D&D - Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden

Satisfied with her meal, and losing patience with the morning chatter growing ever louder, Shula set aside any dreams of going back to sleep and basking in the warmth of the big drunken huddle pile. It was just as well: that warmth brought with it a rancid smell that lingered on the breath, and if the elven waif's current state was anything to go by, brought confusion and misery upon those who embraced it. In her foggy, morning haze, the girl glanced over toward her sailor-companion, if only to see how she fared against what must have been an awful pounding on top of noisy people. Any conversation now would probably be awkward, if not unwelcome, so she tried to keep herself quiet....

..and her efforts were rewarded with the clamor of Dani shouting after Elf, who nearly crashed into her table in a rush to get outside. Surely a name must have been spoken, but until this point Shula's attention lie elsewhere. This at least stirred her into standing up and grabbing her bundle of supplies: if Shula had learned anything about Icewind Dale in the past few tendays, it was to never run very far on one's own out into the dark. Perhaps the natives of Breman knew better than she, but why chance it? If the elf with the fiery hair missed the... fisherman? Surely that would mean a journey into the water, in search of a body that simply wasn't there. At least, that was the worst possibility. Chances are, any urgency in pursuing the two out into the snow would be rendered moot the moment the two of them made contact, but Dani still seemed distraught.

Another glance toward her sailor-companion revealed a strange, metal object with lettering on it, spelling out SYLVA: if it was someone's name, Shula didn't recall it being spoken in her vicinity. To keep such a thing so close to one's heart, however, suggested this Sylva was important to the unkempt wreck of a girl. It seemed too personal to talk about, but too important not to at least bring it to her attention. Shula reached onto the table, tapping near the metal object before pulling a crowbar from her satchel and walking right past Dannika, toward the door. With a few whispers and taps to the tip of the crowbar, the device lit up the area around it like a torch, and with that only a few words were spoken to Dani in passing, before Shula trudged out into the snow, following some footprints.

"The one with the fiery hair, yes? I can take a look."

Fishing? Oh, but so much had happened in so short a span of breaths, and while Merry had adequate sleep and felt, now, warm and relaxed, she wasn't built for terrible amounts of conversational transitioning. The kind boy had said something, then they'd been interrupted by another with some sort of wild proposition and a third had shown up and there were all manner of words used, big and small…

But fishing. That one stuck clear. And in the mire of chatting, Merry's mind drifted to tales her father used to tell of the glittering glass sea, of great grey whales bobbing among white waves and dolphins, bounding from the depths and curving high arcs over the deep blue, splashing down again with nary a sound. She could almost smell the briny air that he carried in his thick wool sweater and which clung to the dark mop of hair on his head, seeing the glint of excitement in his eyes…

"Oh Essie! Doesn't it sound just delightful??" Beaming at her guardian, Merry reached and clasped the woman's forearms, "And we have been meaning to move on again, yes? Oh please, could we go?"

"I could think of many more things that sound delightful." Esther snorted, her hardened expression softening as her charge gripped at her forearms. Her fingers curled around her wrist, squeezing with the gentleness of a mother around their newborn babe. "Merry, dear, do you think it's safe to go searching for a legendary creature that only pays squat?" She scoffed, swallowing down a lingering lump growing in her throat. Imagery of Merry floundering in the water as the waves crash over her face, suffocating her in foam, dragging her further and further into its depths… "I do not wish for you to go alone. I have a feeling if I say no you will go regardless- If I agree, you will stay close to me, yes?"

"I'd never leave you, Essie. You silly goat. And we hardly need the money! But oh, the sea! Think how lovely it must be and so very enchanting!" Still smiling brilliantly, she nodded, "I do! I promise! Just… please? Can't we? A change of scene would be ever so nice…"

"Ugh," Esther inhaled through her nose. "Lovely. Lovely is a word for it. From my adventures, it may not be what you expect, dear. But if you insist, where you go I shall follow."

