D&D: Atlyah

@Mobley Eats @Sail @Elle Joyner @Lazeration

Both of you, Thandal and Fin, know who to look for as you make your way downstairs. Thandal, after all has already had one meeting with Mr. Edrich, and he is Fin's employer. The two of you make your way past Thurin, who one again expect all weapons to be handed over. It seems poor Miss Lucy had forgotten that little detail in her worries over the crossbow.

With everything settled there you are allowed to proceed into the speakeasy where you find Edrich still in his corner, busy explaining the rules of the boxing ring to two other individuals. It's possible you might at least recognize Gora if you've spent any length of time around the Ox and Lamb, and she makes regular deliveries of ale to the place. The other face is not as familiar.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo

“Yeah sure, why not?” Shrugging slightly, Sylva stood up with Father Callahan. “I'm done here and I’m curious about our dark furred acquaintance and his friends.”

Sylva had planned to spend the rest of the evening watching the comings and goings of the inn, but that had only been for a lack of anything better to do. She didn’t need to watch for anymore targets. What she had taken from the soldier tonight would keep her comfortable for a while and then some. Something else to fill the long evening hours was quite welcome to the half elf’s mind.​

FIN

If Fin noticed or was at all put off by the man's choice to keep his weapon, she hardly showed it. Heading downstairs, she approached the table Edrich sat with that same sense of vivacity with which she told her stories and sang. A traveling bard, she found, was something of a general comfort to people - a person entirely devoted to the entertainment of others - and it did little good to be sullen-faced or irritable. That, and one was hardly inclined to tip well the person they've had a row with.

Presently, she paused near the table and her attention diverted to the two others in attendance. From what little she gathered of their conversation as it met her ears, they were inquiring about a fight. Fin wasn't a particular fan, herself, of the ring. Not least of all because she was hardly built for it. But it could be enjoyable watching a bout or two, provided there was no real animosity among the participants. These two, it seemed, were as devoid of animosity as a pair of rabbits in a field. The woman was the same one that had been so enthusiastic about her story earlier, and Fin couldn't help but smile as she came up alongside the familiar face, before giving a nod to the stranger she stood with.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. I do apologize. It's just... Lucy asked me to come and find you, Master Edrich. There's been some... commotion upstairs." Looking to the pair, she leaned in a little and her voice lowered just slightly - enough that they might not feel as if she were being rude, but a sure enough indication the subject was sensitive, "...There's a thief about. Or rather, more than one, it would seem. Darling little half-orc borrowed my tips, and this gentleman here was most recently divested of his purse in a rather unfortunate manner by another. I imagine it might escalate into something rather unpleasant, should it not be properly handled..."

TAGS || @Falcon, @Lazeration, @Mobley Eats, @Sail

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Falcon and Applo
"Ye likely be lookin' for a half-elf woman; brown hair and green eyes. She were hangin' around that young tabaxi, Shadow. Looked like they were scoutin' for marks." Thandal was barely able to contain his ire; to have to come down here twice in one night was injurious enough--and having to talk to Edrich once again was just insulting. However, if he stood to have this matter resolved without having to spend too much effort on his part, then it was for the best. Still, he'd be perfectly fine with shooting the girl in the leg, taking back what belonged to him, and letting fate sort out the rest of the details, were it not for the unfortunate fact that the law typically frowned upon that sort of thing.

"Ain't no telling who else they got; could be they got one of yer more...influential patrons. That wouldn't be good for business, would it Edrich?" He would've smiled if it weren't for the fact that his own hard-earned coin was on the line.

• Spicy
@Elle Joyner @Lazeration @Mobley Eats @Sail

"Not sure who the woman is but... Darling half orc? young tabaxi...." Edrich's eyes go wide as the realization hits who you all must be talking about. He curses. "Taklinn was here too... if that lot was foolish enough to take from him... well they won't live long enough to return your coin." The halfling man's hands shake a little as his fingers tap the tabletop, his brow furrowed with deep thought. 'Corella will have my hide if something happens to the whelps so soon after finding them honest work..."

