Darkwater Village

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My... approval?" he asked himself, confused. "Oh yes, of course! My approval! Yes, you have my approval good sir!" he declared.

"You know, unless she doesn't like it..." he whispered.

He thought on the second question. "From the whole goblins and wolves thing she might be unavailable for a while. Maybe you could stay here for a bit longer and I'll have one of my servants outside to send word when she's nearby. It's not often that I have company."

As the maid opened the door, a man could be heard barging in. "It is I, Baron Tolmeyer the great and admirable!"

"..."

"Where is the mayor?" he asked.

The maid began "He's in the dining room with another guest, perhaps you should-"

"Rolf Tolmeyer waits for nothing and no one!" the man said, taking broad steps and moving his arms emphatically as he trotted into the dining room. He had a pencil mustache, a mole, and unkempt, greasy black hair. He wore burgundy noblemen's clothes with gold buttons and a burgundy tricorne with a green feather in it. In his hand he held a small sack which jingled with the sound of coins as he walked. He was decorated with three teeth and a human ear like they were medals.

"Who is this?" the man asked, pointing a finger at Thadeus. His nails were long and dirty. "I want to talk privately!" he screeched. It was less like the demand of someone of status and more like that of a petulant child.

Last edited:
He rose an eyebrow as the man had come in with a rather peculiar garb. Upon being rather rudely acknowledged, he merely closed his eyes and made a waving motion, as if shrugging off the insult like a feather. He was not one to argue other than little squabbles with his brother, or when bargaining at the market. His gaze shifted at Tolmeyer, and moved towards the mayor. "Today is yours." He cordially responded, almost bowing. "I will wait in the parlor should you require my presence." He began to exit the room while muttering something under his breath.

"Hmph!" said Tolmeyer as Thadeus left the room, although the dining room and parlor were not separated by a wall. "The nerve of that one, am I right?"

Mayor Burnhope slumped down in his chair, nodding and grinning nervously.

"Well, here's your cut!" said Tolmeyer, grinning like a maniac as he tossed the bag of coins onto the table.

"Could we speak somewhere... actually private?" the mayor asked.

Tolmeyer looked over toward Thadeus and then back at the mayor. "Quite right, my friend! Away we go!"

He grabbed the mayor with all his might.

"Aaaargh!" the mayor squealed.

Tolmeyer, straining and wheezing, lifted the mayor up nearly over his head and carried him into the kitchen. They were in there for about four minutes before they walked out.

"Goodbye, friend!" said Tolmeyer as he walked toward the door. The mayor gave a small, nervous wave.

Tolmeyer looked at Thadeus for a moment as he passed before turning his nose up in the air, opening the front door, and slamming it behind him.

Last edited:
He looked at him as they walked by with a silent, mock grin. After he had left he began thinking of possible areas Juliana may reside in. "Well, I suppose I should get leaving now, unless you require anything more of me." He ruffled around his satchel a bit "I might check the barracks later."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Uh, goodbye then!" said the mayor.

"Please don't tell Juliana about Mr. Tolmeyer's visit. Oh, and especially don't tell her about his, er... generous donation. You understand, don't you? Private discussions between us friends, eh?" he said, chuckling nervously and rubbing his neck.

As people started to close down their stores due to what the time was, the people in the market could hear the sounds of hooves coming closer and closer to them. And in a matter of moments they saw both the steed and the rider, the horse was pitch black and the rider wore a decorated armour. But those who saw him would rather react to how pure white his skin and hair was or how ice blue the colour of his eyes were. He rode towards the towns tavern and led his horse to the stable, once he had aquired a spot for his mount he went of and walked into the tavern ignoring the people who already were there and headed straight for the owner. He then casualy said. " I would like to rent a room. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Legothgen watched as the goblins rode off into the distance and glared at them with the grin as they disappeared into the woods. He looked at the paladin "I am sorry if I interrupted you in doing your job... I only wanted to... get rid of this pest." he turned to the goblin guardsmen or whatever he was "No offense to you sir, I see your much civilized than these fiends." he remembered he was looking for the inn and decided to ask the paladin, paladins are stupid people, but yet I must continue this sharade he thought to himself as he looked at the female paladin "Excuse me... I needed to find the inn in this town. Perhaps you can tell me where it is? Also, if you don't mind telling me if there are any jobs that are needed to be done in the town?" he looked at her with a plain face, emotionless to say atleast as he spoke with his usual dark, deep and ominous voice.

The captains and the majority of their Guard were mounting their horses in preparation for the chase as the armored man apologized to Alb'leblesk and asked where an inn is and if there were any jobs that needed doing.

Juliana was preoccupied with the fleeing goblins. "Uuuh the inn... " she thought aloud, trying to multitask.

"The nearest inn is the Old Jim's Resthouse, just that way and around the corner to the right," said Alb'leblesk, pointing. He hadn't quite excused the armored man's comments about goblins, though.

Juliana asked "How would you like to be temporarily deputized to guard our western border from the BloodPaws? They've threatened to burn down our village and resisted arrest, so they're to be killed on sight. If we can't catch them now, I'll have to send Alb'leblesk ahead to Smouhal for aid. They're probably based somewhere between here and there."

Alb'leblesk looked uncomfortable with the idea of deputizing the armored man, but he didn't say anything.

Juliana took out a map and examined it for a moment.

She then scribbled something on it and tore a piece out.

DarkwaterMap322.png

She held out the piece of map for the armored man and asked "So, are you interested? We don't have much time."

