DEBATE: REMOVAL OF DEBATE TAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, for serious? I dunno whether to laugh or be kinda sad.

Yeah, really happened. O____O I was proud of myself. And learned a valuable lesson about trying to poach roleplayers from sites where you can't even roleplay a biscuit.

Yeah, really happened. O____O I was proud of myself. And learned a valuable lesson about trying to poach roleplayers from sites where you can't even roleplay a biscuit.
Poor Diana. Did the other people get in trouble too?

Which is why I'm not on it.

Like I said before. If people followed the rules already on the site (and enforced), the threads wouldn't have even hit that point.

I mean, how hard is it to delete a post that you see in front of you for being a personal attack? I mean, at least in one case a Moderator actually hit the LIKE button on it instead of deleting a post that clearly had no place being where it was.

But I suppose that makes me unreasonable. So I am probably just wasting my time trying to get one of my favorite features of this site brought back.

Kak, I love you. Not because I agree with you, but because I like watching you.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Kak, I love you. Not because I agree with you, but because I like watching you.
I get particularly bold when I am back in the states. Being in a place where you aren't allowed to vote, hold a manager position at McDonalds, and constantly get yelled at for being "too American", just because your government hates your mixed blood tends to piss me off.

I guess that has to release somewhere.

ON NEOPETS YOU CAN'T EVEN SATIRICALLY ROLEPLAY AS A FRIENDLY BISCUIT WITHOUT GETTING A WARNING FOR BEING A SNARKY SHIT. ;____;

=waves her stick of oppression!=
Did you see what happened on the Day of Sin? Give people little freedom, and when they system cracks all hell breaks loose.
I am a horrible person and enjoyed every moment of that, and the free neopoints that were being handed out. But then I stumbled upon this site and shall no longer have to RP with a character limit. All hail Iwaku!
I never was one for debates, but even if I was I love this site for so many other reason (which can all be found on Neo).

>Looks at removed negative ratings
>Looks at removed debate tag

GwaziMagnum2.gif

I do have to echo what a number of other's have been saying.
All you really did was remove direct means of conflict to pop up, now you've just encouraged it to disperse everywhere.
Hell just look at when debates happened in a discussion thread and the response had to be "Move to a debate thread".
Can't do that any more.

And two other big thing's I'd like to highlight.

1) It's people who tend to partake in these the most highlight this. And I know the first impression here is going to be "Of course! They want their shit filinging back". Not really, cause in a sense it's never left. Just look at this thread here. They're simply warning of a cause & effect ahead of time.

2) The people who are actually debating (according to the discussion vs debate definition Iwaku had) are Staff and Admins. Other's have honestly just posted their opinion/concern, which counts as Discussion. But it's the staff responding to those points trying to argue/correct them, which counts as Debate. So to make this clear, the people who sought to remove Debate's are very first people to start debating themselves.

Last edited:
That debate tag only existed for like... a year of Iwaku's lifespan. o____o We were fine without it before, we'll be fine without it now. All we did was remove a sticker that people used as an shield to say things like "well it was a debate thread, I wasn't arguing/fighting I was debating."

There is nothing stopping people from having back and forth intense discussions in a discussion thread. Start an actual debate if you want to. @____@ They aren't banned. In fact, now people can continue a discussion conversation naturally without someone popping in screaming "omg move to a debate thread". It's actually going to be EASIER now for staff members to moderate a discussion because they will no longer have to be concerned with the intricacies of a "discussion vs debate" or "debate vs shitslinging".

When we decided to remove the negative ratings, it reduced the amount of problems and complaints TONS AND TONS. Yes, people can use some of the neutral ones sarcastically, but because we removed negatives, it took away a temptation from most problem people to abuse them, and from huffypeople getting butthurts.

Same deal with debate tag. This is not hindering you AT ALL. It's just removing an obvious temptation.

I wasn't being a snarky asshole when I said peeps don't understand the full scope of what it requires to run a large forum. O___O You have to consider A LOT of little details and factors, pros and cons, what is going to be best for members in the long term vs the short term. What is going to hinder their experience, what is going to improve it. How easy it is to moderate, yadda yadda... When we take something away it's not because there are two or three people being pains in the ass, there has been a LONG STANDING problem involving that thing and other methods were not working.

