DayDreamer & Princess Misaou

DayDreamer

Badger Supreme
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable

The Raven; The Land; Dr. Breston's Shop
"Come oon!" Raven hissed as she heard the footsteps of someone coming her way. "Stupid lock!" She growled as she made one final effort to force the gear of the locking mechanism open. Her right arm shot another wave of pain down to her fingers as she pried the door open. Raven wished she had more time to punch the bastard that had managed that knife swing at her in the face. Granted she had done it once before being forced to flee, once was not nearly enough. She barely got any satisfaction out of it.

So here she was. A dark hooded figure that could easily pass as that of a lean young man. A breathing mask adorned with bronze raven details made intense blueish eyes stand out even more as the only visible identifying feature. The Raven. The well-known mystery cable racer was breaking in the nearest apothecary she knew about after having a fight with a sore loser. It wasn't her fault the guy had bet his money on the wrong runner. She had earned the small pouch of golden coins fair and square. It was now safely nestled in the inner pocket of her black vest.

Staying unmoving and quiet for a few moments as a silhouette passed by the now closed entrance to the apothecary, Raven took a look around, her eyes adjusting to the dim light.
"Right, thread and needle..." She whispered to herself and got down to work in finding the necessary items to fix the bloody mess she could feel warm trickling down to her fingers and staining her black leather coat.

With the practised habbit of a thief, Raven was quick to find her way around with minimum noise. Her soft boots were meant for running and providing her a steady grip, not anouncing her presence with pompous clacking heels. Finally being able to locate at least a bottle of alcohol, Raven moved over to the cabinet and picked it up. She had to at least clean that wound before sewing it back together.
"Well I'll just have to suck it up..." She muttered as she place her breathing mask on the nearby counter and pried the bottle open using one hand and her teeth. She no longer trusted her right hand to function properly and she needed to be quiet.

She paused briefly to look over what other stuff might be at the cabinet. She might as well use this opportunity to 'get' some medical supplies back home. Maybe that would be enough to make Hagen shut up about how she is so reckless all the time. Everybody did what they could to help the family survive and Raven just so happened to be good at lock picking and cable racing.

----
OOC Note:
Whenever Raven goes cable racing, she binds her developing chest and changes her voice as to appear like a masked young man instead of a girl. It throws nosey reporters and sore losers off her tracks.
@Princess Misaou [/hr]

Last edited:

text

Dr. Breston had been having a rather rough night. For once she didn't have any late night calls and she had finished up her work rather early as well. But she just couldn't actually sleep. Her bed back home in the Sky was continuously growing uncomfortable for her, despite the luxuries she was constantly showered with. She had been spending more and more time in her shop and that was starting to feel more like home than her actual home was. So having one of those nights again she had made her way back to her shop and decided to find something to do that would make her tired. The only thing she could think of was tidying her stock room and organizing it. She had been needed to do this for a while but she kept pushing it off. She had boxes piled up everywhere from her last shipment and they needed to be sorted through. She needed to organize her shelves and drawers of products as well because trying to hunt through and find what she needed in a rush was almost impossible.

She didn't know how long she had been working in that stock room but her body could tell it was late. She yawned as she did a final look around. She had managed to finish and get everything sorted the way she wanted to. A little bit of elbow grease went a long way it would seem. But she was glad to have this task finally done. She figured now if she had a warm cup of tea that would put her right to sleep. She made her way out of the stock room heading back to the front of the store however she stopped short when she thought she heard a noise. She heard the soft whisper of a voice and another rustle and suddenly Kaylee was more awake and alert than she was before.

Kaylee quickly reached for her shotgun that she always kept handy in the back of the store. She had been getting more and more unwanted visitors to her humble shop around this time and she wasn't appreciating this fact. Once she had her gun she quickly flipped on the light and as her eyes adjusted she loaded the gun keeping it trained on the hooded figure. "Put it down and back away slowly. I won't ask twice." Kaylee said as she tried to understand everything that was happening. She saw the bottle of alcohol and her first aid supply cabinet open. Her eyes then trailed back to the hooded figure. They were hurt, didn't take a genius to figure such out. She assumed it was bad enough since they were dripping blood on her floor.

"What happened to you?" She demanded from the hooded figure. This was a bit different than how she normally would've regarded a thief, she certainly handled the Moray differently, but this person was hurt and she couldn't just let them be. Regardless if they were trying to steal from her or not. "You're hurt. How bad is it?" She asked again, gesturing the gun to the right hand of the hooded figure.