He sighs and looks up, scanning the four faces fate has brought in front of him. "If I could trouble you all for a favor, or rather a job since I intend to reward these efforts. Gora, you too and your friend if he's willing. There should be five of those kids altogether, the woman too if she's really helping them although there's no saying these days... If you can find them and bring them back here we can get the whole matter sorted out and hopefully your money returned to you. Keep the young-lings alive until I can figure out what they took from who and mitigate any potentially life threatening situations.... If you're willing to do this, I can compensate 25 gold each as a base rate...."

He continues before anyone has a chance to refuse the offer, "The Tabaxi and Half orc go by the names Shadow and Julia, There's an elf girl names Rissa, Sam a human, and guster is the one with red scales.... they supposedly can out at a place called the Youth house, although I couldn't tell you where it is.

@Applo @The Wanderer

"We'll go out the front door I think and then... would you happen to know which way our young friend's took?" Callahan whispers softly leading the way but making sure the two of you stay close. he nonchalantly leads the way outside and into the main street. Multiple lanterns have now been lit and hung on posts to make sure those with business after dark can see their path.

"Usually if they're calling for me it means someone's gotten hurt and I'd like to have some idea what's happened before I get there. If we an catch them up it will save time."

• Bucket of Rainbows

Following the priests out into the street, Sylva held her tongue until she had had a chance to glance around her surroundings herself.

“Dunno really what happened, Shadow just told me to get you to go to this youth house and then he and a half orc girl and some other kid with weird eyes, um Sammy or something, disappeared into the sewer out back of the inn. They all kinda looked beat up, but I mean, Father, life on the streets is rough. If you ain’t bleeding you're doing well. They did sa-”

Biting down on her tongue, the half-elf looked over to the priest’s companion and wondered for a moment if she should carry on her sentence where they could hear her. The priest appeared to trust them, and Shadow obviously trusted the priest; still… being open with a stranger was uncomfortable for Sylva. She settled for stepping closer to Father Callahan and whispering as quietly as she thought practical.

“The girl said someone called Old Lorn Spine had been robbed if that means anything. Seemed to scare the hell outta them.”​

Reactions: Falcon
Jon Jon

Jon Jon followed closely so Father Callahan didn't have to go any louder with his words than he wanted, as bad as Jon Jon's smarts was, there must be a reason to why the Priest needed to whisper to them. His belongings put back into his bag so that he didn't leave something behind, as the Grandmaster would have his head if he left the badge that was the wooden mask.

The person who had joined the conversation earlier and now outside the pub did catch Jon Jon's attention, to be more specific, the whispering that took place as well as the look that was given. Jon Jon didn't take well to social cues, but he could tell when he shouldn't be listening. So to avoid the pointless effort of whistling and looking elsewhere, and instead he put his hands over his ears. So that the two could further converse sensitive matters without worry of him overhearing.

He'd remain like that until either of the two would notify him that he could take his hands off his ears.

@Falcon @Applo

• Bucket of Rainbows
FIN

Humming in thought, Fin looked first to her fellow victim, then the other two. She had little real need for the reward, and in truth no cause for incentive to begin with... These were children, from the sounds of it. Children and those unfortunate enough to think thieving was their only option.

But she was no great master of intrigue, and finding them on her own would be more than challenging... The others, she gathered, might find enough comfort in the coin if they weren't swayed by the idea of children endangered. That, she hoped, would be enough, or she was going to have a very long night indeed. Fortune had not smiled upon the poor souls yet, but perhaps if they all teamed up...

"Well... I can't promise it's the grand adventure of a lifetime, and I imagine it won't end in our names renown in song (though if I'm fair, I write those songs, so just maybe...) All the same, they're lost little lambs, and it's something to do. Gents? Lady? Shall we?"

