Dark with Enlightened Intentions (Steven Universe

Onyx couldn't help but smile way, way more once Pyrite agreed with her, hands clasped together and all. "Yes! Great! And no, don't worry-- I'll manage! You don't look too hard to rest on." Onyx put both hands at her sides as he reassured Rite, with.. another brief bout of accidental innuendo as well. "All I need to do is find the right position once I'm on top and then we're good to go!" As she continued to speak, 'brief' became 'drawn out', unbeknownst to her, and simply waiting for her to go into the tent before she'd walk in herself.

From there, she had a rather unnecessarily serious look on her face as she went in, carefully crawling on Pyrite before changing her mind and lying and curling into a ball on her side-- the only position she could think of being in without making herself, or the both of them, uncomfortable. Onyx really hadn't expected something like this when she made it to Earth-- at the very least she expected to be doing this on her own, noting everything of value on the planet before moving on. But now.. Now she had a temporary partner working with her to make her job that much easier. What's more, she was super friendly as well. Onyx couldn't help but smile to herself-- the mission had gotten more fun than she ever could have imagined.

"..So, um.. Pyrite.. Not sure how moments like this go, but.. What are the words..?" Onyx had her eyes shut, obviously to prepare to sleep, but they were clenched more tightly, as if to remember something. Eventually, the muscles (or lack thereof) in her face relaxed into a peaceful smile once again. "..Oh, right-- good night."

Last edited:
Pyrite managed to keep a straight face when Onyx let out yet another innuendo. She didn't want to be in the awkward position of laughing and then having to explain that part of Earth culture. Pyrite stayed where she was, silently watching as Onyx came into the tent and got into a position by her. It was when she was right next to her that it really highlighted how big Pyrite was compared to Onyx-- funny how she was apparently stronger than her, then. A lot of things were funny about Onyx.... but heck, a lot of things were funny about her, too. Two funny gems traveling together.

"What d'ya... oh!" Pyrite said, "Ya must mean--" before she could say anymore, Onyx had already said it. Pyrite tucked an arm underneath her head (careful not to bump into Onyx), and tilted her hat over her eyes, "'Night, Onyx. Don' let them bed bugs bite." she said, pausing before continuing with, "... It's supposed t' be an Earth sayin'."

Pyrite had a peaceful enough sleep, more than used to doing it despite her body having no need for it. It was a nice respite from the day. Listening to the sounds around her; the faint wind blowing, crickets chirping, and a distant wolf howl. She found herself drifting off into hazy dreams of the Wild West.

The sun came up hours later, filtering into the tree-branch tent through it's needles. A few had fallen on Pyrite throughout the night. Pyrite had unintentionally put her arm on Onyx, pulling her closer towards her. Pyrite shifted, her hat falling slightly and exposing her eyes to the sunlight, "... But that ain't how y' use a lasso..." she mumbled.

Last edited:
Onyx was lucky enough to avoid the rays of the sun from hitting her, mostly thanks to how Pyrite was positioned. However, that wouldn't stop her from being pulled in during her partner's sleep, with the only reaction out of the smaller gem being a few drowsy groans and slight squirming here and there, sending her glasses askew somewhat. "N-no, just a few more minutes.. I'm almost done with my task, I promise.." She muttered, weakly attempting to crawl away from the arm around her in her sleep, but of course, since they were in a tent, she didn't get too far. What's more, humorously enough, she'd end up dragging Pyrite a short distance before she stopped. "No, no, please.. I just need more time; please don't break me.. Please don't--" She'd stop mumbling suddenly as she gasped and sat up.

"No!" She called out fearfully, looking around as if her life depended on it.. And then she remembered where she was. It seemed like it was only a nightmare-- she should have known; no way she went back to Homeworld so early. She'd look over at Pyrite, somewhat covered in branches from the tent, who was still fast asleep.. with her arm over her. Awkwardly, she'd attempt to push it off while shaking it, trying to get her to wake up. "Pyrite? Hey, Pyrite-- rise and shine.." She'd quietly say as she kept on shaking her slightly.. and then more vigorously to get her attention, and even still, that didn't seem to work. Eventually, she'd gain an idea. After wiggling away from Pyrite, she'd crawl out of the tent, covering her face as the sun's light was the first thing that she felt and saw.

