Decaying: Regnum - Private School of the Arts and Sciences

• Thread starter MaladaptiveDaydreamer
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MaladaptiveDaydreamer

Original poster
Regnum - Private Secondary School of the Arts and Sciences, a place for young talents to prosper and develop. It provides top-notch education taught by some of Britain's best educators and scholars, as well as countless of activities and clubs for your child to join that will enable it to broaden its horizons and better understand this world. Some of the facilities on campus are a swimming pool, library, performance hall, TV studio, large gym, dining hall, therapy room, labs, computer rooms as well as dormitories for the different houses, given the fact that Regnum serves the purpose of a boarding institution. Our school gives your children the chance to develop their skills in the arts, crafts, languages, cultures and sciences while also improving their social skills through our various programs within the country as well as abroad.

The main building has three floors. On the first there are located the class rooms filled with different project made by the children themselves, two labs, the nursery, performance hall where we hold plays and concerts carried out by groups led by seniors, dining hall where healthy food is served so as to provide everyone with a balanced diet, restrooms as well as councillor's office. Furthermore, the second one houses the teacher's lounge, more class rooms, two labs, TV studio in which movies and projects made or chosen by our students are projected, therapy room and computer rooms that are opened at all times. On the third and last floor are situated the arts studio adorned by the various as well as wonderful works of our students, lecture room in which we hold visits by renowned individuals weekly, and the headmaster's office.

The already mentioned pool as well as gymnasium are located outside the main building in their own separate structures. In order for one to reach them there are paths from the main entrance surrounded by lush vegetation planted and grown by our own students that tend to them everyday.

The dormitories are separated into houses that are located around the school. On the right are the two ones in which the girl reside: Abeo and Basium, while, accordingly to the left, are the boy's places of residence: Callidus and Denuo.
This is Regnum - Secondary Private School of the Arts and Sciences... or at least what it used to be.
3867949754_2fc10cd0a8.jpg

Nowadays it quite differs from its past glorious visage. The construction is practically falling apart, with the last floor being quite dangerous and covered in gaping holes all over, it would also seem that nature is slowly yet steadily consuming all - plants have began pushing through brick and tiles while moss devours corners and pillars, water has began to enter through holes and crevices, forming little puddles here and there in which float random notes, documents... the paint has started to fall off in flakes as though it was snow and the projects, drawings and so on that once were plastered over the walls as decorations of pride are now scatted around the site, dirtied, torn and faded, serving as a creepy reminder of how this sad structure used to be filled with laughter and joy. The outside isn't any better. Weeds have taken over the paths and destroyed all those plants that the hundreds of small hands had planted and gently touched. There is shattered glass on the ground near the school that looks as if it were a barrier of some sort, yet in reality those are only the leftovers of broken windows that are now all boarded up, not allowing any sunlight into this condemned place. It doesn't matter anyway, since enough rays already get through thanks to the innumerable cracks and holes. The other facilities such as the pool are even worse, the roof having collapsed in some places. And yet, somehow, there are sites left intact. Such are the library as well as one of the girl dormitories: that of the house of Basium. The decaying seems to have... spared those places, like it didn't have control over them...
wpid-wp-1404984331792.jpeg

Anyway, it was no surprised that the school is in such horrid shape given the fact that it was abandoned some years ago due to a chain of unfortunate events that nobody knows for sure about. What happened at this place has always been a mystery and will probably remain that way. The only thing that is for sure is that there occurred a tragedy that resulted in the deaths of many students and teachers alike. Some people say one day a kid just snapped and went on a killing spree around the campus with a gun he had somehow got his hands on. Others claim that it was the headmaster who dirties his hands and latter on committed suicide. A third theory is that some bizarre suicide happened and then others followed, as though something had possessed the students. But that is a "supernatural" suggestion... Anyway, that doesn't really matter. A conclusion to the story is not needed, the past is better left covered in a thick layer of dust, also preferably locked in a wooden chest then burned. What good will it do to dig up this god forsaken place's secrets. There are only rotting skeletons in the closet, one last scream of agony frozen on their faces. It's not going to change the fact that there were bodies adoring the school like decorations some time ago and that dried up blood can still be seen splattered around, almost like a decoration. Most of all, it will not change the public's opinion that this decaying wreck is haunted.

