Darkest Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kana couldn't help staying alert to her every movement, however, Elidi was nothing but gentle and slow, careful as she ran her hands over his skin and the Prince found himself relaxing little by little. Her fingertips left streaks of fire in their wake, invisible lines over his body and his skin was slow to cool again after she'd left. His temperature was naturally colder than other elves and that was common to all his kind. They were creatures of shadows and ice, the moon and water and their bodies reflected such things.

The Prince didn't mind the warmth, though. It wasn't overpowering like the heat of fire or the harsh rays of the sun in the desert. It was soothing like the touch of a blanket or warmed water against his skin. Kana breathed easier now despite her nearness and her touch and when she asked her question, he answered quietly, calmly.

"Yes. I wasn't allowed to say anything and when, once, I failed to deflect suspicion, they killed the elf who found out." He hesitated, knowing she wouldn't like the next part and then continued. "They said that the orders came from the King, but that if I spoke of it to anyone outside the dungeon your father would have my family killed. I couldn't risk them." He wasn't a coward. He was protecting his brother and sisters, his mother and father in the only way he could now.

Last edited:
Elidi frowned at Kana's answer. No, that couldn't be right. The guards must have been doing it all on their own will. Because if her father was the man being depicted in Ekanath's answer, then she didn't know King Thorontur.

"What were there names?" she asked, feeling and inspecting the last few scars of the Dark Elf's chiseled back. She was inspecting his body more so for the markings but it was also nice to feel the muscle in Kana's back and arms and torso, even if she really only thought him of a... what? Friend, maybe? On the brink of becoming friends...? Whatever they were.

Kana opened his mouth to speak and then snapped it shut, his eyes widening as the realization of what he was doing hit him. He jerked away from Elidi almost violently, nearly leaping away from her and turning, shaking his head, looking nothing less than panicked. "No! No, you can't say anything! You can't DO anything!" he hissed at her and then took a step back, nearly shaking as he brought his hands to his head with a groan.

No, no, no! Why had he done this?!

She was going to talk to her father - who might or might not have ordered his torture - and probably have something done to the guards if he told their names; and even if he didn't she could question all of them anyway and then...

"My family...they'll kill my family." He'd put them in danger by speaking to her and Kana felt guilt flood him, a terrible ache in his chest as he sought to minimize the damage he'd done this night.

Elidi's eyes did not widen and her face showed no expression of surprise as Kana leaped away from her. He looked completely panicked as his words came out in a rushed hiss. Her arms fell to her side but she didn't move, merely just watching the Dark Prince groan and panic.

"Ekanath," she said firmly, trying to get him to look at her. "They won't kill your family. They were just using them as leverage to keep doing what they were doing without an uproar. Think about it. Why would they try to keep it secret in the dungeons, in just the dungeons?" She paused and looked away for a few moments. "All of this horrible treatment towards you and your people... this is all just new to me. If I didn't know this until now, I do not believe my father knows. At least not about this kind of cruelty in the dungeons. But it is strange... how could this be kept a secret for such a long time...? If the guards hold that much power..." She shook her head, not wanting to think of such bad imagery.

It was her use of his name that finally caught his attention. He didn't think she'd ever said it and Kana's eyes met Elidi's golden ones, locking on her gaze like it might keep him from crumbling. What she said...made sense even as it didn't to him. He knew the guards were using his family as leverage, but...the way she spoke...did they not hold as much power as they wanted to make him believe?

He'd thought of such things before, but had never been willing to risk finding out because - and she'd already made the point for him - how had they been doing this for years without being caught? Maybe they DID have that much power and their threats were valid. He had NO way of knowing.

"I don't know how they've done it, but if they can fool your father, if they can do what they've done to me right under his nose, than my worry for my family might be wise. It could be that more than just the guards are corrupt in your kingdom." the Dark Elf countered and thinking logically seemed to have calmed him somewhat as his voice and expression were again neutral - even if fear still lingered in his gaze. "If your father is truly unaware of this, I will retract my anger toward him and gladly, but I can't trust that he is not involved on your word alone. I can't risk my family paying for my words to you this night."

