Daz Learns Digital Art! (Badly...)

D

Daz

About three years ago I received a wacom tablet... and lost the cable after a couple of months, which I didn't get replaced for whatever reason. For the last few years my tablet has been collecting dust, as getting it working again was at the bottom of my list of priorities. However, now that my A-levels are finished I have a few months before starting university where I have practically nothing I need to do. So I decided to get my tablet up and running again by replacing the cable and downloading free art software (MediBang Paint, if you're interested), and am now attempting to learn to draw digitally! I'm not completely new to drawing, as I've drawn manga recreationally (very recreationally- I've never been good, aha) for several years, but I'm basically new to drawing digitally. To stop myself from procrastinating about learning just because I'm a beginner and it doesn't look good, I'm going to upload some of my art attempts to Iwaku. I'm going to aim to upload an image once a week, no excuses (*cue me never uploading an image again*). Any feedback or suggestions on how to improve is welcomed, since I definitely need the help.

Anyway, below you can see one of my first attempts at drawing using a tablet. I decided to draw Junko Enoshima since I've drawn her traditionally a few times, and there's handy reference sheet for her character (although I still managed to miss the freaking buttons). Something which actually looks better than my traditional art is the pose: this is due to the fact I used a reference for her pose, so the positioning looks more natural. I should probably use simpler poses while I'm getting the basics down though. The line art seems okay, but I really need to learn how to make neater lines- my lines are currently wobbly and the edges are blurry. Part of the wobbly problem should be fixed now I've discovered there's this thing called a stabiliser, which is basically an anti-wobble tool. I'm not sure about the blurriness, but I think I'll try experimenting with different pens and playing about with their settings to make the lines crisper. I got kind of lazy with the colouring- especially the shading- since I've always found colouring to be the most boring part. I might watch a few videos on techniques like cell shading, but I think I'll be focusing on improving my line art first. For now I plan to continue drawing Danganronpa characters as I learn the basics, since I'm familiar with them, have drawn many Danganronpa characters traditionally, and they all have good reference sheets. I'll gladly take suggestions for other characters to draw though!

FINAL
Junko_Complete.png

LINEART - For some reason I saved a version which is missing part of her shoe, and now it's finished that layer has some odd splashes of colour for more reasons I don't know. I guess I've learnt to manage my layers better and remember to export the lineart when it's complete at least.
Junko_1_wip_2.png

SKETCH
Junko_1_sketch.png

That's all for now! If I stick to my schedule, I'll have another image uploaded by next Tuesday. If not... *shrugs*

Chihiro's lineart is taking me foreveeeer, so I don't know if I'm going to be able to upload them this week. I might stop working on Chihiro, and instead try to get a simpler drawing done this weekend and upload that. For now though, I'm going to share Chihiro's sketch!

Sketch.png

[spoilier]