It all started back when a group of teens entered it in order to go urban exploring. So foolish they were, to enter a construction as unstable and large as this! Losing oneself in it is something bound to happen, while suffering an injury due to a fallen object, a hole in the floor, rotten furniture is even more possible. However, nothing of such sorts happened to the kids that had trespassed on this decaying wreck. Actually, no one really knows what happened to them. No, not because they did not return. Quite the contrary. They all made it back, dirtied and tired, with cuts and bruises, yet still alive... The only issue was their mental state. Most members of the group seemed to have... lost their mind. They did not speak or communicate, only mumbled to themselves, their unblinking eyes staring into the nothingness, past all that is material and real. And, upon the school being mentioned, they would suffer episodes of emotional instability, screaming their lungs out and begging, wheezing, barely able to take a breath. Fortunately enough, latter on some recovered. They either suppressed their memories and wiped out anything associated with Regnum from their brain, while others still suffer when thinking back on the emotions they experienced after leaving that forsaken place. Of course, some were not as lucky and ultimately ended up dead or in an institution, being monitored and cared for 24/7, not functioning as a proper human being should.
Summers-almost-here-abandoned-school-in-Detroit.jpg

Of course, this doesn't matter as well. What happened cannot be erased. Time cannot be reversed. Yet, what is of relevance is that the demise of those teenagers, their childish deed, made others fear that school and call it "cursed", "haunted", "hell", even though the kids themselves could not remember what happened inside the walls of Regnum... Nevertheless, together with terror, there was sparked curiosity. Nowadays others attempt venturing into the site to prove their bravery, to impress, to win, to be looked up to. Some never make it out, others are scared for life and third exit as soon as they enter. No one has actually been able to stay there for over 2 weeks. But you are hoping to beat that, to survive for a whole month. All the stories about ghosts and monsters are just your average urban legends and creepy tales. There is nothing in there except decay and memories. Plus, you made a bet that involves a lot of money. It's totally worth it, isn't it?

Okay so the characters for the roleplay can be other things besides humans. This is to say there are going to be monsters and entities (harmless, helpful or homicidal). An rper can totally have more than one personage!

Humans

General Characteristics
Name:
Nicknames:

Sexuality:
Birth date:

Outlook Characteristics
Height:
Weight:
Appearance: (here, please, also mention any prominent or eye-catching features your character possesses. Also, you can totally include a picture together with the description)
Clothing:
Accessories: (if they wear none then say so or either just remove this point entirely)

Personality Characteristics
Personality:
Attitude towards the "haunted school": (do they believe that it is haunted? what made them even enter it in the first place?)
Curiosities: (any particular habits or mannerisms your characters has (examples would be chewing on one's nails, tapping with their fingers when nervous, saying some word or phrase a lot, etc.))

Background Characteristics
Birth place: (it would be better if both country and city are listed, though the latter is merely optional)
History:

Other
Things they brought along: (they are going to be staying for a month, so I bet they prepared themselves beforehand. What did they choose to take?)
Powers: (this is only optional and stands for characters that have some "supernatural" abilities. Don't go too overboard on this one. The skills I am referring to are, for example, being able to sense spiritual presence, communicating and seeing entities, having an acute 6th sense, etc. If your persona is devoid of any powers, then delete this point)

Monsters and Entities

General Characteristics
Name:
Nicknames: (ways they refer to themselves are also included in here)

Gender: (not limited to female and male... just sayin'... Also, not having one is completely okay)

Outlook Characteristics (you can make all the points below completely inhuman and abnormal. The being may not even possess a shape so there aren't any limitations to this)
Height:
Appearance:
Clothing: (if they wear none then say so or either just remove this point entirely)
Accessories: (if they wear none then say so or either just remove this point entirely)

Personality:
Attitude towards humans: (are they helpful, harmless, homicidal, etc.? what do they think of humans in general?)

Background Characteristics (you can choose to share they back story, though it is not required. If no, them delete the section)
Birth place: (it would be better if both country and city are listed, though the latter is merely optional)
History:

Other
Powers: (this is only optional and stands for characters that have some "supernatural" abilities. If not - delete section)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any question, please, do not be shy and ask. I will answer them as best as I can. Also, if anyone has any ideas related to the story and plot, do voice them. I would love to hear them!

I just have three questions: is there an enforced post length? Will we have a certain number of posts we have to keep up with (like, once per day or something)? How long do you think this will be open?

I just have three questions: is there an enforced post length? Will we have a certain number of posts we have to keep up with (like, once per day or something)? How long do you think this will be open?

To answer your questions:
1. I guess a paragraph would be the minimum length, though I would like to focus on quality over quantity.
2. No, there will not be a number of post to keep up with. I guess posting once a day would be favourable, though I realize that most people (including myself) have quite a busy schedule and thus will take that into consideration.
3. Not sure how long this will be opened. I guess until there are a good amount of characters. However, at this point, I am unable to give a certain number.

