Dead to rights

"If I found a log cabin out here, I'd be happy enough to do a backflip." Alas, there were no creature comforts to be found, and Rebecca and Iliya would have to make do. As she curled up to get what sleep she could, Rebecca looked at her traveling companion. Gods, but she was beautiful... though she knew it was way too soon to say so. Better to get more used to each other first.

Reactions: Mahou-Shoujo
Though obviously displeased at the situation, Iliya wrapped herself in her cloak and laid down against a tree to try and sleep, though when morning came she had clearly had little success, as dark bags sat below her eyes, marring the otherwise flawless skin.
"Rise and shine... We gottq get going before anyone tracks us to here".

Rebecca seemed to have had slightly better success at getting rest than Iliya- with the emphasis on slightly. She woke up unsteadily, rubbing the sleep from her bleary eyes. "You're right. We need to keep ahead of them at all costs. How much farther to our destination?"

Iliya stretched a little as she thought about her answer, she didn't want to risk pulling something or getting a cramp while on the run after all.
"We should reach the border a little before sundown, there's a little town that mostly belongs my clan, they'll take us in for the night".
She assured, there was no way the Heartlands could pursue them across the border, especially as her people had a Much lighter stance on magic than most.

"Then let's keep moving. Safety's not too far off." As they broke camp and pushed onward, a though came to Rebecca. "Iliya, what is this town like? I've never been outside the Heartlands, and I'm not too familiar with elven culture and magic. Would be nice to know what exactly I am getting myself into."

"Hmm?"
Iliya actually seemed surprised by the question, as if expecting Rebecca to just go along blindly, perhaps out of a little bit of racism... Or just desperation.
"Ahh, well this close to the border it won't be anywhere near like the heart cities, mostly wooden buildings, obviously there will be more elves than humans, laws are pretty similar too, don't bring up demons though, most of us get pretty antsy about it... Oh! Also be careful not to make assumptions about people... We care a lot less about certain aspects of human society".

"Good to know- I think I'll be able to make a go of it there, as long as this doesn't catch up to us." Rebecca continued on in silence, feeling that they were getting very close.

Sure enough, by the middle of the afternoon, the pair crested the top of a hill and saw a small village, with a wooden palisade wall. Rebecca's heart absolutely leapt at the sight. "Iliya? Is- is that it? Are we actually going to be safe?" She didn't want to get her hopes up, but it seemed that this part of their ordeal was over, if they played their cards right.

"We should be fine, the Heartlands have very little power projection outside their borders, especially in the Elven lands".
Iliya assured her.

"Yeah! That's it... Sloll, a border trading post, but where are the... Ahh".
They were soon approached by a guard, his elven ears prominent with his short hair, his skin was darker and he was both taller and much stronger looking.
"Halt cousin, god's kin... You are crossing the border without going through a proper checkpoint".
He greeted Iliya and then Rebecca before warning them.

Iliya of course took took charge.
"Greetings Maethor Cousin, I am Iliya, descendent of Vana, I was travelling through human lands when guards took offense that I bear my tribe's legacy, they were going to imprison me but this kind Human aided me at much cost to herself, I request an emergency crossing for both of us".
This seemed to sway the guard who turned to spit on the ground.
"Humans should learn to mind their own business... No offense human... Thank you for saving this Cousin... You both may enter these lands".

"I can't afford to take offense right now, Maethor- I owe her my life, just as she owes me hers. And by extension, I am also in your debt for being allowed to enter your lands. Thank you." Rebecca gave her best curtsy- it would have gotten her laughed out of any noble court in the world, but it was good enough for a guard, she thought.

The necromancer looked at Sloll, trying to get the lay of the land. "Well, we're behind walls, and it looks like we're going to be safe for a little while. Right now, we need a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and coin in our pockets. Which of these problems should we tackle first, do you think?"

