Dead Beats (A Halloween Themed Band/High-School Game)

Lackadaisical

Or Marley, if you prefer.
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Online Availability
Evenings, PCT. More on the weekends.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. No Preferences
Genres
My interests vary but I tend to enjoy fantasy and sciifi the most with modern/realistic roleplays also being fun.
♪Dead Beats♪

It's a label pegged onto kids like us a lot. We wear our hair to long, play our music too loud and party a bit too hard for most people. Its a bit counter cultural, kind of in your face, edgy and well... a little bit spooky at its core. From the beginning we all knew it would be a sick band name, sure to put us right up their with Poisoned Apple and Motley Boo one day. And you know what? It did! Back home we're superstars but here? Well, we've definitely got a following but most of our fans don't realize that ... well, we're actually dead...

Nah I'm totally kidding... Only our keyboardist is dead.

But we are all monsters. Lead guitar? Pixie. Vocals? Vampire. And me {drums btw.. hi} I'm a werewolf. A mixed bag of characters but we get along alright... usually. You see, we're new to the states... or anywhere. Until last year we kept things on the DLZ {Dimensional Lockdown Zone.... it's complicated, warlocks, force-fields, curfews... no bueno} but thanks to our agent we're officially almost the first band EVER to obtain inter-dimensonal-visas {score!}. We've done well this last tour. Sold out shows. Screaming fans. The works.

And then we realized that we're stuck... and there's this guy from our side of the woods {calls himself "The Puppet Master" ... weirdo} whose trying to start all kinds of trouble for the normies. Its up to us to stop him... before it's too late.

Tell me about these "Woods"?

The Dead Beats arn't from around here... and by that I mean they REALLY arn't from around here. They're from a place called "The Woods" an entirely different dimensional plane were witches, ghosts and spooks of all sorts reign freely. Its a large place and pretty developed. In fact, The Woods is a lot like Terra ("Earth" for you normies) but with a lot more goblins and ghouls. Think "Halloween Town" but the size of a medium sized country. Travel between Terra and The Woods is possible, but strictly regulated. In terms of alternate dimensions, The Woods is actually fairly "close" to Terra and so its possible for residents to "slip through" from one side to the other... especially around Halloween.

But you guys are on earth now right?

Terra! But yea, as of June of 2018 the Dead Beats have been touring in the states. The "Bumps in the Night" tour has been a huge success but now we've realized that we're stuck. About two weeks ago all contact was cut with The Woods. We can't go back to The Woods, we can't communicate with our families, and other than a handful of monsters that are just as confused as we are everyone from The Woods living in Terra seems to have just up and vanished.

So what are you gonna do about it?

Well, our agent has decided to cancel several shows on our tour and keep us put in Salem, Massachusetts (a hub for people moving to and from The Woods... go figure). He's rented us a house (A creepy old thing right next to a cemetery.... Feels like home already.) And enrolled us all in Salem Academy of the Arts, a magnet school here in Salem that's about a half mile from the house. School starts September 3rd.

An arts academy?

Yep. Salem Academy is still a private school taht caters to those with a focus on the arts. It has special programs for visual arts, music and theatre... Their theatre program is supposed to be ESPECIALLY good according to our agent (of course, he's just trying to convince us to even go). It's just a normal highschool but a little more... dramatic(?) I guess.

I've got more lore surrounding "The Woods" and creatures that live there (I'll post it tomorow if there's interest), but I'm mostly just looking to startup a light-ish game with some goofy fantasy elements. I'd be looking for 4 "monster" characters to make up a typical five-man band (plus one *possible* sixth ranger if you can sell me on it) and then a smattering of standard human weirdos from the art school. I am kinda serious about a balanced ban though. Not all will be silent and brooding, not all have to be serious. Standard 5-man band format prefered (lead singer, lead guitar, keyboard, drummer, backup/vocals/whatver). I've got a male werewolf on drums . Would prefer not to repeat monsters with the possible exception of witches/warlocks (the most common race in the woods) but am open to vamps, pixies, witches, elemental magic users, ghosts, zombies, demons, mummies.... really I'm not too picky. I'm not too worried about balancing genders but overall would like to keep it even-ish.

The human characters would be art school students. They may be fans of the band (or hate them idk) but they DO NOT realize that the Dead Beats are actually monsters. They just think it's cool special effects and spooky themeing. Art school students typically have a primary focus in music, drama, or visual-arts however, there are also other clubs and teams for people to join (school newspaper? Ultimate frisbee team?). Most students at the academy are local-ish (some take the train up from Boston). There are some boarders, but they're the exception not the rule and live with host families in the community. Salem Academy serves students in grades 9-12.

I'd be open to adult characters associated with the band or school as well but I'd want the kiddos to be our mains.

Write in third person.
A solid paragraph or two per person.
Try to post once or twice a week.... maybe more during the holidays here.
Romance is a-ok but fade to black. No star game.
Don't take yourself to seriously.
Characters can be jerks, players should not be.
Cheesy puns and silliness encouraged.
1-2 Characters per person unless the 3rd is just too good not to play.
I can't run a massive game, I'll close up once with hit maybe 10-12.

I've got vague ideas for a story but they're pretty weak so a lot of it starting out will be standard school drama. That said, if the thing lasts there's potential for an epic battle of sorts... or perhaps an EPIC BATTLE OF THE BANDS!!! (jk jk )

Any takers?

Reactions: winnie and YuYu
I'm interested!!!! I'll take the lead guitar! I'd like them to be a ghost if that's alright :D

I'm very interested in this! I haven't decided on a monster just yet, but I'll take the bassist if the band has one, and if not, then my second choice is keyboard :D

oh oh oh i would loooooove to make a lead singer.

dead beats is such a cool name lmao

Last edited:
I would love to make a female human that's a groupie of the band!