Onyx then walked right over next to the tent, with the slumbering gem still in there, and then place a hand on the gem that replaced one of her eyes, grabbing her weapon-- a slingshot. Once obtained, she'd bring the band of the weapon back, causing a small light to form there. "I said.." She would finally let the band go, and with it the light straight up into the air, causing a loud rubber noise to sound out before the light itself exploded deafeningly after reaching a certain distance in the sky. "Rise and shine!"

Pyrite only slightly moved her position with Onyx's attempts to wake her up, and even tried to pull her closer when Onyx was escaping her grip. She turned over, snoring, "Huh, wuh... why's everyone running..." she furrowed her brow, making a slight fist with her hand, "What's that... light."

She shot up once a loud noise sounded out, hitting the top of the tent and causing it to bounce slightly. She scrambled to get out, actually tearing off a branch of the tent in the process. She looked around, a panic stricken look painted on her face, "Onyx did-- did you hear that? We have to get out of here, or, or maybe it's--" She craned her head up to the sky, holding her hand above her eyes to shade them. Only light here was the sun itself. She breathed out before turning to see see Onyx, holding what looked to be a sling-shot, "... So were you th' one creatin' that ruckus? Startled me awake."

Onyx watched as Pyrite stumbled out of the tent, smiling a bit. "Well, yes. That was the plan!" She'd put away her weapon, before resting her hands on her sides. "We've gotta start early if we're to report back to our workplace, right? Am I wrong? I'm probably right. Right?" She looked around for a moment as her statement to Pyrite began to descend into doubting and questioning herself. "Right! So first thing's first-- we have to head back into town and back where we applied!" She'd grin even wider, looking up to the sky.

"Oh, and, uh.." Her smile turned embarrassed, rubbing the back of her head. "Sorry about the particularly loud wake-up-call. I tried waking you up using the regular method, but you were.. kind of a heavy sleeper. Had to wriggle myself out and everything.."

Pyrite rubbed the back of her neck, "... Yeah. Ah guess ya' gotta' point there. Th' earlier we get there, th' better chance we have at gettin' it before anyone else does." Pyrite said, "... So ah guess thatsa' right." she said, pausing, ".... An' don' worry t' much about th' whole wake up call thing. Ah'll admit ah'm a pretty deep sleeper, so ah don't blame ya' fer that. One time, a couple'a pails a' cold water couldn't wake me up! They had t' resort t' just dumpin' me in the' water. ... Thankfully, ah was too heavy t' really drift anywhere. Cause that didn't wake me up either." she said, "But that sling-shot of yers, it..." she stopped herself. Did Onyx know? She wasn't sure of how much Homeworld kept from everyone, "... it was somethin', alright." she probably wouldn't like the answer, she figured. Brought up bad memories she didn't like to contemplate anyways.

They made their way from the grasslands into town again, getting some of the same strange looks they'd gotten last time, "Now Onyx, ah wouldn't worry t' much about gettin' these jobs-- if we don't get 'um here, we just go T' another place." she pulled on the door, looking proud that she did so-- See? She knew how doors worked. Showed that green-haired human. She stepped aside for Onyx, gesturing for her to go in first, "Figure ah'd leta' lady in first."

Upon hearing her little tale, Onyx clamped her mouth closed as it threatened to curl into an amused smile and open to allow her to laugh, only managing at the most to be strong enough to stifle it. "Pff, hehe.. That's.. pretty impressive, there.." She attempted to compliment Pyrite at her apparent ability to sleep through most things until her laughing fit died down a bit. Eventually it did-- to a few charming titters as opposed to uproarious laughter. "Aaah.. Oh? Well.. I guess it is! Packs a punch when I aim well at whoever's my target!" She smiled, looking rather proud of Pyrite complimenting her own weapon.. while staying none the wiser to what she was about to mention before she cut herself off. "But anyways! I guess we've wasted enough time talking, so what say we get a move on to our destination?"

