FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
Online Availability
Literally every second of the day (most of the time)
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Romance or Fantasy or Sci-Fi,, can do others, I’m open to trying new things
Howdy y'all! It's been a bit since I've posted a thread, but here I am! I've recently joined in on a group that almost specifically made for D&D. I have heard of it, and found an interest in playing, but I haven't quite gotten most of the info on rules, or anything else yet.

So, here's what my question is, for those who play D&D, and have for a while possibly, what would you tell your beginner self to help them along? Would you tell them ways of the game? Tips?

(I'm also trying to find info on androids (humanoid-robots, not the phone) as a species in D&D. The game master we have for the group approved, but I'm still trying to find info on it-)

For androids look at warforged. They're similar though are more robot. Pathfinder has androids so maybe look at the resources for that and ask your dm for help in case it may need adjusting!

Also don't be afraid to ask anyone in the party "Hey what kinda equipment should I buy?". I do that when I don't know what to get.

Also, reach weapons are awesome. Just trust me. If you don't want to be the main get beat up person, go for a reach weapon (glaives, whips, things like that)

Something I recommend for beginners to D&D now and would have liked for myself before, is to just get a broad idea of the character they like and then we'll get a premade character sheet for them to use. There will be plenty of learning going on just getting adept at the spells or skills or attributes or class bonuses that the premade gives you. Instead of worrying about the nuances of customizing your ride, get used to driving first, is the basic idea

This doesn't work as well if the campaign is going to be some super long and involved one that won't allow you to swap a character out, so I also recommend the group start with one or two one-shot modules because that way people get to try on different hats and see what they really like

So, here's what my question is, for those who play D&D, and have for a while possibly, what would you tell your beginner self to help them along? Would you tell them ways of the game? Tips?
TIME FOR ANOTHER UNFORMATED STREAM OF CONSCIOUS D&D THUNKS COS I AM A DISORGANISED SHITWEASEL.
  • You do not need to know literally all the rules before you start playing. Please don't stress yourself out thinking otherwise. Shit, I've been playing since 3rd Edition and I don't know all the rules.
  • For your first couple of characters, keep things nice and simple. Fighters, Rogues, maybe a Wizard if spellslinging is your thing. You'll have time to experiment with stranger concepts later.
  • Remember that it's a roleplaying game, not just a 'roll dice and kill monsters' game. Actually getting into character can be nerve wracking at first, especially if you're playing in person with people, but it's one of the most rewarding parts of the game.
  • Don't feel that you have to roleplay or present yourself in a particular way. I think certain big D&D livestreams have inadvertently set the impression that there is a right way to do things, and that any other approach is wrong. This isn't true at all. Maybe you like acting as your character and doing dialogue/accents/etc. But it's equally valid just to narrate what your character is doing and saying.
  • Whilst it is handy to have a reasonably well optimised character, don't feel that this is a requirement. Some of my favourite characters I've ever played have been janky, poorly built messes and goddamn if they weren't fun to play (god bless you Tweaky the drugged up combat mage).
  • Have fun. That's the golden rule. So long as this is happening, you're playing the game right.

Been playing multiple systems for a decade.

Biggest piece of advice I have is to always always always do little chats with prospective new players before inviting them to your game. Filter out the weirdos, the people that don't plan to consistently show up or aren't Invested in playing, that type of thing. Call it what you will, gatekeeping is quality control, unfortunately.

Some other bits that spring to mind:

Who you play with is more important than what you play. Pick systems after picking genre, DND 5e is great for starter players, but don't fall in the trap of trying to use it for everything.

Don't try to get your friends to play dungeons and dragons, play dungeons and dragons with people and become friends with them!

Improv is a skill that needs to be honed. Regardless of if you're the DM or player write a paragraph for some given situations that're likely to come up, so you have some "bullets" loaded where you can rattle them out and build up your confidence.

Dead air is the game killer. Some people sit in the background and don't say anything. Whether it's shyness or just how they play, you cannot treat them as if they're going to contribute a player's worth of activity. Plan accordingly (invite another person, etc.)