Dead to rights

Oh, shit. Rebecca knew she was in deep trouble now. The Church's pet goons were notoriously dangerous, and brainwashed into never giving up once they suspected witchcraft. Strangely, they never paid much attention to the fact that were using magic to destroy another's mind- something that truly horrified Rebecca. She'd destroy her own soul to fuel a curse on them if they ever tried to that to her, which looked like a distinct possibility.

The necromancer had a lie all cooked up, just in case. "I didn't actually see the crime, but I saw her running out and caught a glimpse of her ears. That's how I knew."

Reactions: Mahou-Shoujo
The witch hunter's face stayed incredibly passive through the conversation, tamed mages could feel emotions, and even kept most of their personality, but this one was keeping his completely in check.
Their only movement was a nod when she finished speaking.

"I see... And yet you didn't immediately inform the guard... Perhaps you needed more information... Say, do you happen to have some chalk? I would like to show you something..."

"I- I was scared. If she knew that I was a witness, she'd have a reason to go after me next." Rebecca thought she was holding up under the questioning, but only just. Inside, she was screaming in terror.

"Sure, I have some chalk. I keep a slate here for tallying my accounts."

"Ahh, but you still did go... Commendable... Though I must ask... Did you perhaps witness the act of necromancy?... Someone had tried to hide it... And they were good, but I'm better".
That almost sounded like a boast.

"Would you kindly show me where you keep your chalk then?"
He requested, despite the pleasant words the tone was anything but.

Rebecca's goose was cooked, and she knew it. She'd absently put the chalk with the other magical paraphernalia, not even thinking twice that such could give her away. In a frightened haze, she meekly opened the door to her little cupboard, revealing the damning evidence- bloodstained knives, an amulet awash in the energies of death, and a tattered grimoire. "I believe that you have found what you came here for," she said quietly.

The hunter was grinning almost maniacally, they knew she was guilty, had probably even decided before meeting her, and now they knew for sure, though also seemed more wary, mages were unpredictable, and while Rebecca didn't have the red eyes of the much more dangerous sorcerers, she could still be dangerous.
"I am arresting you for apostasy, necromancy, and suspicion of involvement in murder, come along peacefully or die where you stand".

Rebecca mentally reviewed the charges laid against her. Apostasy? They can probably get me on that. Necromancy? Definitely. Accessory to murder? They've got to be kidding!

"Alright, I'll come with you, but I want you to consider a few things. First, did you ever stop to think that maybe a murder investigation would be easier if you could question the victim? I wouldn't have been able to know the elf did it without calling back Charles' ghost." Her voice suddenly turned low and hard.

"And you already know I'm a necromancer. Do you really believe that I've haven't prepared for my own death? Perhaps I'll only become stronger once I'm in my grave..." It was a complete bluff, but the witch hunter didn't need to know that.

While normally it would be difficult to make the accessory charge stick, with a conviction of unlicensed magic they could pin a million crimes on her and no one would blink, at least not in places with enough church influence.

"Of course we considered such things... But ultimately pulling a spirit from the embrace of the gods to compensate for our own failings was considered too much of a crime against nature".
He answered her honestly, though his voice took on a holier than thou tone.
"The demon elf would have been caught, her foul essence is obvious to one such as I".
He declared.

"What makes you believe there would be enough left to bury? The destruction of sorcerous materials is a... Specialty of mine".
He declared before leading her out to a group of armed men, church guards, and then towards the prison, throwing her into a cell next to an unconscious elf with a patch of blood staining her hair.

Rebecca was bound hand and foot, then thrown in the cell. She tried to cast a spell, but couldn't- the manacles were designed to block magic, so everything she did simply fizzled out. The redhead looked at the elf next to her. "You. You're the one that killed Charles." There was nothing accusatory in her words, merely a statement of fact. "I have to ask you one question: why?"

The whole time the wounded elf didn't move, until she was being spoken to, sitting up with a slightly dazed and very much pained expression, she answered.
"Simple... I didn't kill him... I'm guess you're the one who told them I did?".
She questioned right back.
"So, what exactly did you see, or hear or make up that pointed to me?"
Her own town was far more hostile, which made sense, she was likely going to hang on her words.

Rebecca was shocked. Charles had been dead certain, for lack of a better term, that the killer was an elf, and according to the guards, this woman was the only one in town. To know that her words were going to falsely send a woman to the gallows... it made her want to vomit.