They'd eventually arrive in town again, not really paying much attention to the gazes that they were getting, as much as she was gazing right back with her usual look of curiosity. Humans still intrigued her, though of course that was to be expected-- she hadn't been around for very long. "Sure, but.. I'm worried how well our next tries will be if it ever comes to that point. A very big 'if', but still.." She'd stop right in front of the door to the store, watching her pull on the door this time as opposed to pushing. She couldn't help but smile-- if there was ever any doubt that they couldn't handle themselves because they were gems, let that thought perish here and now. Onyx tilted her head a bit before smiling and walking in. "Aw, that's nice of you.. But you know, I could have just walked with you if you opened the door."

Pyrite paused, "... Oh." She said, closing the door behind her, "But it was justa' polite gesture is all. A sorta'... human thing ah picked up." she shrugged. She leaned towards Onyx, "... An' don't go an' worry about if we don' get this one. Just means this one was a sort of learnin' experience, gettin' our foot in th' door. We'll know what t' expect when we get t' the next one."

Malka was manning the counter (Arsen was not a morning person-- but she loved his grumpy butt all the same) when she spotted them, waving and smiling as warmly as always, "Good morning Onyx and Pyrite! I'm assuming you're both here about the jobs? I didn't expect you to be here so early." she said, shooting a look at Alena, like she'd proven a point.

"As fine as ah'm sure the products are here," Pyrite said, walking over to the counter and leaning on it, "we are indeed here t' hear if we got those jobs you were offerin'."

"Well... You'll both be happy to hear that, after much consideration... I decided both of you could be a big help around the store!" Malka said, putting both of her hands together, "Congratulations! You're hired."

Pyrite grinned, throwing her hat in the air, letting out a 'victory holler', "Y' hear that Onyx?" She said, wrapping her arm around the other gem, "We got jobs now! We're gonna be gettin' value!" She let go of Onyx so that she could shake Malka's hand, doing so enthusiastically, "Ah promise ya' Malka," she tipped her hat with her other hand, "We're not about t' go disappointin' ya'. That'sa' promise." Pyrite paused, "... Just when do we begin workin' now?"

"I would say later today, if both of you are up for it." Malka said, trying to keep her hand steady with Pyrite's wide handshake, "I can schedule you and get you started with what your positions are."

Onyx tilted her head somewhat, understanding her reasoning the moment she brought up humans. Well, to a point. "Ohhhh.. Humans really don't care about urgency if one person is willing to open a door for a bunch of people, then, huh?" She off-handedly asked-- she'd understand soon enough-- and then listened closely to Pyrite when she told her not to worry if they weren't going to get the job. "Oh, sure! Of course! There's always next time!" She smiled up at Pyrite, and then when she turned away from her, her face got slightly more anxious, as if worrying about the outcome in her head. "..Second time's the charm, Onyx.." She muttered to herself, right up until she looked up at the one manning the counter, Malka (wouldn't she be 'woman-ing' the counter, then?), and then her smile came back on her face. Seems she usually had that effect on people.

Onyx held her breath the whole time, after being so talkative and considerate during the interview, letting Pyrite be her mouthpiece the whole time. As soon as Malka brought up thinking over adding them as employees, she practically froze like a stone (well, like a stone would be a bit on the nose).. right up until she revealed that she decided on hiring them. Pyrite's celebration simply could not compare to Onyx's, and her actions were almost faster than the human (and Pyrite's) eyes.

"..Eeeeeeeeeeeyeeeeeeeeahahahaaaaaaaouch!" Onyx was shaking where she stood and slowly crouched down before bounding up into the air like a spring.. and then promptly coming back down after hitting the ceiling with a dull thud. She was still on both feet, clutching her head with one hand and raising one in victory. "Owww.. Yeeeeeeeah.." She weakly continued her interrupted cheer as she nursed her head injury, even celebrating alongside Pyrite as she put an arm around her. "Value.. So much value.." She groaned, raising her head up once her companion let go.

"Later's fine!" She responded to Malka, finally regaining her enthusiasm after it was hindered by her little stunt. "We'll be able to start as soon as possible!"

Just then, Arsen kicked open the door behind the counter with a broom held upside down, as if about to beat the stuffing out of a threat. "What the hell was that noise? Malka, if you're messing with the toys again, I already told you, they're for the goddamned cus--" He stopped once he looked forward, seeing both Onyx and Pyrite with a look of surprise on his face. At that moment, his face went from surprised to bitter. "..tomers."