With a small squeal, Merry threw her arms around Esther's middle and hugged her tightly, before, grabbing the woman's hand, she raced over to where the conversation had seemed to drift. With little thought to interjection, she waved with her free hand, "Hello, friends! We shall join you on your voyage!"

Collab with @KatSea

It was then that the door to the tavern opened once more and an elderly dwarven male decked out in winter gear stepped in, not even bothering to shake the show out of his beard.

"Lass," he called in a gruff voice that spoke of being still slightly hungover. "Did you find my new employees yet? Make sure to remind them that Grynsk Berylbore pays fair wages! Five copper for each knucklehead trout they catch, and it's the time of year when they school so the catching should be good!"

The dwarven fisherman squints in the lantern light as his eyes adjust, searching the room for the girl who had promised her help before finally finding her with a group of young folk.

"Ah there you all are! I must admit I have a bad memory for faces. I hope you all are still eager to fish? Time is better spent angling than yapping!"

Shula didn't have to worry about Tali's destination long as it quickly became apparent, even in the dim light, that the half-elf was clearly following a dwarven male. Pausing in the center of the square first to see where he went before heading only a few buildings down towards one of the other taverns himself. Tali hesitated a moment to peer through a now unshuttered window, easily making out the forms within as they were cozily lit by a plethora of lantern light.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and Midian
His eyes snapped towards the tavern doors as an older looking dwarven fellow entered the tavern. He looked somewhat familiar-had Kutolo seen him before? He listened carefully to every word the dwarf said. Somehow, Kutolo's guess was wrong-the fisherman wasn't looking for help taking down some great fish. Of course, he wouldn't dare say no now. "Of-of course sir! I'm ready and willing to fish. Perchance, do you plan on giving us the tools we need to actually get the fish? Because if not, I don't know how much help I'll be."

Reactions: Midian and Falcon
"W-well, I can steer a boat fine," Sigrid offered.
"I haven't got one up my sleeve, obviously-- and I'm afraid I used up the last of my fishing gear on the way here and my pole got made into a splint... I think I can help us make a good haul of it, but not without a crew. I think we've found one though?" she asked, looking around at the others.

"Where did you want us to go, and can you provide equipment? Kutolo is right-- I don't think we planned on being fishes this morning and aren't well-equipped on our own."

Reactions: Falcon

As the back of her bed companion disappeared through the inn's doorway, Sylva's eyes were still trying to focus on where the woman's fingers had tapped. The noise had raised her from a half slumber and her brain was fumbling for meaning. All that she had to grasp onto was a square of metal on the table. Her friend left her coin.

Tentatively, the half-elf's fingers stabbed at the gift. Water eyes heavy with sleep meant that they missed. With a groan and a little more concentration she poked again at the object and was rewarded with a tugging sensation on the back of her neck.

Sylva sat bolt upright. Any trace of weariness had been pushed aside by alarm as the necklace that hung around her neck, the necklace that had exactly who she was stamped into it, was hastily tucked back under her clothes. Green eyes were now fixed on the inn's door as her mind raced as to how much Shula might have seen. Perhaps the woman had just been getting her attention to announce their departure. Why would anyone give an old battered necklace more than a single glance.

For a few moments Sylva tried to force this rationalization through her mind.

It didn't work. Grabbing her gear, the half-elf darted out into the freezing Icewind Dale morning, chasing Shula's retreating form.

"HEY!"

Racing up behind Shula, Sylva placed a hand on the woman's shoulder. Without the half-elf realizing her other hand raised itself protectively over the part of her chest where her necklace now hung under her clothes.

"You tapped... um when you left you... the tab..."

The girl quickly turned about the moment she was touched, brandishing her crowbar as a makeshift club out of reflex, before realizing who'd been tailing her and visibly relaxing. Confusion still colored her expression, but when the shock of being grabbed wore off she allowed Sylva to collect herself.

Spluttering to a stop Sylva looked at her feet as she realized that she hadn't actually put any thought as to what she was going to ask Shula. Perhaps her friend had just been saying goodbye. Maybe it had all been nothing. If that was true Sylva didn't want to tip her friend off about how important what they might have seen was.