TAGS || @Lazeration , @Mobley Eats , @Sail , @Falcon

• Bucket of Rainbows
Thandal rolled his eyes. 'Children these days,' he thought. Still, the prospect of a reward was enough to pique his interest...or at least assure his cooperation. He needed all the coin he could muster up, anyway, so he resigned himself to taking on this task. He let out a particularly hefty sigh, allowing his arms to swing weightlessly by his sides. "Ain't got much better to be doin' at the moment, anyway. Might as well." With that he decided to get to the matter at hand and go along with Fin.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and Falcon
Gora | Interactions: Speakeasy Gang

Whew boy... That sure was a lotta names good ole Orange Twig just dropped. Gora couldn't really keep up with the long list to save her life; well, maybe she could save her life if she tried hard enough? But not when it came to smarts and all that. Wasn't her place in this world. She did perk up though at the mention of Half-Orc and her hand shot up instantly. "Yeah! Whazzit? I'm one of dem half-orcs; here and ready for duty!" Pause. "...Wait." That wasn't her name. Who in the world was Julia? Or Shadow? Nope, she didn't know any of them.

But she knew Pip! She swung an arm around Pip's shoulders, bringing him in close for a good (kinda gentle, kinda not) squeeze, blinking at the gaggle of newcomers filtering in. Gora only caught bits and pieces of the conversation. Ohoho--grand adventure? With the tiny storyteller? And Pip to boot?? And coin??? Well ain't she the most luckiest giant green face around town! "You's got yourself a deal, Orange Twig," Gora said, a lazy drawl to her already lazy voice, "I'm in on... On's whatever we're doing."

She forgot.

Tags: @Elle Joyner @Lazeration @Falcon @Sail

• Bucket of Rainbows

As she finished whispering what she thought was relevant information to Father Callahan, Sylva looked over her shoulder at the third member of their little party instinctively. The fact that they had their hands over their ears took her by surprise. Not many people were smart enough to not listen to something they shouldn’t be listening to. The human was clearly more intelligent than he looked. A lot more. She liked him just a bit because of it. Enough that she felt the slightest twinge of guilt for ignoring him back in the inn.

Taking a step away from the priest, Sylva held her gaze on the man’s face until their gaze met, before tapping one of her ears and holding up a thumb.

“Whatcha called? Ya never said. I’m Gudren”

She didn’t like him enough for honesty.​

@The Wanderer

He reached for his bags to put some of his material components for spells away as he listened to the man speak; his hand seemed to pass through nothing. "For the love of the Gods, someone stole my..." It took him a moment to realize it was not his components he had reached for, but instead his money pouch.

"Ah yes, I simply find that idea wonderful. Money would be quite nice..." He grimaced as he thought about the missing money bag. "...for it seems my money bag has been stolen."

@Applo @Elle Joyner @Lazeration @Mobley Eats @Sail @The Wanderer

With That Agreement Edrich nodded motioning the group to go about finding the urchins as they liked, the worry apparent on his face. The group quickly made their way out of the Speakeasy, re-collected any weapons that had been left behind at the guard desk, and headed upstairs. Just about the time the other half of the party left through the front doors.

It won't take much time at all to catch them up. Especially as Thandal is given plenty of chance to recognize Sylva from their encounter in the kitchen.

The other group has been delayed a little as Father Callahan processes the name of "iorn spine" and if it means anything to him. It takes another moment as he tries to calculate the best route to get to the kids.

"I know two ways to get to the Youth House," he quietly informes the other two. "One through the sewers, and the other through the backstreets. Neither is particularly safe this time of night. Which would you prefer?"

It is at this moment the rest of you step into hearing range in time to hear the use of the name "Youth House" which is where Edrich told you the children live.

Diero took a sharp breath in as he heard the words, then spoke with precision and confidence, not hesitating in his reply for a single moment, "I believe the sewers may be the best option for our adventuring party. If we plan on using stealth, we may not be able to travel as one unit with all of us in the backstreets. Plus, I can scout ahead easier in the sewers with Simba here." He snapped his fingers, a large white spider appearing in his palm.

"But that's just my opinion. Any other thoughts?"

