Dead for Dead

"Ah I see," She said with a shrug, "I don't really have a line of work, well not one the tax collectors rocoqunize" She said with a wink, as she turned to look out the window watching him closely in the reflection.

Josh smiled softly towards her words, he understood the under the table thing, but he knew it was something more. He could tell by her tone of voice, he looked. " Well thats good to hear, my family pays me under the table. We've never really wanted anyone to watch us to close. So do you live around here or are you from the out of town? " He was slowly inching the conversation a bit more towards the personal side of things. Trying to learn a bit more about her, she seemed and acted so open, but she always seemed to blur her answers when it came to something personal, he remembered this from when they talked earlier.

The waitress then returned to they're table, asking them if they wanted anything, Josh looked over towards Sonya, " Umm can I get you somethin? My Treat? ", He said this as he was pulling a bill fold out of his pocket, he knew not to keep a wallet on him. To easy to identify who he was if it was to ever get lost. So he kept all of his personal identification at home, in a safe.

Blake just shook her head, "I'm good thank you though," She said indicating the cider, "I'm not from here, but I also don't really live anywhere..." She said shrugging.

He smiled as he waved the waitress off, he wasn't hungry, but would of had something if Blake did so she wouldn't feel as uncomfortable. He looked a bit suprise when she told him she didn't really have a home, but she was so pretty and her clothing wasn't dirty or messed up either. Then where did she shower and what not? He didn't prod that deep into the conversation, " So are you just staying in a hotel here somewhere or just kinda passin through? ", he started to get a bit more interested in her, she was so enticing, and something about her made the beast inside him stir a bit. It was mainly her persona, the impression she put off onto him, was just different. He had no idea what to make of it, but he wanted to know more.

She shrugged, "Eh I was staying with a friend last night, tonight who knows?" She said with a sigh laughing at herself in a way, "I just crash wherever, keep clothes all over the place you know." She said shrugging again as she looked out the window slowly, "I've been in and out of this town for almost a year, I guess I was just waiting for something to tie me down. But then I decided not to stay at all." She trailed off at the end thinking of the cliff and her near ending experience she closed her eyes against the pain, it would have been worth it.

Josh sighed a bit as he watched her cringe a bit, he knew she was trying to hide it, but it came out a little bit. He kinda poked her arm, " So I take it you don't have a place to sleep tonight? Or do you? " He said as he took another drink of coffee, " Cuz I have a guest bedroom in my flat, your more than welcome to it if you want a warm bed. ", He was horribly cautious when saying this, he'd been attacked in his flat in the past, but he was hoping nothing would happen if she ended up staying, he might have to get a little violent if that happened. He enjoyed the violence, but thats what scared him most of the time.

The waitress then returned back to they're table, offering refills. Josh offered his glass, and she topped it off. He grabbed the sugar and turned towards the window, this time the man was on the opposite corner, pretending to wait for the bus. He didn't show any interest, but as soon as the man noticed he was looking at him, he turned and walked the other direction. Josh shook his head lightly as he looked down and realized he was just akwardly holding the sugar in one hand and his coffee in the other. He quickly put a bit of sugar in his glass and began to stir it, hoping he didn't look like a total idiot.

Sonya smiled he was cute if a little strange, "I don't but I hate to intrude," She said offering her own glass to the waitress saying thank you as she walked away, "I wasn't really planning on staying anywhere tonight." She said looking down into the amber liquid in her glass before sipping it cautiously. She let out a sigh slowly as the warmth of the liquid warmed her still chilled body. She shivered slightly pulling her coat closer, "I'm sure I can find a room somewhere, you hardly know me besides I hate to be a pest." She said looking out the window to hide a faint blush.

Josh laughed softly as he listened to her comment, " Trust me your no pest. ", he actually blushed a bit as the words left his mouth. " It would be nice to have someone around the house for the night, things get a little quiet around my house, makes things a bit uneasy.. " He didn't want to creep her out, he was just trying to be a nice guy, and offer a pretty girl a bed and maybe a hot shower for the night. He sighed a bit as he peered out the window once again, hoping she would take his offer, but then not wanting to sound like such a creeper, he kinda felt like an idiot, and hid his face for a moment.