If Pyrite's reaction was enthusiastic, then Onyx's was... Well, she was certainly very eager. But, Malka thought as she shook Pyrite's hand, that was good! It meant they'd be more than willing to do the job right. Or at least try to. Seeing Onyx in pain, a look of concern spread across her face, "Are you--" Like a toy wounded up, Onyx was all smiles again. As if the injury had never happened, "... Alright?" Still, Malka wasn't a stranger to putting on a smile to hide any pain, "Are you sure you're okay? I don't want to put someone with a serious head injury to work... if you need an extra day to recoup from that, then I understand--" Once again, Malka was interrupted, this time by Arsen.

Malka cleared her throat, gesturing to him, "This would be Arsen-- he's one of the people working here. I think I mentioned him yesterday, in our interview."

Pyrite nodded, "Ah recall seein' him 'round this store." She stuck her hand out to him, "Nice t' actually meet ya'. Me an' Onyx'll be workin' at this here estahblishment-- It's mighty fine from what ah can tell! Can't wait t' start th' work."

Looking at Arsen, Malka knew he wasn't one for playing nice... But maybe, he wouldn't be too abrasive here.

Arsen looked over at Malka, who formally introduced him for the gems. Arsen's gaze shifted right back to them, specifically Pyrite, who would step forward and raise a hand for him to shake. The most Arsen did was shoot her a dirty look, then flip the broom he was holding the right way and nonchalantly swept the floor behind the counter. "Issat so?" Arsen coldly responded to her explanation, just idly sweeping. "Just don't get too comfy,"

Onyx blinked, tilting her head. "Hm? What do you mean?"

"Are you slow?" Arsen stopped sweeping to point at the door. "I won't judge your appearances. You guys could have hats bigger than the entrance, and I wouldn't give a damn. Just make sure it's appropriate for the job, whatever. But.." He looked at Pyrite, while still pointing at the door, as if leaving her hanging wasn't enough. "You. Really, were you raised in captivity? Do you not know how a door works? I'm sure if Alena over there didn't inform you, you'd be stuck there until closing hours. Now, I'm sure you're smarter than that, but something tells me you're stuck in the old age. Western clothes aside." His eyes narrowed. "Your job won't focus on that, obviously, but just remember you're security. Not a deputy. Savvy?"

Arsen would then point at Onyx afterwards. "And now, you. I'm assuming you think this is some kind of game, but it isn't. It's a fucking job. Treat it like that. Now, it's not the army or something-- god forbid the both of you enlist someday, if at all-- But with how you bounce around like that, I'm afraid you'll forget what you're supposed to do. Don't." Arsen sneered at the both of them after that. "Malka may have hired you, thinking you're the best choices for this job, but that doesn't mean I should think that."

Onyx blinked, then looked at the young man, pouting at him. "What's your problem..?"

"My problem?" Arsen looked at the both of them, then made it explicitly clear. "I don't trust you. You two seem like more you would scare the hell outta customers than help bring more to the store. And unless you prove your worth, I doubt that'll change for me."

Onyx seemed especially hurt by his response, judging by how her pout turned into a frown. "But.. Arsen, we--"

"And I haven't given the say-so to call me by my damn first name!" He callously barked at Onyx, causing her to flinch somewhat. "That's Mr. Monitt to you, missy. Until you earn the privilege, you're stickin' to formalities. The both of you." His gaze up at Pyrite with the same distrustful glare, seemingly unaffected by her imposing figure.

Onyx just stood there, and let her arms fall to her sides, looking away like a puppy that was just scolded for doing something wrong. "That's stupid.." She murmured under her breath.

"Excuse me? You wanna keep your job?" Arsen looked right back at Onyx, looking like he was about to whack her with the broom for a second. "Malka might have accepted you, but I'll make sure that decision's null and void in seconds."

"Malka's been super friendly to us this whole time, from the time we've been in here, to the interview, to now. She didn't say anything about being formal, or calling her Mrs. Malka or something." She clenched her fist as she continued, looking at Arsen with a legitimately angry face. "And then you come along, thinking you're the boss, and telling us what to do! Isn't she calling the shots?"

