Darkwater Village

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They both go hand in hand, the council is composed of citizens in order to fully represent the common man in Darkwater. They have access to the militia and have the power to call them if a certain majority of the council deems it right to. The council allows assurance that all actions taken by the officials are done in their favor, but yes I believe he approved for both."

"You'll be staying in room four," the owner said, reaching behind him for the key. The key holder on the wall had labeled hooks for seven keys, although the first three were missing.

"All the rooms are upstairs," he said. "Four is to the left once you're up there. Can't miss it. Says 'Four' on it."

" Thank you Sir, now may i ask where i could find some work in this area? I think i will stay here for a couple of days and i loathe just sitting around like a slug. " He Varimathrass spoke in a much more stricter way than most people would be used to, some may not like the way he spoke as if it seemed like he distanced himself with the normal folk but that was they way he had been raised to speak like and such there wasn't much he could do about it. He then started to speak again. " Does the village have any problems with undead or maybe bandits? "

Kelsey shook her head no at the same time the man excused himself, giving an odd expression before realizing there was a scene. She had been pretty wrapped up in her artificial world that she created in her head. With a soft expression, she turned back to the window looking at it as if it were the most interesting thing she had ever seen. It wouldn't be hard to tell she was actually just eavesdropping on the conversations behind her. When things gave a heat up, she simply slipped silently down a few blocks with her puppy in her arms. One thing Kelsey didn't need was trouble, the other thing she didn't need was attention. Those two things killed people here. Crouching and letting Azalea her wolf pup roam free, Kelsey tossed back her wavy raven hair and began to walk along. Kelsey herself needed to find an Inn in reality, but with the coins she counted it would probably again be the woods for her. She scoped out the area and peered around in silence and interest. She would go look around for a nice high tree to sleep in. She'd tie herself in to keep herself away from land based problems that came with the area.

Juliana sighed. "How do I put this?" she asked herself aloud, contemplating her next words carefully.

"We don't have the resources to hold multiple fair elections, keep the ballots from being tampered with, and protect the candidates from assassination. Not while we're trying to defend the town from wraiths and ghouls, defend it from bandits like the BloodPaws, defend it from the geist, and possibly make some headway combating Darkwater's criminal element in general. Not to mention keeping tension between Moryveil and Viradyl from getting out of hand."

She stood up from the wall. "Burnhope has been able to keep his office for so long because he's a complete puppet. Every decision he makes can be traced back to someone else. If we try to elect a Darkwater council, I guarantee the positions will be filled only by scum like Alloz, Tolmeyer, Hamshwitz, Bernier... the sort of people who think they run this village already, and certainly not the sort of people who would represent the interests of the common man."

"No," she shook her head. "If you want a fair Darkwater Council, the office holders would have to be appointed, not elected. Maybe that could work," she said, thinking on it.

"No, no, no, that's still too many people to protect from assassination. It'd have to be secret then," she said before thinking some more.

"No, there's no way we could keep something like that secret. In the end, that'd cost us just as much manpower as defending from assassination," she said, straightening herself up.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I don't see how we could make it work," she said consolingly.

---

"Well, both, I suppose," the owner replied. "The forests seem to have more ghouls and wraiths every day, and goblin bandits were here just a few hours ago threatening to burn the whole place down."

The owner put the glass he was cleaning away and moved on to another one. "If you want to help, you should go see one of the guard captains. Juliana Armistice, or Alblel- Abilil- Abelisk Tuhonna? Somethin' like that. Goblin fellow."

---

In the area of the woods which Kelsey was surveying, there was movement behind some trees. Three thugs and a man in strange, burgundy clothing with a green feather in his hat were beating a man with clubs. Behind them was a carriage with a broken wheel and two dead horses. Two of the thugs appeared to have crossbows strapped to them.

Last edited:
Kelsey hid behind the tree as she heard the noise, peering at the men in silence. The dog was trained by now and hid between her legs and laid like it was taught to do, a ball of gray fur and cuteness when Kelsey looked down. The men were in an interesting choice of fashion, Burgundy and green weren't exactly her favorite colors. Actually neither were, and the thugs looked ridiculous in her opinion. Then again Kelsey was nothing but a run away and a thief. She looked at them a bit longer before slowly backing away, leaning down to pick up her dog in her arms. Kelsey wanted no trouble here, and luckily there was a lot of leafy foliage. Hopefully if the bandits didn't take the whole cart, Kelsey could move the horses, or better yet take their meat, salt it and eat it, and try to raid what was useful in the carriage before heading to bed. Hell, if she felt safe enough maybe she'd even sleep in it. It was a good spot, lots of good hiding places yet it was more leafy than branchy so it wouldn't be hard to flee if she had to either.