(ooc: I might need to edit this because I just rolled with GC residents having electricity and not having to use candles and shit but we'll see if I'm right or wrong and if I'm wrong I'll edit.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DayDreamer

The sudden brightness of the lights being turned on, made Raven jump back in alarm and blink owlishly as her eyes tried to adjust again. "Fuck!" She said quietly as the familiar sound of a shotgun being loaded echoed in the shop. With her mask discarded and the lights on, Raven pulled her hood slightly so the other wouldn't be able to have a good look at the side of her face. The last thing she wanted was her identity revealed.

Not that she had much of a choice. She had screwed up at this point. Staying quiet, she did as told and gently raised the bottle before slowly settling down on the counter. Grabbing her breathing mask as she took a single step away from the counter, Raven turned around to face the rather pissed-off shop owner, keeping her head lowered and hooded still. She could tell the one who threatened her was a woman and a bossy one at that. The voice was enough of an indication. "What happened to you?" That demand caught Raven off guard. Then she realised that some of her blood had trickled down the floor.

"You're hurt. How bad is it?" The woman asked again and pointed the gun briefly towads her injured arm's direction. Raven squinted briefly as the woman was very familiar. Silver blonde hair. Now were had she seen those before? But she needed to stall for time
"Well, since you're asking so nicely, I got into a fight with a sore loser. Nothing a good ol' thread and needle from my sister can't fix. So if you don't mind, I'll be on my way and let you sleep." Raven said, changing her voice into a deeper, more boyish and upbeat tone than her own. Lying about the gender of her sibling could also come as a convincing lie as it was more like half-truth instead of a complete lie.

With a forced, yet charming smile Raven tried to take a step towards the door. She would rather face the nagging of her brother than the bullets of this lady at any time and any place. That and her hand already going numb from the pain were an indicator she really needed to get out of this tight spot and somewhere safer to take care of her wound. She doubted the woman would help her with that. She was afteral a thief that had broken in her shop. Injured or not didn't really matter. Unless.....

"The Doc from old Martha's....?" She breathed out as she suddenly felt like she remembered where she had seen that woman before.

----
@Princess Misaou[/hr]

Last edited:

text

The hooded intruder made a point hide their face from her piercing gaze, which was probably the smartest option they had when in this position. But that wouldn't help them much because regardless if Kaylee knew who they were or not she had no intention of letting this thief get away. That option had gone the moment she caught them redhanded.

"Well, since you're asking so nicely, I got into a fight with a sore loser. Nothing a good ol' thread and needle from my sister can't fix. So if you don't mind, I'll be on my way and let you sleep." The hooded figure explained with a low voice as they inched towards the door but Kaylee just pointed the gun at the figure again. If they were going to continue she would have no qualms pulling the trigger, but it seemed they were aware and stopped. Kaylee wasn't too thrilled about this either. How sad, they mentioned family which made the situation that more complicated. Why was it the young ones that were the stupidest nowadays?

Besides, if anyone was qualified to use tools to fix up this reckless chap it would be her. A needle and thread wasn't always the best way to go about fixing wounds but it's what the inexperienced always jumped to. "The Doc from old Martha's....?" the figure breathed as Kaylee stepped towards them, suddenly it was her turn to freeze. Martha might know a plenty of people but not many could associate Martha with herself. Call it reckless because that's what it was when Kaylee lowered her gun and quickly closed the gap between her and the hooded figure. She swiftly yanked the hood from the person to reveal in fact it was a girl.

Kaylee's eyes widened as she stared at the familiar girl. It had been a while but Kaylee could still remember her. Martha asked about her frequently and she would babysit for Martha on hard days where Martha couldn't take care of Chelsea on her own. "Raven?!" Kaylee called out to the girl. Suddenly all the thoughts and feelings she had were replaced now that Kaylee identified the thief and it turned out to be a girl she knew. Without thinking much she put the gun down on the counter and turned back to Raven only to flick her in the middle of her forehead hard. "You dumb idiot! I could've shot you!" She yelled at the girl before pulling her by her ear to her examination room.

"The hell is wrong with you? You make a habit of breaking into shops now?! Is that what you've turned into? A criminal?!" Kaylee scolded as she washed her hands and started to prep some of her tools to patch up the child. "Now take that coat off, you need to stop bleeding all over my floors. But just so you know I'm not done with you young lady. I'm going to patch you up and then we're going to have a long talk do you understand?" She glared back at the girl as she pointed to the bed in the room. "Now sit," she ordered as she continued to gather some supplies.