"That's.. You little--" Arsen gripped the broom in his hands, hard, until his hands turned a pinkish-red.. but then, his hands relaxed, and he sighed in an aggravated tone. "Whatever. I don't care what you say or think. Bottom line? I don't trust in you or either of your abilities. I just wanted to make sure we're clear on that. Get it? Got it?" Arsen looked at the two gems in a hostile manner. "Good. I'll be out then. Welcome to the job." With that, he walked back into the back room, still sweeping all the way in there.

..And he left Pyrite without a handshake.

Last edited:
Pyrite raised at eyebrow at what Arsen said, "Now, what're you-" she barely had a chance to answer before Arsen went on with his rant. He didn't touch her hand. He went on, calling her out for not 'knowing how a door works' (it was a leaning experience, for one)... and for her general appearance. She slowly put her hand down, peering at him in annoyance, "At least an 'old age' gal like me don't curse at th' chickens before they've even hatched..." She muttered under her breath, crossing her arms. Like hell he'd get that handshake now.

Who gave a damn what he thought. He's not the one who hired them. He was acting like someone went and stuck that broom so far up, he was spitting splinters. Onyx was the one to finally say what she was thinking-- just what the hay his problem was about all this? She peered at Arsen again. Yeah, same here buddy-- how many customers has he gone and scared away? Why, if it was up to her, then... He went and yelled at Onyx for what was a honest mistake-- No, Malka hadn't even requested for them to be that formal! She was perfectly civil to them! Pyrite tightened the grip on her arms, honestly ready to go and grab Onyx and head out, saying they quit if they were going to be treated like this.

Malka furrowed her brow. She already allowed Arsen to go too far on this, "Arsen--" He didn't stop. Malka looked at Alena, like she was asking for some sort of help with this.

Alena only shrugged. She wouldn't say anything, knowing Malka would only get upset at her for what she wanted to say out loud... Sure, he was being harsh here. But it's not like she didn't think some what of he was saying here.

Pyrite glared at Arsen, putting her hand near her gem. Go ahead, make that first move. She dared him to. See where it led him if that son of a--

"Arsen!" Thank god Arsen backed down. She watched as Arsen made his way into the back room, aggressively sweeping all the way. She swallowed, looking back at them.

"... Quite th'... introduction he went an' made fer himself. He do this with everyone?" Pyrite asked, looking at the back door, already prepared if he wanted to show his face again.

"Kind of." Alena answered, shrugging, "He has some prickly skin. I've dealt with worse."

Malka gave Alena a look, before inhaling. She exhaled, wanting to choose her words carefully after that... rough encounter, "Don't... worry about what he said. Just focus on doing a good job. ... I'm sure you'll warm up to each other eventually." She tried to give an encouraging smile, but her eyes seemed elsewhere, riddled with worry.

"... Hey Malka." Pyrite said quietly, leaning towards Malka.

"Mm?"

"... Mind makin' sure we're not in th' position t' interact with him much? ... Or at least so Onyx ain't, anyways." Pyrite felt like she might never forgive him for the look he put on Onyx's face.

Malka had put them to work soon enough... making sure that their first shift would be when she was at the counter. From then on, she promised herself she would give Arsen and the new employees a chance to bond sometime, but... the most she ended up doing was scheduling them when she and Arsen were alone, never when the latter was by himself. She knew he had a tendency to stay by himself, but... that 'what if' hung in the back of her mind.

"What?" Alena commented once, when she was buying some coffee. She looked at Pyrite leaning near the door. She tipped her hat at her, "You afraid the guy's gonna run them out of the shop or something?"

"Well..." Yes. Exactly.

... Work went smoothly enough for Pyrite. Not many tough customers other than the occasional one who had a little too much to drink, and at most those needed a little push outside to get the message. She helped with stocking the store, easily carrying some of the heavier supplies they got from time to time. While getting her share of looks from customers, she found them more amusing than upsetting. She'd greet them with a 'howdy', tipping her hat, and it often elicited a chuckle as they entered the store. She tried not to look at Arsen. Kind of upset her too much. Even for the satisfaction that looking at her made him just as red.