>Looks at removed negative ratings
>Looks at removed debate tag

GwaziMagnum2.gif

Holy shit I tried to say something, but I forgot because that gif is multiple gifs upon refresh. I'm mesmerized. You get a star, Gwazi.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Am I the only one here who wanted the debate tag back because it was a pretty red that stood out on the Thunder Grey background I use?

Just me ...

Huh.

That debate tag only existed for like... a year of Iwaku's lifespan. o____o We were fine without it before, we'll be fine without it now. All we did was remove a sticker that people used as an shield to say things like "well it was a debate thread, I wasn't arguing/fighting I was debating."

There is nothing stopping people from having back and forth intense discussions in a discussion thread. Start an actual debate if you want to. @____@ They aren't banned. In fact, now people can continue a discussion conversation naturally without someone popping in screaming "omg move to a debate thread". It's actually going to be EASIER now for staff members to moderate a discussion because they will no longer have to be concerned with the intricacies of a "discussion vs debate" or "debate vs shitslinging".

When we decided to remove the negative ratings, it reduced the amount of problems and complaints TONS AND TONS. Yes, people can use some of the neutral ones sarcastically, but because we removed negatives, it took away a temptation from most problem people to abuse them, and from huffypeople getting butthurts.

Same deal with debate tag. This is not hindering you AT ALL. It's just removing an obvious temptation.

I wasn't being a snarky asshole when I said peeps don't understand the full scope of what it requires to run a large forum. O___O You have to consider A LOT of little details and factors, pros and cons, what is going to be best for members in the long term vs the short term. What is going to hinder their experience, what is going to improve it. How easy it is to moderate, yadda yadda... When we take something away it's not because there are two or three people being pains in the ass, there has been a LONG STANDING problem involving that thing and other methods were not working.
So in other word's we're just moving what would originally be in a Debate thread over to Discussion threads?
With the usual "Don't be an ass hole" rules in effect?

Ok, I seemed to have miss-understood what the focus/intention in removing the Debate Tag was.
Sorry. XD
Holy shit I tried to say something, but I forgot because that gif is multiple gifs upon refresh. I'm mesmerized. You get a star, Gwazi.
giphy.gif

Yeah... Because Iwaku is aaaaaaaallll about that freedom of expression. We WANT everyone to talk about the topics they wanna talk about. ... We just occasionally have to take steps to wrangle people in to little cages and prod them with sticks.

Otherwise we would ban all topics that get people angry and annoying. >:[ It IS tempting. GRUMPY IS TRYING TO MAKE ME. HE DOESN'T LIKE FREEDOM.

WHY IS GRUMPY ALWAYS SO GRUMPY!? >:C

The day Grumpy deep sixed the Debate tag, I was going to post a debate thread about Cats vs. Dogs and then just sit back and watch the blood letting get out of hand.

• Useful
I don't trust people that claim they like both dogs and cats. They're probably secretly bird people.

Debate threads in a nutshell.

Srs Bsns: I wasn't concerned. Others were in the Skype Group chat, until @Diana came and calmed their tits down. You can still have disagreements and the like in discussions, and thanks to certain recent changes, having such disagreements is now much less likely to erupt in conflict. Think of it this way.
  • A. The Debate tag does everything the Discussion tag does. You can disagree and "discuss" things in discussions, which is identical to what debates do, so you delete the tag because you have two tags serving the same purpose.
  • B. You want the Debate tag to remain because it keeps shitty people and shitty topics out of discussions. Except, those people shouldn't be allowed to spew their garbage anyway, if it would get them banned from discussions. All the Debate tag therefore does is create an excuse to make a thread where people can get 420edgymastermountaindewchief and scream profanities at each other like a bunch of XBox Live players. If you have to control shitty people to stop being shitty by giving them an entire tag to shit up which they'll inevitably drown in shit and get closed anyway, than those people who persistently end up propagating that shitty behaviour, shouldn't be in General Discussion altogether.
All it does is cause @Grumpy to walk into this.

nino-cagado.jpg

We just wished him a happy birthday, can we not force him to clean this up every week? Can that be our real birthday present? If so, no need for debate tags then. Discussion does just fine. :ferret:

WHY IS EVERYONE SO SERIOUS?

HAVE SOME POOPING UNICORNS.

a48df676bdaacd844e416ee8a585054e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.