Did she understand that? The delicate ground he walked on? The ground she would now have to trend should she choose to involve herself further?

As both their golden eyes met and locked onto each other, it seemed the prince had began to calm down. Just like him, though, she had no idea how much power the guards really held.

"For all of the guards to be corrupt, though?" she asked, frowning in thought. "That doesn't make any sense... doesn't even seem possible," she sighed as turned towards the fire, looking at it like it might hold the answer even though it really didn't. But at Kana's words about his family, she grimaced and turned only her head to look at him. "Ekanath, if I tell my father about everything you have told me: the forced toxins, the cruelty, everything... all of it could stop. Do you realize that?" she asked. She understood completely what he meant - if her family were in the same situation, she'd do just as he had done. But if they had a chance to end all of it, if she was right and her father didn't know, shouldn't they risk it?

She sighed and walked to the other side of the fire where her original spot had been. "Okay, maybe I won't tell him... but I could dig into the situation, I can find those guards and..." she shook her head, thoughts in a swirl since she had no idea what to do. "I don't know. I guess we'll just deal with it when the time comes..."

"It's not all of them..." Kana murmured that, thoughtful, but he wasn't sure Elidi had heard him and he watched her as her facial expression changed, unhappy, before she started speaking once more, looking toward him and their eyes meeting once more. He listened carefully and felt conflicted. His body told him to say YES to her offer. He was so incredibly weary. He hurt terribly and just wanted it to stop, but the risk... His mind was conflicted and his heart told him to never let anything, not even his own pain, affect the safety of those he loved more than his own life.

But what if there was a way to keep his family safe while stopping those who kept hurting him all at the same time? Was there a way and did it lie in the form of this beautiful creature who appeared so concerned and sympathetic?

"It's not all the guards. There are only ever three and I am kept further down and deeper in than the other prisoners. I think...there are court officials involved because I haven't switched guards in years. I know that speaking could end my pain, but...I fear it would make everything worse for my people."

The Dark Elf didn't say anything more for a minute or two as he retrieved his tunic and slipped it back on, shaking his hair out as it had decided to stick up in odd ways. He moved around the fire then and cautiously crouched before Elidi where she sat, coming level with her. He bit his lip, a nervous habit before formulating the words he wanted to say, voice quiet. "I'm called Kana. Thank you for being willing to help me."

Elidi felt just as conflicted as Ekanath, because even though her family wasn't directly on the line, her people were and so was Ekanath and the rest of the Dark Elves. She drew in a breath when she was informed that it wasn't all the guards that had been corrupted, just three. And there were possibly court officials involved which made the situation even more difficult.

"I understand," she said quietly, sighing a little bit as she thought over everything in her head. The movement from him caught her eye and she watched him pull his tunic back on before walking next to her and crouching, which was unexpected but also... nice.

"Thank you for letting me help, Kana" she replied with a smile.

The male elf smiled back, just a little and then sighed, shaking his head and looking at her through his white hair, as if trying to figure something out. She was an enemy, but he had to admit that Elidi did not present herself as such and therefore, he didn't really see her that way. Still, it was unusual, highly so, that he'd trusted her this much after a day. He knew that. People didn't just...form connections like that. Especially people who'd been warring for years.

Something was going on that he couldn't explain or reason out. Something drew him to this lovely, brave Light Elf and Kana would think it was bad if not for the fact that Elidi had proven time and again that she really didn't possess a 'bad' bone in her body. She was truly a healer to the core.

But that didn't explain why they were getting along so well and so fast.

"Elidi, do your people believe that ones path is woven from birth, that people are destined to meet, that we sense such things?"

The fact that the iced elf smiled back, the second smile if Elidi counted correctly, made her smile widen even more before looking away and at their surroundings. It was a peaceful night and she didn't feel any ominous feelings that she had been when they were being closely tracked and followed. And she loved the fact that she could perhaps talk with Kana more freely now.

