D&D - Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden

Tali offered a deep nod to each person as they introduced themselves, leisurely leading the way down to the docks. It wasn't far at all from the five tavern center of the town, and certainly wasn't much to look at. At least not compared to the grand dock one might find by the ocean or a prosperous lake. These might have been better off once but a extra long winter had left quite a bit of damage and minimal light made it difficult to perform repairs. Still there was a nice little line along the shore of boardwalk and spaces for fishing boats to be tied up behind a row of simple sod buildings that seemed to be designed for storage.

"Those two there are the ones I believe we want," Tali stated after a moment of scanning the dock, and gesturing toward two rowboats tied in neighboring spaces.

The first, baring the name the Burly Ram, seemed to have enough room for four fisherman with enough space in the middle to hold a catch. The bow bore a mini figurehead shaped like it's name sake, and in back was a neat bundle of nets and an empty bucket for bait, along with several fishing rods. The Pronged Goat was similar to her sister ship with all the same gear, although in this case the figure head was that of a goat. Additionally, the rear portion of the gunwale had what looked like a curious semicircle portion of wood ripped away.

They were not the only people on the docks either. On a bench against the wall on the nearest building sat a younger human male who seemed busy filling lanterns with wale oil bought from the traders. It was clear these were meant to be hung from rings in about every other pier post along the boardwalk, replacing those that had been put out for long-night the evening before. A few paces away a dwarven woman was carefully inspecting nets and passing them off to her male companion for mending. Further down the dock it seems a different group of fisherman were getting ready to go out after their own catch.

The researcher spoke of their fortitude, specifically a lack thereof, and suddenly their frustrations with this task of theirs made sense. However skilled a researcher this person was, however ambitious their project might be, nothing could change that they were planning to row into the territory of a renowned monster to learn its mannerisms, territories, and anything else that might be important. The possibility that whatever brought the long winter about might have had a hand in the creation of this creature also had to be considered, and for a brief moment Shula realized that slaying and devouring this giant fish might not be the objective here. Perhaps this elf wanted to find a way for the community to coexist with such a being? Shula had never taken an interest in the study of wildlife before, but with an opportunity like this one presenting itself, she could always start.

Her gaze drifted elsewhere, toward the people she would be sharing a boat with. Naturally, there was the sailor from last night, and the mysterious hooded stranger. Nearby stood another traveler, earnest in expression but poor with names (who couldn't relate with that?). And, further away, another quiet stranger, along with the other two, who'd excused themselves for a private conversation. Shula couldn't bring herself to pry, yet she had a little more difficulty ignoring that almost half the people present looked to be a few years her elder, possibly even better educated. Perhaps one of them might be better suited to keeping the notes?

That thought was stricken from the sable-haired traveler's thoughts the moment a young elf pressed her lips to the soldier's cheek. Shula had merely glanced in their direction to witness it, and mouthed a hushed "Oh" in realization. It was a curious sight, but not one to gawk at. The girl quickly returned her attention to those nearest to her, smirking slightly at... Sarah's words? That the sailor hadn't taken the conversation a few minutes ago too personally could only be a relief.

I might need your warmth again, the sailor told her. Forthright, as expected, but who couldn't appreciate the simplicity of stating one's needs?

When the round of introductions passed over to her, the girl spoke out of reflex, "I'm Im-" but cut herself off with a sudden pause. her presence faltering just for a moment, before the corrected herself. "Call me Shula. I fly where the frigid gale points the sail. Today that has led to our meeting." She paused after saying her name, judging the reactions of everyone present, before falling in right by Tali's side once more to go see the boats. Out came the crowbar-torch once more once the group was outside, to be tapped against the girl's dagger before it lit up the surrounding area.

"Should the creature attack us, I might harm it," Shula noted aloud to Tali, "But do you believe that might not be necessary?" It was a question Shula had yet to consider, but felt it needed to be asked of this researcher: if they were not to be present, then the nature of any notes taken would be important. Notes on how a creature lives, weighed against how to hunt it. It certainly seemed more prudent to ask about that than to pry into the purpose of Lady Argryis' journey into this frozen tundra, however curious it sounded even just from the mysterious cloaked warrior bearing a surname.

Reactions: Falcon and Midian
A deep breath. All the talking was so overwhelming. He didn't know what to focus on, what to say, how to react to all the voices at once, so he did the best thing he could-he stayed silent. He followed this new group outside, close to the docks, before he saw someone he recognized-Ethan Reddick. The young shiphand sat on the dock, filling lanterns with oil.

"Hey uh, Ethan. I'm uh….about to go on a little adventure. Any tips for a newcomer to the sea?"

The young man, about eighteen years of age, looked up from his chore. "Oh! Mr. Kutolo, Sir. I didn't know you wanted to go sailing!. But I wouldn't go to the sea. They say the sea of moving ice is twice as dangerous as Maer Dualdon, and navigating the ice-flow on our lake is bad enough." He hastily moved a hand to pull his scarf over his nose as his breath left clouds in the chill air.

"Ay, the coin is good though. I've got a good group going with me, I think we can take on whatever comes for us. I'm not sure how far we are going, I think we may just be going deep on the lake."