The three thugs were dressed in black, but the ringleader wore burgundy noblemen's clothes with gold buttons and a burgundy tricorne with a green feather in it. He had a pencil mustache, a mole, and unkempt, greasy black hair. He was decorated with three teeth and a human ear like they were medals. The man on the ground wore a white dress shirt, a black vest, black pants, and black dress shoes. Finally, the man on the ground stopped moving. The thugs took out brown sacks and filled them with as much as they could carry from the carriage.

"Buuuuuuuuuuurn everything!" said the ringleader gleefully.

The thug with the lightest load doused the carriage, the horses, and the corpse in a liquid. He then lit a match and set them ablaze. The ringleader was so joyful he could almost be seen to bounce with each step as the four men walked back toward the village.

Kelsey heard their voices, and unpleasant noise that made the dog whimper and the girl wrinkle her nose in disgust, quick and agile she slipped through the trees quietly back to the village. It was better to be in a crowd than to be picked out alone. As soon as she saw the first person in the village she began a light jog instead of a quick run. The dog nuzzled its nose against it's owner. She slowed even more as she reached the shops and began to wander, even if then men had heard her running away, or knew it was her, she was in the village now among all the others and it would be easy to see. Her weapons felt heavy on her back as she remembered sometimes you simply had to fight. Letting of the dog Azalea, she looked into the window, pretending to see something of interest.

"You don't understand. The militia will act as guardians and an asset under the council's control. I understand there are risks to this, but I see no current motive for any common man to assassinate one of the council members who intend to fight for their benefit. The geists and other issues will never be taken care of. Two attacks today, and they both managed to storm in and leave, doing what they will. If the council was created, we could finally put Darkwater in a state of action instead as opposed to a passive one. Tell me, do you think you can keep going on the way it is? Do you think this entire town can go on!?" He was now almost shouting, he looked like he was speaking to the entire town rather than just her. "If you wish to speak about waste of resources, look back on this so called festival that is being held. People expected action and resolution rather than mere distractions and fake solace from these constant threats that people like me have to deal with." He calmed down, wiping a little bit of sweat off his forehead. "You're the only person right now who can do this. This town needs change, something or someone to rise up and make a stand."

"You're not listening. 'No current motive for any common man'? How in Ouroskoro are the likes of Tolmeyer or Alloz 'common men'? Do you have putty in your ears?" Juliana replied, irritated.

"I am working hard, all day every day, to fix this village. I really am. Darkwater is not passive. We responded to each one of those threats immediately. We chased them out and kept them on the defensive. The first chance we get, we will slaughter them. I don't need this kind of distraction," she said, pacing back and forth.

"I'm all for arming villagers, but your election would just put people in harms way. As soon as someone decent announces their candidacy for the council, they will be in constant danger. It is my responsibility to keep these people safe and I will not leave the safety of the most vulnerable to a brigade of amatuers. If you held your election, I would have to commit a number of my guards to the protection of the candidates, to keeping thugs from harassing voters, and to protecting the ballots from tampering. Again, while all this manpower is being used and all this money is being spent, the other problems would have to receive less attention. That might be all it takes for Darkwater to be overtaken by nefarious forces and destroyed. If you want a militia, fine, let's discuss. But no elections."

Last edited:
The Wolf raiders had finally made their way into camp. "My fellow Goblins, as you can see, we failed, this means that the humans are even bigger idiots than we thought, and it saddens me to say that the miserable gremlins are following suit." The Goblins look solemnly at their commander. "We are being tracked, and I think we should send them a message. Witch doctors, create a veil of mist, and prepare the message ritual" several masked goblins got up from around their campfire they started spasming and jerking in a coordinated manner, from the fire, the smoke turns from black to a grey white, and spreads outward rather than upward. Wyld dismounts Blademaw and grabs a tambourine of bone, shaking it, he becomes covered in smoke.