"My people believe in order and tradition," she began, hugging her knees to her chest as her eyes looked out at the fire. She wasn't sure if she answered his question or not. "I cannot speak for everyone, but I'm not sure if I believe in a specific destiny. I do believe that things happen for a reason, however. My mother seems to believe in destiny... what about you?"

Last edited:
Kana grimaced a bit at her question, but it wasn't an angry expression or one of reluctance and he sat back, his own legs bent but slightly spread, his arms on his knees. Well, he supposed that was fair. He had asked her first. The Dark Elf thought about it, looking out into the darkness in the same way Elidi looked at the fire at his back. When he spoke, it was softly as seemed to be his way predominately and he seemed slightly questioning of his own words.

"My people believe in destiny, that the fabric of one's life is woven into time, crisscrossing with other threads and we are meant to meet those that we entwine the most closely and the longest with. Our bodies even seem to support this as our tattoos, they tell a story. Some of it is past and some future and we seem to follow it whether we mean to or not. Only Elder Elves can read the symbols, but we know they contain our stories anyway, even if we can't decipher it. I..."

He frowned, running his hand back through his white hair. "I didn't use to believe in destiny. I rebelled against it, but... now I am not so sure I was right to dismiss it."

Elidi listened to Kana's answer which turned out to be much of a better given answer than the one she had given him. She started moving her hand to the instinctive pattern of the fire, not really paying attention to her action as she continued to listen, looking to Kana only when he had finished. She remembered the sun tattoo on his neck and wished she could read such symbols like the Elders could.

"Could you ever have the Elders read them?" she asked curiously, wanting to look and inspect the prince's tattoo but held back since he might not feel comfortable revealing himself again. "Did you know your destiny before and that's why you rebelled?" She was kind of confused.

Kana chuckled faintly and the sound was deep and soothing in a way, containing a flicker of something like fondness or nostalgia. "Every member of the Royal Family has their tattoo read at birth, their hundredth birth day, their five hundredth birth day, their thousandth and then every five hundred years after that. Over time, more shows up and so the future is added to or even changes in some ways. I have had my tattoo read three times."

The male elf lowered his legs then and crossed them, sitting up straight as he took his tunic off again and moved his hair away from his shoulder, tilting his head so he could look at the black markings. "When we are born, the marking is only on our faces. Mine started at my forehead and the Elder said that this, combined with my hair coloring, meant my birth was...fated." He seemed to hesitate at the word, as if not wanting to have to explain what it meant and continued on. "At the time he said it meant I would be a great warrior and a Prince my father could be proud of."

Kana's fingers brushed at the markings on his neck with an almost pained look, remembering their meaning.

"Interesting..." she murmured, adding Ekanath to be three hundred years old, making him just a bit older than herself. It really was fascinating how the markings on Dark Elves' bodies appeared at birth and continued to grow. She never understood why their kinds fought in wars for so long when both had such beautiful cultures they could learn from.

As he took off his shirt again, Elidi's golden eyes flickered over the black markings, taking in every inch as she listened to his 'destiny'. She didn't ask what he meant by fated, because the way he said the words made her think that meant something along the lines of death...

She felt her eyes glazing over and couldn't resist the temptation of lying down. "I think the Elder was right," she said, looking at him with sincere eyes.

"Thanks." Kana replied softly, but he watched Elidi with a half-smile and slowly put his black tunic back on. There was more to the story because there was a great deal more to his tattoo, but Elidi was tired and he could see that clearly. If she wanted to know more, he'd tell her in the morning as they rode. The fact that he was already thinking of such things was strange, but Kana found he was much too weary of being surprised by his own actions today and so he merely accepted it.

The male elf got up then and he moved to the saddle-bags, retrieving something and then walking toward Elidi again. The Prince spread the blanket over the female elf and he reached forward out of long-time habit to move her hair from her face, faltering slightly about half-way through the task as his mind caught up to him. This wasn't either of his sisters.

Kana finished the comforting action and then moved back, feeling awkward as he looked away from the Princess and spoke in a neutral tone, reverting back to a familiar shield. "I'll keep watch. You should sleep."