---

Old Jim's Resthouse was a decrepit, wooden building with water damage here and there. The owner was wiping the inside of a glass with a rag when Varimathrass walked in and asked for a room. A group of men, three humans and one goblin, played cards over in the corner. At the other end of the room was a woman holding a baby while rocking back and forth in a rocking chair.

"Uh, it's thirty gold coins," the owner responded.

Last edited:
He pondered for a second then decided to act... "I'm interested... give me a horse and I will get on it right now" he looked at the map the paladin extended and took a careful look through it "Maybe they have a camp near Darkwater... on the Moryveil side I am sure of it. They are not stupid to go on the other side... let's see take a quick look at the map... tell me which places are hardest to access for you and then will narrow our choices down, that would make work for us very easy." he looked at her with almost a spark in his eyes, knowing he would get to kill something this early... he just got into Darkwater and there is a job for him.

"There's no time!" said Juliana, pulling out a slip of paper and giving it to the armored man. "Here's a voucher for a horse. Go over to the stable there and take the one they give you. Remember to return it when the job is over, or you're a horse thief. Just guard the western edge of the village for us, okay? Bye!"

The Guards rode off after the goblins until they came to a burning log blocking their path. They pulled out some sheets to extinguish the fire, but it was too late to catch up to the goblins.

"Alb'leblesk, take fifteen of your best and head to Smouhal for assistance. The rest of us are heading back to the village," said Juliana.

Last edited:
" Then that is what i shall pay. " He took out a small bag which he kept his coins in and took out thirty of them, once they were in the palm of his hand he placed it on the counter and said. " So which room isn't being used? " He tilted his head slightly and for just a moment the scar covering the area where an eye used to be could be seen, but it was quickly covered as his hair fell back onto his face. He had managed to see the other people in the room but seeing a group of men playing cards wasn't that new, he guessed that the woman was living here maybe even was the mans wife.

"You'll be staying in room four," the owner said, reaching behind him for the key. The key holder on the wall had labeled hooks for seven keys, although the first three were missing.

"All the rooms are upstairs," he said. "Four is to the left once you're up there. Can't miss it. Says 'Four' on it."

He nodded to the Paladin and headed for the stable to get the horse... he got to the horse keep and gave him the voucher for the horse. He picked out a black horse and got on it, he rode out like a storm and went to the western edge of the village. He continued to guard the border until he was relieved of duty, he walked around with his arms crossed and he observed his surroundings, watching closely. He needed to perform his duty to the absolute maximum or he would get in trouble with that paladin... and he really did not need trouble from her.

Last edited:
Alb'leblesk took fifteen Spellswords and started leading them to Smouhal.

Juliana and the rest of the out-of-village guards arrived back at Darkwater. She saw that the armored man was on a horse where she told him to be.

"We couldn't catch up to them. If you see any BloodPaws, you'll be paid by the head for slaying them. I'll leave five of Alb'leblesk's Spellswords here to join your watch," she said, and five of the Spellswords joined the armored man at the western edge of the Village.

The remaining guards finally returned to their normal routes and Juliana headed toward the barracks to check on the priest.

"I..suppose so.." He scratched the back of his head "Anyways, thank you for your hospitality, I'll be off then." With that he exited the town hall. The natural thing to do was to head towards the barracks at this point, and so he did. As commoners passed by he was given a hearty hello by many of them, and their greetings were returned happily by Thaddeus.

Juliana arrived at the barracks and dismounted from her horse. She took her horse to the barracks' stables and went inside to where the priest was being protected. The priest, Philip, was eating some soup. He looked better than he did earlier, but he hadn't made a full emotional recovery. With him were the head priest Ordan Abney, Paladin Guard second in command Lieutenant Eric Hartlitz, and three other paladin guards.

Juliana got down on her knee and addressed Philip. "Hey, how are you doing?" she asked.

Philip responded "Better, I think. Thank you ma'am,"

"He's very brave, sir. I think we're going to do just fine here," said Eric.

Juliana smiled and nodded. She stood up and brushed herself off, then went over to the water pump in the next room to wash her face and get a drink. It's been a long day.

She went out the front door and leaned against the wall, looking up at the sky. Night had fallen and the sky had cleared. Earlier in the day, at the time of the meeting, it'd been so overcast that only a single beam of light had made it through.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" Thaddeus had arrived at the door of the barracks, where he saw a woman leaning against the wall who seemed to be musing. He didn't enjoy bothering somebody who was in a deep state of thought, but he had a task to carry out.

"Do you by any chance know where uh.." He tried to grasp the name again "Where Juliana is?"

Juliana looked over at the man who spoke. It was the man who was trying to see the mayor earlier.

"Yes, that's me," she said. "I was trying to help you earlier when those BloodPaws showed up, yes? Sorry about that."

"Ah, the goblins..a rather contentious bunch." He looked up at the night sky before looking back to her "Anyways, I'd like to organize a town council, governed by people and election. I think I've said this before back at the town hall before the goblins arrived."

"The mayor approves of this, but he wishes to hear the thoughts of his guard captains, mostly yours. I can explain the idea in further detail if you wish."

"That sounds like a lot of work and expenditure of resources for a position it only takes one person to fill, even if the current office holder is a wholly and utterly incompetent sleazeball. Before, when the goblins where there, I thought you said something about a council or militia? Did the mayor approve the council and not the militia? You'd think he'd know me better," Juliana said, crossing her arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.