The guard actually seemed fairly amused by her seriousness, waving a hand.
"Save that flowery speech for the Galad cousins, you seem a decent sort so I am happy to allow you entry".
He declared before heading off to check on a merchant caravan that was having an argument with some travelers.

"Well the guards took all my coin... So we can't really solve any other problems without seeing to that first... Usually there would be a job board at the in, with everything from babysitting and cleaning to hunting destructive wildlife... Those Old Ones left a lot of their taint within the wilds..."
The old ones likely referred to the demons that had invaded the world, barely being pushed back by a united effort.

The Old Ones had come here? Interesting, but not all that surprising, considering the local population. "Then let's go see if there's anything we can help with," Rebecca responded as she spotted the sign for the inn. Holding the door open for Iliya, the necromancer let the elf through. "Probably better for me to be seen with you right now, rather than being off on my own."

To be fair the demon invasion had reached most places, and it was pretty much just the elves that called them old ones, mostly out of respect for the demonic origin of elves.
"Oh you'd likely be fine on your own here, but sticking together is better than being alone".
Iliya declared as they walked through town to find the board in question, there were plenty of mundane jobs, but the highest paying by far was a request to hunt a bear that had been heavily changed by a an old one who had stayed in the Area longer than most.

"A bear, and a magically changed one, too. That... could be rough. I wouldn't dare take something like that on without help." Rebecca looked at Iliya expectantly. "Do you have any training that would be useful here? Combat magic? Martial arts?"

"Hmm... I'm decent with a sword? And animals tend to be quite weak to magics, so my illusions should work well, the old ones even tended to reduce the creature's magical resistance to more easily control them".
Iliya explained, patting the blade at her side, though a sword hardly seemed the best thing to fight a bear of any sort with.
"We might need to find backup..."

"Then I have an idea, but I'll need some time, as well as your help. Necromancy shares some things with plague magic, so I'll see if I can whip up a sickness that only affects the bear. You hide us from the bear so we can get close enough, I'll cast the spell to weaken it, and then we move in for the kill."

Rebecca thought about Iliya's advice on support. "A third person? Would be a little less money, but we'd be a lot safer. I think it's a good idea, Iliya. Does this town have a huntsman?"

"Huh... I like that plan, a sick enemy is a hell of a lot easier to kill than a healthy and strong one... Though if you want me to hide us there won't be any backup, I doubt I can hide three people".
She admitted, Iliya had hardly mastered the art of illusion.
"If we did want backup then the huntsman might help, plus the bar is full of travellers who might know how to fight".

Rebecca nodded, her auburn hair jostled a bit by the breeze through the window. "I think the huntsman would be a better choice, personally- these toughs may be monsters in a bar brawl, but I don't trust them to have the discipline needed here." She turned to Iliya. "Are you from this particular town? Would you happen to know where we should look?"

"Yeah... Village huntsmen are usually fairly skilled, and are often of the Radag line, which would be an advantage against beasts of any kind".
She declared before shaking her head.
"No, I am from one of the larger cities, the Vana capital, though I've been through here several times, so just follow me".
She led her a little away from town, where a decent sized shack stood, and outside was a tall, muscled elven man, his skin was tanned, hair long and he had two antler like protrusions on his head!
"Ahh! Greetings Radag cousin!"
She called out as they approached.

Rebecca tried her best not to look at the elf's horns, but it was damnably hard. Still, she managed to maintain at least a measure of decorum. "Greetings, sir. We seek a bear corrupted by the Old Ones; there is a large bounty for its destruction. If we succeed, we will split the bounty three ways. Does this sound agreeable to you?"

The man didn't seem to care about the staring, this close to the border he was used human travellers gawking.
"I require no reward...".
He replied, voice gravelly and booming.
"I make my living in those woods, but with that beast there I can barely enter without risking my life... If you leave the body for me I shall consider it more than fair payment".
That made sense... Not only would killing the bear benefit his work, but the pelt of a demon touched bear would be worth a small fortune to those who knew how to work it.