(ooc: I'm sorry for taking long) @DayDreamer

Last edited:
  • Love

With the gun still trained on her, Raven realized there was no escape from this. At least not that easy. She briefly contemplated the option of a surprise attack, but quickly decided not to do so. Instead the woman did so for her. Putting her gun aside and promptly pulling her hood down. Raven had been caught by surprise and was too slow to act to prevent it. With her face out in the open and the doctor recognising her, Raven smilled awkwardly. Her shoulders visibly relaxed and she allowed herself to actually shrink in a way that made her arm hurt less once the gun was forgotten on the counter. "In my defense I didn't know this was your shop. I just knew there was a medical shop nearby." She tried to defend herself, instinctively closing her eyes and flinching back a little as her forehead was flicked.

Again, she was given no warning and had little time to react "Ow! Ow! Ow!" She whined as she was dragged by the ear on another part of the shop. An examination room Raven realized, surprised from being manhandled in such a way. Not even her brother, Big Bad Moray hadn't disciplined her like that, much less a woman she barely knew. "The hell is wrong with you? You make a habit of breaking into shops now?! Is that what you've turned into? A criminal?! Now take that coat off, you need to stop bleeding all over my floors. But just so you know I'm not done with you young lady. I'm going to patch you up and then we're going to have a long talk do you understand?" And here they go.

It was just her luck that she would not escape a scolding and an eyeroll escaped her. She was about to retort that she had always been doing that. Becoming a criminal was the only option that had worked for her so far. Being and independent and only relatively educated girl didn't give you many options in The Land. Raven had tried to work for a tinkerer, but they had all turned her down. But Doctor Breston didn't need to know of all her criminal repertoir. Small lies wrapped in half truths. That had kept her safe so far. "Uh... No. I wasn't planning on breaking into your shop. I had just won some coin in a cable race fair and square. The guy who lost the coin wanted it back and I said no. If not for the knife I would be home by now." She pointed out as she took her coat off with a hissing breath to reveal a large bleeding cut on the right sleeve of her black shirt, running from the back of her arm closer to her shoulder all the way to the middle of her bicep in a small angle. It was a relatively deep cut with it being shallower towards her shoulder and deeper at the front as Raven had tried to move away from the attack.

For now Raven had decided to do as told and sit down on the bed, holding her arm close and in such a way that it hurt less and didn't feel as numb, lest Doctor Breston decided to pull another ear for her being too late to sit.
----
@Princess Misaou[/hr]

text

Kaylee washed her hands in the sink in the corner of the room before turning her attention back to Raven. "Uh... No. I wasn't planning on breaking into your shop." Kaylee flashed her a look that said she didn't believe what was coming out of her gob one bit. If she had no intention to rob her then she wouldn't have been caught red-handed doing just that right? Kaylee shook her head to herself as she turned her back on the girl to grab some tools like her needle and thread as well as some rubbing alcohol, homemade medicinal cream for lacerations, and bandages.

She was sure if she was bleeding like the way she was the girl had a high pain tolerance but she didn't want to make the child suffer so she grabbed a vial of clear liquid and a syringe, pain medicine she would inject in the bloodstream to numb the area. Once she had everything she turned back to the girl only to have wide eyes upon seeing her wound. "I had just won some coin in a cable race fair and square. The guy who lost the coin wanted it back and I said no. If not for the knife I would be home by now." the girl said with the confidence to believe it was so. However, Dr. Breston was not impressed.

Reaching out the silver-haired blonde flicked her hard in the middle of her forehead again before glaring at her. "You idiot child. What do you think you were doing on those cables?! Do you want to lose your life that badly?! Gods have mercy and you're even involved with gambling." Kaylee shook her head before glancing back up at the girl. She didn't understand, she couldn't understand what the appeal was to this sort of lifestyle. Was there truly no other option? Suddenly the woman's face became clouded and then softened as she looks onwards at Raven, the feeling of empathy seemingly exuding from her pores. "Is it really that bad? You risk your life so carelessly, is it honestly that bad?" Kaylee said, her voice a breathy whisper. She shook her head before grabbing the girl's arm gently to take a better look at the gash.

The cut ran from her shoulder, the more shallow part of the cut, down the back of her arm and to her bicep, where the cut was it's deepest. First thing first she needed to stop the bleeding. She quickly got up and grabbed a few towels and tossing them on the bed. Then she grabbed a rag and a bowl and filled the bowl with warm water. She then quickly walked out of the room to grab her container of salt from the cabinet. She then poured the salt in the water and mixed it with her hand before bringing the salt water bowl and rag over to her table where her other tools were.

