Deception

"My petty little war?" She repeated in evident shock. Despite the drunkenness, evident by her slurred words and inability to sit still without swaying a tad, the words and the rudeness she felt came with them wasn't lost on her. She didn't care for the boy at all, hence her disinterest in whether he got punished or not when she used Lysander's girlfriend against him to expose a weak point, but the fact Neotoma himself believed he was owed some sort of favour from her was astonishing.

In her eyes, she was the Queen and he was a mere servant. If she wanted to throw him under the bus, then she ought to be able to do so, given how utterly inconsequential he was to her. She could have anyone sent in to gather information; someone she now had no doubt would be doing a far better job than Neotoma, whose basic, limited information was truly starting to anger the woman more than she liked to admit.

"I really do think that the arrogance of these vile monsters is rubbing off on you. Remember your place, boy. You are here to do a mission for me. If I want to use what you have told me against Lysander, I reserve the right to do so as your Queen. You serve me; not that monster. Is that understood?" She hissed under her breath, green eyes glinting angrily in the relative dimness of the tavern. Only when her third drink arrived did she ease away and let the bubbling tension rest, taking a sip from her glass with an unsubtle purr at the taste.

If there was one thing she liked about this kingdom, it was the alcohol. That alone was worth the trip.

"...Anything else you can tell me or has my trip been an absurd waste of my time, boy?"

Reactions: saturnia pavonia
"It seems to have been a waste, yes. They're hesitant to talk to me, naturally. I've only been here a few days, your majesty." He replied quietly, blushing lightly from startling himself at the confident words. Nervously tapping his claws together, he avoided her eyes as he pulled his hood up to hide his face a bit more to blend in.

"... May I leave now? I don't think me watching you drink is going to help out much with everything, huh?" He reminded with an awkward laugh, his eyes darting to the door. "I can help lead you to the gates. The alcohol here is incredibly potent, I don't want you to be left to get hurt here, yeah? The demons are cruel, right?"

"I have the distinct impression that you being here is an utter waste, actually. I'd like you back in Pruina by the morning; I assume you're smart enough to organise your own transport, and you're certainly much richer after my payments to you for this endeavour. Despite it being a miserable failure, I won't be rude and ask you to return the payments you received. You risked your life coming here, I suppose you're entitled to the gold coins for that alone," the Queen decided abruptly as she reached for another drink, stubbornly refusing to stop before she became too inebriated. If she was being critiqued for the drinking, then stubbornly she felt she ought to continue it out of spite.

Even if she felt herself growing drunker by the second.

"So yes, you have tonight to pack your belongings and make an excuse to that awful demon before heading back to Pruina and resuming your duties as a servant there," she continued, tapping her own sharp, feline-like claws against the table. "Is that understood? I can't continue to allow you to be here and pay you for the pleasure when you're discovering nothing to justify it, Neotoma."

"Well, perhaps that means that you have nothing to worry about? If there's no evidence of a problem, there's no need for a solution, right?" He confirmed as he sank back a bit into the booth, his disappointment being less than subtle as he sank back. He liked the demons, even if they weren't very conventional, not to mention that he just generally thrived in the warmer environment as opposed to the freezing cold of Pruina. He wouldn't get sick and, much like many other lamias, he loved being able to just sit out in the heat and absorb it all, even if he didn't share all of the physical characteristics of his mother.

"... I'll have my things ready by morning. I just ask you to stop while you're ahead, when it comes to the drinking. Your travel back home will be dangerous if you're this drunk, your majesty - perhaps you should call a caravan to bring you back?" Neotoma suggested in genuine concern for the woman, his smile awkward.

"Please don't comment on what I want to do and how much I desire to drink, Neotoma, because it's none of your business. Frankly, I'm appalled at the behaviour you're exhibiting. You're clearly being influenced by the demons and, honestly, I should have pulled you out of this mission earlier. Perhaps then you wouldn't have absorbed their arrogance and rudeness," she snapped in return, her lip curled in disgust at what she thought to be a rude critique of her, rather than the genuine worry from someone who had served under her for several months in Pruina.