As he looked back up to her, the man from the street actually entered the cafe, and took a seat at the other end of the establishment. Josh cringed a bit as the man caught his gaze, he smirked as he walked off. Josh hated his fathers associates, always keeping an eye on his most valued possesions.

Sonya frowned as she watched him cringe, reaching across the table she gently placed a hand on his arm. "Who is that?" She asked tilting her head in the mans direction fowning. "If your families business is anything like mine he's a glorified babysitter." She said keeping her voice at a whisper as she huffed obviously annoyed. "As for the offer that would be lovely, I could use a good nights sleep." Sighing she passed her free hand over her eyes absentmindedness almost in another world.

Josh nodded softly to her comment, and a little suprised at her touch. " We should probably leave then.. " He said in a softer tone as he rose. He grabbed his jacket and left a few bucks on the table for the drinks and a tip. Looking over towards the man, he noticed as he looked up to him. The man went to stand, then suddenly sat back down. The look upon Josh's face was absolutely horrific, and the man at the table new exactly what it meant.. Back off. Josh knew who he was, and he knew he could beat him. He figured thats why the man kept his seat. He could see a clear look of hate flash across the mans eyes as Josh waited for Sonya. But, he never made a move, and Josh knew he wouldn't until they left. The man knew where he lived, but he knew even better never to step foot even on the same block as Josh's exquisite flat, or there would be sever consequences. He made it very clear to his fathers "babysitters" that his personal life would stay his personal life, even if he had to make an example out of someone. Which he had done many times out of sheer hate for the man his father had become so many years ago.

Sonya stood, the looks passing between the two made her nervous. Grabbing his arm lightly she pulled him toward the door rushing out into the cold, cringing as it slapped her in the face, with a sigh she pulled her jacket closer figiting as she crossed her arms across her chest. "Lead the way," She managed between chattering teeth. With a quick fleeting smile.

Josh quickly took the lead as they left the cafe, he too was chilled to the bone nearly instantly as they hurried along the sidewalk. A few blocks down the road he pulled her into a large brick building. Shaking the snow of his coat before he entered he pulled the door open and led her through, they walked a few feet down the exquisite persian rug, and to the elevator. Where Josh pressed a small combination of buttons, and then the doors opened. They stepped inside the elevator, and there Josh seemed to finally relaxe, " I'm horribly sorry about the gentleman at the cafe, my fathers men get a little too close sometimes... I'll probably have a word with that man sometime tomorrow.. " He said this with a slight hint of distaste, but let it quickly fall from his face as he looked back up to her with a smile. She knew that her father kept an eye on him, but she didn't know why. His family had lived in this town for years...Hundreds of years, and yet. It seemed as if it had only been a couple. The beast he was could answer for that question, time to him had been slowed a bit, and it seemed that he would never age more than he already had. Thus, time seemed to shorten for him as well. Years to to months, weeks to days, until it was all just a long blur, he would check the calandar every once in a while, simply to check the date, but nothing more.

As the elevator opened, it pulled out onto another persian rug, the floors were highly polished and the hallway was dawned with beautiful stucco walls. He led her down this hallway and opened his Flat to her. He gave her a quick lay-out, showed her the room she would stay in, which housed a large bathroom with walk in shower.

" Im horribly sorry, but I have to make a couple phone calls, please if i'm not back by the time your done, make yourself at home. ", He then quickly made his way to his study, where the doors closed and not a bit of noise made it's way through its thick doors.

Sonya looked around stunned at the sight, she quickly showered and changed into a large tshirt and sweatpants she kept stashed in her pack. Sitting on the bed gingerly as if afraid to damage it she began to slowly brush out her long hair, careful to gently work out the knots grimacing as the brush slid over the tangles. She sighed softly, as she looked around finally having brushed out the mess of hair. Moving to stand in front of the window she looked down at the street below, toes curling at the thought of jumping. Crossing her arms against the chill she had just recieved from the thought she pressed her forehead to the cool glass trying to calm her agitated thoughts.