"The first thing you want to do when you find yourself with deep cuts like this is to stop the bleeding. Judging by your pale and clammy complexion I can already tell you've lost a decent amount of blood." She spoke as she grabbed the towel and folded it and placing it along the gash. "Hold this in place." She instructed as she grabbed another towel to wrap around her entire arm. When she was done so she grabbed a few pillows and propped her arm up. "Keep it elevated and keep the pressure until I tell you to stop." She commanded as she turned to start sterilizing her equipment. She always cleaned her equipment before and after use. She wouldn't be the cause of disease being spread that was for sure.

A few moments passed and after she was done cleaning her equipment she moved to prep her syringe with the numbing medicine. She then turned to the girl motioning for her to release her arm. "Oh, and you'll be staying here for the night so I can monitor you. The gash is big and I need to make sure you don't have any complications. This isn't up for debate." She concluded as she gave the girl a look that made it clear she wasn't asking permission for this. "Now inhale deeply and count to 10. You'll feel a tiny pinch but it shouldn't be bad. " She said as she took ahold on Raven's forearm and prepping to inject the medicine in her.

(ooc: so I decided to not wrte out her patching her up in one go so that they can actualy have conversation istead :D ) @DayDreamer

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!

She couldn't blame Dr. Breston for not believing her. She had been caught trying to steal from her, but Raven had not planned it. She was forced to break in and try and take care of her wound. Not that it would make any difference now. She was about to drop the subject and wait quietly for what was to happen next until.... Thud! "Ow! What's with you and foreheads?!" She protested and glared back in defiance just like she was glaring at Raven with disapproval. "This is the only thing I have to earn enough money on my own terms. I am good at it and it's better than the other options someone like me has. Would you prefer it if I was overworked in the mines, gropped at the taverns or just plain old being at a pleasure house? At least then I wouldn't be breaking the laws right?" She growled both defensively at the unusual treatment she was receiving from this woman and in anger that was induced by pain, tiredness and the way things worked in Golden City. Then just as the glaring had come, it disappeared and the next thing you knew Dr Breston had become calm and empathetic.

Raven shrugged dismissively as she was used to this kind of life. "It could be worse. At least none of us is sick or crippled so we still have a chance to make it big." She commented and watched what Dr. Breston was doing, leaning over the bed in an attempt to see what she was doing when she exited the room for a brief moment. She had been unable to see where the doctor had gone, but she soon returned with a large jar of.... What was that salt?

Despite her tired state, Raven was watching closely, her face sifting from calm apathy to curious concentration. The young Griffith had always been the one to learn from observation and practical application. "The first thing you want to do when you find yourself with deep cuts like this is to stop the bleeding. Judging by your pale and clammy complexion I can already tell you've lost a decent amount of blood." She chuckled "Well, I was trying to do just that when you pointed the gun at my face. That's why I broke in in the first place. I knew this was a medical shop. I just didn't know whose." Raven followed the instructions to the letter despite a soft hiss being released when there was sudden pressure on her wound. She was surprised that Dr. Breston would actually try and teach her how to take care of similar wounds on her own. She wasn't going to let that opportunity pass her by so easily.

"Keep it elevated and keep the pressure until I tell you to stop." Doing exactly as told, Raven scrunched up her face in discomfort as she applied more pressure on the wound, only to soften up when the pain slowly faded and actually made her feel a bit better. Staying put, she watched the silver haired woman washing whatever tools she had. "Oh, and you'll be staying here for the night so I can monitor you. The gash is big and I need to make sure you don't have any complications." Raven rebelled at the mere thought of it. Hagen would kill her if she didn't come home and he had no idea about it. "But..!"

"
This isn't up for debate." Dr. Breston clarified and then pulled out a syringe and some form of medicine in a glass vial. At the sight of the needle Raven grew uneasy and all previous thoughts of rebellion were pushed to the side. It would seem funny that the tough girl who was so calm after being attacked with a knife would be afraid of needles, but it was true. Raven was afraid of needles, a fear caused by the clumsy doctor that had taken care of her back when she was young and their family was still whole. "What's that in the syringe?" She questioned even though she did take a deep breath and nodded as she began counting to ten inwardly. 1...2.... Instinctively she closed her eyes as the needle drew closer to her forearm.
----
OOC: That was a great idea. Raven can't really keep her mouth shut and in this situation it is going to be interesting.
@Princess Misaou[/hr]

text

As soon as the syringe got close to the skin she felt Raven tense up under her hand. Glancing up she noticed the girl was squeezing her eyes shut. A smirk played on her lips since the girl looked so silly, besides for a girl that could take a knife to the arm no problem being afraid of needles was something she wasn't expecting. "What's that in the syringe?" Raven asked trying, Kaylee assumed, to get her mind off the thought of the incoming injection. "It's something to soothe the pain. But I'm going to need you to relax or it's going to take me longer to find the nerve." Kaylee wasn't lying either, it would take more work for her to find what she needed if Raven didn't relax but that was really all it was. Kaylee had been told before she was a remarkably good phlebotomist but Raven didn't need to know all of that.