"I thought maybe you wanted to say something before you left but I was too, err, out of it to realize."

Shula, for her part, just shrugged. "Ah, the table. You had something; it looked important. To leave it out where others can see it felt wrong. Apologies if that crossed a boundary."

"Oh, that, it's erm, nothing important."

The hand hovering at Sylva's chest clenched slightly around the unimportant object in question as her heart sank a little. Something were meant to be secret. Cursing her carelessness could come later. Now it was more important to make Shula think what she had seen was as insignificant as Sylva said. Hopefully, they would forget about it.

Unfortunately for Sylva, Shula didn't look like she was buying it. The way she glanced at the grasped item, and back to Sylva's gaze said it all. "She must be important, to hold her name so close to your heart. But, I understand." Her eyes wandered elsewhere as she spoke. "Not everyone appreciates those who find their warmth in places they do not approve. I cannot speak for the Dale, but if you wish to hide who you are, take care not to let the shroud consume you as it did my friends in Mulhorand."

"She was no one special."

That part certainly had a ring of truth about it; Sylva had certainly been told as much enough times in her early years."

"Just someone I knew a lifetime ago that I don't want to forget is all."

The deceit attached itself so naturally to the partial truth in the half-elf's mouth, she could almost believe it herself. Shula's interpretation of the meaning of Sylva's necklace was unexpected but useful to the effort of side-tracking their mind. Giving up with her effort not to shiver in the freezing air, the former pirate stepped forwards so that her body began to push right against that of the dark-skinned woman.

"I was lying about why I followed you here."

Resting her head on Shula's shoulder, Sylva dropped her voice to a near whisper.

"I enjoyed what I remember of last night. I didn't want to not see you again."

"Errm," Shula uttered upon being brushed up against, awkwardly glancing toward the inn, then back to Sylva, her iron torch casting light into the snow. She nudged the elven waif from her body, suddenly unsure of herself. Yet in a moment her poise returned, and a smirk marked her lips: the line was too perfect, and its execution was just enough to remind the girl of the previous night's card game. She had to be marked. "Someone you've no desire to forget? That does sound special. Perhaps you could tell me about her someday."

With neither the wish to pry further nor lead Sylva on, Shula distanced herself from the elf, walking toward the 'Stones' building and pressing her back to the wall just a few meters from where a certain redhead spied upon the interior: strange, that this person wandered here when it sounded like they were bound for the lake, but it appeared Shula's intervention was unnecessary.

"Your friend frets for you," Shula observed, announcing her presence to the elven researcher in the same breath, "but you are here. Is something amiss?"

Huffing slightly at having been left standing with just Shula's footprints for company, Sylva stomped into the inn behind the strange woman leaving a trail of snow and ice behind her. Yes the flirtation had been a deception, but it still hurt the half-elf's pride to have been so unceremoniously brushed off.​

A collaboration with @Fyrra to dig me out of a self induced hole

• Nice Execution!
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
"Aye, Lad. I wouldn't be asken ya to fish for me if I didn't have the proper gear, Might as well buy fish at the market like everyone else instead of sellin it if that were the case." Grynsk stated, a smile pulling at the corners of his beard. "I have two fishing boats, the Burly Ram, and the Pronged Goat, and anyone fishing had use of them, as well at the tackle and nets they're stocked with. Plenty of gear, both seaworthy. They'll do ya just fine. But I need people to help with the actual fishing part." The dwarf began to explain

"I'm not as young as I used to be and my usual crew's abandoned me. There was an accident with the ice flow a week back, and they say they would all rather find work on the shore. I have one lad whose willing to help me gut and fillet, but he refuses to go out on the water again."

Outside Tali had just put their hand on the Tavern doorknob when Shula caught up. "Dannika should know by now that I'll stay safe," They whispered fondly, "And besides, It seems old Grynsk is recruiting fishers again, and I can't stand idly by and watch an unknowing crew fall victim to the monster of Mar Dualdon." The half elf answered before pushing their way through into the Tavern.

