D&D Adventure!! (Interest Check)

Mfw I can't decide to choose between: Fighter Knight dude, Monk dude and possible Plague Doctor if allowed.

Well. You entertained me greatly just in that first post lol. Quick question, because I'm 'that guy'... Will you be going the Matt Mercer route regarding character death (where even death is reversible if you can find the right cleric)..

My biggest hesitation with D&D is always that DMs seem sooooo hungry for that "roll a new character, sucker' vibe and I honestly detest that. I invest in characters pretty intensely and having to create someone entirely new because a troll got a lucky shot with his club just makes me cringey.

Well. You entertained me greatly just in that first post lol. Quick question, because I'm 'that guy'... Will you be going the Matt Mercer route regarding character death (where even death is reversible if you can find the right cleric)..

My biggest hesitation with D&D is always that DMs seem sooooo hungry for that "roll a new character, sucker' vibe and I honestly detest that. I invest in characters pretty intensely and having to create someone entirely new because a troll got a lucky shot with his club just makes me cringey.

I'm never going to actively try and kill peoples characters. There are plenty of ways of going about failed death saves that isn't perma-character death. To me, it's essentially failure, and there are ways to fit failure into the narrative that doesn't mean death. So for instance, so you guys fight a bunch of bandits that end up routing the party, but one of you goes down and fails to get away and you fail all your death saves. Well an option I have narrative-ly is that your character could've gotten captured by the bandits.

However, doing stupid stuff that results in death, results in death (like jumping off a high cliff, swimming in lava, etc..)

Beautiful - I will definitely be keeping an eye on this, then :)

Second question, more mechanics based -- will you be using Roll20 or Dicecloud or anything? And hey :) If you need a world map lemme know LOL I make them XD

Beautiful - I will definitely be keeping an eye on this, then :)

Second question, more mechanics based -- will you be using Roll20 or Dicecloud or anything? And hey :) If you need a world map lemme know LOL I make them XD

I always need world maps O_O

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to check those two out. I guess it depends on how people want to play :P

I've used dicecloud quite a bit (as it coordinates so nicely with Discord and the commands/set up is pretty easy - not to mention you can use Markdown script (that's a personal nerd thing and utterly unrelated XD)), but Roll20 is also pretty decent from what I've heard :). There's also dice on the site, but I'm not familiar with how they work/how efficient they'd be for D&D.

And just so you have an example - this is a map I did recently for a friend's campaign! I'm always down for map makin'!

• Love
Reactions: Cwispy
I've used dicecloud quite a bit (as it coordinates so nicely with Discord and the commands/set up is pretty easy - not to mention you can use Markdown script (that's a personal nerd thing and utterly unrelated XD)), but Roll20 is also pretty decent from what I've heard :). There's also dice on the site, but I'm not familiar with how they work/how efficient they'd be for D&D.

And just so you have an example - this is a map I did recently for a friend's campaign! I'm always down for map makin'!

View attachment 181241

That's pretty amazing. I might has to keep you forever.

tenor.gif

View attachment 181241

That's pretty amazing. I might has to keep you forever.

tenor.gif

Lolol totally not creeped out in any way!!

• According to Plan
Just for future ref, are we using Ranger Classic or Revised Ranger?

@Lithium There is indeed.

@Liath I would leave that up to whomever wanted to play the Ranger. I for one would want to play the revised Ranger.

@Lithium @Liath @Elle Joyner @One Who Tames @Vio @Chaac

Okay, I got a quick announcement. First I want everyone to briefly weigh in on what type of campaign they'd like to play;

A low magic campaign with grimdark overtones. In this type of campaign magic is rare in most of the world, and the uneducated are superstitious and fearful. A lot of the things you'd typically expect in a medieval fantasy environment are darker and grittier. This campaign would benefit from employing variant rules that limit healing and ask for longer rests between adventures. HP is now a measure of your ability to sustain combat without injury, rather than how many blows you can take before going down.

Heroic fantasy! What D&D and the base rules of the PHB assume. In this setting the various races of the world coexist with humans and heroes come from all walks of life, and magic is common. Our heroes can sustain a lot of beatings and continue their quests for... well whatever it is they want to quest for.

Epic fantasy? This campaign emphasizes the conflicts between good and evil, with adventurers squarely on the side of good. This campaign closely resembles heroic fantasy except that our band of heroes will be embroiled in an EPIC quest to save the world or something.

Intrigue?? :o
This is the cloak and dagger campaign setting, where roleplaying and social interaction take to the forefront. This campaign setting might see limited combat and instead focus on geopolitical schemes and conflicts rather than your typical dungeon delving. Skills would be emphasized rather than building a character for a particular combat role. A dwarf paladin focused on being a bulwark of defense might feel out of place among half elf bards and tiefling rogues.

Umm any other suggestions? Tell me what type of campaign you might like to play. All of these settings will assume the sandbox, but the hooks on those sandboxes will change based on the campaign. Personally a low magic more grimdark campaign setting is my favorite, and I do like a bit of realism in my games (although I most often just play heroic fantasy like most D&D players).

Also, I'm going to get a discord up and running tomorrow, and a setting (with variant rules, starting levels a bit of lore, list of gods, ect) out to you lovelies hopefully by next week. When the discord goes up, you can all start talking together about your characters. I personally love it when players find a way to tie characters together, and its especially amazing when all the party is tied together somehow. But it is ultimately your character and up to you. Just remember D&D and forum roleplaying are both group efforts. If you wanted to adventure alone you could play a video game or read a novel, and if you wanted to write alone, well you could just go write alone xD

Your manner of handling HP in the Grim setting sounds pretty close to how I view it. Low magic is always a plus. I'll put in a vote for that.

• Love
Any of them seem cool to partake in. I am impartial to a good ol' fashioned heroic tale.

But am willing to go with whatever the majority goes with.

• Thank You
In order of most to least preferred:

Low Magic
Heroic
Epic
Intrigue

Incidentally this is the same order they are posted.

• Bucket of Rainbows
The word intrigue makes my soul smile. I'm not big on anything grimdark, cause, well... I use phrases like 'makes my soul smile'. Also not opposed to the Heroes quest or epic. Wouldn't mind seeing something of a mashup of these ideas, either. Like bits of intrigue mushed into the epic setting... With a little chunk of the angstiet realm sprinkled around?

Is that crazy? Sounds crazy... Lol

• OMG
Well since I think it's pretty evenly split between heroic, intrigue, and the low-magic darker setting, I may have to dash together all three into one MONSTROUS AMALGAMATION!! Like some ice-cream with three different flavored scoops. I don't think, as far as intrigue goes specifically, the entire setting needs to be based around that. I think I'll throw in intrigue plot hooks for an arc that revolves around a geo-political struggle that the party could tackle at a higher level (when they has better skills).

What I might do is this; as you get further away from centers of civilization the setting can take on darker elements (monsters raiding villages, towns under the thrall of a vampire, and little to no magic in rural communities which make yokels highly suspicious). But when we get back to civilization, large cities will take on the more heroic flair with magical academies, artificer districts, skyships?-- things like that.

Reactions: Esmeray