"Just get out of my sight-- actually, how about you go and fetch your belongings now and you can come back to Pruina tonight? The less time spent in this abhorrent kingdom, the better for you. I don't want to bring home a servant that thinks it appropriate to speak to his Queen as though she was a mere servant herself - so fetch your items and meet me here within the hour. We'll head back together."

"What? I-... no, I can't do that. I can't leave within the hour, I... I need to formulate a plan to leave without suspicion," he reminded quickly, a blush growing on his cheeks in frustration. Slinking even further into the booth, he shyly got to his feet.

"I'll be ready by morning, I promise. I just need some time to get everything together," he decided and, before the woman could comment, he scurried quickly out of the bar with anxiety. He didn't know what to do, to the surprise of no one, but at least the long walk might be long enough to clear his mind.

Once arriving at the castle, Neotoma was breathing hard as he tried to keep back anxiety attack. It was late so it was no surprise that he was freaking out even more, hoping to talk to Themus at the very least. He needed to come clean and explain everything if he wanted to at least leave them with the chance of being able to thwart the Queen's plans. He felt wanted and he felt his talents were being appreciated, the idea of leaving only made him more worried.

Themus had been tempted to abandon his post and follow the other down to the tavern, naturally curious as to who he had befriended when, admittedly, he hadn't seen Neotoma talk to anyone beside the King and himself. His curiosity, despite being incredibly tempting to follow, was left alone as he wisely remained at work, knowing that he would need to concoct a tonic for his sister when she had finished with her boyfriend doing whatever it was Themus didn't want to imagine them doing.

He was so absorbed in his work, carefully extracting the venom from a curious toad-like creature, that he failed to even notice Neotoma arrive at the workroom, even though the heavy breathing of his anxiety attack ought to have given him away. The stoic demon eventually noticed his presence, not reacting to the attack as he simply placed the creature back into its plastic box, with a surprisingly affectionate smile, before turning back to the Harenaen with an arched brow.

"...I can only assume that your date didn't go too well? Take a seat, let me brew you something to calm you down before you collapse," he tutted, leaping into work mode as he pulled out a few vials of variously coloured powders, adding a few sprinkles to the glass of hot water. "What happened, then? Spill, Neotoma. I'm curious."

"If I tell you, you'll hate me," he stated quickly, holding his face to calm himself down once he took a seat. Having lord to have found a way to explain, his mind went blank the minute he spotted Themus working diligently for his sister. With his horrible posture, leaning forward didn't help with it much.

"Themus, you need to promise you won't get mad at me b-but I'm in big trouble," he explained, his accent jumbling some works. Naturally, it was pretty difficult to translate a language he didn't know muc while he was having a panic attack. I'm dead. I'm so dead. I'm going to be killed no matter what and I just want to stay here, you know?! I didn't mean to start any of this." he spoke quickly in his natural tongue, sniffling as he wiped tears from his face.

Themus wasn't one to show concern, being known for his often robotic, stiff mannerisms and even colder manner of speaking, but even he couldn't help but show a little worry when Neotoma had burst into the workroom and proceeded to display and undoubtedly flustered, panicked manner. He continued making the tonic for him regardless, handing across the bubbling, odd-coloured mixture with a gesture for him to drink it while it continued to bubble and steam.

"It'll calm you a little, I hope. It tastes better than it looks," he promised as he took a seat on the stool sat opposite the Harenaen, tapping his fingers impatiently on his own knees as he tried to conjure up patience, not wanting to pester him into explaining what was going on. He felt that would be rude, though he also decided that Neotoma interrupting his work was rude too, so gave up the attempt at being patient rather quickly.

"Now please tell me what's happening, hm? I won't hate you for it, though it depends what you've done, of course. If you gave my sister the wrong tonic, I'll be irked but mistakes happen. If you accidentally killed a servant, I wouldn't bat an eyelid or feel even a glimmer of anger. So really, what could you have done that'd make me hate you?"