“Don’t mind.” Sylva shrugged apathetically at the priest's question. “I… came from somewhere kinda like this youth house. Got around my places like Shadow does I guess. Sewers don’t bother me or the backstreets. Both of you are probably safer in them with me.

Gora was just walking and looking around and… walking some more. Well, no. She was doing more than that--she was followin’. This band of peoples was new to her noggin’, but at least she could recognize good ole Pip! Whoa, wait; was Pip still there?

...Yep. He was. Good. Gora almost half-thought (a whole half more than her usual) she’d lost track of her new pal. That would’ve been tragic. And saddening. Wait… tragic is just saddening, but worse.

Where were they going again? The half-orc had forgotten, but at least she was gonna get some coin out of this. Coin was always good. Pa drilled that deep into her head, so she knew for sure that coin was always good… Anyway, “Whazzit bout a yute house?” she asked, sleepy eyes staying back and forth between her new friends and… potential friends? Hopefully. That was always good too.

Spinning on the spot, Sylva turned the air blue with curse words as her eyes landed on the strange party that contained a man she had just robbed. She was getting sloppy; he should never have laid eyes on her again. For a moment the half-elf was still before fainting to the right, then the left before going right once again.

Rights and lefts and lefts and rights, right, ri… err, Gora lost track. When did she even start tracking the other little buddy? Mreh, she couldn’t remember, but she remembered that it didn’t matter much to begin with. Releasing Pip, Gora trained her sleepy eyes on Sylva and just as she was preparing to dash, an arm lashed out like finicky instinct, latching onto the back of the thief’s collar.

“Oi… What’sa got you squirrely? Guts bubbling’?” Now that, Gora could understand. Bubble guts were a dangerous enemy to have, especially when the loo wasn’t nearby.

“Geerrr oorrfff… o me.” Desperately scrabbling with her feet to try and regain her balance while her arms scratched and clawed behind her head at whoever was holding her. And then there was the feeling of something slick underfoot and the half-elfs feet shot out from under her, leaving her hanging by her collar. Now Sylva’s hands scrabbled at her own clothes as they conspired to choke her.

Gora’s eyes widened, if only a little, when the little on started garbling and such. She’d heard that sound before. When she and Pa were extra drunk with some business friends, the night had started out nice. Real good. Lots of laughter and rosey cheeks and hot pink noses.

But then somebody had dared Pa to wolf down pounds worth of mutton without ale. Spiced well, but dry. He had started garbling like crazy that one night too and it thanks to Gora’s heavy hand whacking him in the back that he was still breathing to this day.

Choking. Little one here was choking.

“Oop, upsy daisy then.” Muttering unintelligibly, the half orc shifted her hold on Sylva and hoisted her up by the waist, draping her over a meaty green shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Eh… A cared for sack of potatoes. So with plenty of gentleness. Gora patted her back. “There’s there. Do all ya breathin’.”​

A collaboration with @Mobley Eats

• Love
It doesn't take long for Callahan to gauge the mood of the group, the fact that most of you would rather move quickly but unseen even if the route was a bit messy. He looks around and the discreetly leads you around the back side of the tavern where he moves aside the grating that Sylva had earlier seen the children disappeared under.

"The path is narrow here. I'll go first." He says softly before climbing down the ladder and moving aside so the rest can follow, "And i'll warn you now, I know the way, but I'm not much of a fighter. I know for a fact there are Rats and Slimes down here, and I can't say what else." His voice floats back up the shaft.

The ladder is cold and slightly damp to the touch as it descends into the darkness below. The only light comes from four softly glowing, small orbs that float around Callahan's head, the result of a cantrip. Though there seems to be brackets set in the wall where torches could be placed by workmen if needed. The path below is about five feet wide extending to the right and left of the ladder.

The ripe smell of sewage hits the nose and the air is slightly stale as well. the ground beneath is made up of paving stone, but they are well worn, cracked, and uneven. The walls as well are stone hewn some places looking built and others carved from the surrounding earth, this method of building gives some hint to the age of the catacombs.