Today, it was the gems and Malka scheduled to work. At least until Arsen came in. Malka hummed to herself, looking at the calendar. In a few days, the next month would start, and she'd have to pay Pyrite and Onyx... and today, the rent had to be paid... She stared at the calendar, looking at the day circled in red ink. Today the rent had to be paid! How could she have forgotten! She couldn't let that be over-due! She looked at the clock. If she went out now, she'd be able to pay it on time, but... Onyx had worked the counter well enough once she was trained, and Pyrite could always be depended on to protect the shop and stock...

"I have to go out." Malka said, putting on her coat and making sure she had her checkbook with her, "Can you two hold down the fort while I'm gone?"

"This shop could have th' wind threatenin' t' tear it down, an' we still wouldn't move from our positions." Pyrite said with a thumbs up, "Y' can count on us t' watch the shop while yer out. Do whatcha' have to."

Malka smiled, "Thank you. If Arsen comes and he wonders where I am, well..." she paused, "Technically, I am still in town."

"We'll relay th' message." Pyrite said, "Now go an' do that thing yer gettin' yerself all worried about."

Malka thanked them again before heading out and driving off.

Pyrite exhaled, looking at Onyx, "... That Arsen fellow can't go an' give us a break, now can he? Not that ah'm lookin' fer his approval in th' first place. Heck, can y' even get his approval? Ah doubt it!." she grabbed a nearby broom, aggressively sweeping, "Pyrite! Onyx! You ain't-- aren't looking at customers the right why! You gotta scowl some'more!" she said in a growly voice. She knew on occasion that Alena woman laughed at her Arsen impression (but it didn't seem like they were on any friendlier terms-- same to her, really). Malka would suppress a giggle, but ask her not to make fun of fellow co-workers. But was she wrong?

Onyx would watch with a slightly angry face as Arsen walked off after that whole debacle. The nerve of that guy! Just who did he think he was? As far as he was concerned, he was an employee like the rest of them! ..However, she couldn't help but feel like he was having a bad day or something. Yeah, that had to be it. Maybe too many bad moments with formerly hired employees. Her face fell into a more pensive look as she seemed to drown out what the others were saying, at least up until they were finally put to their first day of work.

Arsen was more of a reclusive worker around the store, only ever coming out to restock when some items were missing and sweeping the floor, but only during seemingly random intervals. Whenever he saw or even crossed paths with the gems, the most they ever got out of him was a scoff and a roll of the eyes. Despite this, Onyx tried to ignore his attitude and give him smiles and waves anyway (which Arsen just found creepy somehow).

Soon enough, the gems had been working enough to be used to their area in a couple of days.. But what came as a small shock to Onyx was when Malka had to leave for a moment, which left them to man the station while they were gone. From there, while they were working, they did a few things to humor themselves.. One of which would be Pyrite's Arsen impression, which got a bit of a chuckle out of her. "Hey, come on, Pyrite.. Ease up a little, will you? Hahaha.." She tried chuckling under her breath, but it somehow found a way as she was stocking products on shelves. Sure, he was rather abrasive, but insults wouldn't make a friend out of him either-- even if they were, on some level, truthful.

It was at that point that the man of the hour opened the back door, looking around to see that Malka was gone-- just as she had texted him a moment ago-- and with a sigh, he'd take a seat behind the counter.. all while hearing Onyx's laughter. Just what the hell was so funny?

"Oh, did someone tell a joke? Something about me, I'm guessing?" He glared over at Onyx, who had quickly held her breath hearing his reply, and saw Pyrite's held pose while gripping the broom in her hands. "Care to share? I'm sure it ought to be really freakin' hilarious." He shook his head disapprovingly. "Just get back to work, you two. I heard the news from Malka on my cell phone-- I'm sure you know what that is, Onyx." Arsen stared at Onyx for a second, before focusing on Pyrite. "They're definitely not those old candlestick looking ones that I'm sure you remember, though. Anyways, she's gone to pay off something, leaving me to man the counter. Which means.." He lay back in his chair. "You're both stuck with me. And I'm stuck with the both of you. So long as you don't screw up, you won't hear a peep from me." His gaze went back and forth between the two of them. "So don't screw up. And don't gimme a reason to make a peep."