At Alb'leblesk's tracking party, the mist rolls in, thick and directionless. Wyld's silhouette appears far deep into the fog. "Gremlin" he says. "I will give you a chance, I am representing the independent goblin peoples, It only makes sense that our voice be heard equally with the Moryveilians and the Viradylians. You know I don't go back on my threats, If I am not accepted into these diplomatic talks, your town will be nothing more than ashes. The idiot female would rather have war and bloodshed than peace and politics, who is the REAL beast? Is she really so sure that she can take us out? How do you know that if she does succeed, that there isn't an entire army ready to strike? My faction expands beyond the BloodPaw tribe. Can't we talk like civilized Gretchin?"

Last edited:
"Hmph..Fine, I will settle with organizing a militia, but I am by no means done with fighting for the council. Hopefully when issues begin to fade, perhaps we can talk about diverting resources into one." He stepped back, trying to look diplomatic and amiable. Looking back on the conversation he noticed a distinct name that was mentioned by Juliana, he was referred to as if he were a criminal. Thaddeus was sure he had heard the name before, but it just could not come to him. He paused for a moment before finding the words "Tolmeyer...?" The words had slipped from his thoughts and out of his mouth, before realizing he was just standing there. "Oh sorry uh.." He had half a mind to say something about the mayor's meeting with the alleged Baron, but he decided to stay quiet about this for now. "Could you tell me anything about these people like Tolmeyer you spoke of?"

Juliana sighed. "How do I put this?" she asked herself aloud, contemplating her next words carefully.

"We don't have the resources to hold multiple fair elections, keep the ballots from being tampered with, and protect the candidates from assassination. Not while we're trying to defend the town from wraiths and ghouls, defend it from bandits like the BloodPaws, defend it from the geist, and possibly make some headway combating Darkwater's criminal element in general. Not to mention keeping tension between Moryveil and Viradyl from getting out of hand."

She stood up from the wall. "Burnhope has been able to keep his office for so long because he's a complete puppet. Every decision he makes can be traced back to someone else. If we try to elect a Darkwater council, I guarantee the positions will be filled only by scum like Alloz, Tolmeyer, Hamshwitz, Bernier... the sort of people who think they run this village already, and certainly not the sort of people who would represent the interests of the common man."

"No," she shook her head. "If you want a fair Darkwater Council, the office holders would have to be appointed, not elected. Maybe that could work," she said, thinking on it.

"No, no, no, that's still too many people to protect from assassination. It'd have to be secret then," she said before thinking some more.

"No, there's no way we could keep something like that secret. In the end, that'd cost us just as much manpower as defending from assassination," she said, straightening herself up.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I don't see how we could make it work," she said consolingly.

---

"Well, both, I suppose," the owner replied. "The forests seem to have more ghouls and wraiths every day, and goblin bandits were here just a few hours ago threatening to burn the whole place down."

The owner put the glass he was cleaning away and moved on to another one. "If you want to help, you should go see one of the guard captains. Juliana Armistice, or Alblel- Abilil- Abelisk Tuhonna? Somethin' like that. Goblin fellow."

---

In the area of the woods which Kelsey was surveying, there was movement behind some trees. Three thugs and a man in strange, burgundy clothing with a green feather in his hat were beating a man with clubs. Behind them was a carriage with a broken wheel and two dead horses. Two of the thugs appeared to have crossbows strapped to them.

" Thank you yet again for your services, sir. " With those words he walked out of the tavern still holding the key, it shoudn't be to much of a deal he had after all payed for the room. Varimathrass was now on his way towards the guards quarters in search for any of the two that the Tavern owner had mentioned, let's see the names were Juliana and Albel something. The first name was obviously female and the Tavern owner had said that the other one was a gobling so it shoudn't be to hard to notice that one. Once he reached what he thought was the Guards Quarters he raised his hand and knocked on the door, hopefully someone in there could give him the directions that he needed.

