Dear John Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
He frowned. "Not really. I've always been a fan of being outdoors and not in small spaces for too long." Damien told her as he stood. "I guess we could go somewhere though if you wanted. I don't know where though."

"Fair enough. But I've been in this office since 8am and I'm using you as an excuse to leave." She told him honestly, willing to pick a different place they could agree on. "We could always just walk." She offered. He would be out in the public eye and she would be there just in case he became explosive again.

Damien shrugged. "That's fine. I don't mind walking." He said, looking at the clock. "We're almost done though, I don't want to make you go over or leave late." He told her as he rubbed his bad hand. It was becoming his new nervous habit. If he wasn't sure about something, his first reaction was to rub his hand.

"I'm not too worried about it." She told him with a shrug, standing up. She'd noticed that he was rubbing his hand again. "Does your hand hurt?" She asked him gently. She didn't know if he was doing it subconsciously or not, but she was curious to find out.

He looked down and fully noticed what he was doing. "No, not really." Damien said, letting his hands drop to his sides. "I guess I just like covering it up so that people won't have the chance to notice it's different. There are a bunch of scars from the skin they had to put back on, ah, sorry if that's graphic."

She nodded, giving him a considering look before she grabbed her jacket. "Not too graphic. I've probably heard far worse." She assured him. "So are you going to walk with me?" She asked him curiously. He was technically finished with his session for the day, and there was no pressure to accompany her.

"I don't have much else to do." Damien said with a soft laugh. "Walking with a woman who seems to care a bit for me, at least for my mental health seems like a good use of time." He smiled slightly and slipped his own jacket back on.

She grinned at him. "I can't be the only one who cares, Damien. You're a good guy." She told him, putting on her jacket before opening the office door. "Well, let's see where this walk ends up." She said, walking out of the room and beginning down the hallway.

Damien shrugged. "I'm sure Jax cares about me, but it might just be because I make him food." He said with a soft laugh. He was happier around her... With her help. It seemed to actually be helping him with his mood, these sessions that is.

"Do you have a place in mind to go? Or are we just walking, because I really don't know the area well."

She laughed, shaking her head. "I don't think that's what I meant." She told him, but shrugged it off. This wasn't the place to discuss it. She excused her receptionist from refiling her books and headed out the door.

"Destination unknown right now, but I'm sure I'll think of something. If anything, I'll give you the walking tour." She said cheerfully.

"Okay." He said, smiling slightly. "I would like that actually. I think part of the issue I'm having is that I don't want to get lost and not remember where I am. If I had a tour I might remember better." Damien explained as he put his hands in his pockets.

"I'll try my best not to get you lost." She promised, knowing the area well enough to expect it wouldn't be a problem. She'd moved here a year ago, so it was second nature to her at this point. Once outside, she was happy to find that the weather was decent. Chilly, but not raining as predicted by the weather channel that morning.

Damien nodded and looked around, taking in his surroundings as they walked. "Why did you choose this as a profession?@ he asked, trying to make conversation.

Jess glanced over at him for a moment before going back to look at where she was walking. "The human brain fascinated me. Helping people control emotion or get over a specific fear, it's always been of interest to me." She explained, not having to think much about it.

"That makes sense I guess." He said, looking up at the sky. It seemed more blue over here. "I don't think I could deal with all the people though, I have a temper sometimes. Nothing bad, but I can't always keep my thoughts to myself."

She nodded, understanding where hew as coming from. "I normally vent about them after the session. People who need therapy, even ask for it, and then don't actually try to fix themselves will never cease to anger me." She admitted with a shrug.

Damien laughed softly. "Who do you vent to? I hope no one too important."

He took in her words and shrugged. "I can see their side. It's hard to change... It's hard to get over something that is holding you back."

She shook her head. "A mentor of sorts. He was a professor when I was in school." She explained.

She nodded, "It doesn't make it any less frustrating. I've gotten some pretty nasty reviews from people who made an appointment and then proceeded to ignore every possible course of action to help them."

"I guess that would suck, some people don't understand how their actions affect others around them." He said with a sigh. "Maybe you just need to be hard with them or tell them not to come back until they want to start trying to get better."

"Because this is my livelihood and I really can't afford to lose people. I survive it." She looked across the street. "So, anyways, a tour is what you wanted. Across the road is the city center. Sometimes there is concerts and whatnot, other says there are conventions on the lawn."

Status
Not open for further replies.