"You have no honor, Berylbore!" and for once the usual soft spoken voice of Tali boomed out, resonating in the room. "To send a crew out without warning them first of the lake's other inhabitant. It's one thing if they knew, But I don't think these folks have been here more than a ten-day!"

"Ignore the whelp, just rambling," The dwarf grumped, his face falling.

"One of your boats has a bite mark in the hull!"

"It's a ding from one of the ice flows. I tell you all is fine. and besides, the town needs the fish."

Tali was left to cross their arms in the attempt to stare down the dwarf. "I won't stop anyone going out on the water. I have some research I'd like to do myself, But those that go out should know what's there."

Last edited:
Sigrid's eyes flickered to the exuberant young woman and her companion and to a sharp eye there was a flash of something-- confusion? Jealousy? before her gaze averted and she smiled a little at Merry. Before she could ask the woman about her sailing experiences, her face fell at the mention of a bite mark in the boat. The town likely needed the fish indeed-- she could more than understand that.

But she wasn't sure how experienced this crew was, and taking greenhorns out into unknown danger was fool's errand. Not that Sigrid necessarily fancied herself a great captain, a task far too taxing for her pittance of self-esteem, but she knew she was at least minimally capable when she could reasonably predict conditions,.

"This Mar Dualdon-- the mark on the ship-- what isn't being told to us? Surely you don't mean to withhold information that might matter-- that could be the difference between life and death! How can one sailor do that to another?"

Her eyes glanced over the others again and she straightened up a little to her full height, her fingers slipping over the bosun's pipe with her god's insignia on it.

"Tell us what you know. Please."

"Well you're welcome to go look at the boat yourself, Lass. I wouldn't send ye out in one that wouldn't sail.. or row in this case. But I wasn't on the water when it happened. "

Sigrid sighed, and nodded.

"Right then, well... Does anyone else where have sailing experience? Enthusiasm is appreciated--"

She gave a small nod to Merry.

"But I want to avoid a boat of no one but inexperienced sailors."

Reactions: Falcon
Shula followed the two half-elves into the building, led more by curiosity than anything else, unless the whims of chance had a hand in her pursuit: by this point she could return to Dannika and report the safety of her friend, that she was not looking the docks for a drenched, frozen drunkard... yet. Fate could still lead this person to such a grisly fate at the hands of those he sought to send in search of fish. At least, that would have been the outcome if Shula had been among those propositioned. Fortune may yet be on the old fisherman's side. At least, until a certain uninvited guest poked her nose where it didn't belong. She put out the light from her crowbar and tucked it into her satchel before speaking up.

"A mere accident has your last crew so shaken they dare not return to the lake? Tell us, did all of them return from their last trip?" Shula's eyes narrowed as she stood by the redhead's side, her lips curling into an icy smirk. "Surely such danger would warrant an increase in pay for everyone involved." Of course, since she never agreed to the job in the first place, she wouldn't know what sort of payment was being offered, if any at all. The only thing the girl knew was that this fishmonger likely dismissed any tales of what the witnesses saw in order to not frighten away fresh hands, which fit the picture Tali was painting of this man: a vulture, growing fat upon the labor and losses of others venturing headlong into danger, without prior knowledge if it could be helped. Without the redhead's intervention, the fisherman would likely have been ready upon his ships' return with either an apology, or a demand that a monstrous creature big enough to damage a boat was worth the same as a fish, or so Shula assumed.

Truth be told, Shula had no interest in earning coin: she'd enough on her that she wouldn't need to worry about food or shelter for at least a tenday, perhaps even three. This talk of a monster drew her interest, however. A lake-fish, perhaps? All big and tender and uneaten? Had she not just eaten more than her share the girl would be salivating at the mere thought of it. But, for the talk of ships, Shula had always been more of a passenger than a deck hand. She couldn't offer her own time in good faith, at least for this, but something the red-haired elf said drew the girl's attention away.