Running her fingers over the glass Azalea bit roughly at the end of her pants again, growling. She was hungry and revved up. Also hungry, Kelsey sighed. She had jerky, but not much. She ate one meal a day supper. Her stomach was used to it by now. Leaving a soft fingerprint she glanced back at the forest, smoke was billowing out. Those fucking idiots could set the whole damn forest on fire! She suddenly realized, with so much dead wood around, it was pretty dry. Plus many leaves and brush was in the area she'd been in with the cart. Although it was great for hiding, it was even better for burning. Taking a few steps from behind a shop for a better view Kelsey tilted her head, unsure of what to do. Where could she get water? Who's attention was she supposed to get? She usually minded her own buisness, but she knew it wouldn't be long before someone else noticed it because she couldn't be the only one to see the dark, thick smoke the grew in the sky. If it burned down much of the forest, the smoke could snuff out the town, because it was encircled after all. And if the fire burned hot enough, it would be very, very hard to stop. Kelsey watched as she saw a lick of flame flare up and go down. This isn't good.

Captain Tuhonna and the others stopped their horses in their tracks and observed the spectacle.

"I am a Moryveilan, and the BloodPaws do not speak for the Tuhonna Clan," responded Alb'leblesk stoically.

"You think I would allow my people to be represented by terrorists? You tried to intimidate your way into peace talks, and the very first thing you did when denied was threaten to destroy the village. I'm sure the goblins of Darkwater greatly appreciated that. Your only recourse now is to cut your losses and flee while you still have the chance, but if you crave violence as much as I think you do you're going to charge in and die. Care to prove me wrong?"

Alb'leblesk and his Spellswords were just a hair away from continuing on their route to Smouhal, not content to sit around for longer than a few more seconds.

---

"Oh... I just mean... ," Juliana replied, trying to find the words as her gaze drifted out toward the trees.

"The people who are clearly dirty but difficult to take down because... ," she continued, not certain how to finish that thought.

"The people who have the mayor in their pocket," she concluded, staring out into the distance.

No, not into the distance. She was distracted from the conversation by the pillar of smoke coming from the forest.

As her comprehension of the situation caught up with her she let out a big, exasperated sigh.

"Would you like to help me go wake the volunteer firefighters?!" she asked, hurriedly adjusting the fastenings on her boots.

She barely noticed as a man walked past them and up to the barracks' door. Lieutenant Eric Hartlitz answered the door, but he was quick to notice the smoke in the distance himself.

Last edited:
He seemed rather drowsy as pangs of exhaustion slowly creeped into him during the conversation as if his body was shutting down he leaned back on the wall, resting eyes for a moment before he was stirred by Juliana's sudden request.

"What? Whats wro-" He stopped, suddenly noticing the plume of smoke rising from the forest. His eyes widened, this was going to be a long night indeed.

"Where to?" he asked hastily.

Captain Tuhonna and the others stopped their horses in their tracks and observed the spectacle.

"I am a Moryveilan, and the BloodPaws do not speak for the Tuhonna Clan," responded Alb'leblesk stoically.

"You think I would allow my people to be represented by terrorists? You tried to intimidate your way into peace talks, and the very first thing you did when denied was threaten to destroy the village. I'm sure the goblins of Darkwater greatly appreciated that. Your only recourse now is to cut your losses and flee while you still have the chance, but if you crave violence as much as I think you do you're going to charge in and die. Care to prove me wrong?"

Alb'leblesk and his Spellswords were just a hair away from continuing on their route to Smouhal, not content to sit around for longer than a few more seconds.

---

"Oh... I just mean... ," Juliana replied, trying to find the words as her gaze drifted out toward the trees.

"The people who are clearly dirty but difficult to take down because... ," she continued, not certain how to finish that thought.

"The people who have the mayor in their pocket," she concluded, staring out into the distance.

No, not into the distance. She was distracted from the conversation by the pillar of smoke coming from the forest.

As her comprehension of the situation caught up with her she let out a big, exasperated sigh.

"Would you like to help me go wake the volunteer firefighters?!" she asked, hurriedly adjusting the fastenings on her boots.

She barely noticed as a man walked past them and up to the barracks' door. Lieutenant Eric Hartlitz answered the door, but he was quick to notice the smoke in the distance himself.

Varimathrass was about to ask the lieutenant if there was anything he could help with, but he noticed the glances the man was taking behind of him and so turned around so that he could see the smoke rising in the distance, he looked at Eric and then said. "I guess i won't be needing to ask if there is anything i can help with." With those words said he turned around and started to run towards the area the smoke came from in hope that he would get there in time before to much would have burned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.