There is a channel, five feet as well, filled with murky water, and on the other side another five foot wide path. About eighty feet to the right, visible to those with darkvision, id what looks like a stone bridge crossing the channel. To the left, about the same distance, is a dead end although it looks like the path might wrap around the end. Across the channel and about 20 feet diagonal, just visible in Callahan's casted light, is what look like a fork in thee path heading forward.

"We need to go that way," Callahan explains as you all join him, sending one of his lights to illuminate the forked branch. "We can either take the bridge or see if there's safe footing at the path end... unless you all want to try jumping the sewage?"

FIN

As they descended into the fetid darkness, Fin took a moment to adjust the brown scarf she wore around her nose and mouth. It wasn't the ideal path, certainly, but it seemed to be the general consensus that this was probably the best route to find the children, and if nothing else, she could handle a bit of unpleasantness, in favor of finding the darlings and making sure they were looked after. It seemed prudent, however, that they prepare themselves for whatever might meet them along the way, and judging by the good Father's warning, that was a likely occurrence.

Turning then to their hulking companion, the orc woman who had been so earlier enthralled by her story, Fin grinned beneath her scarf and pulling it down just she cleared her throat, "If you don't mind... Just... just one more moment?"

Holding up her finger, she shifted once more to Gora, and pulling her fiddle free, gave it a small strum with her fingers, before her voice softly echoed off the narrow sewer walls.

"Have I told you, friends, the story of a lass that we adore'a
Taller, stronger, fiercer, no creature's found I'm sure'a
Into the darkness, we do trek, uncertainty our aura
But no doubt in mind of our success, 'cause we've brought along our Gora..."

Slinging her fiddle onto her back again, she gave a small nod and a smile, "That's all... We can go, now. Seems that bridge might be our best wager?"

TAGS || @Falcon, @Mobley Eats, @Everyone else
USED | ONE Bardic Inspiration (to Gora (d6) - Lasts 10 minutes

In the privacy of her head, Sylva added quite a lot of rude words to the bard’s song about the half-witted half-orc who had her draped over their shoulder. She had given up trying to wriggle free long ago; whenever she did the moron only held on tighter rather than taking a hint and letting her go.

As for the priest's question about which way to go, Sylva’s only response was an exasperated huff. Her world view was currently that of the sewers behind the half-orc so the holy man’s words were all but meaningless; besides she was pretty sure she had no actual choice in which way they went. Her only hope was that whichever way they went, Gora would somehow drop her on dry land and then fall face first into the unknowable sludge that filled the channel.​

(Okay going to try to reboot this a little - @Applo, @Elle Joyne, @Lazeration, @Mobley Eats, @Sail, @The Wanderer)

No one noticed Thandal stepping back away from the sewer grate until he was gone. He had his own means of finding people, and another job to do this night. He's go take care of that and then possibly, meet up with this group in the future. If they succeeded his debt would still be paid. If they failed he needed to be able to fund his payments by other means. If everything went well, light willing, he'd see them again someday.

Down in the sewer Callahan nodded to the Bard's wisdom. "Bridge it is. If you don't mind I will let someone else lead the way. I can give directions well enough, but if trouble pops up I don't have any weapons on me at the moment."

Hearing these words, and feeling encouraged by the bard's song, or maybe the better word was more aware... awake? Gora plopped Sylva on here feet. "Don't worry. I can protect you. Maybe later we can all share a round of drinks."

• Nice Execution!

“I’ll be fine!”

Coldly shrugging away from the half orc’s grasp, Sylva took a moment to pat herself down and check that all of her possessions were still where they should be. It was mostly a matter of habit. By her estimations, Gora was too dim witted to steal an apple from an orchard, let alone lift something from Sylva’s pockets without her noticing it. Once she was satisfied, the half-elf moved next to the priest.

“I’ll go ahead. The dark has never been a problem for me and if there is anything down here, I’ll see it before it sees me.”

Without waiting, Sylva went to set off only to stop again after perhaps five paces.

“Father, can you call that beacon back to you? It will let everyone know we are down here.”

With that, the half-elf once again set off towards the illuminated fork.​