Josh perched himself on the corner of his desk, the phone held inbetween his ear and shoulder as he waited for his father to finish with his older brother. He then heard his fathers low hoarse voice over the line, " Listen Lavius, if I ever see one of your little goons around me again, im going to tear his head off, right there in the middle of the street. No questions asked. Are we clear? One more incident and I will kill every single one of you, i'm really getting sick of having to deal with your problems on a daily basis, and im about to solve everyone elses problems and just clean you all from existence.... " He hung the phone up a little to hard, and knocked the receiver off the table. He sighed and shook his head before he actually decided to pick it up from the floor. He reached down for it, placed it back in his place and then looked back up to the door, suddenly he just realized he had a guest. He walked into the ajoining bathroom and changed into his sweats and sweater. He pushed the hair from his forehead and left his study once more.

Walking over to Sonya's room, he knocked upon the door and called in. " If your still awake and hungry i'm thinkin about making something, got any ideas on what your hungry for? " He said this with a bit of a smile, it had been a while since he had made a meal for two.

Sonya jumped slightly as he entered the room not having suspected he was there, "Oh I could eat anything honestly," She said with a tight smile, as she moved away from the window crossing her arms over her chest again. Her bare feet making no noise on the floor, as she brushed a now dry curl from her face tucking it behind her ear.

Josh smiled as he turned from the room and headed for the kitchen, it was dimly lit from overhead fixtures, he reached over and turned the brightness up a bit. He turned then to his fridge, pulling out a few ingredients. Eggs, bacon, jelly, butter, and then pulled a loaf of bread from the upper cabinet. He placed a couple pans on top of the oven and got to work. He had always enjoyed cooking, it was actually a hobby of his. He was always catching new recipes for exotic foods and the such. After everything was started he pulled a couple plates from the cabinet along with some silverware, and went to work setting the table.

Sonya hovered near the counter figiting with the hem of her shirt, she wasn't used to this sort of set up. Generally she crawled in late and just crashed on the couch. Finally to keep her hands busy she pulled her long curls up into a messy bun, "Do you..." She began pausing with a blus, realizing how silly she must look and sound. "Do you need any help?" She finally asked, looking down at her bare feet once again picking at the hem of her shirt

Josh chuckled a bit as he watched her shuffle her feet, he knew what was wrong. She was uncomfortable being serviced so. He smiled softly and pointed towards the food, " You can turn the bacon and flip the eggs if you want, but I realized that i'm out of orange juice, so im gonna run across the street to the market real quick and pick up a bottle, is there anything I can get you while im there? ", He said this as he was drying his hands on the dish towel, he lazily threw it in the sink as he turned to grab his jacket.

" And don't worry, no one will come knocking on my door. So you'll be safe up here. ", He said this as he turned for the door, but realized that he had forgot that he had asked her if she wanted anything, he turned towards her awaiting her reply.

Sonya turned eyeing the bacon and eggs while grabbing the towel from the sink and laying it over the edge gingerly, "No, no I'm good thank you." She said as she took up the spatchula. Meticulously setting to her task, completely ignoring him it had been some time since she had been in the position to cook or act like a semi normal person. She had dreamed as a little girl of being a house wife and chasing little kids around the house, but things had changed as had her priorities.

Todd smiled as he turned back for the door, " Okay, ill be back in a few then. Remember, just make yourself at home here. ", he then turned and exited the flat. Making his way towards the elevator, he let a bit of a smile pull at the corners of his mouth. The first honest smile he had made in a long time, he was actually a bit happy to have company over. She was different that was for sure, but she was a good person at heart, and he could tell that, simply through her actions. He stuffed his hands in his pockets as he took the elevator the the lobby floor, and exited the building. He even waved to the door man who he hadn't said a single word too for his whole residency within the building. Stopping to check the traffic, he looked both directions. And ofcourse, there were a couple men placed in specific areas. He didn't scowl at these men, didn't chase them away. Those men were his, keeping a steady watch for his fathers goons, he signaled them to change shifts and made his way across the street. He entered the market, got what he needed and quickly retreated back to the flat. " Hey im back.. ", he said as he pulled the door closed behind him. He took his jacket off and put the OJ in its rightful place in the fridge, he turned back to Sonya with a smile, " So, is it about ready? ", he said as he started buttering the toast.

Reactions: 1 person