General Characteristics
Name: Reynard Driscoll
Nicknames: Rey
Sexuality: Undecided
Birth date: June 21

Outlook Characteristics
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 141 lb.
Appearance: Tan skin with freckles on his face, brown hair and hazel eyes, slightly pronounced muscles
Clothing: He wears a blue T-shirt and black jeans with white socks and brown sneakers.
Accessories: He wears a dark purple digital watch on his right wrist.

Personality: He's pretty impulsive; most of the time, he'll do the first thing that comes to mind, not spending much time to think about it. He also believes very strongly in his moral compass. If people are fighting, he's the first guy to step in and try to patch things up. While this has given him a nice reputation, more often than not, it also gets him a punch or two in the face. He isn't particularly smart, and he's not afraid to say it.
Attitude towards the "haunted school": He's honestly on the fence when it comes to supernatural things, but he pretends not to believe in them.
Curiosities: His foot taps to the beat when he's listening to music, but if he isn't, he might start tapping it when he's bored.

Birth place: America
History: Ever since he was young, he wanted to get into sports. His father was enthusiastic about them, and his mother was even more so, so perhaps it was only natural. He joined multiple sports teams, eventually learning that he was best suited for baseball. While he wasn't the best player on his high school or college teams, he wasn't the worst either, and had his own minor achievements. However, he mainly studied culinary science and did surprisingly well. He was recently fired from a restaurant for excessive tardiness, so he is a bit short on cash at the moment.

Other
Things they brought along: He bought some takeout meals to be eaten within the first few days and about 20 gallons of water. He also has a baseball bat, in case an intruder or something comes in, and an iPod for his music.

I'll also be adding an entity later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Professor Objection, nice! I like your character so he is totally accepted! By the way, I forgot to list this in the appearance but including a picture together with the description is also an option.

Thanks for the answers.

Hopefully this is quality enough; if not, this will definitely be worth stalking. It really seems interesting.

General Characteristics
Name: William Richard
Nicknames: Will, Liam
Sexuality: Bisexual
Birth date: December 11

Outlook Characteristics
Height: 5'8"/173cm
Weight: 160lbs/72.57kg
Appearance: He has wide eyes that are dull brown in color. His straight, dark brown hair is shoulder-length and worn in a ponytail. He has an athletic build and tanned skin. There is a tattoo of the letters "M" and "W" on the back of his neck, with the M on top of the W, separated by a line, making the W look like a reflection of the M. WT.png
Clothing: He wears a white button-up shirt, with the top few undone, over a grey t-shirt, and dark-colored jeans.

Personality: An affable and friendly guy who's too loyal for his own good. He's rather easy-going, but not too much, still caring about what others think of him, among other things. He has a love of horror movies and other media, which has somewhat desensitized him to the extremely mild stuff. His attitude towards other people is friendly, and he's the type to get roped into hanging with the "wrong crowd," so to speak. He's still a human, however, and as such, is welcome to promises of money and fame, and often acts before thinking.
Attitude towards the "haunted school": He believes it's haunted but doesn't really think it'll be too dangerous. He's only there due to a promise he made to a friend, and the ever tempting promise of money.
Curiosities: Uses the words "so" and "yeah" a lot, along with the phrase "so, yeah." He doesn't curse much, but when he does, tends to be rather tame compared to most.

Birth place: U.S.A.
History: In his youth, he made many friends due to his friendliness, although that would later go on to cost him a few once he entered adolescence. A sport he enjoyed since young has been running. He moved to Britain when he was 16, but not without his friends knowing. One of his friends had been a supernatural fanatic and had been researching Regnum, and before moving, Will made a promise with them to visit Regnum at least once. He's still getting a hold on British slang and culture, and is undoubtedly American.

Other
Things they brought along: As many Super Noodles packs and flasks of water as can fit in a messenger bag. He also brought his phone, as well as some stationary and a few pencils to write stuff down.
Powers: Can sense some spiritual presence

@Cyan, great character! Accepted.

Woah, you guys are already done with your character sheets while I am still standing here, thinking up a character...

I'm interested in joining. I shall get my CS some as soon as possible. ^^

I have two character ideas... I dunno which one to pick. ;_; One would be an urban legend/horror story otaku, the other one would be a really curious and adventurous guy...

Why not both? :D

I'm definitely in. Gonna put up both a human sheet and an entity sheet, I think. I'll have up them up as soon as I can!

• Love
Reactions: Gladis
Why not both? :D

I'm definitely in. Gonna put up both a human sheet and an entity sheet, I think. I'll have up them up as soon as I can!

