Dealing with my RP Kryptonite

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spoilers

Original poster
I feel like I get along great, with around 90% of my partners. The other 10% could be divided into two groups. The first group consists of people who I get along with...right up until I say something stupid, and then I feel bad, but after that we just kind of lose contact, even if they otherwise say that they forgive me.

The other 5% however is my kyrptonite. I suck at trying to RP with "technical" writers, and many of them are great writers, whom I would love to roleplay with. They often have clearly defined, ideas, just overall very thought out.

The problem is they act like Math Teachers, and over-think, everything, and if I don't explain every single, thought, and idea I have they get so flustered about it, and I'm just not like that.

It's like I expect my partner to just know 2+2=4, like why do I need to explain it to them? So sometimes I'll make a small change, a very small one usually to my character, or I'll choose a different crush, and to me this doesn't need an explanation, it's not like the entire RP is going to change because of it...yet this type of partner will have what basically amounts to a mental breakdown, and they over-analyze it, and think that the entire RP is now ruined, because the tiny, insignificant, change wasn't explained to them with a bright, colorful, puppet show, before hand.

If I have an idea that will change the entire plot, or whatever like that yeah I'll talk about that beforehand.

I think honestly I do get mad. I feel like when people need things explained way too much, that it just wastes time, that could be spent actually doing the RP, or talking about something like the plot, instead of flipping out at me, because I changed my OC's hair color.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this was a rant thread and not a seeking advice thread. I'll spoiler my comment instead of deleting it entirely, in case you decide you still want to read it, but uh, yeah...

:/ Not everyone can get along perfectly with every partner.

If your partner's personality or needs clash too much with your own... then it's ok to say "I don't think we're a good match".

You don't need to "deal" with it, for the same reasons that partners who prefer long posts don't have to "deal" with the ones who prefer short posts, or vice versa.

You have different needs and RPing styles. And that's ok.

You don't have to RP with them.

And if this only describes 5% of your total RPing partners, anyway? Then... I'd say you're pretty flexible as it is, and you're able to get along well with plenty of partners. You don't need to force yourself to like that remaining 5%.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this was a rant thread and not a seeking advice thread. I'll spoiler my comment instead of deleting it entirely, in case you decide you still want to read it, but uh, yeah...

:/ Not everyone can get along perfectly with every partner.

If your partner's personality or needs clash too much with your own... then it's ok to say "I don't think we're a good match".

You don't need to "deal" with it, for the same reasons that partners who prefer long posts don't have to "deal" with the ones who prefer short posts, or vice versa.

You have different needs and RPing styles. And that's ok.

You don't have to RP with them.

And if this only describes 5% of your total RPing partners, anyway? Then... I'd say you're pretty flexible as it is, and you're able to get along well with plenty of partners. You don't need to force yourself to like that remaining 5%.
Yeah I had this in the advice thread at first, but I changed it, because I can kind of guess the advice that would be given.

Yeah I had this in the advice thread at first, but I changed it, because I can kind of guess the advice that would be given.

:/ I mean... had you guessed that the advice would be "just suck it up and deal"? Because that's sort of the opposite of what my advice was...

@Kagayours

I actually had multiple guesses, one of which was the sort of advice you gave, though I do admit your advice seemed the least likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.