After chugging back the tonic with little question, he held his head to try and calm and ground himself until the potion kicked in. Even when it did and he had relaxed a bit, he was still left shaking and sniffling - perhaps no longer from anxiety but from the guilt that hit him as he tugged his knees to his chest.

"I... okay, yes. So... I-I.... I'm liar," he began weakly through his fingers, only moving his hands to take in the room to make sure it was just him and Themus. "I didn't come here for no reason, I... I was forced here by the Queen of Pruina to spy on you all but I-... I can't tell her anything - I havent told her anything. It's just, you're all so nice to me and I hate it in Pruina but I ran out of funds to travel and I've been there f-for a few months working as a servant. She promised me money to be able to leave Pruina for good if I came here and gave away information b-but... but I like it here, I like you." He urged, covering his face once again out of embarrassment and fear of getting hurt if Themus decided he wanted to unleash his anger at the news.

"I promise I didn't tell her anything that would hurt anyone. I-I... I'm sorry. Now she wants me to go back but I don't want to leave because I like it here, I can learn here and not just sit in a cold hut all the time." He whimpered, the sniffling only intensifying.

As stoical as he was, Themus' immediate reaction was to smile, though that was only because he assumed that this was a joke. A very well constructed joke that, with the emotional sniffling, was very convincing, but the demon found it difficult to believe that there was any truth in it. For several painfully long seconds, he even managed a laugh (something that was almost never heard from him) and continued to smile, proceeding to chuckle beneath his breath as he turned his back to brew himself some tea.

It was only when the other didn't join in the laughter that he fell silent again, inspecting him calmly from where he was standing until the truth really hit him: this wasn't a joke and everything the emotional Harenaen had reluctantly admitted to was unbelievably true. As soon as that realisation hit him, the demon struggled to really understand how to react to it. He was angry, naturally, furious in fact, but he was far too shocked to even communicate that.

"...You're a spy. For Lysander's greatest enemy. That's... certainly... news to me. You convinced us all, I can guarantee you that. Nobody suspected a thing, so... perhaps you should go into the theatre. You'd excel in that field, you're a wonderful actor," he murmured under his breath as he returned to his tea, his broad shoulders stiff as his body language, tense and angry, contradicted the calmness of his tone. He wasn't someone who was every visibly angry, or visibly showing any sort of emotion, leaving that to Lysander, but he did have the advantage over the other man because of that. There was always something considered creepy about Themus because of his lack of emotional responses which, when combined with a stature that hit the 7'0" mark, taller than even Lysander, often unnerved those that didn't know him.

He hadn't wished to intimidate or scare Neotoma, hence his efforts to bring him into his work and teach him what he knew, but any efforts to accommodate him and make him less likely to grow weary of the great height difference between them was hardly his priority now, as evidenced by him stepping closer and looming over the smaller man without even attempting to make this easier for him.

"...Lysander needs to know about this. I assume that you were on your way to inform him of your deceit? I'm angry, furious really, but I'm more disappointed than anything else. You... I let you go near my fucking sister; I allowed you to help treat her. I ought to drag you to the cells right now, but Lysander has the authority to do that; not me, unfortunately."

"I-I'm really sorry, Themus. I didnt intend to hurt anyone and I lied to her as much as possible, I promise! I like it here, quite a bit, I don't want to get kicked out of here. Lysander - He might kill me! I don't know what he'll do, I... this isn't how I was expecting to die, I was at least hoping I could see my mother again one more time."

"I'm sorry, Themus. I'm - I've been genuine outside of that, I promise. I like you and Lysander and... I'm just - please don't send me to the cells. If you do, it might start a war a-and that would be dangerous, right?" He meekly reminded, his eyes taking in the demon as he began to grow anxious again. He tried everything he could not to have another panic attack but it was hard when the 7 even man above him was clearly upset. He could defend himself if need be by using his magic but it was untapped and hardly practiced outside of his potions. He wasn't a fighter and the only times he ever 'fought' anything was when he hunted for food.