She turned to face Tali once more, the intensity of her gaze replaced by curiosity. "Wait, you are researching something as well? Why did you not mention it until now?" Of course, the moment Shula asked, she realized that this one might not want to pull her away from the errand Dani had sent her on, but in this instance the girl's lips were faster than her wits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon and Midian

"I'll take a cut to sail for you."

Luminous eyes locked onto the woman, who with the same confidence as someone who had just found a dozen crossbows pointed at them, had seemingly taken charge of negotiations.

Sylva's stay in the town had been unprofitable so far. Unprofitable and frustrating. Looking for work was something she had no intention of doing, but sailing wasn't work. It felt as natural as breathing to the half-elf. If someone were to offer her money to breathe she would take it without hesitation. This was just the same. If there was a monster, and Sylva doubted if there actually was, that was just another part of sailing.

"I don't fish though. I will sail and keep a crew safe from this monster that has you so concerned, but I don't fish."

Perching herself on a table, Sylva rolled up one sleeve by way of demonstrating her nautical experience. The web of revealed tattoos would tell anyone in a position to judge her, exactly how much time she had spent traveling the ocean's waves.​

Last edited:
Jon Jon
Stones Inn

Jon Jon waited as the answer to his inquiry had yet to be delivered, but when the kind pair that had shared their blanket with him spoke up about their joining of the fishing trip. Now Jon Jon was a bit conflicted as the young monk had a goal in mind. Get to the North where Bahamut's home was, and ask for either guidance or if he could gain the Deity's blessing. Mayhaps even get a thing to know if someone or something is good or evil, a thing that Jon Jon rarely if ever pondered considering his less than ideal mental range, but part of him worried what if he were foolish and dealt justice against a being that needn't be on the receiving end of said justice? After all he had heard talk of Tieflings, Half Orcs fighting against their evil origins or instincts and becoming champions of good. So what if he encountered a being whom despite their upbringing or methods, was trying to do good?

He had to will himself off of that train of thought, this was a developing situation. And if he just stood there silent, the two good people would be well on their way on this fish hunt. He had to make a choice, and after a quiet prayer to his deity, he answered.

"Bahamut would not like it if I look the other way if these two come to danger and if the people starved. I will join this fishing 'job'." He said, referring to Merry and Esther, the word 'job' having some meaning to him as he did understand the overall goal, but then wouldn't it therefore be a quest as it was technically the same thing in Jon Jon's simple mind.

He'd also ask. "What required of me? I am not great fisher, but can be taught."

@Falcon @Elle Joyner @Applo @Fyrra @Midian @Sail

It was challenging sometimes, to follow a conversation so scattered, with so many people popping out of no where to jump in. Merry, by nature, was thrilled by the prospect of exciting new friendships, but new and exciting could sometimes also be quite scary. Good thing she had Esther!

And, it seemed, the very kind boy who had given up his coat. Merry's beaming smile somehow brightened at his declaration, and she gave a fierce nod to no one in particular, as excitement became nearly palpable, "Essie's been on ships loads of time, and my dad told me all about fishing! He was just the best, right up until his ship didn't come home..."

For a split second, she paused and the smile faltered ever so slightly, before it resumed as though nothing had occurred, her eyes shifting to the burdened young monk, "I can help you, Jon Jon."

@KatSea @The Wanderer @Midian @Falcon

Sigrid nodded to Sylva, looking over the tattoos with fascination, smiling at the half-elf woman.
"Those are impressive! It's good to meet another sailor."

She turned back to Merry and Esther as well and nodded at Merry's story.
"Esther, would you be agreeable to being our fallback captain? In case the worst should happen--"

Being on a ship didn't quite equate to knowing how to sail one, although Sigrid was relieved to know that more than she'd originally hoped seemed competent on a boat.

She glanced back at the dwarf.
" And our friend does have a point-- if there are hazards you're hiding from us, I think anyone would feel it fair for greater pay--"

And then, whatever bravery had fueled the last statement petered out and she felt vaguely queasy, ducking into her hood a little.

"How about we get our things and go to the boats?"