Elidi smiled softly in response before her eyes went back to the fire that was still much alive. She'd ask more questions, but perhaps in the morning when she was fully awake. Though Kana might become tired during the day... they'd figure it out. The warm gold eyes closed, but reopened when she felt a pressure being laid on top of her and she looked up to the prince to see that he was putting a blanket over her. She watched him sleepily as he brushed stray brown tresses away from her face, a little bit surprised but not showing any reaction as her gold eyes kept to his, knowing that it might have just been an old habit he'd done with his sisters or mother or something of the sort. But it was still comforting, and his touch had been gentle. She closed her eyes once more to finally drift in sleep.

The next morning saw Kana yawning and a bit more lethargic than he wanted to let out. He'd, for the first time in years, stayed up into the early hours of the morning and had started to sleep around 4am. He'd been asleep for about three and a half hours before the sun in his eyes woke him and the Dark Elf had cursed rather colorfully at the intrusion, his body unhappy with the changes being implemented on it.

Kana had risen, though, knowing he had to and had gotten the horses ready all before waking Elidi. They'd eaten in relative silence and the Prince had forced himself to wake up by the time they mounted and started off.

It was now nearing noon and Kana was thoroughly cranky. There was no other word for it as he didn't want to talk, was impatient with Darkstep who could sense his agitation and was acting out because of it and the Dark Elf was on edge, constantly scanning the surroundings, keenly aware for danger. The last thing he wanted was to be caught be surprise when he was this drained.

Damn, did the sun have to be so hot!?

Elidi slept rather heavily that night, her body happy to sleep at a regular schedule for the first time in so long. When she was woken up by Kana, he had already prepared the horses. After they both ate, they got back on their horses for the third day of their travels.

Once the sun was beginning to set in its highest point of the day, the usual quiet princess noticed Ekanath's cranky air about him, probably due to not having so much sleep and the hotness of the sun as they neared the desert.

"You should sleep, Kana," she said after some time, leading her horse so that she was to the side of Darkstep. "If you give me directions for any certain direction you want to follow, I can lead the way. We're going to be in the desert soon. You should be rested."

Kana blinked, slightly startled by her voice he was that tired and he realized in that moment that he'd started to doze off, upright and all. The male elf cast Elidi a glance before he looked around, discovering that he'd veered slightly off course in an attempt to get the sun behind him inside of the two the side. Altering Darkstep's head, he set them straight again, but found himself nodding to the Princess. Part of him knew he should stay awake for her sake, but everything was catching up to him and having got a taste of his natural sleep cycle, his body was more than determined to make it happen completely.

"Keep the sun to your left and when you can't do that, keep your shadow in front of you. Wake me when your shadow shifts to your left side."

Kana yawned then and once he told himself he didn't have to stay awake anymore, he started to drift off quickly despite being on a horse and despite the heat of the sun that beat down on him unpleasantly, making his skin damp and warm to the touch. His body, his power worked to regulate, but that just made him even more tired and it wasn't long before the Dark Elf was completely asleep, leaning over Darkstep's neck and his cloak shielding eyes face.

Elidi was glad Kana agreed to sleep for the time being. She dismounted and tied the two horses together before getting back on Glaweth and leading the journey, taking the prince's directions. She wished she had the power to keep him in the shadows for at least a little while, but she didn't so she tried to keep the horses at a decent pace. Sooner than later, she tied a black piece of material over the bridge of her nose so just her eyes and up were showing. She felt best with the sun, yes, but she still became hot and could become sunburned.

Every once in a while, the princess would check back to make sure Ekanath was still there. The desert was kind in the sense that nobody else was there, and the silence, along the soft sigh of the wind, comforted Elidi. Only once did she pause to give the horses water since they were not as accustomed to the harsh weather of the sand dunes. And the day went on slowly, but the Light Elf didn't mind much.

As the shadows finally started to shift to her left, she hopped off Glaweth once again to walk to the dark prince. She lightly shook his shoulder, wondering if he was a deep sleeper or not. "Ekanath," she said softly at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.