"Starting a war is precisely what Lysander wants, or haven't you been listening? I'm sure you've been telling that woman all about our plans. I bet you even told her about my sister, which I imagine she'll use to get to Lysander. Maybe you even told her about me and how, because I don't like to involve myself in violence and because I'm close to the King, I'd be an easy target that can be used to expose his softer side and make him vulnerable - I don't believe that you kept your mouth shut about this," he remarked bitterly as his hands, clenched at his sides, unravelled from their fists. He was furious, but he wasn't a fighter, and nor did he like to observe violence. Fights were often put on for Lysander to observe for his own entertainment, with soldiers often being the fighters chosen, but Themus had always declined attending the gladiator matches.

Even now, when he had a right to be mad, he wanted to resolve it with words, rather than his fists. He was a large man, as most demons tended to be, and he could easily break the other's jaw or his skull if he chose to lash out. Neotoma, therefore, was fortunate that he had confided in the one demon close to Lysander who wasn't too fond of fighting.

"What do you propose I do? Not tell my best friend that you're deceiving us all? I will not withhold something of this magnitude from him. You mean nothing to me now, I don't care if he throws you in the cells or sends you to the gallows. You deserve to hang. I'm not fond of capital punishment, but... you certainly fit the criteria, deceiving the King and acting against him like this."

Now that he was once again growing emotional, it was hard to pick out words but what he did hear was gallows. Swallowing hard, the Harenaen climbed from the chair. He didn't want to run and have guards called on him but he definitely didn't want rock stay in the room any longer, not when he was upset as he was.

"I... I'll talk to him myself, you can come with me if you want to prove that I'm telling the truth. I didn't want to lie and I didn't want to slip out without telling you. Isn't... isn't that proof that I care about you guys? If I didn't, i... I wouldn't be trying to find a cure for your sister. You are all the closest things I've had to friends since I was a child," he admitted, his voice croaking. It was pathetic, to have these people he hardly knew be what he thought as his closest friends but the other servants in Pruina rarely spoke to him and the life of a nomad is naturally pretty lonely. Nervously tapping his claws together, he adjusted the weight on his feet in discomfort as he slowly inches towards the door.

Themus could have watched the other inch his way upstairs to inform Lysander of his treachery, and up until he watched him head for the door, he had decided to himself that Neotoma deserved every punishment that was inevitably heading his way. He deserved to rot in a cell or even killed for deceiving his way into the castle and using them for information. Regardless of the fact he hadn't given away anything, he had arrived in their land with that intent and had proceeded to lie about the reasons he was there to the King, which was a severe crime in and of itself.

Yet, as he watched him head for the door, he was hit with a sudden urge to stop him, reaching forward for his wrist before he even realised what he was doing. His eyes glanced down at the automatic reaction, grimacing as he quickly dropped his hand before the moment grew awkward.

"...He will kill you," he reminded as he made a point to shut the door before the Harenaen could head out, motioning him back to his seat. "I... don't want your death on my conscience. What Lysander doesn't know can't hurt him, assuming you... cut ties with this Queen. She'll be dead soon enough when Lysander commences his attack. Theoretically, he never needs to know of your... deceit."

"You would do that? You wouldn't rather I just... that I just go and tell the truth?" He confirmed, having jumped a tad when he felt his arm grabbed. For all he knew in that moment, he could be personally dragged out by Themus to be yelled at. To instead be essentially saved by the doctor clearly left him confused, his brow narrowed. His face immediately was lined with a blush by the kindness he was shown and he couldn't help but smile meekly. He forced back the urge to grin and tug the other into a tight hug... but he knew that wasn't going to happen.

"I don't know what to tell her," he admitted quietly now that he had once again calmed down. "I don't know what to do, Themus. Do I just not show up? She'll get angry - I don't want you to think that I'm important to her. I just... i just happened to be passing by and she offered me money," he reminded firmly.