Reactions: Fyrra
"Fine," Grynsk grumbled "Six copper per fish," he wilted a bit under Tali's glare, "Seven copper per fish then but that's it. And yes my last crew returned, But ye'll half to find and talk to them yerselves if you want more information than I've already given you. I wasn't there.

"Now you'll want to be fishing while there's some light in the sky. Otherwise it's hard to see the Iceflows. Fish are easy to spot though. they reflect red under the water, like bits of copper. Especially when they school. The boats are at the docks with all the gear. And since this one," and here Grynsk jabbed a thumb to point to Tali, "Seems to want to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong, they can show you where. Find me where yer done fishing. I've got to go see if my traps have caught anything so if I'm not at the Tavern here, I'll be along the shore." And with that he pulled his hood up against the cold and stomped back outside.

Tali sighed. "Sorry about that, but there is something in the lake besides iceflows, and it's got most of the local fishers spooked. I figured it was only fair to make sure you all knew. I'm interested in researching it myself, but no one will risk me being on the water. I've got a weak constitution so-to-speak, and if you fall in it can be deadly. I thought to maybe get someone to take my notebook out, for a fair trade of course, But no one wants to do that either. That's why I was betting for help last night." They offered a small smile at Shula, "So when you agreed to help Dannika I didn't want to divide your attention."

Tali pulled their own hood and up and readjusted their gloves. "When you're ready let me know. I can show you all where the boats are, or the other fisherman... which ever you think would be more helpful. It's the least I can do for getting involved."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Midian and Applo
Shula glowered at the dwarf as he spoke, providing little more for the conversation than her proddings, which thankfully the little group's negotiator took advantage of. She raised an eyebrow at the hooded person calling her 'our friend,' and as the hood was drawn down to cover their face, she smirked ever so slightly: a shy negotiator. It was almost charming, but a mere glance at two of this mysterious person's accomplices spoke of the necessity of it.

Turning her attention to Tali, the girl tapped at her own forehead for a moment. "The tongue of the elementals eludes me; I may not be able to help with Dannika's search, even if I am to find one. But you said these creatures play in a tackle box, no? Perhaps a division is unnecessary." The traveler pondered a moment: she was no proper researcher, but she could read and write. Not well, not fancily, but legibly. If none of these others were handy with a quill, or worse, desperate for the coin offered for this dangerous job, Shula might once again be the best that odd duo from the other mead hall could hope for. After all, the red-haired elf wasn't the only one sticking their nose into others' affairs. "What should notes be taken on?" the girl asked, awaiting an answer before turning to face the hooded person.

That word still hung in her thoughts: friend. The word of a con to their mark, yet this person's confidence faltered when they should have pressed harder. Was it, then, wishful thinking, or a mere invitation? Shula stepped forth, asking Sigrid for clarification, in her own peculiar way. "I've little need for coin, but you should let me board. What lurks in the deep is enough to frighten experienced fishers, but it must be a creature of the water. To bite a ship means it will be a handful. I can help you if it appears." Her grin all but glimmered in the lantern-light: a giant fish was wishful thinking on her part, but if it didn't show up, it wouldn't let her down: that fun sailor was going to be present, as would these other elvish types. It would surely be entertaining out on the water.

She glanced toward Sylva and winked, before looking Sigrid over once more, mirroring Tali's proposal. "'Tis your decision. I can help you question the locals, or we can move for the ships."

Last edited:
"What should notes be taken on?" the girl asked, awaiting an answer before turning to face the hooded person.

Tali adjusted their bag, looking pleased at Shula's interest.

"Oh I'm sure Dannika will have some tools for you if you really mean to hunt for the elementals, and I know there have been several incidents of them tangling the fishing lines. What she really needs is one convinced to come talk to her.... As for my notes, absolutely anything would be helpful. Size, shape, a scratch if you can. If you see it eat anything, or how Intelligent it seems to be. If there seems to be certain territory it stays in. If it does have a territory if you think fishing will be safe outside if that..... Anything at all will be useful if you don't mind."

"'Tis your decision. I can help you question the locals, or we can move for the ships."

