Cyberpunk Roleplay - Looking for writers and creators.

T

Taska Vilna

Original poster
I've got the ideas, the minutia, the clutter. But I can't put it to a roleplay or design any kind of attractive aesthetic around it. Need help.

Looking for anyone who can craft a good story, people who can write up roleplays, BB code pros etc.

Bonus if you're interested in joining to begin with.

Details in the next post.

So I'm infatuated with the idea of a cyberpunk environment. lots of dark city streets and people plugged into police drones and catching viruses from infected prostheses. I'm looking for a plot that evolves around the interplay between the post-society corporate sector and the drifters and grifters that litter trashy back alleys and tent cities where mysterious old men sell modded Chinese cyber-eyes and brain chips.

rebels against power,

Deceit and espionage, traitors on both sides giving information for credits.

This is the world I want to build, but I need so much help.

What exactly do you need help with? How detailed are you thinking? o.o

What exactly do you need help with? How detailed are you thinking? o.o

Like, I want to make a roleplay around this, but I don't have the gumption or knowhow. I've no story to go along with it.

I guess im looking for some way, be it a person or template or instructional, to turn my ideas into an actual storytelling arc, with pictures, and cool things, and words I don't know.

Like, I want to make a roleplay around this, but I don't have the gumption or knowhow. I've no story to go along with it.

I guess im looking for some way, be it a person or template or instructional, to turn my ideas into an actual storytelling arc, with pictures, and cool things, and words I don't know.

So, you're looking for someone to help you build a plot around what you've pictured, correct?

Among other things, yes.

What are the other things?

So far, it looks like you have a pretty basic outline. Rebels are up against the government for some reason and the setting is in a really crappy part of town; Which side would people be playing? The government or the rebels? Why are they up against them? Is it because of the infections from infected prostheses? Are those infections killing their loved ones? Do they think the government is lying about something big, like some huge science project that has to do with the prostheses?

What are the other things?

So far, it looks like you have a pretty basic outline. Rebels are up against the government for some reason and the setting is in a really crappy part of town; Which side would people be playing? The government or the rebels? Why are they up against them? Is it because of the infections from infected prostheses? Are those infections killing their loved ones? Do they think the government is lying about something big, like some huge science project that has to do with the prostheses?

I mean, the thing about prosthetics is just an environmental detail, a thing that happens on occasion, not neccessarily plot related.

And thats part of what im trying to accomplish i think, is to build the world i see in my mind, and still keep it concise enough for roleplay purposes. I've never really made any kind of roleplay of this scale before so i just dont know where half this stuff fits.

The plot is really up in the air, im not too sure.

And i'd like for players to be on both sides of the conflict, if i can get enough to join.

As far as a more detailed plot goes.

I imagine something along the lines of some kind of globalized embargo on essentials for lower class citizens, weapons, water, some kind of phlebotinum to motivate the "good guy" cast.

yknow?

On the other side, the "Bad guy" cast has some kind of huge benefit to gain from manipulating whatever resource this is, likely from a bigger, badder organization.

And that interaction would round out the first act, ostensibly culminating in a joint action between the "bad guys" and the "good guys" agains the aformentioned NGO.

I wouldn't know how to drive the two together though without literally prewriting the whole story, and that would completely defeat the purpose of it being a roleplay.

idk.

Mm, well, in my experience, if you're creating a whole world for a roleplay, having characters from both sides would stint the growth of the roleplay (as that also means having a large group base) and make it difficult for people to interact (as you would have figure out multiple plot lines where they could be driven together). Many others I've seen also have trouble doing both sides, so I would suggest sticking to one side, but if you feel you're confident in doing both, I'll support your decision.

• Useful
Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
Alright, I'm not certain I have the time/capability to join this when it gets going, but I'll chuck in a bit of advice because I've seen roleplays go down in a bad way because of the thing.

Don't try to play both sides. If you had a small group, like three or four dedicated players (or less who play multiple characters) it might be a feasible thing to do both equally, but in a general group roleplay it's really difficult. Too easy for the numbers to be imbalanced on both sides or one gets more focus from you as a GM because there's a more "vocal" person on that side. It's also too easy for one side to move faster or move slower than the other, which can mess pacing up for both sides. And yes, you could have everyone play one character on each side, but some people don't like to double or they may favor one character over the other or lose interest in one character. Not to mention the even higher potential for pacing issues.

It sounds to me like you have an interesting basis for a universe, but I think you're shooting too high for a plot. It doesn't have to be elaborate, laid out point by point; you want a direction to go in, but you don't need too much more than that. Let the players and their characters drive it a little bit, yeah?

All that said, I think I could pretty reliably write up a good enough story, and work up my world to my liking,

But how to structure a roleplay, design it, the code and the layout, how to make sure things are consumer friendly yet detailed enough to get information across.

:V

All that said, I think I could pretty reliably write up a good enough story, and work up my world to my liking,

But how to structure a roleplay, design it, the code and the layout, how to make sure things are consumer friendly yet detailed enough to get information across.

Don't worry about code, layout, design, and all that until you've got a solid plot down hon (and after that, know what kind of lore you want to present to other roleplayers). It's possible to just look at pictures for inspiration but don't worry about all those design and layout details until you know what you're putting out on the table for other roleplayers and have a general sense of direction plot-wise. :)

Hands down the most time-consuming part of making roleplays and 92% of why I have, thus far, only co-GMed some things. I can help with codes and editing, probably? I'm no BB magician but I mess around with divs and know how to make good looking stuff.

And, yes! Deacon is my fave. I just...want to keep him without doing the entire Railroad thing. If only that were possible.

EDIT:
Don't worry about code, layout, design, and all that until you've got a solid plot down hon (and after that, know what kind of lore you want to present to other roleplayers). It's possible to just look at pictures for inspiration but don't worry about all those design and layout details until you know what you're putting out on the table for other roleplayers and have a general sense of direction plot-wise. :)
Also solid advice.

I'm interested in helping! :D I like world building. :3 If you need help establishing structure and society and what not, why not visit this part of the site?

• Useful
Reactions: junebug