Kaylee thought back to the things the girl spoke about and she could understand why she did what she did but Kaylee was convinced that there was always another way. So she decided to make some conversation to relax the girl or rather take her mind off the injection. She even lowered her arm with the syringe in it. "So you said your only options were being overworked in the mines, groped at the taverns or just plain old being at a pleasure house? However, I understand when we met you made a decent amount babysitting for Ms. Martha? Why did you stop?" Kaylee asked looking at her intensely.

"The way I see it is that you needed something like fast cash and fell back on something that will only make life harder for you in the long run. You think it's your only way to survive but there's plenty of work even for you." She said as she brought the syringe closer to her forearm since she had started to relax. "You might have to work harder than everyone else but in the long run wouldn't you say it's worth it? Because the path you're going on only has two ends and that's landing up behind bars or getting seriously hurt, or worse, winding up dead." While she was talking she was massaging the girl's nerve. When she found it to be very prominent she quickly stuck the syringe in. No need to adjust since she hit the right spot the first time. She pumped the liquid into her body and quickly drew the needle out while wiping off a bit of blood with an alcohol wipe.

"You're a smart girl, I believe that Raven. Otherwise, you wouldn't be successful doing what you're doing. I would just hate to see you throw away all the potential you have because you believe there's nothing better out here for you. If you don't hold on to some sort of hope how will you inspire others to be great? That's what I had to keep telling myself before I became a doctor." She said as she began to unwrap the towels from her arm. They had been there for a while and so they were starting to stick because of the dried blood so she took care to gingerly unwrap them, not wanting to cause more pain for Raven.

Once the bloody towels were discarded she dipped her rag into the saltwater and wrung it out. "Now this isn't going to feel good but it's going to help I promise. Plus by the time I actually get to stitching up this thing the medicine I just injected into you should've kicked in." She explained as she started to clean her wound. There's a reason there was a saying 'like rubbing salt into a wound' it didn't feel pleasant at all. But she needed Raven to endure while she cleaned the wound. The last thing either one of them wanted was for this to get infected.

(ooc: I left it somewhat open again for the dialouge :D ) @DayDreamer

Last edited:

There was no needle pain and Raven opened her eyes reluctantly when Dr. Breston told her to calm down or it would take longer for her to receive the painkiller. Confusion was evident in Raven's eyes as the syringe was put away and instead the woman started to chat with her. Instinctively Raven's arm began to relax again, slowly but surely. "Why did you stop?" Again with the intense eyes. What was it with Dr. Breston and having to scold her like she was a five year old or something? Why did she care so much? Or maybe it wasn't care but a clever way to get her to talk enough so that Cloaks could have enough evidence to lock her or her brother in. "The way I see it is that you needed something like fast cash and fell back on something that will only make life harder for you in the long run. You think it's your only way to survive but there's plenty of work even for you. You might have to work harder than everyone else but in the long run wouldn't you say it's worth it? Because the path you're going on only has two ends and that's landing up behind bars or getting seriously hurt, or worse, winding up dead."

Raven shrugged lightly at that, her mind now completely off the syringe. She could even feel the massage now and then through her already numbed forearm. "You know Doc? You have a few things wrong there. I wasn't paid to babysit Chelsea and I would never accept old Martha's coin even if she insisted. She helped me and my sister more than we can count when we first came to this place. That's when I realized I don't have the patience to deal with toddlers." She explained calmer this time and blinked when she realized that she had received the injection while she was talking. It hadn't hurt at all. She might've felt a small sting, but she had assumed that it had been from her wound and not the needle digging and searching into her skin. Of course the searching part never happened, but Raven had always assumed it was part of the process. The clumsy doctor of her childhood had already created that illusion in her head.

