Dead Beat

"First things first, though. We actually have to find our mystery girl, then we can determine what to do with her." Rebecca thought for a minute. "You said you had some skill with illusions. Mind magic has some similarities- perhaps you could peer into people's memories, see if there's anything incriminating in them?"

Reactions: Mahou-Shoujo
"Hmm, a fair point I suppose, though I have been told that my family usually deal with things like this by returning the favor... I will admit to never having practiced that tradition".
Manana stated before seeming to go wide eyed, and shaking her head emphatically.
"Mind reading is a very difficult process, it would take several hours and a willing subject, several days if they are unwilling, though Charles did say it was someone new in town did he not?"

"Okay, just wondering. I was never very good at mind magic," Rebecca commented. "And yes, he did say it was a woman recently in town. That does narrow it down to a few suspects, and they're probably in the inn. It's where I was planning to start my search, anyway."

"Most people aren't, you need a certain mindset to be able to manipulate people's minds like that... I was fortunate enough to be born into trickery and manipulation".
Manana explained before nodding, though still heading away from the general direction of the inn.
"They are almost certainly at the inn, but there is no way we can simply march in there, though considering they are most likely getting a little nervous, I doubt they will stay long, so we are going to set up an ambush, if you are not opposed that is?"

Rebecca nodded, but still had some questions. "I get that we don't want to make a scene, but you haven't told me how we're going to identify this woman. There could be several travelers here; how do we know we have the right one? Just beat on her until she confesses?"

"Well it is simple, she has killed someone and two people know about it... She would want to leave soon which narrows it down to a woman who is quickly leaving town... Furthermore... She is alone, how many women would travel alone along the open road? How many would be CAPABLE of travelling alone?"

"True enough- most lowborn women wouldn't be able to travel long distances." Rebecca nodded as the inn door opened. "Wait. There's a woman heading out. Tall...with red hair! I'm the only redhead in the village, I'm sure of it! That has to be our murderess!"

"Not even low born... Robbers along the road often target lone women... I myself traveled here with the illusion of several armed guards, an exhausting but ultimately necessary precaution".
Manana declared before she too spotted the woman leaving and seemed to place her hand on something within her clothes, likely some sort of blade.
"Yes... That would be her, quickly, let's hide and jump out as she passes us..."

Rebecca nodded, waiting for a signal from Manana to jump out and accost the woman. Meanwhile, she drew a little magic into herself- not much, just enough so she'd have something in her in case the ambush failed to yield an immediate surrender.

After the woman had almost passed them Manana nodded to Rebecca and jumped out, producing a knife seemingly from nowhere and swinging it at the woman, who though momentarily surprised, had clearly been on alert and managed to dodge out of the way, the action leaving her a little unbalanced.

Rebecca had never been in a fistfight before, and it showed. She took a clumsy swing at the woman, who dodged easily again. However, she took the time to work some magic as she did, conjuring a shadowy ball of lightning in her hand. "I'd suggest you give yourself up, before I shove this down your throat. We know you murdered Charles."

Seeing the ball of magic conjured by Rebecca, the woman seemed to be momentarily concerned as she raised her hands.
"Hehe... Guess you caught me~ That silly man had it coming to him... I mean I DID offer him a deal..."
The woman declared, her concern fading already.
"Sici... It is only my new ally here stopping me from slitting your throat where you stand..."
Manana declared.

Rebecca's gaze whipped from one woman to another. "Okay, Manara- you actually know her? Why didn't you tell me, or did you simply not recognize her at first? And Sici, is it- you have confessed to Charles' murder, which makes things quite a bit easier on us. Now, you say you had a deal with him?"

"Oh I know her... Though I would really rather NOT know her..."
Manana admitted, placing her knife at their captive's throat.
"Murder? Yes I suppose you could call it that... And it was a simple deal, he simply had to show me where something was and I wouldn't kill him, poor fool really should have stopped pretending to be confused..."

Rebecca rolled her hand in a 'keep talking' gesture. "Thank you for being so cooperative, Sici. How do you know Manara- are you a witch, too? And what were you searching for? Something valuable, I take it, else you wouldn't have murdered him over it."

"She's looking for a treasure she thinks I have... It's completely insane".
Manana cut in, her knife causing a small droplet of blood to appear on Sici's neck.
"You can't trick me! I know it's real... And yes... I am gifted with a magical gift...".

Okay, we're getting somewhere now. "So let me get this straight. Sici, you claim that Manana has some sort of treasure, magical in nature I assume. You had a deal with Charles that in exchange for him showing you where the treasure was, you'd let him live. When he failed to hold up his end of the bargain, you did the same. Correct?

Rebecca started walking towards the town guard's headquarters, such as they were. "Bring her along, Manara. I think we've got all we need to send her to the gallows." And hopefully keep me from the same.

Sici nodded at the explanation, a grin appearing on her face as it seemed she was taking her side.
"Exactly! Well... Charles didn't exactly AGREE to anything... He wouldn't even listen to any of my offers..."
She replied flippantly, as if his life hadn't really been worth much.

"You killed him over a nonexistent treasure you idiot... This is so like you Sici taking everything too far in your delusions... Such a child..."
Manana taunted, her words seeming to have an effect on Sici, who swung a fist towards her.

Rebecca couldn't exactly block Sici's swing, but she was able to push it off to the side so it didn't strike Manana squarely. "Enough, both of you! Sici, I am this close to leaving you to Manana's knife. And you, Manana. You let her get to you- be the better woman." By now, they were close to the guardhouse, and it seemed that half the town had come out for the spectacle. Willowby hadn't seen a witch trial in a long time, and the fact that said witch was dragging a confessed murderer behind her made it all the more wild. Rebecca knocked on the guardhouse door, waiting and wondering what would happen.

The blade just barely scratched Manana, though she didn't seem very concerned by the wound so much as she was furious that Sici had dared try and hurt her, however she did quiet down and stop talking.
Sici looked surprised as she was brought to the guard house.
"Wait... You are bringing me here? I thought you wanted to punish me?... Idiots..."
She mumbled.
The door opened to reveal a slightly confused looking guardsman, and Sici took her chance.
"Help me mr guard! These criminals kidnapped me and want to frame me for their crime!"