I might just. XD

Human

General Characteristics
Name: Alfred Jameson
Nicknames: Fred
Sexuality: Straight, Demisexual
Birth date: April 17
Outlook Characteristics
Height: 6'2
Weight: 175 lbs
Appearance: Alfred Jameson is a tallish young man of about 6 ft in height. He has a dazzling smile, and the way he carries himself reeks of confidence, not showing the fear and uncertainty that resides within him. His dark skin makes a curious combination with his bright blue eyes, though he wears colored contacts to avoid the questions he is constantly asked. With a wide nose and strong brow, he is already a conspicuous man.
Clothing: A pair of beige jeans, stylish basketball sneakers, and a long sleeved polo.
Accessories: A crucifix he never takes off and a snapback hat.
Personality:
Attitude towards the "haunted school": Alfred is so afraid of the haunted house, it's hard to describe. He never wanted to go in the first place, it is only the promise of money that keeps him here.
Curiosities:Usually, the more he wants to hid his fear, the tougher he will act. Being in the school has brung out the religiousness within him, and he is constantly fingering at his crucifix and mutter prayers.
Birth place: Soundview, Bronx, New York City, New York, USA. (Soundview is an area of the bronx)
History: Alfred Jameson was born to Michelle and Martin Jameson in Albert Einstein hospital. Growing up in Soundview, he lived in the housing projects, the large apartment buildings characteristic of New York. A deeply superstitious person, he never played anything that had to do with ghosts, or the such. When one of his classmates in school claimed she had a pentagram in her house, he immediately stopped speaking with her. Though not overly religious, he does go to church on a regular basis, and prays. His friend Paul had told him about the contest, and encouraged him to join.
Other
Things they brought along: Basic Hygienics, cell phone, bible, a couple changes of clothes, a couple books.
Powers: He has a deep sense of evil in this place, and this feeling deepens into something worse when something otherworldly is nearby.

Entity
General Characteristics
Name: Bartholomew Jedynak III
Nicknames: (ways they refer to themselves are also included in here)
Gender: (not limited to female and male... just sayin'... Also, not having one is completely okay)
Outlook Characteristics A young blonde boy, perhaps 11 years old?
Height: 5'
Appearance:
Clothing: The garb commonly worn by a youth in the early 20th century.
Personality: A curious boy, very innocent, and frightened by the malevolent spirits who also inhabit the area.
Attitude towards humans: More neutral/helpful. He finds them to be curious nowadays, compared to his time.
Birth place: Cracow, Poland
History:An immigrant from Poland, Bartholomew was a very gifted boy, and was sent to Regnum. However, in an accident where one of the new Ford cars malfunctioned, he was killed outside the school.

Let me know if you want me to change anything! I'll have an entity sheet up probably tomorrow.

General Characteristics

Name: Silex Amoro

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Birth date: August 30

Outlook Characteristics

Height:
6'0"

Weight:
157 lbs.

Appearance:
With all the stress in his life, not to mention all the time he spends indoors, Silex has not aged well. His skin is pale and premature wrinkles line his cold, black eyes. His hair is just as dark and reaches his shoulders. It tends to look slightly greasy, and the bold white skunk stripe running down the side doesn't exactly call attention away. Even his hands tell much of his storied past: they are bony, the knuckles stark against his skin, but his fingers move with deadly precision, not a tremble in sight.

Clothing:
Silex prefers to dress professionally at all times, even when the situation doesn't really call for it. In fact he is currently wearing a midnight blue suit jacket with a black tie to match, along with white dress slacks and red slip-on shoes. Quite the contrasting set, but he likes to call attention to himself. His suit jacket has small bloodstains, but they're hard to see due to the color.

Personality: Silex is a cool-headed pragmatic scholar who believes that everything has a rational explanation, even if that explanation is supernatural. He is open to the idea of magic, but believes that magic must have a series of fundamental laws governing it. Everything is treated like a science. He is not afraid to hurt others in the name of knowledge, and in fact he has done exactly that on multiple occasions.

Attitude towards the "haunted school": Haunted or not, something is harming these people, and Silex is going to get to the bottom of it. He could also very much use the money for his experiments.

Curiosities: Silex has a tendency to be rather loquacious. He finds that such a formal manner of speech tends to make others subconsciously respect him.

Birth place: Silex grew up in a small town in Arkansas.

History: Silex was born into a poor and highly conservative family. The Amoros were about as traditional as they come, shunning everything but pure Christian ideologies and raising their son to be a nice young boy who would always listen and never rebel. He didn't take well to their strict parenting style, however, and spent most of his time in his room reading increasingly advanced books about all sorts of nonfictional topics. His parents weren't too happy about this.

