D&D/High Fantasy Thread?

Y'all ever played a tabletop RPG before?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

• Can you repeat the question?

• Total voters
U

U.N. 0W3N

Original poster
So.. not gonna lie, I've been pretty gaga for D&D 5e for the past few months. I hadn't taken a tabletop RPG seriously until late September/early October of last year, and, now, I'm pretty hooked. I'm curious to see if there are "casual noobs" on Iwaku that would be interested in some sort of forum RP based on the content of D&D or something. ... well, more like I need to find a cure for all these random D&D characters I keep making.. >_>;;;

I'm up it's been years since I last did D&D but I still enjoyed it.

Not new to D&D and other RPGs, but they are fun. Play-by-post with full dice and such isn't something I've tried. It might work, it might not. But I'm happy to at least talk about D&D and stuff.

I think that I'd just borrow elements from D&D 5e since I don't know how dice rolls would translate well in a forum RP. Though, that's something to keep in mind.

We actually can roll dice (Make a post, more options after you've posted, throw dice.) But, as one might imagine ,things could go very slowly if it's play by post, every turn in combat, etc.

So yeah, probably better to do something that just riffs on things. But, how is that markedly different from any other fantasy-setting RP?

Good point. :U Hmm... maybe I'll just go look at roll20 or something for the dice side and make something private for writing purposes.

From experience, dnd combat is often terribly slow over posts, so some workaround would probably be nessisary.

I've found free form D&D works really well in forums. How many times have you played a fantasy themed generic story and been surprised by a mage performing ridiculous feats with a little finger waggling? You end up with some players ready to take on demigods while others are little more than farmers with pikes.

The problem with most generic fantasies is that different players have different concepts of cinematic combat and how powerful magic should be. By saying players should write their characters as if they were a certain level and class a level of expectation is created. You reasonably know what every player is capable of.

I actually wound up making a private fantasy thread for me and a friend while searching around on roll20... >O>;;;

Room for one more? Have a plethora of characters ready to play

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I have never played a tabletop rp. I have, however, been part of a group on another site for about 9 years that made up their own story, but used lore, creature, and magic rules from LOTR, DnD, and Forgotten Realms. This sounds very close to what I am used to and so sounds very interesting to me. I am not above learning more about things if required and mostly view it as fun. :) Is this idea still in the works?