"Let her get angry then. Lysander won't believe that she sent you here, even if she reveals it to him. He'll believe it only if you told him, so keep your mouth shut and let that witch of a woman get angry. You belong here, even I can see how much you're thriving here. And while I've lost trust for you, I also realise that my sister stands the best chance of getting better with you working at my side, so yes, I'd keep quiet if it meant she stood a chance of recovery, with you assisting me. Of course, you'll need to continue to ply Lysander with information about the kingdoms; he needs it for his plans. I assume you won't hold back from telling him everything you know about the Pruinaen Queen? You may as well inform him of all her secrets you know of; it's the least you could do, given the circumstances," he nodded, returning to his tea as he finally found the time to finish off the brewing process, taking the steaming cup to his lips with apparently no problem - it didn't burn him as it would do anyone outside his kingdom, sipping at the hot liquid with nothing but a sight and a faint smile.

"Obviously this may all backfire and he may end up believing her if she was to tell him, but that's a risk you'll need to take," he pointed out, resting himself back down on the stool as his bones cracked loudly from doing so, a result of standing up on his feet most hours of the day. "We are... friends, I suppose. And loyalty is something we value in this kingdom. You may have acted treacherously, but you also helped my sister and... opened my eyes up to new methods and new remedies. I like to believe that you were forced into this and had no choice but to obey commands, hm?"

"It was the only way I was going to be able to leave Pruina for good and travel again. I do want to return to Harenae soon - I want to see my mother again. I wish to check up on her, see if she's doing well without me," he admitted, his black eyes avoiding his as he cringed at the memory. In his mind, it was the only way to be able to feel comfortable and not have to experience the pain of missing her son in front of him.

"I never intended to stay in Pruina as long as I was. I can't handle the cold, my blood wasn't meant for it - it's one of the reasons I do so well here. My bones ache and I move slower, but here? This place is fantastic. A bit more humid than Harenae but it's still nice," he praised, looking down at his scales arm and claws. In Pruina, he went months not seeing his skin whatsoever, so to be able to breathe was a feeling he wanted to revel in.

"...Oh yes, Lysander did mention that you loved your mother. It's a strange concept to me, I suppose. Lysander's mother wasn't very loving, and my own was... a nightmare, really. Though admittedly, Imogen suffered her wrath more than I did. Our father tended to dislike me more than Imogen, though, so we both suffered - all I'm saying is that I find it extraordinary you love your mother. I can't relate, really," he laughed under his breath, briefly shaking his head to himself. It wasn't a demon thing, for parents to detach themselves from their children - he had just been that his own parents had been far from capable in raising him and his sister.

"I suppose the best thing to do is to carry on as normal. I can overlook your treachery, assuming you ignore her demands of her and remain loyal to us. I... certainly can offer you another chance. Lysander won't need to know anything, which is good because he sees you as integral to his plans. He also wants to have sex with you, as if that wasn't already obvious," he snorted, almost bitter as his jaw clenched tightly, annoyed with himself for even bringing it up.

"He just tends to take my friends from me and keep them as his own, is all. I don't see you as my property, of course not, but I lie to think we're friends, and... when he gets his hands on you, I suppose I'll barely see you. It happens a lot. I've had three apprentices working alongside me who are all now gentlemen in Lysander's society, attending his fancy parties and screwing him when he wants them to. It's-- I sound horribly bitter about it, but I am. It's just inevitable that you'll be his new pet soon enough and I'll have to find another apprentice-- or co-worker, or whatever."

"Well, I enjoy your presence. You're smart and enjoy the things I do, which is nice. I've never met another person interested in potions and medicine - though in other people's defense, he didn't really interact with anyone during his travels. Rubbing the spot on his arm that had been gripped, he used said arm to rub away any of the extra tears. He wasn't afraid to be emotional when he was alone but when there was a 7' demon in his presence, he felt awkward being as upset as he was.

Grabbing a stool that was disregarded in the corner, he tugged it over to take a seat beside the doctor. Taking in the scattered ingredients, he offered a reassuring smile before reaching to inspect a deep red root. He had left his notebook back in his room but the look of the ingredient was equally creepy and cute.

"Why? Why does he do that? Taking your friends away. That's, ah- that's the right word, right? We're definitely friends with each other, at least in my mind. I don't know what the past friends were but I'm sure they were jerks. I guess I shouldn't judge these people, I've never met them."