What could be seen of Ethan's face paled at these words, "No! Mr. Kutolo. You can't do that. We can't risk losing you out there!" to Kutolo's practiced eye, and the fact that he met Ethan an few time before, it became clear that there was more to it than the young man being afraid of someone getting hurt. It seemed as though there was something particular triggering this rection. Something about the lake the Lad feared.

"You okay? I've never seen you this fearful before my friend." Kutolo tried to put a smile on his face to ease his mind.

"There… There's something in the water… it attacks the boats if they go too deep… That's why I told them I wouldn't sail anymore… but I'll still do the shore chores."

"I'll tell the group to stay clear of the deep lake. Thank you for the advice my friend. Would you like me to pray with you before I go?" He tapped him on the shoulder with as much warmth as he could, casting prestidigitation to warm his clothing a bit.

Ethan looked surprised by the warmth but greathful, "I- if you don't mind…"

He cast guidance on Ethan before he offered a brief prayer up to the heavens. "Kelemvor, I come before you to offer up a request for one of your children. My friend, Ethan, has many fears and pains in his heart. Lighten them if you could, and show him the light once again. Wherever his path takes him, bless him and keep him in your kindness."

"Thank you, Mr. Kutolo, and please don't go in the deep water."

"Of course my friend." He turned and walked away, looking for his new allies.

Crouching down by the stricken boat, Sylva surreptitiously used her hands to measure the broken section of gunwale. The missing section was wider than her forearm was long. The half-elfs mind began to spin as she recalled the strange and varied creatures she had seen or heard about over the years. Could any of them have done this?

"I've seen bigger fish do worse."

Stamping to drive the creeping cold from her toes, Sylva made her way back to where most of the others were. What creature could have caused that damage and why? She had no idea and it bothered the half-elf, but she wasn't going to let her concern show to these people. You didn't get anywhere in life by letting people know you were scared. Showing fear showed weakness and showing weakness was always bad. Big, strong people always preyed on the weak. It was the way of things. Sylva had no intention of being anyone or anything's prey.

"As long as we are smart and quick, we will be fine. The cold will probably kill us before your monster."

And then, because always trying to hide fear means always masking it with bravado, Sylva's tongue carried on before her mind got a chance to examine the words it had lined up.

"I will go in the broken one. I have sailed for a long time, I will be fine. The less experienced should go in the whole boat."​

"I'll be glad to sail the whole boat," Sigrid agreed. "And I'm glad to take anyone less experienced-- or less enthusiastic about water travel."

She smiled a little at Sylva.
"But we'll never be too far, should something happen with the damaged boat, either."

Sigrid make quick rounds of inspecting their boat, stowing gear carefully and making sure there was no real damage done to it. She hopped in and steadied the boat to make it easier for the others to climb in, reaching up to hand down those who wanted help getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Falcon and Applo
As Sigrid made their way over to the vessel they were now in charge of, Sylva stared blankly out at the bleak Icewind dale landscape. The half-elf's mind was still catching up with the words that had dropped from her tongue and realizing the corner she had backed herself into.

Spindly hands cupped themselves over Sylva's face, dragging the pinched features into a momentary frown.

"Sya o bibik!"*

Guarded regrets committed to the wind, Sylva spun to look at her boat. There was no way she was going to humiliate herself by trying to take back what she had said to Sigrid. Pride would have made it impossible even if Sylva had respected the woman, which after the negotiations with the dwarf, she didn't. The only option the half-elf had was to grit her teeth and trust herself to turn crap into gold.

This plan did have one redeeming factor; Sylva had a lifetime worth of experience at it. She was still standing when plenty she had known weren't. That had to mean... something. Whatever it meant, doubt wasn't a part of the plan; so with a wiggle of her eyebrows at Shula, Sylva made for the craft she was to captain. Stepping aboard without missing so much as a step as the battered boat rocked under foot, the half-elf set about satisfying herself that the vessel would stay afloat.

The familiar work brought familiar words to Sylva's lips. Words she had sung by herself and with a whole tavern. With people as close to friends or family as she had ever had.

"It's a damn tough life full of toil and strife
We sailors undergo.
And we don't give a damn when the day is done
How hard the winds do blow.
'cause we're homeward bound from a frozen realm
With a good ship, taut and free
And we won't give a damn when we drink our wine
With the girls of Old Stolys."~

* Translation from Thieves' Cant: "Cut my mouth!"
~ A reworking of Rolling Down to Old Maui. Sung in Nat 1 Performance.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
Jon Jon
At the Docks

As Jon Jon examined the boats, Jon Jon realized he wasn't exactly experienced in working a boat. "I'll go on boat that has to taste bad to the fish." He said, referring to the fact the one boat wasn't missing a chunk.

"Need help with carrying fishing tools?" He spoke to the others on the whole boat, standing next to it so if there were supplies to be carried, Jon Jon could help out as much as he could. He looked to the docks, searching for some boxes or some spears, or something to load onto the boat.

He overheard Sylvia singing and the only thing he could do was clap at her performance. "Lovely song!" He called.

@Falcon @Applo @Midian @Elle Joyner

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and Falcon