Damaged Love

Shooting a nervous look to George, Bobby's own smile wavered at the critical eyes of the man he saw as a second father to him. Wringing his hands nervously on his lap, he hesitated in giving a response. He wanted to be honest, of course. Why he didn't want was to cause panic amongst the couple.

"Well, I was just playing around with the idea of takin' a trip to the west coast," he explained meekly, deciding it would be better to tiptoe around it all. "It wasn't set in stone, just an idea. Neither of us are ready yet, I guess. Then we just got food, nothing to fret about

Reactions: potassiumboron
"The west coast, huh? Now why would you want to go there? It ain't nothing like here, you won't know anyone like you do here, where everyone helps out. It's a community here, you won't get that there--"

"I suppose that's why they want to go for a little vacation, somewhere different from home. I don't mind it so much. I... struggle with the idea of being away from George, he's only just come home, but... well, it might do him some good," urged Cali to her husband as subtly as she could, smiling supportively to her son to ensure he didn't pick up on the concern both his parents had for him. They obviously noticed how different he was and while his mother wanted to protect him, she also knew that being overprotective might harm him more. "...A little vacation sounds like a good thing, I can't blame you for wanting to get out of town a little while, see more of the country. Whenever you decide to go, I... well, I support it. You can come back and tell us all about it."

"...Is this about going and meeting some girls?" Walter asked suddenly, a smile breaking on his face at the idea. "Oh, girls 'round here aren't good enough, so you boys are going to the west coast, huh? Where the actresses and the fancy girls are? Hey, I get it. You want to have fun before finding a nice wife and settling down on the farm. I'm not gonna be all old-fashioned and tell you boys you can't do that. If it helps George get out his shell, you go for it, Bobby. Maybe you'll both be lucky and meet some girls who aren't against the simple life out here."

"Don't embarrass them, Walter. They might just want to go and get some sea air in their lungs, don't you go embarrassing them," his wife tutted quickly as she placed the food on the table proudly, the only indication of her inner fluster being the subtle glance she gave both boys. She had her suspicions of their intimacy from the hand-holding earlier, and the talk of the trip only confirmed to her that something was going on - it made the years of their closeness make more sense, at least. She had suspected that something was going on when they were younger, in their teenage years, only to brush away those thoughts. Now she had them confirmed, she didn't really feel anything but a twinge of sadness that neither had been open with her about it - but bringing it up didn't feel right either. She knew it wasn't her business, and she also knew how risky it was to admit those feelings if they did exist, so wisely, she chose to sit down at the table and force her thoughts aside. "...So you had food in the town? At the diner? It's a cute little place, I rarely get to go these days, what with all this work on the farm. I heard from your mother that there's a job going there soon, Bobby-- might be good for you if you aren't eager on the farm life. Mind you, not sure your father would be pleased if you turned your back on it."

"I don't think I'd do very well working in town," Bobby admitted quietly, his face beetroot in embarrassment and the fact that he had the feeling that Calliope knew about their relationship, or at least had an inkling of what was going on. Living in a small midwestern town while being gay wasn't safe and Bobby knew that, having actually heard of stories where men had been beaten or hanged for being out and while Calliope was sure to be more accepting, if anyone knew about it then he and George would be in more than just a little trouble.

"I mean, I guess it might be good practice for the future, yeah? I don't want to be a farm boy for the rest of my life, that just ain't what's in the stars for me. I mean, I'm not very good at it anyway. Your farm is nice and calm, it's nice to come over here and at least enjoy watching the cows graze. Better than our farm at least."

If there was one way to distract Walter from the conversation, appealing to him with compliments was the way to do that. He was immensely proud of the farm that had been in his family's possession for decades, and while he liked the other's father, he was competitive, wanting nothing more than to have his farm flourish and be the shining example in the town. Having his hard work complimented by Bobby, someone he saw as a son of sorts given his closeness to the family over the years, did mean a lot, the proud smile that grew on his face making his wife roll her eyes lightly in amusement.

"You're always welcome to come work here, I'm sure I could get your father to agree. He's not the most... understanding man, but I think I could manage it-- but if you chose another career path, go for it. You're an adult now, right? And being in a wheelchair won't stop you, you've always been far more capable than most the guys in this town."