Dark of Night (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarthath, with in the Queen’s private chambers.

Sarthath was pleased to see that she understood that this was business now and that it was time to speak about how to protect their lands and especially their shared daughter. Listening to the Queen speak of her manipulative plan, it cause his smile to come back upon his face. “You know it still surprises me how manipulative and devious elves truly are.” Sarthath stated. He then nodded as he agreed with this plan. “I do believe that the humans, are the most suspicious, because my spy’s have heard rumors that there a Knight, known as the Black Knight. There story goes that this knight posses only a small fraction of the Blade of Shade’s power and once a sword is in this knights hands, it can transfer some of this fraction into the sword and make a small Blade of shade. This worries me only because it could possibly be true.” Sarthath stated, the emotion of worry that has never been shown upon the kings face was finally starting to bloom.

Sarthath, still looked around the room and felt uneasy. “Hmmm…..” He hummed out thinking and sniffing the air it looked like he was a Lycan hunting his prey with how he sniffed the air. “Mikal was probably correct on leaving and making your soldiers work double time. There might be a being here who caries battles of…..” He sniffed the air again but the smell was to faint for his to detect anymore. “The smell is gone but, if the scent was right it should be a human, nothing to worry about, your guards or mine will take care of that fact.” He let out knowing his son, or Dalton would be the ones to take out the threat with their sense of smell.

Shin and Dalton outside of the Queens private chambers.

Shin looked at the girls and smiled. “Do not worry, Vycera, that was Mikal, he hates most creature that are not fully light beings. Like Dalton and you, but he might of sensed that and probably busted up security.” Shin sated trying to ease Vycera’s worry but it probably wasn’t working. Shin turned to look, Robin seeing her get blushed red made him chuckle just a bit. “Yeah my father does that a lot. Also I just wanted to say it, so I did I hope I did not hurt your feelings or are you just playing with this poor prince’s feelings?” He said poking fun with her. Dalton then looked at the girls. “Do not worry any of you about Mikal he can’t do anything since we are here now under the protection of the dragon kingdom.” Dalton said making sure they were reassured that they wouldn’t need to worry. At this moment Dalton’s nose smelt something off. Lycans senses of hearing and smell were even more heighten then the dragons which made them that more threatening. Dalton looked off towards a crowd at the end of the corridor. Dalton smelt a human; humans had no hardly any magical ability all they could do was fight with weapons. Since there was a whole place full of elves, some dragons, Lycan, and then shins two female friends. So if this human tried to do anything, he would surely be killed, or captured. “Ok, I think we should, start heading to the entrance of the ballroom. The party hasn’t started yet, but we can wait there or we can stay here.” Shin asked them wondering there opinions.

Mikal, standing with some guards.

Mikal was, standing with two Guards greeting the guests. He was just doing his normal thing, but he decided to walk outside on a balcony just for a second to starting reading his book. When he read his books it was his chance to meditate. He was just sitting there enjoying the sound of the wind and the words of his books. Mikal then closed his book and looked around. “What is this world getting to………” he said sighing greatly.

Vycera, still looking worried about Mikal leaving so quickly, shifts her attention between Shin and Robin a moment as her eyes land on Dalton. It took a moment of inspecting him for Shin's comment about them not being "fully light beings," for what Dalton really was to sink in. The entire fight in the Queen's chambers made sense to her now. "What'd you mean exactly by 'busted up security'?" she asks nervously. Her eyes quickly sweep around her looking for guards to see if anyone had been notified of her other half.

Nodding her head, Vycera agrees with Shin
"We should start heading out of here..." Realizing Robin had already mentioned what she was about to say, her attention shifts towards her, muttering "You're right, though. We should try to avoid Mikal as best we can.." Making a motion towards both Robin and Dalton as she says we. As she finishes what she's saying, Vycera makes eye contact with Robin in an effort to communicate through the way she looked how worried she was about Mikal.

“You know it still surprises me how manipulative and devious elves truly are.” Sarthath stated.

"I've learned from the best, haven't I?" Hadaio nodded towards him, giving credit where credit is due. A woman can learn a lot of new tricks from old dragons.

“I do believe that the humans, are the most suspicious, because my spy’s have heard rumors that there's a Knight, known as the Black Knight. There story goes that this knight posses only a small fraction of the Blade of Shade’s power and once a sword is in this knights hands, it can transfer some of this fraction into the sword and make a small Blade of shade. This worries me only because it could possibly be true.” Sarthath stated, the emotion of worry that has never been shown upon the kings face was finally starting to bloom.

The folds of worry upon his face were not fake. Hadaio knew when Sarthath lies; just something one picks up from personal knowledge about someone. She knew those rumors against him were false, for only a father would use unexplained, unorthodox methods to protect his little girl.

But, regardless, this new information is something to worry about. "I haven't heard of this," Hadaio frowned, standing from her seat to slowly cross the room. It was one thing to have a known threat before you, one with a face, a name; one tangible, that you can reach out and snuff out with your thumb. But, an unknown - a shadow of a figment; one with half of the strength, dangerous with accessibility due to your lack of knowledge... That was far, far more dangerous.

From her silence, Kali read her desires and quietly exited the room to report to General Leonius about this new threat. "Is he allied with Vladimir," Queen Hadaio turned around to face Sarthath with her frustrated questions, "...a fabricated sellsword working for whoever wishes to place harm against us, or one who seeks glory through darkness for his own self-absorbed pleasures? Regardless, we can't take this lightly. I can't believe there's dangers against us from Dorrie such as this!"

Just then, Sarthath demeanor shifted to that of a hunter. “Hmmm…..” He hummed out thinking and sniffing the air. He didn't register her words, for his senses had taken over. Hadaio knew that look.

"Sarthath, what is it?"

“Mikal was probably correct on leaving and making your soldiers work double time. There might be a being here who caries battles of…..”
He sniffed the air again. “The smell is gone but, if the scent was right it should be a human. Nothing to worry about, your guards or mine will take care of that fact.”

"Nothing to worry about?" Hadaio stepped forward now, clearly shaken from his previous announcement about the Knight. "It's quite obvious that we cannot take favor of anyone anymore. Human or not, they are a threat to me now as well, until this... prophecy passes without fatalities!"

Regardless of how breathtaking her attire is, how immaculate her palace was, and how perfect this day was set out to be; it was obvious that the stresses of a single mother protecting her children, her home, her people, the world; was weighing heavy on Hadaio's heart. Her flawless features began to show age, which is uncommon for an Elf, but possible. Stress and fear tormented her enough to actually show upon her face - faint, but visible to the gifted eyes of the one who knows her almost better than she knows herself.

Last edited:
The castle around her had evolved in an almost indescribable way; perhaps it's easiest to just say she could tell she was no longer supposed to be here. Everything was more fancy, the air was thicker and more endowed, the guards that patrol kept throwing her glances. Honestly, she was surprised that one hadn't stopped her yet. Perhaps they thought she was supposed to be here, only because someone who looked as powerless as she felt right now wouldn't just be mosey-ing about the private quarters of the damned royal palace. She was a maid, after all. Somehow, she knew she was going in the right direction, despite her lack of internal compass. Something told her and seemed to keep her going, maybe it was how the hallways seemed to be expanding before her. Everything seemed larger, yet somehow she caught the irrational sense of claustrophobia from it.

She caught the tip of her loafer against the ground and stumbled-- but just a bit-- only to see a guard behind her, walking at a healthy clip. Hah, the cynic in her head laughed out soundlessly. After a moment to collect herself she found herself before a huge door... something was off about it. Somehow she felt she couldn't open it, and if she tried, there would just be a brick wall behind it. It felt like a room didn't exist beyond it. She was unfamiliar with magic, so that thought never crossed her mind. She wanted to leave, go back to the more public area find a broom and continue that meager living, something was ticking at her though. It wouldn't go away, and at that instant she felt like even if the feeling wasn't nice, she was sure this was right where she was supposed to be. The human was pulled away from her thoughts by the sensation of something moving from her forehead, to her cheek. She almost jumped, it surprised her so much. A small bead of perspiration that had been a result of her multiplying thoughts. Her thin arm lifted in that causal, non-shallot manner that most people took up when visiting a friend or neighbor. Another thought.

"Do elves like humans?" the thought waded into her head like a bloated, drowned body. Sure, they hired her as a maid but... did they genuinely like humans? She cleared her throat and finally did it. She didn't let it stop her, and she wasn't even sure if their was a room beyond this doors. She sure didn't know that they were sealed away by magic. At this point, she was flustered enough that she didn't even notice the two discussing not too far from her.

She knocked on the door, not even entirely sure what was on the inside, her eyes wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Phi Chisym
Among the hustle of the masses gathering around the Gaahalo palace, a fresh face had newly arrived... though perhaps it would be more accurate to say there was a distinct lacking of a certain individual's visage. What appeared to be a young woman, donned in a well-embroidered, dark-gray cloak with its hood pulled over top of her head--regardless of whether or not such a thing could be comfortable in the current weather--mingled in closely with the rest of the civilian populace. This was certain to draw the eyes of some, especially the numerous, ever-vigilant guards posted in and around the civilization around the palace, but it wasn't uncommon to see unfamiliar figures gathering for such an important occasion.

That's what made times of joy so dangerous.

Several weeks ago, this certain cloaked figure had marched into a military post clutching a piece of parchment with a job offer. The local pro-Gaahalo law enforcement and military would likely always be wary of any murderous intent sleeping within their borders, no matter how quiet the rumor's whisper or the likely-hood of such things ever coming to fruition. They were at war with an enemy that has proven quite powerful. Anyone would be a fool to leave things to chance with the way things are now; after all, while axes and shields were used to fight wars, it was always cloaks and daggers that won them. One mistake, one slip-up, and the even something as "simple" as a royal birthday could mark the day of their passing as well.

However, there was a lot of ground to cover, and with a war going on, every side needed to carefully manage both their offensive and defensive strategies. That's where she, and the others like her, came in. Whatever ugly rumors that the military didn't have time to deal with were posted up as job offerings for adventurers and sell-swords, offering in coin what the soldiers could not afford with time. For this young woman, politics are usually something she doesn't involve herself with. She doesn't have any particular land to call home or leader to follow, so it's not worth the headache of choosing sides in a lethal debate of ideology. Even talk of "prophecies" were nothing more than childish superstitions to her--it was as though Gaahalo and its enemies were killing each other over which ending of a fairy-tale book they preferred. It was a disgusting concept, so normally she stuck to helping old farmers protect their land, or keeping watch on a jailhouse for a night or two.

Yet, all the same, the cloaked figure took up a contract posted by the Gaahalo Military... because this time, the situation was much, much different.

Around the palace, it was easy to get lost among the criss-crossing of those come to set up in preparation of the celebration and those come to do nothing more than experience it. Market stalls were wide open, hoping to take advantage of the busier streets to sell their wares, and performers were warming up their talents. There was a lot of culture here, and the whole world seemed livelier for it. Almost too lively. Conversations around the festival grounds had to resort to mouth-to-ear shouting to be understood over the hammering of nails and the sea of incoherent pre-festivities going on, which left the shrouded young woman dizzy with ear-aches. She hated crowds, and to call the swarm of people around her a crowd would be a vast understatement. With annoyed desperation, her hood swayed left and right, seeking out some sort of shelter from the auditory chaos swirling throughout the capital.

Finally, she found what appeared to be an unoccupied bench set up next to a rather young, yet sturdy tree. It wasn't much, but there was a small break in the crowd that flowed along the walkways surrounding it. The mysterious woman strode towards it quickly before its vacancy was captured by another passer-by, and gracefully placed herself into its seat, laying her head back to let out a sigh of some relief. She came back to her composure a moment later, sitting upright and attentive as her hands fished out a small stack of paper from a pouch along her belt. She gave the images printed upon them a rather disgusted look before rising to her feet and facing towards the tree next to the bench. Elves were always rather fickle about what you did within their lands, "nature this" and "spirits that." So rather than nailing one of the papers from the stack to the tree with a small, metal spike, she had been given a small bottle of some sort of sticky sap to do the job. With a small dab onto the parchment and some firm, momentary pressure of the poster against the tree, the hooded woman stood back to give the print one last, disgruntled look over before continuing her search.

The poster displayed the image of an older man's face with a rather clever smirk spread across his face. Though you could tell the artist disliked this individual greatly, as what would normally be a rather charismatic man was muddled by the exaggeration of facial flaws. Nose too big, ears too side, eyes too beady.

There was one particular reason that she was so troubled that she had placed a lot of personal values at stake to personally address the problem, despite it being a strictly political issue. Scrolled in ornate elvish, it wasn't the list of multiple, horrible offenses committed by this particular criminal that made the hair on the back of her neck crawl...

"WANTED
for Mass Thievery, Vandalism, Assault, Murder, Treason, and Direct Threats Against the Queen and Her People.

Aven Nisari"

...it was that her father's name was on the poster.

D'shial, brushing the skirt of her bright blue dress that she took with her before leaving her master, put a warm smile on her face and made her way to a group of guests.

"Well, hey there, gorgeous!" slurred Kaic. "Why don't you come over here and sit next to me?"

She froze for a moment. Should she speak? No. She didn't want anyone to notice.

She shook her head.

"C'mon!" the dwarf shouted. "Don't you know who I am?! I am Kaic, dwarven ambassador of Kai Pyro!"

D'shial averted her eyes.

"Fine! I can get a piece of Meria! Servant! Moar ale!"

The servant reluctantly poured more ale into his mug.

Do all dwarvies acts like this? thought D'shial. I might has a better time if all dwarvies gots drunk all the times. The thought made her smirk a little.
--
Meria nudged Celesta hard. "I said how long has this been going on between Nahra and Erlan, is it allowed, and does Mother know about it?" she whispered, almost hissing into her sister's ear.

In the Royal Waiting Room

Meria stepped over to Celesta and leaned toward her pointed ear. "How long has this been going on between Erlan and Nahra?"she whispered."Is it even allowed? Does Mother know about it?"

Celesta was lost in her thoughts, the ones that stood before her brought about several things that took over her concentration, but the most prominent one was the slight shift in the wind that alerted her of something amist within the castle. Koven, astute as always, warned her of several newcomers that held an air about them that might pose to be a danger to them and their own. She physically stiffened; her right hand unconsciously settling on the hilt of her blessed sword – awakening it silently.

Meria nudged Celesta hard. "I said how long has this been going on between Nahra and Erlan, is it allowed, and does Mother know about it?" she whispered,almost hissing into her sister's ear.

She broke herself from the outside world, “Oh…um… I’m sure she knows; she knows everything around this place,” she noted. “I’m surprised that Nahra doesn’t realize anything herself. You should really have that talk with her… Well, no… Better yet, I will. She doesn’t need your promiscuous influences teaching her anything about men and their place.” Celesta teased her sister harshly, but all in love.

Stepping away, Celesta reached for the door, “I’ll be back. There’s something I’ve got to check up on before the festivities begin.” Without another word, she slipped out the door before anyone protested.

With one finger against the center of her forehead, Celesta called upon a spell to alter her persona. Her clothing and visage portrayed an older magistrate dressed for the occasion. She slipped herself within the crowd of nobility and entered the throne room. Koven stood before the door, announcing the noted groups as they entered to settle themselves for the royal processional began. The look on his face was stern, as always, but frustrated, for he could sense the presence of death and darkness, the traits of a vampire, but could not find the one who held such. He called for his charges aid, knowing that together, their abilities heightens.

“Whoever it is, they’re within this room.”

Celesta took her Guardian’s words and scanned the room, now filled with hundreds of people with more streaming in. Silently, she alerted the guards that stood on the second floor around the floor. “We’re unsure who the threat is, but manage your skills and search carefully. If Koven can’t sniff them out, then they’re using a very powerful cloaking spell of some sort. I might need the aid of a Master Sufa. See who is available to help us!”

The royal guards watched with keen senses heightened down over the throne room full of people – reading each one for some sort of magic floating around them. Koven began to slowly walk about the room, using his nose to guide him forward. It was like searching for a needle in a haystack….

"And you're truly lowering your prices for this event? You'll never survive, Olvr!" Quacin, the Orc Smithy guzzled down another pint of ale before slamming his mug down on the oak bar to motion towards his good friend for a refill - and for a better ear to heed his sound advice. "It's celebrations such as these that blesses a business owner with newcomers who hold no knowledge of your 'regular prices'. Therefore, raise them, bless yourself and your family with a bounty for the season to save for the next."

"I've always done so during holidays," the silver merchant, Tuskerway announced, "It's no harm to it, and all are satisfied if the rate doesn't exceed too far over standard."

Olvr shook his head, "I honestly don't see the need, my friends. Our businesses and our household are doing fine, and we have no complaints. I just don't feel proper blessing myself during such a joyful occasion by thieving others, especially within my own establishment. Is that a way to honor Princess Nahra's birthday?"

The two Orcs, now humbled at his words, shook their heads in guilt. "Ahh, we never saw it in that respect."

"True...I must rethink things through and alter my pricing, but how in the world can we survive without doing such? Silver don't sell during war."

"And even though I've managed well with assisting the royal army with swords and shields, they're mighty stocked and have pulled back their orders. It's not easy feeding eight huge mouths on my salary, ya see."

Olvr chuckled, "No Quacin, I can imagine not. Still, there's better ways to balance your finances than to cheat the people." A few more patrons entered The Drunkin’ Hippogriff, catching Olvr's attention. "Excuse me, gentlemen. I have more customers to attend to. Have another round on me, alright, and don't worry about your tabs this month. I'll waver it for now, to help you out."

The two Orcs thanked him as he stepped away to cover more orders. He was short on staff today for his wife, Pheobri, requested a few more girls to help her out at their other establishment, The Griff’s Talon Inn. They were jam-packed with visitors coming for the princess's birthday celebration, and she needed the extra help far more than he did. He had Trueen and his twin sister, Tressa, and he even offered Proust, the street urchin who every now and then chopped wood for him out back for a meal, bath, and bed for a night; a larger task inside the tavern for a week's stay in the extra room upstairs. Proust refused to stay with him and his wife at their cottage, but that was understandable; the boy's been through a lot.

With the five of them, they managed things well, but it was non-stop, day and night, without a break or others to cover shifts. Olvr and the others were starting to give out, but maintained a smile all the same before their customers. After all, this is a time of celebration no matter how hard of a day it brings.

Last edited:
As the people chatted away and ate and drank their fill, he was content sitting on the sidelines, especially after noticing the frequency of the elven patrols. What the heck is going on? Is this because of the princesses birthday? No, that couldn't have been it...they'd have raised more of a fuss if that was the case. Whatever the reason for having more patrols wandering the palace, he figured it didn't have anything to do with him yet.

"Excuse me..have you seen my ring?" His eyes scanned the room to find one of the nobles he pickpocketed, asking various partygoers and even a passing guard if they had. Shit, that went south sooner than I had anticipated..and now I'm stuck here. If I try to leave, I'll get noticed! He grabbed a few snacks from a passing server and sat at his table silently eating and keeping an eye for a opportunity to get somewhere safer.

He glanced around the room after he finished his last snack. The guards had all but made their rounds and luckily had not thought of him as a suspect for whatever yet. Best to take advantage and get out now. He stood and was ready to make a break for it when they announced that people could start coming into the room and taking seats. Slight cheers filled the room as the people began to file in, the guards eying each and every person that entered.

He sighed. Guess I'll just keep playing along for now. Seems like my only option at this point. He kept an eye on the wandering guards, especially this one in particular that was going from row to row. It was like they were looking for something...or someone. He sat at the farthest back row as to try and keep himself concealed. His weapons and potions jiggled under his makeshift clothes and he heaved a sigh of relief. Hopefully that princess gets her butt out here soon..otherwise, I'll have to improvise something.

"You're... certain?" the low voice of the young woman asked, as though equally infuriated and terrified of the answer.

The captain could only nod with grave certainty. "Yes. You can read it for yourself," he unfurled a folded note and held it out towards the much shorter figure donned in her rugged cloak. Her hand slowly reached out and gripped only the bottom edge of the document like it was something repulsive. Hidden under her hood, her eyes ransacked the entire document, studying its every complexity. Not just what it said was important... but how it was said. How it was written. With what was it written.

"Among various insults, he threatened to murder the queen and kidnap her youngest daughter on her nameday. Right there--it's as clear as a starry night," the captain's elvish was much more fluent than the common he tried to speak when the young girl first entered the room.

The threats didn't matter to her, the way that this whole document was handled did. That, paired with her father's name emboldened on the bottom made her hands almost tremble. She, of course, didn't disclose any information regarding her relationship with the author of the threat to the captain, however.

The elf raised his eyebrow. He was good--she could see that. He read her body language like a book. "Having second thou--?"

"I'll take the assignment," the young woman insisted from underneath the shade of her hood. "I'll find him... and stop him--Kill him, if necessary."

. . .

If only this were this some common criminal she was after. Even a bred-and-trained vampire assassin would be easier to deal with; in her mind, at the very least, if not in reality as well.
The young woman continued making her way through the crowd, keeping her eyes open for anyone who was even remotely suspicious. The problem was, everyone here was suspicious. She had never been this far within Gaahalo so every step she took felt foreign to her, never mind the fact that the majority of them were either in costume or sauntering around with dangerous building equipment. Flashbacks of her grueling work in the vile gutters of the dark-elven city threatened to encroach into her vision, prompting a quick biting of her lower lip and swift shake of her head to keep her focus on reality. She mustn't give up the search just yet.

After spending a little over an hour searching nearby the palace grounds and coming up empty in terms of evidence, the cloaked woman decided she would have to dig a little deeper... and to do that, she'd need a little help. Eventually, she managed to stumble upon an inn of sorts. She hated public residences, but anything was better than the pit she slept in for many months during her underground excursion. With a small, reluctant sigh, she passed through the doors as casually as she could with her nerves flicking like lightning.

As one could imagine during a festivity this large, the first floor was packed full of tourists, and it took quite a bit of patience and wading-through-people for her to find a way to the line leading to the attendant. Though it took nearly fifteen minutes for her to finally be the next one in line to speak to the inn-keeper, there was oddly no one who took their place in line behind her. Was she so intimidating, or was this just a convenient coincidence?

Whatever the case, when the man ahead of her finished his business and turned to leave, one glance at the dark, shrouded figure behind him caused him to leave the immediate vicinity rather quickly, allowing her to step up to the counter. It pleased her to see that the attendant was a human woman, a rather unexpected sight to find in a permanent business so close to the palace of the elves. Speaking a language as elaborate as elvish and attempting to imitate its heavy accent for so long had made the back of her throat sore, so it was a relief to finally speak in common again.

The young woman who approached wore a dark gray cloak of some thick and well-fashioned material. Lacy embroidery folded the hems back quite nicely and gave her a rather regal look despite the sinister air floating about her. Indeed, there was something unnerving about this girl. She was like a physical shadow that moved with nothing but purpose and kept anything related to her mortal identity hidden beneath the guide of her hood. The scent of brimstone clung closely to her presence.

"Are rooms... still available?" she asked quietly, aiming the center of her hood towards the woman across the table. She kept her head low and refused to look her in the eye as she spoke; her voice was rather proper with a hint of high-born education upon her accent. Gently, she placed her hand on the counter before slowly pulling it away, revealing a small stack of coins that would have easily been twice the expense of a private room.

Sarthath

He looked up at her and let out a small sigh, hearing her words. "Is he allied with Vladimir," Queen Hadaio turned around to face Sarthath with her frustrated questions, "...a fabricated sellsword working for whoever wishes to place harm against us, or one who seeks glory through darkness for his own self-absorbed pleasures? Regardless, we can't take this lightly. I can't believe there's dangers against us from Dorrie such as this!” Sarthath let out a deep sigh. “I sadly do not know of what this Knight wants all I know is that it is this, that it will pose us all a threat.” Sarthath stated standing up and walking over towards Hadaio. “Yes there is nothing to worry about now I am here for you, and our daughter will be fine you know I would sacrifice my life before I let anything happen to her.” He stated hold onto Hadio, embracing her so he could make her feel more comforted. “Even though I would love to stand here and hold you in my arms, we should probably start our daughter’s party. Hmmm?”He stated telling her it was time for him them to show themselves to the guests.

Shin and Dalton

Shin would turn to Vycera, seeing how she was rather concerned with herself. ”Security is higher because of a thief; I don’t care, since it’s just a human, as long as he doesn’t cross me side he can do whatever.” Shin stated, he looked around seeing all of the people here for his sister’s big day. “Mikal, really this again? Like Dalton and I have said before do not worry about him, You are both now protected by mine and my father’s name.” Shin told her trying to make sure none of them were so worried. Dalton looked at them both and was pleased with how Shin was handling the situation. Dalton would still that something as off but he ignored the fact.

Mikal

Mikal, close his book and walked back inside off of the balcony. He walked back to the Queen’s private chambers and looked surprised to see a human maid standing there. “They, don’t know you’re out here, it’s barriered off and your also quite curios aren’t you?” Mikal stated letting out a smirk. He was curious himself to find out what this maid wanted to do, if it was to clean the private chambers or I it as to ease drop on the Queen’s conversation. “Also we elf’s do like humans as long as you don’t give us a reason to hate your species, like with the Lycan and Vampire kind.” Mikal commented after the fact about her little comment she made to herself.

Right after she'd knocked on the door, she regretted it. She suddenly felt a student that was working towards what they believed was a greater-good, only to find their goal was insignificant and meaningless. Now, she was expecting a voice, but in her head it'd been loud and booming-- coming from beyond the door and instantly laying judgment upon her actions. With this said, the surprise was quite clear on her face when a voice came from else where.

A soft noise escaped her, her posture stiffened and she turned quickly. The human maid stood in silence as the one before her spoke, and he spoke of hearing little comment which was a bit embarrassing, but not to important. For a moment after he'd finished talking she'd remained silent almost seeming soft in the head for a moment however she suddenly snapped back to reality and got right to what she wanted to say to someone.

"A vampire!" Her voice seemed untamed and wild in that moment. Obviously the girl had made herself nervous on the way here, over-thinking every little thing here and there. "I-I saw one come out of a room while preforming my duties." A silence fell from her after that and she looked down, as though her brain needed a moment to process-- more evidence, something that made her not seem insane.

"Oh! I over-heard him talking about his master!" the words came out in triumphant moment of recollection. She then thought about saying 'he was in a hurry', but so was everybody else in the castle, so that hardly seemed an important point. The thought of mentioning the chill he'd gave her wondered into her head, and she felt reluctant to release it. The cynic inside her was beginning to punish her for displaying this nervous wreck in front of someone. She was sure she seemed insane.

Queen Hadaio's Chambers

Sarthath let out a deep sigh. “I sadly do not know of what this Knight wants. All I know is that it is this, that it will pose us all a threat.” Sarthath stated standing up and walking over towards Hadaio. “Yes there is nothing to worry about now I am here for you, and our daughter will be fine. You know I would sacrifice my life before I let anything happen to her.”

He embrace, as always, calmed her nerves; even after being so long apart from each other. "I know you would, Sarthath, but even that I don't wish to happen." Hadaio turned with a now peaceful demure. The man before her hadn't changed, which only made him more appealing to her. Her wishes for them to be a true family, will have to wait a little longer. It was necessary, for Nahra's sake, for her to not know who her true father is. It is tragic, but not as much as losing her...

“Even though I would love to stand here and hold you in my arms, we should probably start our daughter’s party. Hmmm?”

A light chuckle escaped and Hadaio lowered her head coyly before looking up with a slightly playful smirk, "Even though we, as rulers, can make them wait until the day; we, as leaders, shall do what's right - and not withhold the festivities any longer than we should."

With that, Hadaio lowered the barrier spell from around her chamber, and instantly registered the two people before her door. One was her Master Warnage, but the other was just a staff member.

"I believe something's going on at my chamber door..." Without warning to the others behind it, Hadaio stretched her awareness towards her door, unlocked it, and opened it from a far. She turned to face Master Mikal and the maid. "Is there a reason why my chamber door is so interesting today? It's merely a humble door." She raised her hand towards Lord Sarthath to allow him to escort her out while she waited for a response from the other two.

The Royal Waiting Room

Nahra watched her two sisters chatting at the door, but she didn't register what they were talking about. She dropped her eyes slowly towards the hand holding hers, then lifted her eyes towards Erlan. "I think the coast is clear now, Erlan," she playfully giggled, squeezing his hand lightly. "My sisters are a threat, but not to me.., at the moment." Even though she was quite comfortable with her friend's natural concern for her, she wasn't sure if Celesta or Meria would see it as such.

Celesta exited in a rush, but no one said anything about it. It was understood - their sister held the kingdom on her shoulders just as their mother did. If there was a need for her, the she must go. Nahra glanced at Meria questionably, "Was it something urgent that forced Celesta to leave, or was she tired of you irritating her?"

The Griff’s Talon Inn

"Ah, Silvia, see to the laundry room. Someone's stating that we're out of soap. If needed, here, take these coins and buy some at Kryolan's market. He's always stocked with bulks of laundry soaps he can't sell outright. Grab two barrels for now, and get back here as soon as you can. I'll have Paloma keep tabs on the maids for you."

Phoebri was already exhausted, and the day just hit mid-noon. She's missing cleaning girls, the restaurant loosed a cook and two waitresses were out sick (or skipping out in order to celebrate tonight), and now she's running out of laundry soap! What's next? Her and Olvr thought they were all set for the Princess's birthday celebration, but they miscalculated everything. Who knew there were going to be so many commoners traveling to Gaahalo for her 100th? The Griff's Talon Inn was a madhouse, it seems, overflowing with patrons of high status; all demanding things her establishment provides - but not have the hands to supply. She was understaffed this day and refused to beg her husband to loan her more assistants from the tavern attached to the inn. It won't help them if he struggles as well - besides, they didn't have a lot of staff in the first place.

With a few more keys left to hand out, Phoebri thanked the last man before he left to allow a cloaked figure to take his place. Keen eyes the innkeeper held; she already realized this mysterious person was not from their realm. They carried themselves like a bounty hunter, or a mercenary - the shady way of hiding appearance clued that one in for her. But, as the stranger cut through the room earlier, causing the other patrons to vacate the foyer as if dread now darkened her doorstep, she knew this person also carried death. No stranger to such characters, or the profession they manage, Phoebri stood tall behind the counter as the dark presence stepped forwards - catching the whiff of brimstone and weathered leather upon their approach.

"Are rooms... still available?" A covered hand gracefully left behind a stack of coins on her counter to prove their inquiry would not be in vain.

Phoebri's eyebrows quacked. A female with an accent noted high and - twisted with a kind she hasn't heard or seen of in a long while. That didn't cause suspicion - only curiosity and concern.

"Yes, there are a few rooms vacant," she slipped the coins off the counter and put them in their place. Grabbing a
quill and flipping the signature book around for the stranger to sign, she pointed at the room number and the X to mark the spot. "Are you in need for the week, or just the night? With out private rooms, you'll receive meals with your week's stay in celebration of Princess Nahra."

The young woman's hood merely stared down towards what she could see as a sign-in sheet and the quill that the inn-keeper was handing her. From this close up, the fabric covering over her head seemed to be a little large for her yet, and it absolutely dominated her appearance. Despite this, its thick fabric nearly held itself up on its own, especially with the tight and precise embroidery running along its hem, nearly making it a free-standing band. Her eyes, hiding beneath the shade of her attire, had noticed there was a slight pause the inn-keeper made before she fulfilled the functions of her job... and she had a rather curious look on her face. She spoke with clear purpose--even if there were traces of an elvish accent hanging in her common, likely due to living here with her business--and didn't hesitate to treat her like just another customer. To be fair, she wasn't trying to intimidate anyone on purpose, but this woman behind the desk wasn't any normal commoner, she could tell.

In the midst of her thoughts, the gray-garbed mercenary had graciously taken the quill with her left hand and neatly scribed her with a cursive common with very little effort. However, she included only a single name:

Inalynn

After she finished writing her name, she kept her other hand on the sheet for a moment as though inspecting her work, but in actuality, she was reading off the other names on the list and committing to memory the ones that she could. Unfortunately, there was no mention of Aven Nisari, nor any of the aliases he was known for using. Not even a name that jumped out at her as being something he would makeup for himself. She should have figured--it would be unwise to stay at a public residence when you're planning to assassinate the queen... but even the most intelligent people are prone to judgement calls. It was worth a try.

Inalynn released the sheet and tilted her hood upwards slightly towards the inn-keeper, handing the quill back towards her. She dared not to show her face, or at least nothing above the tip of her nose. The shrouded woman still had all of her youthful features in place despite her voice sounding heavy with darkened maturity. "A full week, if I may," the odd girl spoke up again as she simply seemed to be staring towards the center of the keeper's chest rather than looking her in the eye.

"Also..." she continued, trailing off while her hands dug down into the pouch where she kept the wanted posters. Retrieving one, she carefully unfurled it and held it up for the inn-keeper to see. "I'm searching for this man. Have you seen him, or know of anyone who has spoke of him recently?" The way she asked wasn't just out of simple curiosity. It was nearly written upon the emotion in her voice that there was something more to the story than just a bounty hunter searching for a head. Perhaps the inn-keeper may have even heard of the hoard-stealing thief. He wasn't exactly world famous, but his deeds were certainly noteworthy enough to be carried far over time.

The Griff’s Talon Inn

The name beautifully inscribed Phoebri noted to memory; a proud name indeed for a proud race. She watched as the woman lifted her head slightly, allowing her to see only a portion of her sharpened features; the innkeeper could only imagine. With a smile, she marked her room for the week and meals, then handed her the key.

"Room 2F. If there's any problems with the room, please let me know. I'll make sure to send a maid up to assist you as quick as possible.

"Also..." Inalynn continued, moving to lift a rolled parchment from her travel cloak. Phoebri's eyebrow lifted at this; now she'll see who brings this hunter to her doorstep. "I'm searching for this man. Have you seen him, or know of anyone who has spoke of him recently?"

Phoebri took the flyer and studied it carefully. The name was not familiar to her, but the image before her brought bitter memories of a passed life. "I've seen this man once before," she began, holding back ill tones that were not proper in her present location. "But it's been years upon years since. He was a traveling peddler as far as I knew back then. It's a shame to see another fall into the pit of wrong-doings." Her eyes lifted from the poster with a understanding warmth, "Hope this search ends well for you both. If needed, I will post this and keep my eyes alert."

Gaahalo Palace Ballroom

Celeste and Koven combed through the ballroom; guards above and below made their way casually to avoid alerting others, but all and all they were not able to find the one that alerted their senses so. In her search, Celeste ran into a very inebriated Dwarven Ambassador.

"Ambassador Kaic," her nose wrinkled to the strong scent of mountain ale. "I see you're already high in the spirit of the occasion."

Koven watched as his charge spoke to the drunkard Ambassador. Shaking his head, he continued to slip through the mingling crowd, nodding at maidens all while his eyes and nose swept the atmosphere for blood.

A guard made his way to Koven, leaning to his ear to whisper his report of a person behaving suspicious. Unsure of who this gentleman was or why he was so nervous, he felt the need to alert him. Another guard stepped forward next to report of a Cabinet member on Ossory's Scholar's Guild had reported a missing ring.

"We're either searching for one of the same, or two different characters...," Koven expressed their findings to Celesta silently as she waited for Ambassador Kaic's response.

Soon, the room began to liven up as more partygoers entered and everyone began to take their seats. The hour has come; it was time for the Queen's family to make their appearance, and the processional for the birthday girl.

Celesta rolled her eyes, "Everyone stay on alert, and report to your stations." Flustered that both her titles clashed at such a time, the sturdy Captain dropped her business into the hands of her Elite officers. Two of the Sevens came at her call and left at her command. Knowing that the secretive Warmages will find the undesired, she gave Koven a glance across the room before exiting.

Last edited:
A sharp, sinking twinge tugged at Inalynn's heart in the moment that the innkeeper confessed to seeing the wanted man in the posters. Perhaps there was some sort of mistake? The drawing was more akin to a smear-campaign than a realistic depiction of her father, maybe she had him confused with someone else? Maybe she... maybe it could be...

The young woman's lips pressed themselves tightly together, forming a thin grimace.

But... then the innkeeper mentioned something about seeing him many years ago as a traveling peddler. This fact nearly turned all her fears into concerned curiosity--and not just for her father's role in all of this. Depending on how long the inn-keeper actually meant by "years upon years since," her story might not entirely meet up with reality. Her father, though eccentric for sure, was very fond of his self-attained noble lifestyle... and wouldn't have much reason to pose as a peddler when he had contacts and fences to do that sort of thing for him.

...right?

"...How long ago was that?" Inalynn's lips parted again to break the awkward silence, speaking softly as if not to drown out her own thoughts with the words. What little facial expressions that could be seen earlier were hidden away once more. Her jaw was strong and if not for her predisposition to not look the other woman in the eye, would likely have been held high. But as she started picking up clues like these, her stress started to billow towards the surface, allowing fatigue to make her shoulders heavy underneath of her thick, gray cloak.

"It's... very important that you tell me... everything that you remember about Aven Nisari." Her voice carried the weight of a world without much time.

*Apologies everyone. I didn't mean to get away from this RP!*

Gaahalo Ballroom

Kaic looked at the elven woman. "Izat you, Celesta?" he slurred, ale stenching his breath. "Your mother knowzowta keep a dwarf happy!"

He glanced at Koven. "Whazzwith the cat?" he asked. "And where's Meria? I wanna see her!"

D'shial sighed as she saw no sign of this birthday princess. She was growing impatient and wanted to just get her and go back to Vladimir. Where could she be?
Waiting Room

Erlan smiled at Nahra as she squeezed his hand lightly. "Yeah, let's not have anyone see the youngest princess with the son of minor Elven lord that's supposed to protect on one of the biggest nights of her life." He winked at her.

Meria laughed at her sister's question of why Celesta left in a hurry. "Probably both," she said. "She has to go announce to my suitors that I'll be out."

Back at the Ballroom

A white haired elf graced the floor as he walked past a red headed elf. ""Oh, I haven't seen you here before," he said in a suave tone. "Do you have a name."

D'shial gave him a wide-eyed expression before tapping her neck with her hand.

"I see, you're a mute."

D'shial nodded.

"Are you waiting for someone?" He sighed. "I am waiting for my lady to come out. I'm fighting a dwarf for her hand. You've probably seen him. Short, has a red beard, gets drunk too quickly..."

Xenard nervously glanced around. The princess still wasn't out yet and the patrols were now going from person to person. Damn, they are definitely onto me. Got to get somewhere else and hide....He took a couple trinkets from his pocket and leaned forward to a couple in front of him, dropping the small trinkets into the mans pockets. The guards passing by asked some of the people in the third row to empty their pockets and asked them some routine questions about suspicious behavior before going to the next row.

As they got closer and closer, he thought he might have to just run for it. They were almost to him and he could feel his heart beating through his chest. Suddenly the man turned to the guards and felt the trinkets clink together. Reaching in and pulling them out, he looked confused but the guards politely asked him and his lady friend to come with them. They tried to explain that they never saw them before but they complied and left the room. Xenard sighed. Way too freaking close. Hopefully that will settle these elven for awhile...if not, then they'll force me to go for drastic measures.
He tried to force himself to relax and look calm. Appearances were just a part of being stealthy as sneaking into a place. If you stood out, then you failed...and he never failed in what he set out to do.

The Griff’s Talon Inn

"...How long ago was that? It's... very important that you tell me... everything that you remember about Aven Nisari."

It is a deeply personal situation for this woman, Phoebri thought to herself, setting aside the pen still held in her hand. "One moment, please." She called one of her assistants out to manage the other patrons standing in wait. Then, she stepped from behind the counter to Inalynn. "Please, let's discuss this in a more comfortable atmosphere."

She escorted the woman to the restaurant portion of the building, taking a seat in a more quiet area and catching the attention of one of her waitstaff. When settled, Phoebri nodded warmly to the woman, "It was four summers ago, during high harvest. He was new to this area, that's for sure; no one could account ever seeing him before. Plus, he didn't seem to be someone who was accustom to the farmer's markets or the humble artisan markets around our area. His prices were high from what we're use to and the items he wished to trade for were things we've never heard of.

"One thing we did notice, however, were the sudden disappearance of items from various shops and individual townhomes. Once we were aware of the situation and started a search of the newcomers in our town, everyone was accounted for - except him. He was nowhere to be found."

Ballroom

Clearing from her chamber door, Hadaio gave Mikal permission to do what was needing if he felt the maid had overstepped her place, and left it at that. She knew the girl could not have heard anything, and if she attempted to use magical means to slip any words into her ears, then the damage would be upon her soon. She allowed Sarthath to escort her to the ballroom. and in a hidden room behind her thrown stage, she waited for her announcement. But before she could prepare to greet her guest, a crowd of her aides and guards stood in wait to give her an earful of reports on various subjects inside and outside her palace.

With a heavy sigh, she waved her hand before all who stood before her. "If there's no sudden or life-threatening situations I should be alerted about, then, by all means, let's just enjoy the night together - and keep Nahra safe."

The others nodded and bowed to the side, but one guard stayed in attention before his Queen.

"And?"

"M'Lady, I do have one report that might possibly threaten this very event and the Princess."

Hadaio nodded to allow the guard to speak. When he informed her off Koven's findings in the ballroom and Lady Celesta's commands, Hadaio's fears struck her deep. Gasping, she kept her composure and ordered for Master Mikal's presence. "He'll assist in his hunt for the trespasser. Meanwhile, alert Sir. Erlan to keep close to Nahra and to call forth the Sevens to assist in his watch for the rest of the night."

With that cleared, and her worried calmed for the moment, Hadaio nodded to her herald to announce her presence for the beginning of the event. She nodded to Sarthath with a smile that held back so many mixed emotions, "Tell me this night will end better than it started, that this threat will die before taking a life, and that our lives can return to where it once was."

Robin remained in her silence for a while, eyes studying where they were before a soft sigh parted from her slightly glossy lips. There were some factors that nagged at her mind but they easily passed when she heard Shin, her eyes widening until the kitsune pouted childishly. "Poke at your feelings?" She repeated, brow shifting upon her features as the tick appeared. "I would do no such thing!" She whined, appearing betrayed almost at the comment according to the frown that was pulled upon her lips. In truth, Robin was just playing a small game with the dragon who had long since brought out her amusement and interest. "My feelings weren't hurt deary~" She purred, red orbs glimmered dangerously, accompanied by a sly smirk.

Her eyes turned over towards Dalton, her head tilted and she hummed, then she turned to Vycera. This Mikail guy didn't like those not aligned to light? A shrug came across her shoulders as she smiled once again. No longer was she concerned by issues such as this since her race were normally dark, although few were seen as the messengers of God in her home. Robin herself refused to care for either, her attention often on finding new things. Red orbs turned to Dalton and Shin, cocking her head to one side. "Eh~ Protection?" She mumbled. "Humph...Never thought that would occur." She added, grinning brightly.

Reaching over, Robin once again glomped Vycera with a wide grin upon her features, lips curled up upon ivory cheeks. "Don't be worried hun~" She chimed with a happy glee within red orbs. "You are to cautious! Relax Vycera, enjoy yourself." She pointed out, eventually releasing her where she settled her arms back at her side, sleeves once again concealing her hands. "Plus, I'm sure we could deal with that guy if he did anything. Actually, I can just hide us if he comes with illusions, okay?" The kitsune murmured, stretching her fingers as a yawn passed her lips. "Where are we going now then Shin, Dalton?"

@shinakawolf
@AWayToTheDawn

Sarthath and Mikal

He would smile and overlap his free hand over hers. He escorted the queen his love outside of her private chamber. He would stop to see Mikal standing there with a servant girl. Sarthath would smile as he let them explain to him what they were talking about. “A vampire servant of Vladimir’s no doubt.” He huffed out. His nose puffing out two small smoke clouds, which evaporated rather quickly. Sarthath then let go of the Queen and started to bolt into the ball room. He stopped himself from causing a big ruckus or disturbance within the guests. Mikal followed after Sarthath, Mikal found the guard Celestia, who had already bumped up security. “Celestia why is security bumped up? Do you already know of the vampire infiltrating us?” Mikal asked her. He did not think about that she might have bumped it up because of the burglar within the castle.

Shin and Dalton

Shin smiled at the entire cue remarks Robin made to him. “I will always worry about you sugar, only because you are so…… how do I put it you” He said slyly. Dalton would move everyone back out of the way for the king to come through. Shin would back away as he saw his own father run though out the hall. “Father what is going on?” Shin asked him. Dalton would point out that, security was heightened. There were guards everywhere, Shin bit his lower lip and gripped onto Daltons shoulder. “Find Vladimir’s lackey now, I don’t care what you have to do.” Shin whispered to Dalton. Dalton would nod in response his nose would raise up as he sniffed the air. He could smell the scent of the vampire, he smirked as he walked over towards the person. He grabbed her shoulder and let out a small smile. “Good evening, little red head. If you would, accompany me I have something Mr. V might be interested in.” Dalton said.

Status
Not open for further replies.