have to write several 'small' paragraphs per post (by small, I mean like two or three paragraphs). On an average post, I would write around five-eight paragraph or an essay to say.

Such, I don't have the best grammar around; but, I make such that my posts are interesting and worth the reading. I don't like people who bail out of roleplays over 'walls of text', that person should of asked what the other person's post length was or go and look at their past roleplays. I do that all the time to people that I am interested in roleplaying with and I reject some based on their grammar and spelling for past roleplays. And I also rejected some if they often leave roleplays without telling me. I'd rather have someone tell me that I have the worst grammar ever than leave without telling me.

And I use the resumes as well (unlike other roleplay sites that don't have this feature) to check on what the players likes and dislikes.

I disagree with some of your guys' opinions and I agree with others; I want a roleplay (that I made or I am in) to last for a long time). I guess that I am still stuck in the 'Neopets days' (even known I don't know who the user was). I'd rather have someone with a wall of text than someone with three-six sentences.

I should also say that I am no way have a douche or a prestige expectation levels. I am more of an advanced level. I just have different tasts than others.
And that's okay! Everyone is allowed to have their own preferences. Role-playing is a hobby. It's about having fun. If you have fun writing a lot, then write a lot. If you have fun writing one liners, then write one liners. No one way of role-playing is inherently better than the other. What's important is that you find a partner that shares your likes and dislikes, and that you can get along well with. That's why I wish people would use the writing levels accurately, as well as provide a writing sample in their resumes. That way it's easier for everyone.

Reactions: kixinorbit
Basically, what @Diana said.

Now that Valentine's Day is come and gone, we're in the clear for most major holidays and people will be coming back onto schedule. We'll get that RP norm that we're used to (and forget that goes wonky during the Holiday season). Of course there's Spring and Summer breaks, but for writers, that tends to mean MORE time to write. Yes?

A few things:

1- Get out of your comfort zone and comfort partners. Message interesting-looking and sounding people, and talk to them. We're a social community too, aren't we? Get to know the person a bit before you role-play with them! Learn their style, maybe ask for a thread of theirs so you can get an idea of how they write. Just open up to them, which leads to...

2- Communicate with your partner. I can't emphasize this enough. When it comes to role-playing with people, it's like being in a gorram relationship! You need to be open and willing to share with each other. You need to like them to a degree, at least! If you don't like something in the RP, say it, or feel free to say it. If you feel your "needs" aren't being met, address it. With THAT said...

3- There's no need to stay in a RP you don't like. Even if you like the partner, if the RP is crap, drop it. Tell them you don't feel inspired for it, and you want to take a break from it, make a new RP, or take some distance from one another.

Look, we're all adults. We can take stuff like this seriously, and we also need not be butthurt over these things either. I know full-well I'm not most people's ideal partner, but for those who look, they adore me! And that's alright. I find the RP's I want and am looking for, and I don't mess about with anyone else.

Also, P.S. don't be a douche-bag. Don't be "That Guy." We ALL started somewhere! Talk to them about it, and if you can't bring yourself to, then excuse yourself from the RP. You're allowed to, y'know. I know we do have expectations; we don't want our time wasted, after all. But there's a time and place, and there are ways to handle each situation. Be cool, yeah? Don't be elitest. Iwaku isn't about elitism.

I've tried the 'Give people a chance' approach. Sometimes it works out. Other times I'm literally scarred for life. (That isn't an exaggeration. I literally came across someone who gave me a major case of the creeps and made me never want to search for a partner again. And before anyone asks, there was no OOC weirdness, it was their writing that freaked me the hell out.) Normally I give people a chance, but there are just some things that make me want to bash my own head against a wall.

The biggest problem I see is that people want instant gratification. They want to speed through the story to the good parts, while avoiding character/plot development. It can't all be fighting and lovey dovey stuff. There's got to be a period of time where characters interact with each other, and to grow as characters. That takes time, at least if you're like me it does. I like the fact that a day in my rp lasts a week in real life. I enjoy having a lot going on in my posts, and writing it out in detain (Although lately I've been extremely disappointed in my writing because I feel rushed to get out replies to partners who have been waiting.) My plots aren't simple, because I always have millions of ideas that I want to put into the story before the end. Most people don't have that sort of patience to deal with it, and that's fine, it just means we're not really compatible as partners.

Reactions: kixinorbit
My favourite is when plot/character development actually derails fighting and sexy. The characters suddenly learn something about each other than turns one off, or one of the characters talks their way out of a fight... It's bloody beautiful. <3

About excusing yourself from role-plays: I've had experiences where my partner has flipped the heck out on me because of it, so it's something that really makes me nervous to do. D: Especially when it's because I don't feel like we're compatible as partners due to writing differences. I've been trying my hardest to overcome this and tell folks when I don't have inspiration for a certain role-play (EAT IT ANXIETY), but when it comes to telling someone I don't think we're compatible? So nervous. Usually I don't have a problem dealing with imperfect writing, and if I'm loving the plot and characters it's not something that will stop me, but sometimes it's not something I can brush aside. And then I feel terrible. Honestly I don't know what the right way is to tell someone this. So scary.