"... Uh." Pyrite froze, realizing she'd been caught, "... Just sweepin' real hard, Mr. Monitt." Pyrite said, putting an emphasis on how he said he wanted to be addressed. She propped the broom up, laying it against the wall, "An' it all looks real clean now." She looked back to Arsen, glowering at him when he mentioned she didn't know what a 'cell phone' was (she actually didn't-- but she doubted he'd take the time to even explain anyways. Probably rather use it like they did the 'door incident').

"We'll do as fine a job as ever, Mr. Mon-nett." The last syllable had a harsh emphasis. He didn't need to speak to them like they were two kids in the stable. She looked away, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. Pyrite pushed up her hat, looking at him, and then back to Onyx. A watchful eye on both of them. She already saw Onyx with that look once, and she wasn't about to let it happen again.

Situated in the store was a bulletin board, plastered with papers of various colors. General announcements, other offerings for jobs, lost pets... One from animal control-- 'Unidentified, grey gangly creature spotted. Thought to maybe be a coyote or wolf. If spotted, do not approach, but instead call...'

A grey-furred creature crept through town, slightly growling in distress. It looked to be far bigger than the average wolf... Despite it's lack of eyes, it looked sharply towards the store front. As if it sensed something. Situated in it's fur, on it's 'face' was something that glinted in the light. It growled again, pawing at the ground.

Arsen would only narrow his eyes at Pyrite, hearing that her tone of voice got more sassy the next time she addressed him. "I can only hope you'll do a good job, or that won't look very good for us otherwise, now will it?" He spat back at her. He didn't need this. Honestly, he would have just dealt with the rent himself if Malka hadn't left on her own. That outcome would have been much better than simply watching these two work like some kind of babysitter.. which wasn't his forte anyways.

As Onyx would continue to stack up cans in a particular shelf just to placate Arsen's complaints, she would look around occasionally.. specifically towards the bulletin board, where she would spot things such as the one from animal control. Now, she wasn't one for knowing what Earth's creatures are-- she needed help identifying what birds were called-- but the idea that it may be lost or anything of the sort made her worry. She went back to stacking cans, wanting to be on good terms with Arsen as quickly as possible.

..Wait. What was that? She stopped to look over to the see-through doors of the store entrance, thought to have seen something from the corner of her eye. Was it that creature..? "Uh.. Ar-- Mr. Monitt..?"

"What?" He asked bluntly, almost as if annoyed.

"Well, uh.. was there any.. news about a creature walking through town and causing trouble?"

"..What the hell are you on about?" He quirked an eyebrow, glaring right at the gem. "If this is some half-assed way to drum up a conversation and get out of doing work--"

"It's not, I swear!" Onyx looked at him with a serious glint in her eye, looking back at the entrance, and then the bulletin board. Something was seriously wrong. "I'm just a bit worried.. I've been seeing a few things pointing to the idea, and now I have a bad feeling.."

"Y' don't need t' go an' talk t' her lahk like." Pyrite spoke up, "She's bringin' up a perfectly reasonable concern. Now, trust me when ah say ah've dealt with some animals that just went an' wondered int' the wrong town. Wouldn't want Malka t' come back t' a wrecked shop, now would we?" In truth, Pyrite wasn't that worried about Onyx's concerns either. Given that she was unfamiliar with Earth's environment as it was, she didn't blame her for being so worried about every creature she saw. Pyrite had the same uncertainty about animals... the less said about her first encounter with a horse, the better. She figured Onyx could use a little reassuring.

"However, Malka went an' hired me t' be the security around here, an' that's just what ah'm gonna do. Ah don't have any qualms 'bout dealin' with some furry critters, lahk..." Pyrite looked outside, seeing if she could maybe use an example, "That one out there! Th' gangly grey one who... don't look t' have... any eyes?" Pyrite did a double take, peering outside. That... didn't look like any creature she recognized.

The creature made a noise that sounded like barking before charging at the shop. A loud thud sounded as it ran into the front of the shop. Getting itself up, it pushed it's paws against one of the windows, again continuing it's barking. Continuing to push against the window, it was cracking with the amount of force used.