"Huh? That didn't hurt... weird..." She mumbled more to herself than to Dr. Breston before finishing with her explanation. "I tried for other alternatives. But I'm good at cable racing. I belong and I get respect for being good at what I do. The cash is an extra bonus since it's no longer me and my sister that we have to support. Might as well go down that road for as long as I can." Indeed their family had grown since her brother had decided to take in several street orphans. Raven had approved of that plan. Helping others with no family to support them was something Raven had been going out of her way to do on her own now and then, but it had surely increased their need for coin to make ends meet.

"You're a smart girl, I believe that Raven. Otherwise, you wouldn't be successful doing what you're doing. I would just hate to see you throw away all the potential you have because you believe there's nothing better out here for you. If you don't hold on to some sort of hope how will you inspire others to be great? That's what I had to keep telling myself before I became a doctor." This caused Raven to grow sad and more tired than she originally looked. This was one of few times she had heard that praise from someone who wasn't her brother, or Martha. Someone who knew next to nothing about her was actually telling her she had potential. Her arm would shiver now and then as the towels were removed and the protective crust of blood was here and there peeled away, but Raven was trying to control that with steady breathing.

"I think you're the first one to ever believe that Doc. But there's a big difference between you and me. You could afford to become a doctor. I was lucky to get basic education. I tried to get a job at a tinkerer's shop again and again. It was always the same answer. You're a woman, you're not smart enough, you don't know enough." She looked down at the tiled floor. Besides, inspiring others was her brother's job. He was the strong one, the one who commanded respect and could protect everyone in their little family. The one to always look after them and be there for them.... "I got tired of rejection, so I decided to do my..... FFFUCK!" She hissed in pain and out of pure instinct she tried to pull her arm tightly next to her ribs, but the effects of the medicine, bloodloss and injured nerves only allowed her arm to spasm weakly and stay were it was. Raven teared up slightly. Yup it was salt water alright. The warning had gone completely over her head as she had been momentarily focused on all the anger and disappointment she had accumulated over the times she had been rejected.

Taking deep breaths to calm down and take the pain, Raven tried to distract herself again. So she asked something that had been bothering her for a while. "Why did you pass those tools over the flame?"
----
OOC: This is turning out so good <3
@Princess Misaou[/hr]

text

"I think you're the first one to ever believe that Doc. But there's a big difference between you and me. You could afford to become a doctor. I was lucky to get a basic education. I tried to get a job at a tinkerer's shop again and again. It was always the same answer. You're a woman, you're not smart enough, you don't know enough." Kaylee shook her head as she continued to work on Raven's arm. It was always about money, but money was so fleeting, so superficial.

But then again, from someone that has always grown up without being in need, she had different views for sure. But that didn't mean just because she had different views that her's were wrong. She truly believed the things she was talking about with Raven. "We're not as different as you'd like to believe I think," Kaylee said softly after Raven's little hissing fit as she continued to clean the wound. "Sure I grew up with an easier life but that doesn't mean that I didn't have my share of struggles too. The same why people told you that because of your gender you weren't qualified to do certain things, I had the same treatment. Regardless of background. But just because they said I couldn't doesn't mean it's true." Kaylee said with a defiant tone of voice.

She reached for the rubbing alcohol next to her and poured some on another clean rag. Just an extra step to make sure that the wound really was clean. "If anything, they added fuel to the fire because they said I couldn't do it which made me work that much harder to prove them wrong." She said as she started to clean the wound with the alcohol. In terms of burning this probably felt worse than the salt water but since she had started with the salt water her body should've already adjusted to the pain making the burn of the alcohol not as bad as it could've been. "Us girls have to stick together, especially in a world where the men believe the can eclipse and silent us. I see much potential in you, Raven. You remind me a lot of myself." She said with a small smile. It's probably why Kaylee liked her so much, Raven just seemed like a younger more hardened version of herself and she wanted to help her succeed the way she wished she had been helped.

"Just like you commit to breaking the law I'm sure if you would just commit to something more productive you would see results. I believe that because you're a strong and smart girl. You have to be to survive the way you do. So believe in yourself and don't let what other people have to say define who you are. You know your true value, so walk with that in mind." She said as she finally finished cleaning the wound and began to prepare her needle and thread. "With that being said, make sure to speak up if you need help. There's nothing wrong with admitting that y'know." The doctor continued as she flashed a look at the girl. "You're young, you have your whole life ahead of you, don't keep getting injuries like these or rushing to met your end before you ever began."

