De-Extinction, Are You For or Against It?

Zen

The Bartender
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Romance, Action, Urban Fantasy
This entire talk covers the process of cloning and resurrecting extinct species. Some of these species cloned are domestic animals, but other species were ones that recently died off thanks to us humans. The speaker then talks about resurrecting long extinct species. You'll notice at the end of the talk that there are some people in the audience who stand, and others who sit.

My question is, where do you stand on this topic? Do you think it should be pursued? Do you think we can resurrect creatures such as the saber tooth tiger and the woolly mammoth?

Personally I care more about the animals that are here now, the ones that are still endangered and probably will die if humans don't do something. I honestly think the funds would be better off towards conservation than pursuing something as expensive as de-extinction. If the scientists intend to return these species to the wild, they would have to change the present environment - possible endangering species that already live there - and ensure that they have a stable food supply. But the worst thing I can see happening are these animals becoming a curiosity or a billionaire's pet. But again these are my opinions and I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks on this topic.

Reactions: Buttercorn
In theory it seems like a great idea. Bringing back animals that are long gone. But yeah, like you said, so many things can go wrong doing that. O__O Wild packs of wooly mammoths would be awesome, but were would they live? Would we keep them in captivity? That's terrible! Even with smaller species, you have to think about the quality of life and how that species is going to affect the environment. And you know some asshole is going to try and fund Jurassic Park. >:[

I would definitely rather see that money put toward conservation of current environments and species. D:

Obviously these animals have died off for a reason. Survival of the fittest and all that... Just because we humans feel guilty for being the cause of a lot of these extinctions doesn't mean we should go around trying to re-create some useless dodo birds.

(And if you really like dodo birds then I'm sorry if I offended you)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Time for another 4chanesque response:

Reactions: Stacisaur
This may be my inner Viking talking, but without death there can be no rebirth. not saying however, that I don't want my own pet dinosaur......that'd be sweet

I think we should worry about not destroying Earth before we start talking about what creatures to put back on it.
It's like saying "oh, look, the walls are cracking. What color should we paint them?". How about we get the house leveled so the damn walls stop cracking before we waste money on paint? :/
I'd also like to add that I'd rather spend money on people than animals, but I'm shamelessly speciesist.

Reactions: Ryuu