"Well, I'm sorry, but suddenly shootin' the shit about some creature pissing about in town like it owns the place? Doesn't that sound like an excuse to you?" Arsen countered, crossing his arms as he looked at Pyrite and then back at Onyx. "Besides, it's probably not even a big deal. It's probably some wild animal who got lost and is roaming around town. Possibly hungry or something, I dunno. Why is this even a discussion? Just fuckin' let someone else handle it; there are people trained to do that, y'know." He narrowed his eyes at them, losing his patience once again. Being someone who's lived on Earth his whole life, this would be the regular response: "it's probably no big deal, just let the people with the specific job handle it". When Pyrite suggested she'd take care of it, Onyx got more concerned, Arsen more agitated. "Oh, wait, Pyrite-- please don't go out there by yourself! At least let me back you up!"

"What the hell?! No!" Arsen shouted, placing his hands on the counter as Pyrite got the idea to go outside, somehow missing her mention of the description of a hypothetical creature.. but little did he know, it wasn't quite hypothetical. "Your job is lending security to this store and anything that comes inside it or is terrorizing the outside of it! And as far as I can tell, there's no such thing your friend's talking about coming in here, and there sure as shit aren't any animals coming here, doing obnoxious crap like tapping on the glass! So stay your ass in--" Arsen stopped once he looked at the glass, seeing.. a rather odd-looking creature out there, fitting the description Pyrite gave. "..Here?"

Soon enough, it made a barking noise that caused him to flinch, before charging and slamming into the front of the shop, much to his and Onyx's horrified surprise. "Whoa, wha-- holy shit!" Arsen immediately ducked behind the counter to protect himself, while Onyx ran over to the front along with Pyrite, seeing the window slowly break as she pulled out her weapon posthaste. "Huh?! What is this thing?!"

Last edited:
Pyrite had the same idea, pulling out her gun and readying it with a sharp click, "I... Ah don't have any idea! Ah've never seen any no-eyed-beast like that before!" She aimed her gun at the creature, who paused it's force on the window. Despit it's lack of eyes, it seemed to looking right at them. ... She lowered her gun. She couldn't shoot in here-- not unless she wanted to make a hole in the shop. Got banned from a lot of places for doing that. Couldn't let that... whatever it is in here either, or else the window would the least of the damage done, "... Onyx, if y' really wanna help here, be sure t' keep that thing away from th' shop. Don' wanna go an' damage the shop we're meant to protect." She turned towards the counter Arsen was hiding behind.

"Arsen, keep your butt in here! Don' go anywhere near that thing while ah go an do my job." With that being said, she ran out as the moment of 'peace' with the creature was ending and it looked ready to try and shatter the window.

"Hey you!" Pyrite called out.

The creature actually stopped pushing on the window, craning its head at Pyrite.

"Yeah, ah mean you, y' ugly no-eyed mutt!"

It shoved itself off of the window, breaking the bottom portion and sending some glass shards to scatter inside. From the bottom of it's throat came a few, guttural growls that turned into barks, almost acting as a warning before it charged itself at Pyrite.

Onyx watched as Pyrite dashed right out of the shop to deal with the monster, not even having a chance to protest before she left. All she could do is watch as she distracted the monster, with her face getting more and more worried for her companion as she bravely, as she put it, did her job.

"Y'think I don't know that, you--" Arsen had popped his head out to talk back to Pyrite.. and then he went back to hiding when the window broke, causing Onyx to flinch backwards and Arsen to curse loudly as he went back into hiding behind the counter.

Pyrite narrowed her eyes, her arm in front of her as she tried to aim. She shot off the gun once, a flash of light literally coming out out of the barrel of the gun... It went by the creature, hitting the ground instead. Not having enough time to readjust her aim, she shot two more times-- it was the third one that actually hit the creature.

The blast of light caused the creature to take a tumble to the ground, rolling in the dirt.

"How d'ya' lahk that, y'-" Pyrite didn't have time to complete that remark as the creature got right back up, pouncing at Pyrite with it's jaw's wide. Instinctively, Pyrite put her gun in front of her.

The creature ended up biting that, gnawing at it from the side.

With one hand griping her gun, the other was pushing against the creature and trying to get it free, "Come'on y'-- y' gangly mutt!" Pyrite winced as it scratched at her, tearing some of the clothes on her form.