"Why did you pass those tools over the flame?" came the curious question from Raven's lips. Kaylee glanced at her before smiling, "See, I told you, you're a smart girl. I passed the tools through the flame as a way of sterilizing them. Or cleaning them. It's not enough just to wash them. It prevents passing bacteria from person to person as I continue to use the tools. That's how plague outbreaks and things like that can happen. So it's imperative that I keep a clean environment at all times. Good question." Once Kaylee was done prepping the needle she then turned to look at Raven again.

"Ready? This shouldn't take long but I'll need you to bear with me for a bit." She reached and grabbed a stuffed animal from the corner of the bed. She usually had that for her children to calm them down but this should help Raven as well. Handing her the stuffed animal she nodded. "If the pain is too much let me know, otherwise you can squeeze onto this stuffed animal while I work." She said as she began to start stitching up Raven. "What is it that you truly want Raven? What are your dreams? Your aspirations?" Kaylee asked while she scooted closer to Raven while she continued to stitch her up. "You mentioned tinkering, is that something you're interested in?" she continued truly asking because she's curious.

(ooc: Sorry for taking long again. ) @DayDreamer

Last edited:
  • Love

While Raven was trying to control her reaction to pain for the most part, allowing the doctor to speak with no interruption, it wasn't just the pain that caused Raven to be silent. It had been a while since she had this kind of talk with a woman. Old Martha didn't count as she had always been more of a grandmother to Raven than anything. Doctor Breston was different. She didn't count her words nor was she outright dismissive of Raven like most were. It almost felt like she was being with her mother again, having a chat after Raven had been disappointed for not getting enough attention from her dad. Or maybe it was just the fatigue from the bloodloss and pain that made her head and heart feel lighter. Raven couldn't be sure and her brother's warnings about not trusting people, but especially floaters, right off the bat had taken strong root in her.

To have this stranger worry over her well-being and future so much felt bizzare. It wasn't rare for her brother to be like that with her and she had the rest of the kids care about her, but it was different with Doctor Breston. The Doc was a young woman and she was trying to get her to give up her life of rule-breaking for something better. She was telling Raven to speak up, to not give up and to ask for help, her help. It was so outlandish a concept but Raven found herself entertaining the idea. But it was too risky, so Raven shrugged it off.

"Huh that's useful..." She commented as her question was answered and she was actually praised for it. If it wasn't for the recent loss of blood, she would've been obviously flushed but instead she felt her ears heating up and get the slightest of pinks. She made a mental note of that for future refference and her face scrunched up as she was given a stuffed animal to hold onto as the Doc got to work with her needle. "I'm a bit old for a toy, Doc." She commented drowzily, but it was more of an argument for the sake of keeping up her strong appearance more than anything. She would never admit it, but she had missed her toys when it had been time to leave their home and come to Golden City. She kept the animal close to her chest as she watched in morbid curiosity how proper stiches are ought to be done. It would prove a handy skill as minor or major wounds requiring stitching were quite the possibility in her family.

Yet she could feel her eyes getting droopy as all the adrenaline of the day was wearing off. Perhaps it was also a side effect of the painkiller, but Raven was starting to feel the need to desperately lie down and just sleep the world away. The slight sting she felt from the needle puncturing her skin every now and then kept her awake and soon the Doctor spoke again, scooting closer to her and Raven found herself awkwardly smilling at what to her felt like motherly care. However she hesitated at what her answer would be to those questions. Could she really trust her with what she truly wanted? Could she talk about her father with someone she barely knew?

"It's..." She paused for a moment and rubbed her eyes with the hand that still held onto the stuffed animal. "Well, I like solving problems. I'm good at making things and tinkering has helped a lot around our house. But tinkering requires resources and while I make the most out of scraps in the dumpsters behind shops, I still need to buy some stuff, thus the occasional race. The rest is complicated....."
----
OOC: No worries. Take your time, no need to force yourself.
@Princess Misaou [/hr]

Last edited:

text

Kaylee's hands were steady as she quickly worked the needle in and out of the skin. She was swift, but precise as to be expected from someone of skill and practice. Kaylee couldn't count how many times she had to preform stitch work in Golden City. Mostly on Land and down below though, but stitches were stitches and she had plenty of practice at this point. People getting hurt were constantly in need of a doctor after all. She made sure to keep an eye on how Raven was doing as well. She knew the girl to be too proud to really speak up if there was an issue, and that was okay. Kaylee had been in the business for a little bit now so she wasn't new to that sort of attitude. It just meant she had to be more observant and perceptive. While watching her she noticed the girl's eyes began to droop and flutter. She was tired, a normal reaction to blood loss not to mention the fatigue that comes from a loss of adrenaline and from her criminal activities.