"I... I called his ghost back. He remembered the killer being an elf. That's all he told me, and all I told the guards. Apparently, you were the only one in town, and that was what they needed. For what little it's worth, I... I am truly sorry."

She nodded slowly, wincing a little from the pain, the guards must have really worked her over.
"Did he say it was an elf though? Or someone with pointed ears?"
She questioned, finally opening her eyes, they didn't seem overly large either...

"Ehh... I probably would have been a suspect anyway, silly humans seem to think just because of our ancestry all elves are demons in disguise..."
It was a commonly taught fact, back in the age of the gods several demon princes had created several tribes of elves with their own blood as a mockery of humans... Of course people tended to forget that the elves were among the first to overthrow their dark overlords.

"No, he definitely said it was an elf. I remember that quite clearly." Rebecca shook her head, tears starting to well up in her eyes. "How... how are we going to get out of this? I can't cast any spells like this, and I doubt you can, either. And we can't overpower the guards... I only wanted to give Charles justice, I thought I could at least do that for him..." Rebecca trailed off, clearly starting to break down with her mortality staring her in the face.

"Well he should have chosen his words better... The daft old fool..."
She certainly didn't hold back on insulting the dead...
"Well, in any case we both have goals in common, let's start with this confinement... I don't suppose you have anything sharp or pointy? Or that can be sharpened enough to break skin?..."
She seemed to be plotting something.
"I'll also need to get the guard's attention, specifically the more... Perverse of the two that threw me in here".

Rebecca nodded- having a task at hand helped distract her from her funk. She managed to find a rock on the cell floor that had a decently sharpened edge, and kicked it over to the elf. "Miss, I know this is an awkward time to be asking you questions, but would you be so kind as to tell me your name? I'd hate to be referring to you as 'Hey, you' during this little escapade."

"Hmm? Oh, well you may call me Iliya, she answered, hiding the rock in the waistband of her skirt before calling over one of the guards, who came readily, it was the perverted one, who had been given extra guard duty as a punishment.
Suddenly Iliya's entire demeanour changed as she pressed against the bars.
"Oh big strong guardsman~ I need your help! It's so hot and unbearable... I need you~"
The man hardly needed invitation, opening the bars... Just in time for Iliya to dash forwards and press the stone against his throat.
"Sorry about that... I really did need help though~"
She declared, before slamming his face into the bars, leaving him out cold as she unlocked Rebecca's cell.
"Hahh... Please never tell anyone what just happened?"

Rebecca winced as Iliya delivered the vicious blow, hearing the sound of facial bones breaking. "I don't think he'll be any trouble for a good long while." As the elf unlocked her cell door, the witch looked her up and down. "That was an... interesting idea. I won't breathe a word to anyone, living or dead- but I will note that you might want to watch who you give blackmail material to."

"What's our next step?"

"Mmh... He'll probably wake up by tomorrow, but pretty sure he'll be feeling it for a while".
She sounded almost proud of herself, though rolled her eyes a moment later.
"Just leaning on my tribe's reputation... People expect us to act like succubi, so I did".
She explained.
"And anyway, I think knowing about your necromancy is far worse than looking like a whore..."
She shook her head, apparently wanting to end that conversation.
"So... I got is out of the cells, you're up now".

Rebecca shut her mouth, not wanting to anger Iliya any further. The two would have to work together if they wanted to get out of this alive, after all. The necromancer stood stock still for a second, drawing magical energy into herself. "Alright, I'm ready. They didn't blindfold me when I came in, so I remember the way." She headed down a corridor to the right at a fast jog- a small village like Willowby wouldn't have a huge prison, so they'd be out and in the open rather quickly.

Iliya's ears twitched as she drew in magic, likely due to their demonic heritage, elves always seemed to have a vague sense of when magic was being used or gathered in some way... If she had properly honed it, Iliya probably knew about Rebecca as soon as she entered the town.

The prison was indeed small, only three cells and a small room with a desk next to the entrance, luckily that guard had been the only one on duty, with the others likely cerebrating in the tavern... Though there was still a chance that the witch hunter was present.
"Okay... I need to pick up some things I stashed.... I suggest you gather anything you can from your shop... If either of us intend to survive we'll need supplies and finances, meet at the great burnt out tree near the town's east and we can leave together.... I'll wait twenty minutes and then leave you here".