Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AllStarGP

OK, so some of you might be wondering what this is all about. Well, here's the deal everybody. What I'm here to propose is a DC Comics roleplay, inspired by such works as Stan Lee's Just Imagine series from the 90s, Dc's Tangent line from the 90s as well as the Gods and Monsters animated movie by Bruce Timm. So, you might very well be asking, whats would this game be about if this is the case. Well, The premise is actually kind of simple. Basically we all know the superheroes and villains of the DC Universe by what we've seen through countless comics, movies, TV shows, etc, right?

So, what if we threw away most of the things we know about these heroes, keep the names and start all over again from scratch?

Yes, in the same line of thought expressed by the aptly named "Tangent" imprint, this group roleplay would take place in a corner of the DC multiverse where familiar code names are attached to VERY unfamiliar characters both good, evil and neutral. Where they are, who they are (including names and secret identities), what their origins are, what their powers are and what they look like are entirely up to you. The only thing that stays are the names attached to the costumes (with the exception of non powered civilians who's names would still stay regardless.) Everyone from Superman, Flash and Blue Beetle to Joker, Captain Cold and Mr. Mind, pretty much anyone from the dc universe (within reason) is yours to remodel and reshape into whoever you want. Like Tangent and Gods and Monsters, you can use existing rel names to go with your character's costumed moniker (Tangent Superman is called Harvey dent for example) or you can create a name of your own. (ala G&M's Hernan Guerra aka that timeline's Superman.)

As for locations, Well maybe they've changed as well. Maybe the Daily Planet isn't the beacon of journalistic integrity we know it as in the main DCU. Maybe Gotham is actually pretty great overall. Maybe Arkham Asylum is a research facility or a Church. Once again,, it's all up to you, the players.

(That being said, those bearing the names of heroes would still be the good guys and so it'd go for those with the codenames of evildoers.)

As for the main story for this game, it would probably involve the formation of the Justice League to fight off a larger than life, Earth shattering threat of some kind. What the threat should be or whether or not we should have that story or have the League already established can be discussed here too. If the game really starts to take off, we might touch upon things like the Justice Society The Teen Titans and even some interesting character arks and relationships. In conclusion, If anyone is interested in this idea, please feel free to say so. Also feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the game and if you have any ideas, don't feel shy about sharing them. Any ideas you might have that could build upon this idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

expressing interest as a fellow super-rper

• Thank You
Reactions: AllStarGP
@Shizuochan

Great to know. Thanks for your support and let's see how this goes. :) There are still a few kinks and I'm not entirely sure what characters I'm gonna omit from being applied for. but that's something to think about further down the line.

I might be interested in this. Do you allow for Supernatural aspects such as magic? I was considering using Raven's codename but with a darker theme to the powers, and a very...very different backstory...and gender.

I also sent this RP to a close friend of mine, to see if he is interested as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AllStarGP
@Shard

Of course! You can make their powers technology or spectral based if you so choose. In hindsight I probably should have mentioned that twists on existing power sets were allowed, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Sure, you can use Magic for raven if you want to keep it that way. I'm quite interested actually to see just what this twist you have in mind is. Here's hoping your friend is interested too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Danny
@BearEnthusiast

I read that you little rascal, you. :P Nah, for real. Welcome aboard, mate. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Just as a heads up to everyone. I've decided on a basic timeline for those that are interested. The Golden age of superheroes will have happened during the late 70s all the way until the early 90s, say 78 to 93. The Current era of heroes will probably start around 2010, which is when the rp will actually take place. It was going to be 2011, but I turned it back by a year so that things would be a bit closer to the 1st age of heroes. Sorry for not adding this in the beginning post, but I was still working this out at the time. Hopefully this setting will be good for everyone and won't lead to many restrictions.

Last edited:
With this kicking off, I would recommend the one thing I recommend for every RP I participate in, an active chat engine between players for ease of communication. If that's something people here would be interested in, I'd suggest Discord.

@Shard

Sorry for the late reply to this excellent suggestion, Shard. As it happens I'm working on setting up a chat for us all on Discord as we speak. When it's readdy I'll make sure you all get a message to let you know.

@Gands

Glad to have you on board. :)

I'd like to thank everyone here for their patience while this game's been in development. I know it's been a bit of a wait and I promise to have the OOC thread up ASAP. I'm still going to leave this interest check open in case anyone else wants to come on board and I'm probably going to do the same thing for the OOC, since I don't want to leave behind any potential participants. Once again, very sorry for keeping you all waiting and thanks again for taking an interest in all this. :)

• Bucket of Rainbows
I'm interested as well!

Oh don't worry he'd be a street-level vigilante, but he would have the overall effect of Superman towards the citizens Gotham rather then Batman (but still inducing fear in the criminals by using various techniques)

Oh don't worry he'd be a street-level vigilante, but he would have the overall effect of Superman towards the citizens Gotham rather then Batman (but still inducing fear in the criminals by using various techniques)

As long as he isn't too much or entirely like his comic book counterpart he's allowed. I'd also recommend not mentioning batman in the origin. That way it allows others to interpret batman their own way.

No worries I got it ^^

Coolio, I figured seeing as this is OC centric right?

Status
Not open for further replies.