It was a good call to have Raven stay here, for more reasons than one it would seem. She glanced at how she held the toy close to her chest despite her earlier protestations about being too old. Kaylee smirked as she continued to work, almost done now, 'that what they always say till they do that' Kaylee thought to herself. However, she also noted that after she had asked her question Raven had remained quiet for quite some time. She wasn't sure if she was thinking about an answer or simply too tired to give one, but Kaylee would wait for a reply nonetheless. "It's..." Raven paused for a moment and rubbed her eyes with the hand that still held onto the stuffed animal. "Well, I like solving problems. I'm good at making things and tinkering has helped a lot around our house. But tinkering requires resources and while I make the most out of scraps in the dumpsters behind shops, I still need to buy some stuff, thus the occasional race. The rest is complicated....." she let the end of the phrase drift off and Kaylee hummed softly before cutting the string of the thread off.

Within record timing, Kaylee had managed to finish stitching up the wound, despite its size. Looking at it herself she would have to say she did a good job. She grabbed the saltwater washcloth again and rubbed it against the stitches to remove the access blood. She got up and went to the counter to grab a small jar of some sort of clear jelly substance and bandages. Another home recipe was in the jar. Her own version of medicinal antibiotic cream, used for cuts to prevent infection. Kaylee pondered on her response more trying to think of ways she could help her. She'd be willing to do anything to help if it meant she could get Raven off the streets and prevent her from winding up in jail or worse. "Hmm, if I said I could help you with that would you be interested?" She asked as she put the ointment on Raven's arm before tightly bandaging the wound.

She knew it was a long shot and a lot of this depended upon Raven herself but that didn't mean that would stop Kaylee for trying and fighting. She saw something in Raven, even before now, and she wanted to protect that potential, that greatness that she saw in her. But she knew it wasn't easy. Besides, they weren't that close and didn't know each other that well but Kaylee still, for some reason felt responsible for her. Even she wasn't sure why she was trying so hard. No. She knew why she was trying so hard with Raven, it's because she reminded her a lot of herself. Kaylee found herself wondering if she would've become so jaded and hardened like this if her life wasn't what she was blessed with. She honestly could say probably. But that was all the more reason Kaylee had to fight for Raven right? Because she was special.

"Alright, I think that's it. We're done here. I'll leave you to sleep then. If you need anything let me know okay? Oh and be sure to keep that arm elevated while you sleep. And try not to sleep on it." Kaylee said as she put all the tools she used in a bucket and all the medicine she used such away.

(ooc: Sorry for taking long again. Also, I'll be adding color to my posts from now on because with the new site update the white bold hurts my eyes. Also, I'll leave this open to respond but you can time skip to Raven sleeping or even the morning after, but don't end the thread yet I still have something planned for the both of them in the morning :D) @DayDreamer

Last edited:

Raven watched as the doctor finished patching her up. She would've loved to ask more questions about what that ointment was or how did she do the stitches so fast, but her brain was too tired. It was almost threatening her to shut down any moment. However she did catch the offer and she frowned, looking calculatingly at Doctor Breston. It wasn't the most intimidating of her glares as she was already half-asleep and pale from bloodloss, but under any other circumstances usually that glare made people fidget. "Depends on the catch Doctor." She replied firmly at the offer for help. In her book, nobody gave anything without waiting for something in return. Raven was already taking a risk trusting that the woman wouldn't just call the Cloaks as soon as she fell asleep.

She nodded in understanding at what the doctor said and as she kicked her boots of, to make herself more comfortable on the bed, she reached for an extra pillow she would use to prop her arm on. Now with the bandage firm around her arm, the painkiller coursing through her system and the prospect of just sleeping her worries away, she felt less like a wounded animal being cornered and more like a kid being hurt but safe. "Hey doc?" She called out to the woman just as she was about to leave the room. "Thanks.... for patching me up instead of shooting me." She said with a tired smile and finally lied down to sleep.

It felt like she had barely closed her eyes when Raven began stirring from her sleep. She had had a heavy and dreamless sleep, if Raven was fully awake right now, she could bet that she hadn't even switched sides unlike her usual restlessness on the bed even when sleeping. But Raven was only now being slowly released from the last tendrils of sleep clinging onto her mind. She felt warm and snug. Something soft and furry was close to her chest and something firm was pressing down on her elevated arm. What a peculiar feeling to dream of....
----

OOC: Now I'm excited about the surprise :) Raven is just now waking up from having a good night's sleep.
@Princess Misaou [/hr]

• Wicked
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy