1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, Magical, Supernatural, High Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Macabre, Lovecraftian, Psychological, Religious, Historical, DC/Marvel, Comic Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Combat and Tournaments

GMs: Damien Kriez and Weiss | Genre: Dark Fantasy, Horror, Devil-lore | Type: Linear

In character thread is (here).

divider-symbol-beige.png

Premise

Dante's Legacy takes place in Dante Alighieri's depiction of Hell. Eons after Virgil and Dante defeated Lucifer and encased him in the frozen lake of Treachery, Hell has become increasingly disorganised. Dante has become a heroic figure to the Damned of Hell, proving to them that the Lord of Darkness can indeed be triumphed over in the name of love and humility, and there was, after all, forgiveness even in perdition. Because of this, the souls revolted, feeling what they haven't felt in eons—hope. From all Nine Circles, groups of repentant freedom fighters who wished to be reconciled with Heaven mustered the strength to escape their eternal plight and after centuries, the humans found unity. Many men and women escaped to Limbo, where the Virtuous Pagans offered any and all Damned a sanctuary in their Seven Gated Citadel of Limbo. Though the revolution was sparked by the collective hope the punished felt, the poet Virgil was elected leader, seeing as his contribution to Dante's escape from the Inferno and ascension to Mount Purgatory was deemed by all to be a worthy and noble act. From a mere Citadel, Limbo has since become a grand and marvellous city. While it still paled in comparison to the burning City of Dis, the Polis, as it was called, provided enough defences, resources, and comfort for the people. It has since become a base of operations for revolutionaries fighting for a noble cause. Inspired by Dante, who even had a statue erected in the Polis to honour him, five mighty heroes must take up the most dangerous job of all.

Meanwhile, the captivity of Lucifer has enticed its own form of chaos, as demonic loyalists work behind the scenes to free their master and quell the rebellion.​

divider-symbol-beige.png

Introduction

This RP will be very one-dimensional for players to adhere to the story. There will be only five human heroes, each coming from five different Circles, and each with his or her own set of skills and abilities. They must be either historical figures (Socrates, Plato, Cleopatra, Alexander the Great, etc.) , or human heroes from mythology and Legend, aside from mythical creatures (Achillies, Lancelot, Calliope, Merlin, Robin Hood etc.) They are enhanced by the magics or resources of Hell (such as, in the Dante's Inferno video game, weapons that stolen from demonic guards or forged from the mystical metals found in Hell, and magical spells are learned, not inherent), while demigods retain the powers they had on Earth. In any case, historical figures, mortal heroes, and even demigods share an equal footing in Hell, and are, in many ways, no different from one another. To conclude and to further prevent any unnecessary digressions in the story, while maximising character dynamics, there will only be five (5) characters, all human, and each coming from a different Circle. No demonic characters will be used, as all demons and sentient inhuman creatures are Satan's forces (non-sentient demonic creatures, like Hellhounds, demonic steeds and other mounts, and other animal-like creatures can and are in fact used by the Revolution).​

divider-symbol-beige.png

Character Sheet

Name: The full name. If you'd like, you can also add any epitaphs or nicknames beside the full name.

Age: Because of the fact that you will be playing a human character in Hell, just add whatever age your character appears to be. It need not be the age your character died, or how many years he or she has spent in Hell.

Appearance: You can post a picture, write a description, or do both. I prefer both, so as to get every detail. Pictures of real-life persons are not allowed, and I discourage anyone from using anime. Find realistic art, or nicely drawn portraits of your character. If all else fails, then Anime is fine.

History and Circle: This speaks for itself. Write a short historical background of your character (just one paragraph, since you'll be playing an existing historical or mythological character, anyway.) Answer basic questions like, from where did your character come from? What special event happened in his or her life? How did they die? The real history begins afterwards—where was he or she condemned in Hell to spend eternity? What did they feel after hearing the news about Dante? And how did your character escape to Limbo? Of course, I'd like you to be a discreet as possible with the details, in order to provide a sense of mystery.

(The reason why the History and Circle section came before these sections is I'd like you to have a foundation of why your character acts and feels the way they do, and what changes they encountered to acquire their powers and equipment.)

Personality: What is your character like? What are the things he or she likes and dislikes? What were they like as humans, and how has Hell changed them? Include both positive and negative traits.

Skills and Equipment: What skills or mystical abilities, if they had any, did your characters possess in the land of the living? How has Hell affected, weakened, or strengthened these skills?​

divider-symbol-beige.png

Lore

On Weapons and Magic: All classes of weapons and of magic are readily available in the land of Hell, but make sure to explain why and how you've come to learn such magics. It's easy to say you've acquired a sword made from metals and resources from Hell, but once again, magic is a learned ability. Also, when choosing weapons, make sure you've got diversity on your mind. Everyone having one specific type of weapon is corny. That goes the same way for everyone being proficient in a single type of magic. Also, no futuristic weapons like guns. The Inferno is very rustic and old fashioned, so let's be too.

On Flora and Fauna: The Flora and Fauna of Hell are exaggerated, demonised, corrupted versions of their Earthly counterparts. Some may be massive, hostile, and extremely dangerous, and others, able to be tamed with effort and patience. Alongside these existing albeit corrupted animals, live mythical beasts of any and all cultures, ancient religions, legends, and mythologies. Plants, too, may be hyperbolic in their appearance and taste, with some Hellish counterparts of existing Earthly plants either poisonous or even, alive.

On Demons: Much like the Inferno's Fauna, there exists sentient demons of any and all cultures, ancient religions, legends, and mythologies. You'd see demons such as the terrible Sirens, Gorgons, Giants, Djinns, and whatnot. This list barely scratches the surface of the variety of demonic denizens of Hell.

On the Damned: The Damned are basically Hell-affected human beings, metamorphosing and transforming them into tormented versions of themselves. They are still very much human, albeit with the potential to manipulate magic based on their sins and punishment. The appearance of the Damned depends on their sins and punishments as well, and no two Damned look alike.

On Non-Player Characters: Once five (5) or nine (9) player characters have been created, any and all mythological, legendary, and historical characters will be manipulated by the game master.​

On Master Posts: In the IC, there will be two types of posts coming from me. One wherein I will post as my character, and the other, wherein I will post as the Game Master. Basically, Master Posts are where I introduce challenges, enemies, and other forces that act as obstacles that the protagonists must get around. There will be a lot of times where Master Posts will contain a simple character post.

divider-symbol-beige.png

Rules and Regulations

• All Iwaku rules as well as the basic rules apply. This means no godmodding, powerplaying, or what not.
  • You mustn't be a jerk to other role-players. In spite of the demonic and hellish nature of this role-play, all participants much exercise proper conduct and behaviour when out of character. Be tactful towards one another, and make use of correct ethics and social morals. When in character, be as evil, as misunderstood, or as liberal as you can be. Criticism is fine, but bashing is not.
  • If you do not agree with someone or something, respectfully tell them that in the OOC, so that everyone may pitch in their ideas and opinions. But stay civil at all times. If two individuals cannot cooperate, the GM will have the last say.
  • As I've said, only one character per player. There's a maximum of five (5) people, but others can still file an application.
  • Players must have a great relationship with one another. That said, you must respect one another both IC and OOC. A corollary to this rule is you must never control, harm, or kill another player's character without their consent.
  • Communication is key to an effective RP. Therefore, I encourage you all to talk about whatever crosses your mind. Most importantly, if you can't post, please tell us beforehand.
  • Posting frequency will be 2-3 posts per week. 1-2 if you're really busy and need to attend to life's more pressing matters.
  • Death exists even in Hell. If your character is killed, his or her body is salvaged by the demons as feed. In other words, you're gone (unless it's planned that the character would be revived, or if you appeal to me.)

divider-symbol-beige.png

Cast of Characters

Orpheus of Limbo (c) Damien Kriez
Tomoe Gozen of Lust (c) Juicebox Jane
Qasim of Greed (c) Gooby
Gruoch, Lady Macbeth of the Malebolge (c) Weiss
Sir Mordred Pendragon of Treachery (c) The Philosoraptor

divider-symbol-beige.png

The Story Thus Far...

I
n the dead of night, Virgil, the wise and courageous leader of the mortal rebellion in the Inferno turned into an old, decrepit man with an enfeebled mind, awoke from a terrible foreboding. With trepidation in the heart, the Roman poet broke free from the confines of his own home and headed straight for the docks of Limbo. There, he found the Greek bard Orpheus, ready to voyage into the depths of Hell itself. The musician was mightily frustrated with Virgil, contemplating on the time he could have gone to Paradise and be reunited with his beloved, Eurydice.

Last edited:
I like this guy already

Reactions: Gooby
hey, i have an idea!

i like this guy to be my guy

http://pre09.deviantart.net/48a0/th...ersia_3_wallpaper_by_devinedkilla-d35rtte.jpg

but he doesn't look too human, like you said he should look like.

i want this split Prince of Persia to be both Qasim (changing his name to this, to sound cooler) and Ali Baba into a single person. why? because in the Inferno game, both hoarders and wasters were made into one, and Wikipedia (lol) says Qasim didn't know how to open the treasure door to get out, so he got killed by 40 thieves, but Ali Baba knew how to open it.

i just wanna kinda be "philosophical" in that the Qasim part is a hoarder (having been rich all his life, he knows what its like to lose money so he's greedy like that, and even the story calls him a greedy bastard... and he was trapped in a closed door) and Ali Baba is a waster (he's poor at first, but he became rich and he doesnt know what to do with the money so he keeps saying "open sesame" do just waste all the treasure)

@Damien Kriez how is it? is it ok if i use 2 characters in 1, AND he looks more demonic than the rest?

hey, i have an idea!

i like this guy to be my guy

http://pre09.deviantart.net/48a0/th...ersia_3_wallpaper_by_devinedkilla-d35rtte.jpg

but he doesn't look too human, like you said he should look like.

i want this split Prince of Persia to be both Qasim (changing his name to this, to sound cooler) and Ali Baba into a single person. why? because in the Inferno game, both hoarders and wasters were made into one, and Wikipedia (lol) says Qasim didn't know how to open the treasure door to get out, so he got killed by 40 thieves, but Ali Baba knew how to open it.

i just wanna kinda be "philosophical" in that the Qasim part is a hoarder (having been rich all his life, he knows what its like to lose money so he's greedy like that, and even the story calls him a greedy bastard... and he was trapped in a closed door) and Ali Baba is a waster (he's poor at first, but he became rich and he doesnt know what to do with the money so he keeps saying "open sesame" do just waste all the treasure)

@Damien Kriez how is it? is it ok if i use 2 characters in 1, AND he looks more demonic than the rest?
First off, that's fine with me. So long as you're playing a single form, that's acceptable. Being two separate characters will allow you to do more physical things, which will kinda be unfair to the rest of us who are playing as a single person. Being a "split-personality" also has some benefits to the quality of the story and overall team dynamic. Qasim could be friends with someone, while his Ali Baba half could dislike that same person, so yeah.

Also, his appearance isn't that weird. Mordred's appearance is basically a fleshy, zombie-like Black Knight of sorts; Lady Macbeth is somewhat burnt and has bloody arms; and Orpheus has twig-like horns with golden leaves growing out of his skull. I'm curious as to how Jeanne d'Arc would look like, but we're all waiting for that and I believe it'll look unique in its own way, so yeah.

I'm curious though. What powers would they have?

Writing the CS already.

Just simple super strength is all. :D

Name:
Ali Baba and Qasim.

Appearance:
prince-of-persia-3b-thumb.jpg

Qasim was the first to die. Before that, the greedy brother was cut into pieces by the 40 Thieves, and was sewn back together. In Hell, he reflected this by looking like an undead individual with many slits. An eternity of being crushed by boulders and crystals have turned his body chapped and rock-like, while his slits gleamed with glittering gold. Ali Baba, however, was fairly new in Hell, and his appearance was that of a normal Damned soul, with dirty skin and filthy Arabian rags. When they were even more severely punished by being fused, they simply became a disgusting half-Ali, half-Qasim hybrid, with the elder brother occupying the left and the younger brother occupying the right.

History and Circle:
Twin brothers Ali Baba and Qasim were born in the Middle East. They were the sons of a merchant, and despite their similar childhood, the two grew up to be radically different. Qasim became rich and married an equally wealthy wife, building on his father’s business. Ali Baba, however, married a poor woman and ended up becoming a mere woodcutter. One day, while cutting wood in the forest, Ali Baba overheard 40 Thieves say the words “open sesame” and “close sesame,” which were the two secret phrases their large treasury needed to hear to open or close. He waited until the thieves left, and went inside to steal a bag of coins. When Ali Baba arrived home, he was pressured by Qasim to tell him the source of his new wealth. With the information gained, Qasim secretly went inside the thieves’ treasury and took a donkey with him to steal as much as possible. He entered the magic cave and stole as much coins as he could, but in his greed and excitement over the treasure, he forgot the words to get out again. So, when the thieves went back, he was brutally murdered. Worried for Qasim, Ali Baba returned to find his elder brother’s diced remains on display outside the secret cave. He got his brother’s remains, and went home. The thieves realised that someone else could’ve gotten the body and found Ali Baba’s house. In the end, they were all slowly and discreetly killed by Qasim’s clever slave-girl. Ali Baba, now the only person left with the secret treasure, dies peacefully. In his last remaining years, Ali Baba grew to be as greedy as his brother, although he wasted most of the wealth on trivial things like women, wine, and a life of selfish luxury.

Before Ali Baba died, his elder brother was forced to push large boulders and crush his fellow Damned in the Fourth Circle. His past actions as a rich man who refused to help others by giving them a part of his great wealth resulted in him becoming a selfish Hoarder. Because of this, his punishment was to duel with Squanderers or Wasters. When Ali Baba died and followed his brother to Hell, he was condemned by King Minos to be with his brother in Greed as a Waster, since he only purchased things for his own pleasure and benefit, and not to help the poor and oppressed. For millennia, he and his brothers would push large crystal-infused boulders and crush each other, but Satan had other plans for them: he fused them into two beings, for his own entertainment. Ali Baba and Qasim clawed at each other while they were chained between the path where both Hoarders and Wasters pushed their boulders, alongside other special Damned. The two brothers, now a single body, argued with each another, blaming each other for their punishments in Hell.

Even before Dante defeated Satan, years of being punished and fighting each other made the two brothers tired. They simply stopped blaming each other and forgave each other, allowing themselves to be crushed by the two boulders instead. This made them think that the punishment they were enduring was simply psychological, and if they really wanted it, the Hoarders and Wasters could just stop. Demons saw Ali Baba and Qasim at peace, and they demons whipped them to fight again. Ali Baba and Qasim refused, and this enticed a lot of confusion between the Hoarders and Wasters. This wasn’t enough to incite anything, and they began to fight again when the demons threatened the greedy Damned with a more severe punishment.

When Dante defeated Satan, the demons of Greed became severely weakened. Ali Baba and Qasim then broke free from their bonds and severed one of the demons’ heads, enticing his own mini-rebellion in Greed. The two brothers then followed the Damned masses all the way to Limbo, where he wanted to start fresh with his brother. Being the human leader of a small faction of the Damned of Greed (about a group of fifteen Hoarders and Wasters each) made both Ali Baba and Qasim bicker again, since they both believed they they were the better voice, and not their brother’s. While they constantly argue about whose half is the more competent leader, they still equally wanted to be separated, and they believed that being forgiven would be the answer to that.

Personality:
  • Qasim was greedy and proud. He always tried to one-up his young brother in life, and even bragged all the time of his wealthier life. Qasim was a pest to Ali Baba, and more often than not, he was his brother’s bully and tormentor. Ali Baba feared him to the point that he was easily coerced into telling Qasim where the 40 Thieves’ treasure was. Despite being outnumbered, Qasim fought the thieves violently. Before he died, he was selfish and cared little for the lives of others. Although he wishes to be redeemed now, he’s more interested into being separated from his brother. Perhaps in his quest, he will learn the gravity of God’s redemptive grace, His relationship with his brother isn’t perfect, but it has grown from anger and hatred—he has become the bully he was during his life, but this time, a more “brotherly” bully. In Hell, he has become less greedy (although he still expresses rare bouts of wanting), and more hostile.
  • Ali Baba was meek, insecure, and lived in the shadow of his elder brother. He always tried to become as rich as him, and he harboured a deep jealousy for his brother. He was also a coward, and the only reason why he lived was because of his brother’s slave woman, who had more courage than he did. When he acquired the vast wealth, he became a selfish squanderer of gold.

Skills and Equipment: Qasim and Ali Baba are two brothers fused into one. Because of Qasim’s extra years in the circle of Greed, his skin has become rocky and hard. Also, his experience with continuously lifting and rolling boulders gave him super strength. With that, he had Herculean strength, enhanced stamina, and near invulnerability. Because of this, Qasim was highly resistant to physical injury. He was kind of unstoppable in terms of physicality, but he became a little less strong when he and his young brother fused. Since Ali Baba was a simple Damned, he is fleshy and vulnerable. Ali Baba has become the hybrid brothers’ Achilles’ Heel. Ali Baba, however, has his own set of skills. After being freed from his bonds, he fashioned a golden, bladed whip from the chains that held him and his brother between the pathway of the boulders. Ali Baba uses this with great efficiency, grabbing enemies from a medium distance.

As the “Hoarder” Qasim likes to grapple his foes and as much as possible, hold them close. As the “Squanderer” Ali Baba lashes out with his whip. They’re not yet fluid with their different ways of fighting.

Also, they still have a lesser version of super strength, but not as powerful as Qasim before he and Ali Baba fused. They can’t separate, though.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Damien Kriez
@PontyWontyPool It's nice and I like the idea so far, but my suggestion is for the leadership of those brothers to be scaled down to their own band of freedom fighters since the Circles are extremely big. In fact, they are extensive like countries, well with the sheer number of souls being condemned and all (The video game, and even the original epic themselves have failed to emphasise the vastness of a single Circle). Greed, like all Circles, are also divided amongst demons, and the ruler of the Fourth Circle is Plutus, here in this RP. Also, Ali Baba and Qasim couldn't have been the only historically famous name to be condemned there, so I don't see them as a single person being the leader of Greed. :) Just one edit I guess, and that'll be that. I'll start making the IC now.

@PontyWontyPool It's nice and I like the idea so far, but my suggestion is for the leadership of those brothers to be scaled down to their own band of freedom fighters since the Circles are extremely big. In fact, they are extensive like countries, well with the sheer number of souls being condemned and all (The video game, and even the original epic themselves have failed to emphasise the vastness of a single Circle). Greed, like all Circles, are also divided amongst demons, and the ruler of the Fourth Circle is Plutus, here in this RP. Also, Ali Baba and Qasim couldn't have been the only historically famous name to be condemned there, so I don't see them as a single person being the leader of Greed. :) Just one edit I guess, and that'll be that. I'll start making the IC now.
yo i'm finished!!!!!!

@BookDragon, @The Philosoraptor, @Weiss, @PontyWontyPool, and @RedWillow

I've edited the first post to add the IC link. Please check it out and begin posting. I'll make a posting order AFTER your first posts, so I could see who's most active, and I'd also like to weed out those I think aren't fully committed to this RP.

You may write anything for your introductory posts so long as it establishes your character. Please write what your character's feeling after the fiasco that happened in my first post, then make an elaborate way/justification why your characters will join Orpheus' journey.

This thing's finally happening. Thank you all :D

• Love
Reactions: Weiss
Since the first post doesn't give the other characters a lot of "run-of-the-mill" opportunities to meet Orpheus, I suggest that the first posts of characters will be just them establishing their own agenda for why they want to get to the end of the Inferno, like Orpheus, who wants to see Eurydice in Paradise.

After that, fate itself can interweave our stories for us.

:D

Since the first post doesn't give the other characters a lot of "run-of-the-mill" opportunities to meet Orpheus, I suggest that the first posts of characters will be just them establishing their own agenda for why they want to get to the end of the Inferno, like Orpheus, who wants to see Eurydice in Paradise.

After that, fate itself can interweave our stories for us.

:D
@Damien Kriez and @The Philosoraptor

"Conversed" with both of you for that very reason!

posted.

I think I need a little suggestion on what I can say to come with you all.

posted.

I think I need a little suggestion on what I can say to come with you all.
Weiss will take over from there. She has something you can use. That way, we'll all be happily acquainted.

After her post, the posting order will be this:

Me
@The Philosoraptor
@Weiss
and you.

That'll be the order for now. I'm trying to get another person to sign up and then we I'll close this until someone leaves (hopefully not).

• Love
I suggest we begin tagging the people our characters interact with, but since we're only 4 people, do you think this is even necessary?

I think we should, for formality's sake. But no, the four won't interact with one another all the time, of course. :)

EDIT: Might not reply today. I'm devoting this day for making a CV to look for a job, lol. You know us freshgrads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gooby and Weiss
@The Philosoraptor is up, and in my post, I've called Gruoch "Lady Macbeth" so you can instigate the whole backstory thing we talked about with Weiss.

My next post will then be a time-skipping Master Post. We'll be in the middle of the cold, misty sea. It'll be simple reactions, reflections, or interactions between our characters. It'll be short and simple. And after one round, another Master Post that'll introduce us our first challenge and arrival in Lust.

Status
Not open for further replies.