Sigrid gave a small smile and looked a bit more relieved. Shula's glowering hadn't gone unnoticed, and she was always glad to have someone else fill the role of intimidator; bopping about in a rowboat on the storm-tossed seas made her less nauseous than trying to bully someone into something.

"It would be much appreciated," she replied, tugging the wrist of her gloves further into her sleeves.
"So if we're all agreed then-- I'd like to talk to the other sailors and then inspect the boats before we go."

Sigrid pulled up her secondary, fur-trimmed hood over her regular one and a thick gaiter from inside of her shirt somewhere, blinking in the cold.
"On the way-- perhaps a round of introductions? I don't think I actually know many of your names-- I'm Sigrid Argryis, a watchkeeper on the Horizon's Call. We serve Istishia-- I'm here on his behalf, actually..."

Seeing Tali hesitate, she nodded, indicating that she wished them to come along as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and Falcon
Merry was lucky in a lot of senses. She was lucky that she was healthy and always had a reason to smile. She was lucky that she could open her eyes each day and have something to be thankful for despite everything that buckled down around her. And most importantly, she was damn lucky that Esther loved her and found her antics, for the most part, to be adorable. Esther's teeth fused together in silent frustration as Merry dragged her along to go fishing. It could only go poorly from here. She could crash through the ice and be trapped underneath. She could grow sick from hypothermia if she wasn't carefully bundled. The whole ship could have sunk into the watery deepths below if the hull broke into shattered pieces...but the worst thing of all, the worst ailment in the back of the brave solider's head...

She. Hated. Water. Just staring at the sheets of ice near the docks was enough to cause the taste of bile to rise up her throat. It was enough to make her heart constrict in it's throbbing place. It was enough to send her soul straight back to Kelevmor if she thought on it too hard. She took a sharp breath between her lips. "Merry- dear..." She started, voice faltering amongst the chaos as Merry's words hit her like the full force of a warhammer into her throat. She had been on boats many times. She could be the backup captain. She was expected to be....

Fear slammed into the base of her spine. Nerves alighted with the familiar fire that felt like a thousand needles being pricked into her skin all at once. She wasn't even able to muster her frustration into words the panic grew so strong. Slowly as her soul fell back into place, her demeanor growing still as a statue, she pressed her hand into Merry's shoulder. "May I speak with you, darling, in private?"

Jon Jon
Stones Tavern

The young monk looked to Merry. Bowing his head as a show of thanks for her offer of assistance. "I thank you." He said, now Jon Jon was going to ask if either her or her guardian required anything of him before they all departed, but Esther seemed to want to talk to Merry in private.

So to not seem like dead weight to the pair's conversation, he'd say to both of them. "I hope to see you both on boat, Bahamut bless you both." He said, wrapping his thick cloak over himself as he walked outside with the others. The cold nipping at his nose and face where it touched. He overheard one of their number talking, introducing herself as 'Sigrid.' The first part of the name was easy for Jon Jon to pronounce and remember. The last name though, as he attempted to mouth it out, was a bit more cumbersome.

He just gave up after a while. 'Argosis' 'Argosus' 'Argiris.' Being his only attempts. Deciding to be the first to introduce himself, he'd say to the others. "I am Jon Jon, I am monk from the south." He said proudly. It was a phrase he'd say to Bahamut after he finds the Deity's home.

@KatSea @Midian @Fyrra @Elle Joyner @Falcon @Applo

"See you on the ship, Jon Jon!"

If Merry was at all aware of the discomfort of her companion, if she had any indication at all that the woman beside her was currently being swallowed alive by crippling fear and anxiety, it didn't show in her proud, mirthful smile, as she gave Esther a pat on the arm, "Did you hear that, Essie? Captain! Well... backup, but all the same! Golly, it's exciting, though. You'll just have to teach me all about it! I remember a little of what Papa taught me, but it's been ever so long and--"

Trailing off at the woman's hissed plea, the young half-elf nodded, and moved aside, already beginning to gather what little belongings she had unpacked from her bag. The blanket gave her some trouble as she tried to roll it, and fussing with the edges, she looked up at Esther with a grin, "What is it?"