When Silex was 18 years old, his parents produced another child, a girl named Lyra. In order to teach Silex to respect and care for his family, they made him do most of the care for his newborn sister. Silex did his best, but when Lyra was fifteen, his overprotective tendencies finally got to the shy, mousy girl, and she ran away from home in a final act of quiet defiance.

Heartbroken, Silex withdrew further into his studies. He realized that he learns best through experience and often performs experiments on live subjects. At first, he only used animals that he could capture from a nearby forest, but it wasn't too long before he moved up to humans. Incidentally, Silex has a lot of blood on his hands, but he has yet to be caught.

Other

Things they brought along: Seven changes of clothes (most of them suits), detergent sticks, assorted toiletries and other basic necessities, two blank notebooks, several pens of various colors, a box of matches, 30 days of military rations and 7 days of bottled water, a portable water filtration kit, a small box of latex gloves, and a large, well-sharpened knife.

I think I've got a fun idea for an entity bubbling around in my head somewhere.. Will come and check back in when I'm not so sleeeeeeeepy

A very attractive premise.

Greatly interested, though it is yet to be seen as for whether circumstances will allow me to participate in this.

Best of luck to the carrying out of this story regardless. Will hopefully soon reply with more information (and possibly a character sheet).

General Characteristics
Name: Jordan Byrd
Nicknames: The other entities call her "The Drama Kid", much to her annoyance.

Outlook Characteristics
ProfessorObjection_zps2b675de2.png
Height: 5'5"
Appearance: A girl no older than 15, fair and unblemished skin, straight red hair tied back in a ponytail, one brown eye and one yellow eye
Clothing: She wears a black ankle-length coat over a brown suit with a blue tie and brown pants. Her dress shoes are black.
Accessories: A small black top hat

Personality: She seems quiet and kind, choosing not to bring too much attention to herself. However, there are points in time in which she can seem downright sadistic, but these are few and far between.
Attitude towards humans: Helpful, but only when someone needs her help, neutral otherwise. She dislikes the other entities, remembering how she was treated when she was still alive, and it seems nonsensical to her to want someone dead merely because they are alive. On the other hand, she does not fully trust anyone, so she prefers to observe the humans before doing anything else.

Birth place: Vancouver, Canada
History: She was a relatively smart child throughout her life, but none of her classmates seemed to ever truly understand her. Some teased her for various reasons, so she ended up keeping to herself quite a bit. Her parents, worried that her adversity to social situations would affect her negatively, begged her to join some club that would require her to speak. This is what caused her to join the drama club (the only social club with a spot left), and she learned that it was surprisingly enjoyable. People often treated her characters very differently from the real her, and when she fully immersed herself into the role, it was hard not to have fun. She was apparently good at it, too: for her last play, she was given the lead role, a male British detective. But on the night of the play, as she was giving one of her most important lines, she took a step back and the floor underneath her cracked. She received both a concussion and a broken neck when she hit the floor below. The distance from the lecture room (where the play was performed) to the hallway below it was a long one, and by the time she was found, she was already dead.

I can edit this if it does not fit your visualization of the school building.

General Characteristics

Name: Yer'on ("yair-on")

Outlook Characteristics

Height:
11"

Appearance:
Something of a mix between raven and bat, about the size of a common house cat. His body, legs, and wings are those of a vampire bat, but with shimmering black feathers in place of fur. At the front of his dark plumage-covered head is a large beak shaped like that of an eagle, complete with a predatory hook at the end. Inside his beak are rows of short, sharp teeth. His back feet are tipped with short talons, while his front feet have sharp claws. His eyes have a dull red color.

Personality: A tricky demon that thrives on chaos, Yer'on's presence is not to be treated lightly. He is dangerously insane and delights in messy slaughters, as well as creating twisted art projects from the remains of his victims. Blood murals are his favorite, but lately he has also taken to skin capes and bone jewelry. If you manage to amuse him, you might earn a temporary ally, but annoy him and he can promise you nothing but a slow, painful death if you give him the chance.

Attitude towards humans: Yer'on thinks humans are weak, silly creatures. They're not as fun to kill as other creatures, especially since red is such a common blood color and it gets boring after a while, but their skulls make nice nests when cleaned out. He finds their stubborn natures interesting at times, though.

Other

Powers: Yer'on has a bit of magic under his feathery belt. He can coat his talons and claws in dark energy, making them slice through flesh easier and cause more pain, especially against inherently pure creatures. He can also increase his speed in bursts; this is usually employed while flying to make a chase (or escape) go more smoothly.

Whoa bro I would love to join! Wanna reserve me a spot? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.