"Yes...exciting. That's the word that comes to mind." Swaying on a death trap in the middle of nowhere with the only thing surrounding her and her loved one being thick sheets of ice...she'd rather clean the fangs of an agitated wyvern.

Esther stepped aside, collecting her patience, collecting whatever bravery and strength she had left in her chattering bones. "I hope that you are aware that I am...not experienced in leading a crew. I have been on a myriad of boats before but...I fear this might be dangerous and I am not sure if I am going to be well on this expedition."

Without losing the smile, Merry shook her head, "If anyone can do it, I know you can, Esther! You're the bravest, smartest woman I know. And it's not as if it's any less dangerous here right? You're telling me all the time, we've got to keep moving, so… what better way to do that, then where no one can follow us on foot, right? Plus, my little friend will help us. I know he will..."

"Merry, darling, you know I want what's best for you. You know that I only want you to have courage and nothing else in our journey. And you are so, so strong. Stronger than many your age, and I respect you for the brightness you bring to everyone around you. But...I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm…" She inhaled sharply, glancing around as if to spot someone who'd dare to spy in. "Afraid. Not much shakes me, not much can unsettle me, but this is one of these things. I can go for your sake...I can. But I want you to know the moment I step onto that vessel I won't be me." Her head cocked slightly after a moment as the full weight of Merry's words slammed into her. "Little friend?"

Smiling brighter still, Merry reached out, her hands closing around Esther's with a gentle grip, "What does Momma say, Essie? We can't help but feel fear… but having courage is a choice. And you are always so much better at choices than I am." Releasing her hands, she swung her bag over her shoulder and chest, before chuckling lightly, "Yes. He's always with us and he will be for this, too. Now come on, silly! Before they leave without us!" And for the first time in very many days, while her expression did not shift and her words still held that same lighthearted nature, there was a glint in her eyes of something oddly akin to worry.

Esther squeezed back with gentle hands. "Your mother is a far wiser woman than I ever will be, Merry, and it's why I admire her so much. I see so much of her in you." She let her hands drop back to her sides. She had to force this fear down. She had to, even if it bound her insides in metal coils that constructed her organs with each breath. "Where ever you go, my dear, I will follow." She repeated a promise under her breath. She gave a nod of acknowledge towards the man who introduced himself moments ago. "Kelevmor, pray not to see you yet my love." She grumbled under her breath.

Pushing onto her toes, Merry pressed a kiss to the woman's cheek, before bouncing back onto her heels, "Then off to fishing! Adventure awaits!" And with a ceremonious twist, circling around, Merry headed for the door, taking the pair out into the cold with the others.

TAGS || @KatSea, @The Wanderer

Slipping from her perch, Sylva redressed herself as best she could to withstand the world's freezing assault. She didn't have much interest in getting to know her newly found crew, but there was a part of her that was curious about the state of the dwarf's boat. The half-elf wanted to see what it was that had Tali so worked up and Berylbore unable to find another crew to fish for him. Chances were that all she would find was damage caused by ice or rocks, but if it was the mark of a creature big enough to bite a boat, well that was interesting.

Reaching the inn's door, Sylva paused before the portal to the frozen realm beyond and turned to look at Shula. She liked her companion of one night. They talked a lot; filled the space with their presence which for someone who preferred to fade into the background like Sylva, was a definite positive. Also, they knew how to keep a secret if they wanted to; and well, they made Sylva smile.

"I'll see you at the boat yeah? I might need your warmth again."

Pivoting to look at Sigrid in response to their introduction, Sylva looked the woman up and down as she slotted the new information into place with what she already thought of them.

"I'm… Sarah. I've spent enough years sailing out down south that you don't have to worry about me. Anything else you want to know, Watch-keeper?"

She might have ended her own introduction with a question, but the way Sylva crossed her arms as she did so made it clear that she had said all she wanted to say on the matter.​